“Another enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Port El Kantaoui 4089, Tunisia   |
Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
“Another enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Our 7th time at Houria Palace, upon arrival a warm welcome from friendly staff.
Again good value from money, unable to comment on food and entertainment as we did not use these facilities this time.
Only issue was our room was not being cleaned well, after complaining this was sorted out.
Pools as always were clean and well maintained each day, plenty of sun lounger avaliable.
Overall a pleasant stay and will be returning again.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
West Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have just got back from 2 weeks at Houria Palace, third time and although we had a poor room on arrival we were given an upgrade to a suite for no extra cost the next morning. Food is fine always a choice of 3 meat dishes pasta lots of salads 2 soups and plenty of desserts. We were all inclusive and had no complaints, just a few things which would have been an improvement, only being able to use one bar for drinks seemed a bit silly as one bar (all incl) was packed and the main large bar was mostly empty. Breakfast could have scrambled eggs occasionally and ice cream as a dessert option but this is purely my taste. The staff were as usual very friendly and did everything to make you feel valued. Yes the music was loud some evenings from another bar but that was over the other side of the road and not within their control, we sat in this bar one night and the singer was fantastic.All in all we found the whole resort seemed to be doing alot better than in past years and we have been visiting since 2001. For wonderful people a good clean hotel and sunshine you will find it harder to beat

Room Tip: We prefer to over look the aqua park, noisy during the day but you get a lovely sunset in the evenin...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Been to this hotel several times between 2009-2012 and due back again in 3 weeks. You get exactly what you pay for staff are fantastic and a little goes a long way with regards to tipping. Pools are clean and tidy, ok rooms are a little dated however what do you expect when you only pay £25 per room per night b&b serves my needs well and in a great location. Beach, port and fountain all 5 minutes away, sousse 5 minutes in a taxi. If you expect alot then look for another hotel and pay alot more!

• Stayed April 2012
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The aqua park next door played really loud music during the day time. There was a party on the Saturyday night at a neighbouring venue with the loudest music you have ever heard until 1.30 am. On the Friday night I was there I was so tired I fell asleep listening to it at midnight, so I have no idea what time it went on to. It wasn't the hotel's fault I suppose, but I wouldn't go there again for that reason. [Bear in mind I am an old fuddy-duddy of 46!].

It was lovely to have a choice of pools, and they were very clean. My room was clean. The stairway was a bit dirty at one point but they cleaned it during the week.

The staff were really friendly, but I do have fluent French. The food was quite good.

Room Tip: Speak French!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Bolton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

When I first returned from Tunisia, I intended to get my review on here immediately as it was the worst holiday I've ever had, but I soon got over it and tried to remember the goods points, it's taken me 5mths to remember there weren't any.

However I'd like to be fair and honest in my review, Tunisia was a last minute cheapo holiday booked by my other half as a surprise, I normally do my homework before I commit. . . he didnt.

When we arrived at the hotel, it didnt look too bad, especially for what we paid, when we were shown our room it was grotty and hadn't been cleaned however we were moved immediately to a very clean room all be it rather dated and in need of a refurb.

During our two week stay we didnt have any futher problems as such at the hotel, we were only on a B&B basis and the breakfast did get rather repetative, not much choice that us English go for but hey I'm not in England so what can you expect. I found all the waiters to be very polite and attentive so no complaints there.The one thing that did get to us a tad was the constant dance music that thumped from the neighbouring waterpark, same music day in day out, the reason I know this is after the 1st few days we had explored every attraction Tunisia has to offer, so the pool it was. There really isn't a great deal going on, if you are like me and prefer to spend most of your holiday out and about exploring what the country has to offer then Tunisia is not for you. We did hire a car and on those occasions that we visited various towns etc I was usually met with obscenities from the Tunisian males (even though I was always suitably dressed for the area).

If you want nightlife you will find nothing here, the one or two that we did find were full of letching Albanian/Tunisian males, again in the evenings I had various nasty comments made about me even though I always had my leg/chest area covered, this being due to the fact that I felt so uncomfortable, however by the end of the holiday I decided not to show their country respect and cover up, why should I, the natives hadn't shown me any! I reverted to flipping the bird, very rude I know but by this time I'd really lost my temper with the place. If you do want to find a bar where you can have a nice relaxing beer in the evening, then there's only one place really in Port El Kantaoui, which is the Irish Bar (yeah i know, but desperate times...)

I also like to go out for meals in the evening, however in Tunisia they only seem to know about a dozen dishes, every restaurant sold the same food, it was terrible boring and repetative, I did really enjoy El Mediterranee though, lovely food and a very pretty setting if you sit on the terrace.

If you like to lie in the sun and not leave your hotel for the duration of your hols, then maybe Tunisia is for you, however the entertainment at Houria was beyond pathetic so maybe try another hotel.

For me I won't be returning, it was a waste of money and a waste of two weeks holidays, however if any of you have booked and read this I hope it works out better for you :-)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

PLEASE DONT BOOK ....we ignored comments at our peril place is dirty stains on carpets tatty bedroom furniture luke warm uninteresting food extremmly dirty pool and surrounds..hotel staff were rude music played was obsene waiters were always trying to rob you money exchange guys did the same massage was a total rip off a couple of kids.... reason for delay in writing this has been trying to get refund from youtravel or sunshine hotels none of them will accept responsibility dont touch either with a barge poll our seventh time in Tunisia wont ever return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

DONT DO IT!!!!!
Tourists are commonly germans and french... in the winter or 'quieter' season, there tends to be a lot of older couples here.
big language barrier.. found it hard communicating and was often acting out what we needed (not me... i didnt want to look like a prat!) which was almost always interpreted as offensive... :|
couldnt figure out why!
our room was nothing like the photos .. it was dingy and smelly.. out bath was unclean and full of creepy crawlies. Personal belongings had to be packed away because maids would enter regardless of the 'do not disturb' sign, and some things went missing, no cause of action was taken whay so ever!
Nightlife is rubbish compared to here in the UK
Prices in the hotel were outrageous. We found cheaper deals ourselves the hotel were way overpriced. The best shopping places were in sousse, no real good places nearby.
the beach is a 10 minute walk away from the hotel, and is a rather small plot further down the beach, you are not allowed to sunbathe on another hotels plot, but how the hell were we supposed to know!
the food served in the hotel was bland, if your asian youll understand... less chillies.. less masala.. but similar to home cooking, which was nice. Food outside the hotel was ok depending on what restaurant you went. The burgers and pizzas were not a patch on ours here in England.
Right outside the hotel is a bar, which if you room is overlooking is a nightmare! especially when the music kicks in from 1am till about 7am.... where if you wake up early you can catch drunkards rolling out the club and staggering into taxis.
not much sightseeing as you would think... couldnt find the masjid in medinah and went THREE times! .. where you are immediately harrased and stalked until u buy something from their stall.
the amusement park and aqua center was closed due to it being winter.

would definitely not go here again for a city break or any other kind of break for that matter.

contact us on; alisharafiq@live.co.uk for more information and pictures! ..

• Stayed November 2010

Been to Houria Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!