“Mostly very good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 36 hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Mostly very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

We spent 2 weeks here in August. Don't be alarmed by a few negative reviews, it was great. Accommodation was clean and asbsolutely fine, food was all freshly cooked - often in front of you, with a nice variety. We heard some people moaning about the food - I think they had the problem! We enjoyed the food throughout over 2 weeks. Didn't use the speciality restaurants as we heard reports that the food was no better than the main restaurant. I think if we had eaten inside, we might have felt we were in a very large cafeteria (noisy), but we ate outside. This was great, apart from everywhere was smoking and this was a real nuisance. We have a fantastic waiter (Nouri). We tipped him 1 dinar after each lunch and dinner (36p) and we service was superb. Don't believe the reports that if you don't tip, you won't get served - of course you do! We didn't tip at breakfast and when our waiter was away and we didn't get served quite as well, we didn't tip.

There were never enough sun beds around the pool and grounds - there was space, so I can't understand why they couldn't provide these in sufficient numbers - seems too simple to me! We went to the beach most days - a 5 minute walk down a private pathway. Beach great. Always got a sunbed - hurray! A regular 2 dinar tip will get you a front row if that's what you want. Security staff do not let traders enter the sun bed area, so you get no hassles.

The entertainment is pretty rubbish though. That didn't bother us too much, but some might be disappointed. Hope you like music of a certain era!!

Our biggest criticism is lack on no-smoing areas outside. Everywhere outside is smoking and there is a massive amount of it - were we the only ones who didn't smoke? We objected to becoming passive smokers just because we wanted to sit outside on the terrace.

We did the Carthage trip - this was a long day, but excellent. I'm not really interested in history that much, but it grabbed me! Do the camel ride - at £15 for 2-3 hours, excellent value for money. Everyone said the trip to the zoo was a total waste of money. Despite being told you can tip and get close up to the animals, you can't and if you try, you will get thrown out.

Don't waste your money on a taxi into El Kantaoui unless you want to - walk in on the beach - safe when dark as loads of people still around and walk back on the road - it doesn't take long.

Pay 6dr max for taxi to El Kantaoui each way and 10dr to Sousse. Agree the price before the journey and don't be afraid to walk away - mostly they will call you back if they think you are really going!

Buying goods around and about - aim for 20-25% of the price they ask for initially. Always get the vendor to state his price and don't tell him what you think it's worth if they ask you.

Spend every dinar before you leave on the coach to return. Take it into the airport and you wave it goodbye - you can't take it out of the country - and they check!

Overall, although we have done several contries in Africa and never done Tunisia, we really liked it. We wouldn't hesitate to go back again - the only significant drawback for us was the smoking. Enjoy!

410 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Laxey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We had 10 days here in August great hotel clean spacious but what makes the hotel is the staff cleaners waiters bar staff pool staff and entertainment crew were brilliant reception staff were a bit serious though . Food in main restaurant was varied and loads of it could be a bit bland needs spicing up a bit but that's just me . But the separate Indian restaurant was not good worse curry I've ever had . The spa is a must had the best massage from little Saffi but all staff there are very good and a fraction of price of at home . Only down side was when I booked it I thought it was adults only and speaking to other guests I wasn't the only one . Holiday reps very helpful did the quads and boat trip both great fun . Would I go back ? Yep I think we will

Room Tip: If you tip waiters and other staff they will look after you it doesn't have to be a lot and bel...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

Stayed here the week of August 17th, overall it's a lovely hotel; clean and the staff are great.

You wouldn't be reading these reviews if you didn't want to know the inside gossip on things, so here goes.

Airport - be prepared to have to wait to get through passport control and complete visa, so take a pen. Transfer only about 30mins so not too bad.

Arriving at hotel - greatest and offered a drink, quickly sorted with keys and bands, our room was on the 1st floor (166) but quite a walk. We ordered a double room, but we were given a twin, so the next day I spoke to the rep and we were given a new room. Not as nice as the first one but it had a double bed (1020), only to find at 12.00 midnight when we returned to bed the air con was really noisy when switched off, so we had to sleep in another room tjat night then move the next morning again! The rep was helpful and arranged a complementary late room check out and bottle of wine for our room to compensate things. Money exchange was 2.82 dinar to £1.

Food - I am fussy but always found something to eat. If you sit outside on an evening tip the waiters who work so hard, you get excellent top ups with drinks and your table cleared often. Do go to the Italian, the steak was lush, wish I could say the same about the Indian. Don't expect what you get here, it was awful and bland; I had better from the snack bar on a lunch time.

Entertainment and pool- health and safety concerns as the speakers are pulled very close to the pool/water!!! Even when I commented nothing was done, don't get sunbeds (if yiu can get one) round the main pool as you will get hit with the water polo ball, the entertainment team don't seem to care. They are only bothered about looking and chatting to young girls the Evening entertainment wax not too bad most nights.

Drinks - plenty alcohol put in and you can get lots of drinks at one time.

