“First holiday together” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 364 hotels in Alanya
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“First holiday together”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We'd been looking for an all-inclusive holiday on a budget for the October half term and gone in to loads of High street travel agents to be told we would get nothing on our budget. I then discovered Green Dot Travel, would highly recommend going through this company (ask for Rinkal) they were so hopeful. We arrived just before dinner on the 29th October, and we were completely blown away; yes it's probably not 5 stars by some peoples standards (if you go to Jamaica and places like that...) but for two 18 year olds, Beach Club Doganay was out of this world. Our transfer had took about an hour and a half (I'd recommend going with smaller companies as there is less drop offs and our friends took 3 hours with their transfer). We were taken up to our room very quickly and we were VERY HAPPY with it, found the extra single bed odd but hey ho, just used it to put out bags on as we packed our clothes away etc. Loved that they had a bath, found the tap a bit rubbish so I'd run it with the shower head, but I couldn't complain as I was just happy to have a bath really haha.

The food was great and my boyfriend loved it, but after about 4 days it was getting a bit repetitive and they stopped the live cooking outside as the end of season was nearing. We were completely gutted that we never got to eat at the a la carte, we went to book a table and they were fully booked then closing 4 days before our stay was over! Another complaint was the poor quality of desserts, I have a proper sweet tooth but found nothing very nice the whole week... I couldn't see any evidence of racism from the Turkish staff towards the English till about half way through the week where one of the waiters (with filthy fingernails ew), would put extras in the cocktails for the Russians then ask us English to pay extra or point blank refuse, we ended up reporting him to the night manager and he never bothered us again!

Entertainment was great on the nights we went to them but not long enough in all honesty, the free shuttle bus was brilliant too but we also caught the other bus on occasions and that was only about £1 anyway. The walls were a bit thin in the rooms too, I kept hearing an Arabic man singing in the shower when I went in the bathroom, the free use of the safe was good also. Mini fridge was restocked daily, but our friends on the first floor didn't get this treatment. We found some good television for when we were getting ready on the nights etc, which was good.

The phones to buy phone cards for were rubbish and wouldn't phone back to the UK, i'd suggest using the machines in Alanya harbour rather than the ones in the hotel by the shop. The indoor pool should have been heated really, i think the idea of free turkish bath and sauna was good but i didn't fancy having a fat greasy man rubbing me down in all honesty... I nearly had an asthma attack in the sauna and it burnt the inside of my nostrils but don't let that put you off as I'm probably a bit of a drama queen aha.

All in all a really good stay, I'd suggest going to Kleopatra Beach as the sand is marginally better than that of the private beach and it doesn't cost much to hire a sunbed for the day, the selection of all inclusive drinks was excellent and I really liked the seating area near reception, would recommend to others, and I myself would come back if I hadn't already been to Turkey a few times. Really good value for money!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony near the front and higher up so you won't be left staring at bins.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

483 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We arrived around 10:30 pm on say 18th we got our room sorted out quickly and then we went out to discover the building. We went to the shops, the beach, around the hotel in general. It was beautiful the middle loungers in the lobby were always taken though.

Our first day we went down for breakfast and it was amazing, such a good selections like for fussy eaters pancakes and chocolate sauce. There's something for everyone. We went to the busy fun pool after breakfast and we found sun loungers pretty easily. Our two daughters set off for the pool. They came back running saying its freezing and that they didn't want to go in. Instead of going for a swim they went and got cokes and a plate of chips (all inclusive) then the animation team came out. They are all so friendly and try their hardest to get you motivated and to do the activities. After a while my eldest daughter decided to put up with the cold water and swim she said it was fine after a min or two as long as you swim about. She had shots on the slides multiple times. Don't be
Fool by the pictures though the slides aren't as big as they looked.

Our room was amazing we had one of the front balconies instead of the side ones. We thought it was beautiful and we enjoyed watching the sun set. The only issues we had were the slide doors started rolling down as soon as you shut it I made my own solution and fixed it yet the maids consisted to put it back unfixed.

Night time the meals are amazing but the que for the bar is bad. But the drinks were good. My eldest daughter enjoyed the mixed juice non alcoholic drink alot.

The Turkish bath was good but something was strange. You can keep your swim suit on because its Children can get bubbles and a face mask.

Night time there was the live shows they had cultural ones and funny ones and the mini disco went on before then! We went to them all the only one we left half way through was comedy night the receptionist act wasn't funny just annoying really.

The beach was good but it wasn't sand. It was gritty rocks I would suppose. It was either too hot to walk on with bare feet but if you worse crocs or sandals then it would just hurt your toes. Once your in the sea you get pulled back to the shore quite powerfully but there is parts to stand on like rocks to keep your balance. The lunch down at the beach was far better it was a buffet and they had desserts while the fun pool only served chips and a burger.

The staff are friendly and the animation team aren't shy! They will come over and be like a friend to you and make sure you feel comfortable and that you are enjoying your holiday.

