“I was working in royal kenz,waiter in the restaurant and in a LA carte restaurant. is the best hotel in sousse .” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Kenz Hotel

You added Royal Kenz Hotel to your Saves list
Royal Kenz Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   | Jinene El Kantaoui, Port El Kantaoui 4089, Tunisia   |
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Sousse Governorate, Tunisia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I hope everyone ho think to have holiday just 1 choice is royal kenz hotel 4*.fantastic hotel,clean,nice rooms, lovely food,fresh salads,3 deferent restaurant a LA carte(Italian, Indian, steak house ) .....is your second home,

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Polish first
daventry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This is a very nice quiet hotel. Beautiful gardens and a short walk to the very deserted beach. Crystal blue waters of the Hammamet Bay are very inviting, but, not very warm in March! Rooms are quite well presented and service is excellent. There's not much to do in the evening but if you are looking for a quiet,relaxing stay then this is the place. Speak just a little Arabic and the staff are very pleased and they will look after you.

Room Tip: ask for a garden view
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

To anyone travelling to Tunisia engrave 20th March on your heart, this is independence day and the weekend on which this occurs should be avoided at all costs. We have just experienced the consequences at The Royal Kenz hotel in Kantaoui, although to be fair there were other hotels involved according to reports we heard at the airport, no doubt their experiences will appear alongside ours . In fairness to the hotel ,it provided excellent facilities,including room standards and food,the staff were also first class, however the management structure alongside that of Thomson Holidays seems inadequate to say the least. After 5 days of a enjoyable week, the Thomson representative informed us that on Fri 20th March there would be 900 Tunisia staying at the hotel,having experienced their presence previously though on a much smaller scale I could not contemplate the situation. In the event their arrival became a cross between a plague of locusts and a cattle stampede.All the seating areas were taken up to start with, like other guests we sheltered in our rooms awaiting evening meal. Manners went out the windows a general free for all ensued , all the food was devoured by their onslaught even if we could find a plates, seating obvoudue to numbers was in short supply, the waiting staff were more than apologetic, (we had around 12 to 15 early in week to service round 100 individuals, no increases were made to deal with the new arrivals). They were subjected to abuse like ourselves, hardly, if any senior management were visible to deal with the situation or direct operations, drinks dispensers became empty and not filled up, entertainment staff together with bar staff indeed anyone spare tried to join in and help. The situation was impossible, the Thomson reappeared oblivious to events when we approached her, saying no one else had complained although all around her was in disarray. She arranged with hotel to segregate an area in restaurant for breakfast, the signs I position proved little deterrant to the Tunisians and they occupied the area as before, likewise lunchtime. With little assistance from Thomson together with another couple we proceeded to meet with the General Manager, to his credit he raised his hands in apology unable to offer any resistance. We discussed events, he suggested that the volume of arrivals was taken out of his hands by his superiors and he had been left yo his own devices which included inability to recruit others to help.He proceeded to open one of the ala carte restaurants to service UK customers only and also another bar area again just for UK customers. This action partly eased congestion was greatly received by all of us The Royal Kenz provides perfectly fine overall accommodation , just beware when booking around that time !!!!! Thomson should be aware of this national event and make arrangements suitable for the occasion .Thankyou to Ridha Jeghams for all his help x

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Lovely hotel happy staff and clean rooms 10 mins walk to beach.

Food good variety van be slightly undercooked
The spa was amazing as was the entertainment team.

Evening entertainment was varied could be incredible or terrible.

Good choice of excursions.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My husband and I have just returned once more from Royal Kenz Hotel, Port el Kantaoui, Tunisia. This was I think our 22nd visit since 2003 and we were amazed to find only about 50 people staying there, if that. This hotel is usually busy so come on folks let get more visitors to this hotel as it's worth a visit.
The food is great, staff are excellent and the hotel has a very homely feel about it.
The Spa is wonderful as is the hairdresser and I talk from experience.
The safes in the rooms are a bit expensive but at least your valuables and paperwork are safe.

