“A break away” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 37 hotels in Port El Kantaoui
twickenham
“A break away”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Second time in Tunis this year. I arrived very early morning Monday 18th to a nice welcome by the receptionist and shown to my room which was well furnished and clean.

Unfortunately I was quite ill for the rest of the week so confined to my room 95% of the time.
When changing money he next day no receipt received from the surley male receptionist...an oversight perhaps? I asked was there an English channel he replied no. Fortunately Kamesh a general worker came to the rescue and tuned the television to get Fox movies which saved my sanity.

Food wise, can't really comment as no appetite but on about four occasions I asked for room service
ie milk and fruit as was unable to make it to the restaurant , there wasn't a problem until one evening I spoke to Mehmir I believe who was abrupt , told me room service wasn't provided , ring another number and who was very off putting. I think a customer service course might be in order.

One late afternoon, to have a break from my room sat in in the bar area where the piano is pushed up against the wall,I tried to read but I would say half the lighting doesn't work.Weirdly disco music started around 6.30 with laser lights flashing.... this is for a clientle of 90% over seventy , yes Germans but I knew that anyway from previous reports so didn't phase me. No idea what happens afterwards.

Yes lift broke numerous times, use the workers lift in the kitchen

Cannot comment on activities as not able to partake. The Tunisian people I have found very kind and helpful, pity I came upon the exception

One late afternoon

Room Tip: The above is a not a true reflection as sleep was bad but that was due to circumstances, location we...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

297 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

WE- arrived at the Hourria palace mid afternoon- we were met by a very rude recepsionist- this was our 17th visit to Tunisia and never before have we been greeted like this,
The bell boy was lovely and showed us to our room- It was very shabby but we thought well it is clean so we will make the best of it, after getting washed and changed we went down for our evening meal - food cold plates cold and they only cater for Germans we had soup it was cold- so we said forget it,
So we went into the entertainment room to find only German music playing- and it was bitter cold but they would not close the door no matter how many times we asked, we were like fish out of water
after a night sleep we thought things might be better- so we went down for breakfast -I had a cup of tea and my husband did manage a cold hard boiled egg- we went to the reception and ask if they would ring our rep.as we needed to move-after lots of phone calls we did manage to get into the Marhabra palace plus another £350-it was worth it- wont make this mistake again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Our 7th time at Houria Palace, upon arrival a warm welcome from friendly staff.
Again good value from money, unable to comment on food and entertainment as we did not use these facilities this time.
Only issue was our room was not being cleaned well, after complaining this was sorted out.
Pools as always were clean and well maintained each day, plenty of sun lounger avaliable.
Overall a pleasant stay and will be returning again.

• Stayed September 2012
West Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have just got back from 2 weeks at Houria Palace, third time and although we had a poor room on arrival we were given an upgrade to a suite for no extra cost the next morning. Food is fine always a choice of 3 meat dishes pasta lots of salads 2 soups and plenty of desserts. We were all inclusive and had no complaints, just a few things which would have been an improvement, only being able to use one bar for drinks seemed a bit silly as one bar (all incl) was packed and the main large bar was mostly empty. Breakfast could have scrambled eggs occasionally and ice cream as a dessert option but this is purely my taste. The staff were as usual very friendly and did everything to make you feel valued. Yes the music was loud some evenings from another bar but that was over the other side of the road and not within their control, we sat in this bar one night and the singer was fantastic.All in all we found the whole resort seemed to be doing alot better than in past years and we have been visiting since 2001. For wonderful people a good clean hotel and sunshine you will find it harder to beat

Room Tip: We prefer to over look the aqua park, noisy during the day but you get a lovely sunset in the evenin...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

Been to this hotel several times between 2009-2012 and due back again in 3 weeks. You get exactly what you pay for staff are fantastic and a little goes a long way with regards to tipping. Pools are clean and tidy, ok rooms are a little dated however what do you expect when you only pay £25 per room per night b&b serves my needs well and in a great location. Beach, port and fountain all 5 minutes away, sousse 5 minutes in a taxi. If you expect alot then look for another hotel and pay alot more!

• Stayed April 2012
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The aqua park next door played really loud music during the day time. There was a party on the Saturyday night at a neighbouring venue with the loudest music you have ever heard until 1.30 am. On the Friday night I was there I was so tired I fell asleep listening to it at midnight, so I have no idea what time it went on to. It wasn't the hotel's fault I suppose, but I wouldn't go there again for that reason. [Bear in mind I am an old fuddy-duddy of 46!].

It was lovely to have a choice of pools, and they were very clean. My room was clean. The stairway was a bit dirty at one point but they cleaned it during the week.

The staff were really friendly, but I do have fluent French. The food was quite good.

Room Tip: Speak French!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Bolton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

When I first returned from Tunisia, I intended to get my review on here immediately as it was the worst holiday I've ever had, but I soon got over it and tried to remember the goods points, it's taken me 5mths to remember there weren't any.

However I'd like to be fair and honest in my review, Tunisia was a last minute cheapo holiday booked by my other half as a surprise, I normally do my homework before I commit. . . he didnt.

When we arrived at the hotel, it didnt look too bad, especially for what we paid, when we were shown our room it was grotty and hadn't been cleaned however we were moved immediately to a very clean room all be it rather dated and in need of a refurb.

During our two week stay we didnt have any futher problems as such at the hotel, we were only on a B&B basis and the breakfast did get rather repetative, not much choice that us English go for but hey I'm not in England so what can you expect. I found all the waiters to be very polite and attentive so no complaints there.The one thing that did get to us a tad was the constant dance music that thumped from the neighbouring waterpark, same music day in day out, the reason I know this is after the 1st few days we had explored every attraction Tunisia has to offer, so the pool it was. There really isn't a great deal going on, if you are like me and prefer to spend most of your holiday out and about exploring what the country has to offer then Tunisia is not for you. We did hire a car and on those occasions that we visited various towns etc I was usually met with obscenities from the Tunisian males (even though I was always suitably dressed for the area).

If you want nightlife you will find nothing here, the one or two that we did find were full of letching Albanian/Tunisian males, again in the evenings I had various nasty comments made about me even though I always had my leg/chest area covered, this being due to the fact that I felt so uncomfortable, however by the end of the holiday I decided not to show their country respect and cover up, why should I, the natives hadn't shown me any! I reverted to flipping the bird, very rude I know but by this time I'd really lost my temper with the place. If you do want to find a bar where you can have a nice relaxing beer in the evening, then there's only one place really in Port El Kantaoui, which is the Irish Bar (yeah i know, but desperate times...)

I also like to go out for meals in the evening, however in Tunisia they only seem to know about a dozen dishes, every restaurant sold the same food, it was terrible boring and repetative, I did really enjoy El Mediterranee though, lovely food and a very pretty setting if you sit on the terrace.

If you like to lie in the sun and not leave your hotel for the duration of your hols, then maybe Tunisia is for you, however the entertainment at Houria was beyond pathetic so maybe try another hotel.

For me I won't be returning, it was a waste of money and a waste of two weeks holidays, however if any of you have booked and read this I hope it works out better for you :-)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Houria Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!