“chill out hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Manchester, United Kingdom
“chill out hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

nice standard 4* hotel with excellent breakfast and evening meal with too many varieties of dishes to mention excellant quality preparation with taste ,only downside i would state is the rooms could really do with upgrading not that they are bad just old style too my preference.

Room Tip: if you book and are not happy ask for a better room ! that is if they have any different ones to the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is the third time we have stayed in this hotel, which says a lot about it's location, quirkiness and the friendly, helpful staff.

Last year it's decaying grandeur was being elbowed out by new management that had taken control and every afternoon we were serenaded by chain saws trying to keep the vegetation in check. This year the gardens looked a lot better but the indoor pool was out of bounds as the decor was being refreshed, but then the outdoor pool was available and the sea (from a Brits view) was warm enough for swimming.

There has been a lot of work done on the communal areas and one of the wings has had a lot of renovation. Despite this we decided to upgrade to the 'Palace', the old building on the sea front. Again, a renovation is scheduled for this grand building in the near future, fingers crossed they leave the enormous crystal chandelier alone as it is stunning in artificial and sun light.

So the Palace. Up sweeping marble steps to a grand ballroom, all guests can access this but very few do, a great pity. The marble balcony facing the sea has a wonderful breeze, you can sit there with a glass of something cool fantasising that you are the sole occupant of this wonderful place.

Food. We stayed on a half board basis that really was value for money. Breakfast is the normal hot and cold buffet but some of the Tunisian dishes were excellent. A bread a butter pudding type dish (without the currants), eggy toast and battered sweet things. ( I was on holiday, it's my right to pig out.) Also a chef on the hot plate so you can have fried eggs to your liking and fresh omelettes every morning.

We didn't find the food cold at dinner (apart from the salad which is acceptable) and even though my partner is vegetarian we always had sufficient choice. One thing I ate in the hotel a lot was chicken. Tasteless in the UK but it actually tastes of chicken in Tunisia. Again a hot plate in the evening with a chef making pancakes - you choose what ice cream, sauce you want. Us, we are traditionalists and our faves were cinnamon sugar and fresh lemon or lime juice.

The staff are friendly and helpful, an off hand query about sourcing Tunisian honey, it arrived the next day. I was appalled by the attitude of some of the hotel's guests. Why do the middle classes have to act as if hotel staff are their personal slaves and act so rudely?

Finally, this is the sort of hotel to visit if you want a quiet time. It does not offer entertainment it's a place to read, play cards, look out over the blue sea, relax and recharge your batteries.

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for the Palace
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I really loved the building which is in part a previously privately owned house - well palace I suppose. All the public areas are really lovely - the hotel surrounds a courtyard which is an attractive garden. A swimming pool terrace is at the back of the hotel leading to a beach area. There are great views along the coast. The bar is above the restaurant and has some really lavish lounges, there is also a beautiful terrace to sit out on. The barman was really friendly and pleasant. We liked our ground floor room which was furnished in a north african or Ottoman style. It was clean and comfortable. I also liked the bathroom with its enormous circular bath with shower over. I must say that it was a bit of a challenge to get in and out of and anyone with minor mobility problems may find it impossible. The only thing we thought was a real let down was the dining room and food. The buffet offered the smallest choice we saw in any of the 5 hotels we stayed in while touring Tunisia and we felt it was disappointing. Having said that though we were only there for one dinner and breakfast and I'm sure that Port El Kantaoui has plenty of restaurants - so being on a B&B basis would probably be OK. Friends who spent 4 nights there were quite content. It's worth repeating the point that if you arrive here in a coach you will have to take your own luggage up the short drive as coaches cannot fit under the arch. Also worth noting that the star rating system in Tunisia does not equate to Europe or UK system - you need to think in terms of at least 1 star lower than the Tunisian system to avoid having too high expectations. All in all I will give this hotel a qualified "recommended".