Beach - lovely and thers always a sunbed, if you fancy some water sport go left up the beach as they are cheeper. We did the para gliding 50dinar plus 40 for a cd with pictures of us on. What am experience

Overall a nice holiday, so you will enjoy it. Don't forget to gaggle for your bags, tops etc... The walk to the ports about 35-40 mins and taxi back cost us 5. Dinar but always confirm the cost before getting in. Enjoy x

• Stayed August 2014
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We have just returned from 2 weeks holiday at the Royal Kenz.

Good
The hotel is beautiful. It is kept very clean both inside and out. The gardens are immaculate and tended constantly. This makes it a very pleasant place to spend the day. The quiet area by the Cascade bar( which was never open) Is ideal if you want to be apart from the pools.
The restaurant is good with a wide choice. You will always find something you would like. The theme nights were a puzzle, Indian, Chinese and Italian. I did not notice a difference to be honest. The waiters in the restaurant are excellent. Tip them a couple of Dinars each day for even better service.
The rooms are of a high standard and again very clean. Tip the cleaners, they work hard.

Bad
Entertainment. Apart from one night where there was a belly dancer and an amazing Whirling Dervish it is truly awful. The entertainment team just looked like they were bored or fed up. The singer is terrible. It's almost worth seeing him to appreciate how bad he is.

Sun beds. If you want a sun bed after a lie in forget it. You have to be by the pool to reserve your bed by 6.30am. Yes folks I said 6.30 am! We did complain but nothing was done. Forget the crowded "private beach". The security staff lay out towels for locals or guests from other hotels for a few Dinars.

Bars. There are incredibly only 3 small bars manned by 2 bar staff each to cater for around 1000 guests. You will have to que for weak drinks to be slammed down on the counter. The bar staff could learn from the waiters in the restaurant. At times the que was 15 deep. I have photos. Strangely there is an "American" bar where you will get served but have to pay for the drinks at this all inclusive hotel. We did go there. The barman spent his night flicking the channels on the TV, most annoying when you were watching something.

The guys on reception have a terrible attitude. Clearly it is an inconvience to change notes so you can tip their staff. Grumpy rude men.

I hope the Management and Thomsons read this as the faults are easily fixed. If done it would make this hotel a great place to stay. Unfortunately we will not be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the Star Light room. Wifi reaches the rooms directly above it. This theatre wa...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

Just returned from a weeks stay, had a great relaxing time weather was amazing, superb bedrooms with mini fridge stocked with water everyday, room was of a good size and a large bathroom room was cleaned to perfection everyday, our room (114) overlooked the pool and had a view of the sea it was above the restaurant and close to entertainment but this was all quite by 11 and once you closed the patio doors you cannot hear a thing.
The restaurant was also amazing with a variety of foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner they have theme nights most nights and all the staff were lovely and always tried to please a special mention has to go to Chadly head of restaurant he was superb always a smile and makes sure the service you receive is 100% and this can be difficult during busy times but the smile never stops.
The entertainment team were also fantastic never stopping allday a wide variety of things to do and if like us you only want to relax they will not pester you to join in they will just stop by and have a chat and make sure you are alright a special mention to willie and his Zumba a great wee dancer.
If I had to give a downside it would have to be the queuing at the bar both at the pool or in the evening but overall great holiday and very sad to be home.

• Stayed August 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Been 5 times and on all the times I've been there the staff are on the ball give 100% and look after you
The food is fresh and never had any problems been there as a winter and summer breaks and the entertainment is not bad . The spa and pools are great so are the massages will keep going back as I've stayed at another hotel but was not the same as the kenz is the best

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stayed for a week in June at the Kenz and it was a very pleasant stay. The hotel is very clean and the room was lovely, my only criticism about the room being that there was no coffee in the room (only tea) but I'd read the previous reviews and took my own coffee sachets. There was plenty of seating in the public areas which was nice and the queues for drinks weren't too bad compared to other all inclusive hotels.
Food was very nice with a great deal of choice. During my stay, I felt that the dining room was understaffed and the poor waiters were over worked for the number of guests which meant piles of uncollected plates at the waiter stations or waits for drinks. Neither is what i'd call a great dining experience. I don't blame the waiters - they worked so hard but the hotel should employ more staff in the dining room, It would make it feel less canteeny. I suppose its a common issue in all inclusive hotels with many guests eating at the same time.
Lunch was best at the italian restaurant - freshly cooked food was brought to your table, and its no extra cost. I'd trade the lack of choice for the quieter more relaxed eating and the avoidance of the crowds in the canteen.
The beach is a 5 minute walk away which is fine. It was a bit busy the week I was there but I could always find a sun bed albeit quite far back as I was always late arriving. I think the issue is that the hotel only has a relatively narrow section of the beach compared to nearby beachfront hotels so you tend to be sat behind each other and further from the water edge unless you are one of those people who get up at 6am to reserve spaces (not my idea of being on holiday !)
All in all, it was a good value holiday for the price paid and the sheesha cafe was well worth visiting for a relaxing evening and a great sheesha.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Royal Kenz Hotel? Share your experiences!