John & Isabel

Room Tip: We prefer the third floor but all the rooms are good and if you prefer you can have a sea/pool view...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Greater London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have just returned from my first visit to Tunisia and I was extremely impressed. This hotel is very comfortable with friendly, helpfully staff. The food is nicely varied so there was something for everyone. Having travelled all around the country I found, without exception, that everyone was friendly, curteous and eager to help. Please visit this country already struggling from events in 2011. You will not be disappointed. I will certainly be going back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden, its quieter and nicer
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Firstly, the hotel itself is nice enough. Yes, it is a little dated, but it does have charm and what you would expect. Overall, the hotel was very clean, rooms, pool etc.

When we arrived we had not gotten a room that had what we paid for (non-twin bed), turns out this may be advisable to pay extra for, as the room we first got allocated overlooked some desert on the side and was very small. When we complained we were first ignored and reception staff were not very polite. Through persistence we were eventually given a room with a balcony overlooking the pools, which was much, much larger and nicer. Rooms were dated and some parts desperate for a stroke of paint, but clean and nice overall. The doors are quite thin however, and in the beginning we woke up every morning around 7 when people went off to reserve sunbeds, you could hear much of what happened in the hallways. We got used to this after a few days though, and slept through, so it wasn't a massive issue for us.

The staff were like nothing I've come across anywhere else, and I have been around. I spent a lot of time feeling uncomfortable due to this, and a lot of it was due to the extreme tipping culture. It says all inclusive, but you have to constantly carry cash around with you - as if someone does you a small favour of any kind, even if you did not ask for it, you will have to tip - or face grumpy mumbling in your direction. I have worked in the service industry in both Norway and the UK, and therefore I always make sure to tip, and tip extra when it is due, as I know how it can feel not to be tipped - but I found it exhausting in Tunisia, both with hotel staff and elsewhere, to be treated as a money machine. No service felt genuine, and waiters frequently got visibly annoyed with hotel guests.

I also got very ill from the food, which was very stressful. Never mind all inclusive when you're stuck on a crackers and sprite diet for most of the holiday, unable to venture outside the hotel. I spoke to others who experienced the same, and my better half did as well - though he was not as ill as I was which may be due to us eating different things. I would eat crackers and drink sprite whenever I got ill, and stick on that for a couple days, then try to eat something carefully selected from the buffet.. However, 1-2 days later I'd be ill again. I also didn't find the food selection very good, however the desserts were amazing. I may be biased on that though, as I was terrified of trying new things as I kept getting ill.

Although there is a beach not far from the hotel which looked very nice, we went there twice and the first time I got stung by a tiny jellyfish that was impossible to see. Many others did as well, both days we were there, and lifeguards mostly ran around with ointments for people in agony. Therefore if you're looking for a beach holiday I would not recommend this hotel, or this area, as you'd basically be poolside-bound.

Another thing to consider are the Russians tourists that you'll have to live side-by-side with here, at least when we were there in September. They are rude and will act as if they own the place, not hesitating to rip off your towels on your sunbeds while you're at lunch, for example. This isn't the hotels fault obviously, but still may be a factor.

We went on an excursion for a couple days, travelling by bus through much of Tunisia, down to and into the Sahara, spending the night in Bedouin tents, riding camels etc - which I hugely recommend. It takes you out and you actually get to experience the country. We were unlucky to not have very good weather, a sand storm in fact, and did not sleep much in the desert as the tent walls were basically just some sticks in the sand with blankets on, so in strong wind these blankets wouldn't help much. Which was fine, who needs privacy, except for the fact that this meant you and everything you owned got covered in sand (i woke up with a thin layer of sand looking like thick foundation, stuck on my face!)!! I quite enjoyed this, lizards and all, as it was an amazing adventure - this was what made the trip for me. It may not be for anyone though, you would need to come to terms with certain.. issues with being in the wilderness.

Overall, I do not recommend this hotel - it is not what I'd hoped and I quite frankly I found it stressful. The outright rude staff, tipping culture and food mainly, were not good. However, it is possible that you'd get many of these issues at any hotel in Tunisia, or this area anyway. There are positives however, mainly the cleanliness and the excursion (which was arranged by Thomson).

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking pools, and with non-twin beds, seemed to be larger.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Kenz Hotel? Share your experiences!