“Was good, but not for younger children (And wake at 5am to reserve a sunbed)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Kenz Hotel

Save Saved
You added Royal Kenz Hotel to your Saves list
Royal Kenz Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jinene, Port El Kantaoui 4089, Tunisia   |
Ranked #4 of 36 hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Was good, but not for younger children (And wake at 5am to reserve a sunbed)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

I stayed here for one week with my 7 year old son, the price was good and it seemed to have excellent reviews. Having never been to Tunisia, I was open minded about what to expect. The hotel boasted that it had recently been updated, however it had more of a late 80's feel about it. I opted for a room upgrade with garden views and air conditioning, be warned about the garden view because at 9pm there is entertainment on the terrace and this kept waking my son, also we were directly above the restaurant and the constant scraping of chairs as people sat and stood up from their seat was driving me mad at night and at breakfast!
The air conditioning unit had seen better days as it was more of a warm air blower, but it did seem to keep the room below the ambient temperature.
During the day there is little to do for younger kids, my son was too small for the quad bikes, the paragliding and the sea rides including the jet ski. The entertainment team seemed to do more mingling with people rather than entertain, and they played a combination of techno house to 80's love songs throughout the day at the poolside with quiet times between 12 - 3pm.
There are two outdoor pools, one shallow for kids which is partitioned off as it gets deeper, and one larger constant depth pool which has 5 - 6 jet fountains that were turned on every day, firing water up 3 metres and into the pool. The ideal pool for my son was used mainly by adults playing volley ball, so we tended to use the deeper one where I had to buy him a rubber ring (cost £5 from the hotel shop).
The gripe of the outdoor facility was the clear sign that says "not to reserve sunbeds", however people were getting up at 5am to reserve a decent sheltered sun bed, whilst we were there we managed to get a bed on our last day. It was clear that people were bribing the staff to reserve beds also. I was amazed to see towels on beds at 8.30am and weren't actually used until 2pm. The staff did little to help. At around 4pm every day, there was a smell of eggs that came from the drains around the poolside, it was extremely unpleasant.
However the pools were clean, the grounds were well maintained and the variety of drinks were sufficient.
Food was wonderful, everyone queued for chips, and the waiters were very friendly.
One final note, if you go to the beach, warn your children that the local beach sellers will stuff toys and souvenirs into their hands, in the hope that you will then be forced to buy from them. Its a cheap shot at them trying to make a living, and quite unfair when they target the little ones.

I probably wouldn't go back to Tunisia.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

385 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Hated the place, ants running over the tables in the dining room which was more like a canteen, we were given a time to eat, sorry I'm on holiday n will be at breakfast before it closes not when u say I will be there! Husband was bad from drinking the milky coffee, then we seen the waiters scraping the crap out the machine! Wifi down for 4 days, no entertainment, would I go back!,, not if u paid me 4* I've stayed in better 2*

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We had never been to Tunisa before and where a bit nervous before arriving after reading things online. Once we arrived there we found it to be an amazing country, everyone is friendly and welcoming. I would recommend this country and this hotel to anyone.
The food at the Royal Kenz is amazing, and its constant, if you wanted you could eat all day pretty much none stop. Every evening meal has a different theme, including decoration and music. The best night was the Tunisian themed night, the food was fantastic and there was so much to try.
I'd avoid the a la carte restaurants though. There is less selection of food, and its a bit meh. Only upside is its quiet and slightly romantic. However if your after romantic but still want the main buffet, if you head right to the back of the main dinning room its quieter.
Tipping! Really doesn't cost much and just means that your service if even better (not that its lacking to begin with!!)
There are 2 outdoor pools that are pleasant, but if you prefer it a little quiter, then the beach is where to be and there are always loungers! The indoor pool is brilliant for after all the sun, its salt water so you can float in it and its so refreshing.
We tried a few of the water sports which where affordable and fun, there is also a guy there who takes decent pictures of you while your out in the sea, and for 20td for the disc its pretty worth it.
Take advantage of the spa. Its a brilliant way to start the holiday. For approx £40 each we got an hour in the steam room, mud exfoliation, and a full body massage - head to toes - that lasted about 45mins, brilliant value for money and so relaxing.
We also did the tale of 3 cities while we where out there, it was fantastic. The tour guide gave you so much information not just about the history of Tunisia (which is pretty fascinating) but also about life there. Definitely check it out. The one thing I would say is that you're always told to be wary of people trying to get you to buy stuff, generally there selling postcards for 1td, which is like 40p. So in some cases like with really disabled people trying to sell you stuff I'd just buy it. Its how they make a living and its hardly bank breaking.