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Margate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I booked my week long stay just 3 days before I went so I did'nt get much time to research this hotel, all I knew was that the star ratings in Tunisia are not comparable to those of Europe or USA and a 5 star in Tunisia is probably a 3 anywhere else and so it seemed when I arrived at the El Hanna Palace or as it now known the Caruso Palace. The first thing to consider is that if you are infirm or unable to carry your luggage you have to walk to the hotel entrance from the busy road but the security guard will contact staff inside and they will come and help if required, for myself traveling alone this was not an issue, and it's only a 30mtr walk to the entrance. The front is'nt as smart as some of the hotels in the area, but for me that added to it's charm, I find those huge, plastic, sugar coated 20 storey'd hotels all look the same, as the song goes "This could be Rottadam, or anywhere, Liverpool or Rome"
Once inside, the foyer is airy and bright, well furnished and the marble floors and staircases are fab. so far so good, however i'm afraid to say the bedrooms are tired and dowdy, so if you are thinking of taking a female partner on a romantic holiday this may not be the place for you, although by next Autumn (2013) they should have upgraded the bedrooms and from the artists impressions i've seen they look beautiful, something to consider though is that once all the refurbishments are complete the prices will be much higher, I paid £330 for flights, Half-board, and transfers, a bargain, but next November it could be £500+. I have to say though, although tired, the bedrooms are very clean and the maids do a fantistic job and an extra towel, pillow, or toilet roll is always at hand if you ask for them, they come in every day to make the beds, clean up and replace towels if wet or dirty, and I often left money, camera or ipod outside the safe in my rush to get to breakfast and it was never touched.
I think at this stage I should mention that you have to remember that in Tunisia the average wage is 30 Dinah a week (£12) so if you want to get some personal touches and feel inclined to do it, tipping really helps, I tipped the bar staff and waiters every day, for example a bottle of beer is 3.5 dinah so I made it up to 4 dinah a tip of 20p and they will go out of there way to give real good service, but even if you don't tip you'll find it hard to get better service than here in any hotel in PEK. This hotel is well known for it's service and I can understand why.
The grounds and gardens are kept in good condition and the dining room is clean but again looking a bit tired, however the food in my opinion is very good considering the price I paid, It's buffet style and plentyfull, breakfast is normal, cereal, bread, toast, cheese, salad, yogurts etc, boiled or scrambled eggs, omlette, however remeber this is a muslim country so no bacon or pork sausages. Dinner is again buffet with loads of choices so all in all, for me the food was good, but I did hear some moans so it won't suit everyone, but if you can't find something to eat at every meal, then i'd be inclined to call that very fussy.
The room above the dining room is probably El hanna's best kept secret, it's a shame it has'nt got a bar because for luxury it's certainly in the top 5 of any hotel i've stayed in around the world, but i'll let you discover that for yourself, just to say that whilst I was there they had 2 wedding receptions for Tunisian upper class that says something.
They don't have any entertainment in this hotel, which is fine by me, but may not suit some people, and if I have a complaint the piped music in the hotel bar is dire, ellivator music at it's worst, with about 20 tunes that repeat endlessly, they had a 40inch tv with MTV on constanly but with the sound on mute, we asked for the hotel music to be turned down and the tv to be turned up but they refused which we found odd?
If you want entertainment there is some ok bars and clubs close by, there is an Irish bar in PEK but its only Irish in name you wont even get guinness in there but a good place to watch footy or F1 there is also a bar/restaurant called Mandra about a 5 dinah cab ride past PEK that has beautiful surroundings and live music and a DJ, however on a fridays & saturdays it's full of wealthy Tunisian men who are looking for any western women they can their hands on, and on that subject you need to be aware that single western women are vunerable to lots of attention out there, and some of it is'nt nice attention, but a firm NO is all it takes if don't want it, and if you do want it, and believe those good looking exotic men are very romantic, be prepared to be the one who'll be paying the bar bill at the end of the night!! Tunisian men believe all western women are loaded.
I would certainly be happy to return to the El Hanna/Curoso, its perfectly placed between PEK and Sousse and if the sun shines you'll find it hard to beat for a winter holiday.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Coventry
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Where to start with this hotel. Arrived on 4 November to beautiful sunny weather for a week at the El Hana/Caruso. The first problem was the coach couldn't go down the drive because of the arch so had to unload bags on the main road with traffic rushing by. Not a good start. Nobody from the hotel came out to help which is very unusual in Tunisia so carried our bags to reception where there was no staff to greet us at first. Finally they came and we were given our rooms. The first impression of reception is fine very ornate and clean. Went up to our rooms (422) and first impression as we got out of the lift was the awful dirty carpets. The carpets in the rooms were not much better and although the rooms are large the doors and windows were wooden and didn't lock. Yes there is that large bath but its a novelty because it is so high its like an assault course to get in or out unless you have long legs. It also takes about 30 mins to fill. We requested other rooms which was no problem as there were hardly any guests - we were told 30 !!! - so we changed. We were given rooms facing front/side of the hotel 365. The first thing we noticed were better carpets and the landing was a lot cleaner and lighter. The rooms were again very large and we had a convential bath which is what we wanted. Although the patio doors were pvc they didn't lock either but decided you cant have everything.