This holiday was amazing thanks to Dōganay!
Thanks so much and it will be considerable if we come again next year :)

Stayed October 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

This review reflects the modern block of the hotel we stayed in, the entrance lobby is situated at the side of the hotel so being dropped off at the front meant we were quite underwhelmed on arrival as we entered through a side exit. The main lobby is quite grand and what your would expect for the star rating. The Receptionist was polite and helpful and spoke excellent English. The lobby leads to an impressive atrium with rooms leading out onto the main space. Although this looks impressive it dose have the effect of sounds transfer from the space below, fortunately the doors to the rooms were well constructed and fitted as to reduce any disturbance. The same cannot be said of the bathroom walls or separating walls which appear quite thin. Usually this would not be a problem however due to the hotels 24 hour drinks policy the 'night owls' next door kept us up. The rooms are well furnished and clean with only minor defects to some fittings such as the shower grab rail and toilet seat. The showers were very powerful however there appeared to be times when hot water was limited.

There is a wide selection of facilities such as the beach bar and restaurant, the hotel is really very well equipped with 2 outdoor pools and 1 indoor. The private beach is ok however having stayed on the other side of alanya I can't say this beach was as good due to its rocky nature.

The food was edible but repetitive and did not live up to the standard of other similar hotels I have visited, the choices were quite wide, however many weren't really tailored to an English palette including poor cuts of meat. With a view from a british perspective this is an international hotel so expect some cultural clashes in terms of Queuing, children etc over what is acceptable behaviour.
What really let's this hotel down is the service standards, there was often a lack of tables, cutlery, crockery, wine etc unless you queued up at the start of dinner. This is very frustrating, as an autumn destination the indoor dining facilities need enlarging and more staff are required to cover the turn around, I made my own table on several occasions.

The bar is also very similar to small and under staffed to cope at peak times, a lack of indoor seating also made it difficult at times, you do not expect to sit on the floor in a so called 5 star hotel.

This hotel could be amazing, the things I would change are-
Limit the hours of service for alcohol to 2am to reduce rowdiness
Employ more waiters and restaurant staff
Increase the amount of indoor seating both for dining and the bar area
Decrease the amount of variety of food and focus on quality dishes that are more in theme (ie don't put Chinese style curry with mash potatoes?
Open up a second indoor bar area as queue times were completely unacceptable
Decrease the amount of spirits in cocktails and mixers, these completely overpowered the drinks.

Over all its a good cheap holiday but don't expect great service standards and food choice.

Room Tip: Ask for the new block when booking
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I have stayed in many non-European 5 star hotels and know what to expect. Last year we stayed at the Viking Star in Kemer (also Turkey) which we gave 5 stars to on Tripadvisor and paid a similar price for. However, this hotel was extremely poor in comparison.

It was no 8 on Tripadvisor when we booked and is now no 20. Having looked at other reviews on this website, we can only conclude that different people receive different treatment at Beach Club Doganay or standards have dropped a lot.

Our rooms were grubby and dirty (see pics, dirty carpets, damaged bathroom, dirty staff area directly outside our rooms where staff would sit on the floor at different times of the day, blocked bathtub that was not fixed despite request). Two days after raising the issues we were offered a familly room which we did not accept as it was smaller than the two rooms we had paid for. We were then showed a larger clean suite but were asked for 50 euros per night extra, when we refused to pay the manager said 30 euros. When we said we had paid for 2 rooms already and were not happy, they eventually offered two cleaner rooms which we settled into.

This hotel is unique in that the management do not care about customer experience. I showed the General Manager (Mr Mustafa) the pictures I have posted here as well as the Front of House Manager. The General Manager just made excuses that the room would be refurbished after the season offering no alternatives and the Front of House manager was just plain rude, with no manners in how he dealt with guests. Staff in general, apart from reception staff, were not friendly or helpful.

On top of all of this, two in our group of 6 became sick with severe stomach bugs during the trip. My wife met a lady from Manchester in the restaurant who told us her son amongst other guests were also very sick with the same thing, her son ending up in hospital on a drip for two days. She kindly gave us some mild tablets to settle the stomach. On return to the UK our doctor said the illness was most likely due to poor food hygiene, and I did notice flys sitting on food during breakfast.

I also felt that one waiter in the restaurant in particular was racist. He would pull out chairs for European guests but when we asked for basic things like cutlery he would ignore us. I mentioned this to the waiter earlier on and to one of the managers on my last day when he was in the restaurant, he seemed to take the issue seriously but then approached the waiter, chuckled something and walked on.

One big negative was that the indoor pool is not heated and cannot be heated. For a late season holiday this is a must, as our children normally spend two hours a day in the pool during holidays. This was not possible at this hotel.

The hotel is isolated and Alanya has little to offer apart from the Castle and the beach. The beaches in south Turkey are poor compared to other countries we have visited with stony/grainy sand and narrow strips of beach.