All in all we had an amazing time, and we would defiantly go back to the Tunisia and the Royal Kenz. In fact we had such an amazing and relaxing time we actually conceived out first baby while there. Its a special place!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Anyone giving this hotel a bad review is just being picky! My girlfriend and I went in early August and thoroughly enjoyed our holiday. It exceeded our expectations, the staff were very helpful and friendly, during the day the entertainment staff would come round to your sun bed and have a chat.
The food was great and there was a wide variety to cater for all. The waiters were also very friendly and assisted where they could. We booked a standard room and so we did not expect to have the greatest positioning or view. The rooms were very spacious and clean, the maid provided fresh towels and sheets every day. There was a variety of entertainment during the day and a night including a kids disco.

Room Tip: All rooms have a nice interior, if we went back we would probably have got a pool view
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I went this hotel end of July for 2 weeks it was lovely :) we were welcomed with drinks and were shown where to eat check in was really quick.We had to pay for safe 20 quid for 2 weeks I thought it would of been included but it wasn't. You could change your money up everyday it's open at certain times.I went to the beach every day with my bf as you had to get up at about 5.00am if you wanted a really good Sun bed by the pool . But they do need to put more out during busy seasons.The beach is a 5 minute walk but it's very quite and peaceful as everyone goes to pool we usually go down about half 8 and there is lots of bed the lifeguards and security are really lovely there so are the bar tenders they also bring your drinks to the sun bed when it's really quite you don't need to tip them but you can if you want to. At the beach there is sandwich bar where you can get panni I did this sometimes but they should offer more food choices there like so chips or burgers or pizzas because I couldn't have panni every lunch time.Me and my bf walked back to main resturant every lunchtime and food was lovely always did something different every day , and I am very fussy eater and I ain't a lot of their food :) we had a lovely waiter called Mohammed really friendly and chatty :) In evening it was very difficult to get table outside by the entertainment I had to stand up a lot of time and wait to people to leave they should have more chairs and tables July and August are most busiest seasons that was the only disappointment apart from that I had a lovely holiday :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Week away , first week in August 2014, 1 x adult , 2 x kids (15 & 11)Hotel was great, clean, all staff friendly, so helpful. Food was good, great variety. Rooms were spacious, well kept and cleaned daily. Lots to do at the hotel, pools were good, beach same, grounds all well kept. Entertainment staff were just brilliant, Tito, Rico, Mamaduke, Willy, Lorenzo, Omar, couldn't fault them, kids (and I 0 had so much fun, really made the holiday. Would I recommend it =YES, will we go again =Definitely ! .Free WiFI in the lobby , which was handy too !

Room Tip: We had a room with pool view, excellent , and paid extra for late check out, (until 6pm) which was i...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bodmin, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Greated with a very warm welcome,staff were very friendly and helpful.We couldnt fault the food there was a wide range to choose from every night and loved the option of different themed resurants inside the hotel.Entertainment was different everynight alot of effort was put into keeping the great atmosphere going.Especially Ohmar from the entertaiment team he was very friendly and a lovely person with a great personality.The room that we stayed in was spotlesley clean and the cleaners kept it that way.Loved how the beach was just a 5 minuite walk away so there was always something to do during the day.We loved playing waterpolo within the hotel and the zumba and water areobics were great too!Would definatley come back again it was a fantastic family holiday,loved every second of it:)

Room Tip: Ground floor has stair acesses only so if stair acess is not an option request for a room on a highe...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Royal Kenz Hotel? Share your experiences!