“A good 4 star hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Okehampton, United Kingdom
“A good 4 star hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Nice, clean hotel and extremely helpful and polite staff. Food was a little "samey" but ok, although at times was not as hot as I would have liked it. Having said that for the price we paid thought the whole holiday process was very reasonable and could not fault First Choice as an operator. Spent most of our time at the hotel as it was so hot and humid and you needed to be able to get to a pool quickly to cool off. Met some lovely people and had a nice holiday. Not sure it is a place I would rush back to, but will probably return sometime in the future.

Room Tip: High room to get a view of the pool at least
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Just returned from two weeks at the Royal Kenz Hotel had one off the best holidays of all the staff were very helpful and friendly. special thanks to our waiter in dinning room Hichem who was absolutely brilliant always had a welcoming smile and nothing was to much trouble for him. Also the bar staff were very good .Rooms were clean and well looked after, although replenishing of the in room drinks (ie coffee/ milk ) was not an automatic thing had to request the filling up at reception desk.

Room Tip: Certain rooms have no lift access
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
East Retford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Positives:-
Desreves its high score reviews on Trip Advisor.
Great hotel in fantastic grounds.
Well maintained and clean.
Well trained and friendly staff.
Bedding and towels changed every day.
Good balance of nationalities, not dominated by a single nationality as we read for other hotel reviews.
Much of the entertainement was above expectations and to be fair was often excellent.
Food was very good and varied.
The hotel caters well for food allergies.
We would not hesitate in rebooking the Royal Kenz in the future.
Negatives:-
The hotel hasn't fully adopted the all inclusive idea eg. room safe has to be paid for, minibar not stocked, steakhouse is not included and has to be paid for.
The gym opening times revolve around the spa opening times which was restrictive.
The hotel is not located on the beach although the hotel has a bar/food bar and deckchairs on a private section of the beach.
Not sure the hotel will remain all inclusive in the future.

Issues not part of the review of the hotel:-
Airport disorganised with long ques and very few staff to avoid que jumping.
Check in was poor with long ques ( however the Thomson reprentative did a great job in preventing que jumping) ,continually changing and conflicting advise on procedures (ie pre booking your seat results in a longer wait and pre printed tickets are not accepted but the check in staff still want to see them). Had no time to relax or shop before flying.
I don't understand the benefit's to Tunisia in operating a closed currancy.

Room Tip: Our room faced the main road, but because the hotel is set well back in landscaped gardens it was no...
Hamilton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

we stayed at this fantastic hotel on our honeymoon. I must say we can't fault anything about the hotel. Food, staff, rooms and the entertainment was all first class. We stayed in a superior room which had a fridge, plasma TV and tea and coffee facilities,with a lovely balcony and beautiful view. My wife enjoyed yoga each morning and I played volleyball, darts and table tennis with the friendly entertainment team. If we come to Tunisia we will definitely be staying at this hotel. The harbour in Port el Kantaoui is lovely with nice bars and only a short walk away. The food at the hotel is lovely and the steakhouse restaurant was great and such a romantic setting, for only a small extra cost. Different cocktails were on offer every night and the wine was very good for all inclusive. The American bar was good aswell, although this did incur a small extra cost. The shows were fantastic at night and there was always something to do. Weather helped aswell, great the whole holiday. Will definitely be recommending this hotel to family and friends.

Room Tip: Superior room worth the small extra cost
Ebbw Vale, South Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The Hotel is clean and very pleasant. Our room was lovely. The reception staff were very helpful because when we arrived I found that my sister was in a different part of the hotel. The reception offered us a room near theirs and took us to see our original room and the one being offered. They could not have been kinder.
The food was okay. There was plenty of choice. There was always lots of fresh fruit.
The problem was that everything had to be queued for. The drinks from the bar in the afternoon took 10 minutes or more in a queue. The evening was not quite so bad, as there were two bars then, but as everyone stayed in the hotel in the evening there was still a problem.
It was so disappointing. The boys serving on the main bar did not have time to take care over the drinks and quite often we were given the wrong spirits, leaving the drinks undrinkable.,
The beach was quite a walk from the hotel, it was very hot during the day. We tried walking back for lunch but found the heat unbearable. Staying on the beach for lunch in the beach bar was very disappointing. There were only paninis and rolls. You can get very tired of this every day.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was our 3rd visit to this hotel.

I had e mailed the hotel and asked for a specific room and even though I didn't get it they apologised on our arrival and gave us one just 2 doors away.
The room was nice and clean but the bathroom could do with updating.
There was some sort of bug at the hotel when we were there but on checking reviews of other hotels nearby they also had the same bug. Luckily it missed me.
The food in the restaurant was nice and there was always a good selection. Whilst there they decided to enforce the long trouser rule for the gents, this gave us some laughs as quite a few didn't like it and stood and argued, but they stood firm and long trousers were found.
I am an early riser so most mornings found me sat on the terrace around 5am and again this added to my amusement. I kid you not people were like ants putting their towels on beds at that time. We went to the beach every day where there was always plenty of sunbeds and Salam and the other boys down there greeted you and always came to chat. The beach bar opened at 10 and at lunch you could get paninis or walk back to the restaurant.
Lots of people have complained recently about this hotel, but for the price you pay (bargain)I would not complain, I would agree it is not a platinum hotel but for £700 for 2 weeks all inclusive what is there to complain about.
My sister and I paid to use the lounge at the airport on return and I can honestly say it is the best money we have ever spent. No queues and everything done for you.
Hopefully we will be returning in May where we will meet up with Les, Lesley, Sandra and Colin who all made our holiday enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I are frequent visitors to the Kenz, with at least 2-3 trips per year. I had not been since before the changes earlier this year so was apprehensive at what I would find as I am not a fan of All inclusive holidays. Queues at the bars for drinks, no waiter service around the pools, wrist bands is not my idea of an improvement. It has also had a negative affect on the local area with local coffee bars and shops empty and closing early. Putting this aside the hotel for me was as good as ever, with good quality and varied food in the restaurants, welcoming friendly staff many familiar faces and the rooms as clean and comfortable as usual. I thought the new system for loungers / mattresses and towels was an improvement although the desire by the animation staff to have music blaring out by the pool is a nuisance to say the least.
The SPA is a great experience and well worth a visit.
Overall we had a great holiday again and the negative changes were not enough to put me off. I would however urge Thomson to reconsider AIl INC. and trips like the "Pub Crawl" in the resort. We go to Tunisia for the climate the culture and to experience North Africa. AI and Pub Crawls will kill thIs experience. Local Culture is Coffee/Shisha culture, Not beer and alcohol.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Kenz Hotel? Share your experiences!