I would not visit this hotel again or recommend it to anyone as I have done with Viking Star. Overall we had a poor experience which spoilt our holiday.

There are many other hotels in the area, don't take the risk - book elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We spent a week here at October half term 3 adults and 2 children aged 10 and 12.
Hotel was clean, room was a good size, fresh towels each day. Balcony large with a sea view. Pools clean and big but freezing cold. kids loved the slides, plenty of sun beds.
Sea beautiful, very clean, warm and clear with little fish swimming about. A bit uneven to enter due to rock /coral but once in the water it is fine.
Bars had long queues, only one open in the evening, friendly bar staff.
Entertainment was ok but only for an hour and a half in the evening, plenty to do in the day around pool such as darts, mini golf, yoga, basketball. table tennis and football.
Food good but a bit repetitive, hard to find a table if you go for dinner at 6:30 -7 pm.
Tea making facilities in room means a kettle, you have to hunt around the hotel for tea bags and ask at lobby bar for a carton of milk.
nowhere to walk to in the evening, you can get a bus from outside the hotel to Alanya for 3 lira where there are lots of shops selling fake goods, or to Konakli town for 1 lira 50 which we thought was better than Alanya.
Boat trips from Alanya boatyard for around 40 lira per adult ( about £13) and half that for children, 4 hours on boat including lunch and drinks.
While we were there most guests were English.
Beach bar is lovely to sit and have a drink while watching sunset or for during the day when at the beach to grab a drink and something to eat, however food was nicer at the main restaurant.
main road outside hotel is very busy day and night and as I am a light sleeper I had trouble getting to sleep due to the noise.
Animation team were brilliant and really friendly, especially Sando.
We would not go back here due to lack of things to do outside of the hotel, if you want to go away and spend all of your time in the hotel then beach club Doganay will be ok for you.

Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We flew to Alanya, Turkey not knowing really what to expect after reading such mixed reviews. We had the holiday of a life time and the fully inclusive is one fo the best we have experienced. The hotel staff were helpful and we tipped the restaurant waiter to ensure we got a nice window seat table for lunch/dinner with our favourite drinks ready and waiting for us. We experienced the Turkish bath - spa, massage etc and anyone who visits, this is a must! We bought lots of goods in the markets (Tuesday Alanya, Friday Konakli) and bazzars - enjoy the haggling.

The food was amazing and such a grand selection with buffet style, all you can eat, as many courses and cultural foods you could wish for (including the standard spaghetti bolognese, soups and salad and chips) as well as a range of excellent meats, kebabs, vegetarian foods and wonderful cakes.

We will go back in October next year - if not before! We stayed away from the water slides as our 17 year old and 13 year old wanted to chill and relax away from the noise and other events such as zumba and water volleyball. We loved the private beach and the restaurant swimming pool on the beach side.

The room and balcony were clean with a daily visit for clean towels, mini bar cold soft drinks, and the beds to be made. We were allowed to keep our rooms until 4pm as our flight was not until after midnight.

I advise you to prebook your transfer as we got there within 1.5 hours on a small minibus, whilst others boarded a coach and went to every hotel on the way and arrived 3 hours after us.

I strongly advise you not to bother with the a la carte restaurant as it's Italian was rubbish and we ended up going back in to the normal buffet restaurant after, too eat nice food.

My children loved the para sailing on the beach (£25 each) and we enjoyed the boat trip. Cleopatra beach is lovely and a must. Lots of pirate ships floating around the coastline with tours.

Enjoy
Amanda

Room Tip: sea view with balcony is a must and worth the extra
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

IGNORE ALL THE BAD REVIEWS! Just returned from a brilliant two week stay. After seeing some of the bad reviews left before we went we were worried, but the holiday just got better and better. All the staff were really friendly and helpful. If you make an effort with them, they will go beyond their job to help you. (We even got a smile from the blond lady collecting glasses in the lobby). The animation team were the best I have ever experienced, with the most people I have ever seen getting involved in the pool games. They were also always up for a chat and a joke. Especially Mario and Ersin (Lady Gay Gay).

Although in need of a little TLC here and there, you couldn't fault the hotel on cleanliness. The hotel itself is situated just out of Alanya, but there is a free bus from the hotel if you want to go shopping, experience the buzz of the town and visit the harbour.

There was an excellent choice in food, lots of new things to try - which is part of going on holiday abroad! My mum had courgette and aubergine nearly every day for breakfast. There is chicken, chips and spag bol for the fussy eater. Drinks are available 24 hours which was great and the fridges of bottled water made drinking enough throughout the day so much easier. The only downfall is the pools were so cold! But the sea was lovely to swim in! Every day was rounded off with a visit to the turkish bath (which is free) and a cocktail (included in the AI package). Thankyou to all the staff at the Doganay that made this holiday a trip to remember!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Beach Club Doganay? Share your experiences!