The other let down with this hotel is the food in the dining room. Most of it is cold. You might get the odd dish that is hot but the rest is cold. The actual food was ok but was let down by not being hot and if you went in for dinner say an hour after the dining room opened (7 - 9) it was running out of choice and they were not replenishing it. Maybe because there wasn't the volume of guests it didn't justify filling up after a certain time. So if you want choice and hot go early i.e. as it opens.

The pool and beach area are great and the staff around the pool always friendly and will have a banter with you. We were the only two on the beach and it was lovely fine sand and peaceful to have it to ourselves.

The next draw back is the postion of the rooms to that side of the hotel. They are facing a Tunisian residential property and they are building another which is not too bad as they start at 8 and finish around 4/5 so thats acceptable BUT the family who live in the house have a cockrel and its crows constantly through the night you can't even shut it out because the windows are wooden not pvc so dont stop any noise. So be aware if you are in those rooms you will be kept awake. When we thought we had seen it all one morning there was something hanging from the tree in the garden of the residential property- a sheep which they were in the process of slaughtering and skinning !!!! We know it happens but dont expect to see if from your balcony on holiday.

I have been going to Tunisia for 25 years and have been in many hotels in that time and many of them 4/5 times. When I read some reviews I wonder if they are going to the same hotel as me because some people alway need something to complain about but for once in all that time I have to say this is the wrost hotel and I would never recommend it to anyone. It has the 4* symbol over the door but it certainly isn't more like 2*. I think they are in the process of doing repairs etc but it will take a long time to get this hotel to anywhere near a 4* El Hana/Caruso you let Tunisia down when it needs all the tourists it can get. I will keep going to Tunisia but will not be going back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Overlooking pool but certainly not 365 area to the front/side of the hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

It´s amazing how the new owners have restored the hotel.
It´s truly a palace, the construction is maybe the coolest I have seen and it will be interesteing to see it next May when we return. Still some shaping up to do, but if you keep this in mind and not expect a 5 star hotel, this is the most priceworthy hotel in Tunisia.
No doubt.
Big recommendation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Wokingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Excellent staff and public areas. Food good but restaurant lacked atmosphere. Rooms good sized and well positioned but very tired and in need of maintenance. Shower ran hot and cold. Fittings broken which caused flooding in the bathroom. TV had only two english channels which just ran films. Safe cost 2 Dinar a day. Unstocked fridge (a good thing in my book). Beds on the hard side.
Good pool area, clean and well staffed. Small dirty beach next to hotel which you could clamber to, but not nice. 15 minute walk to Marina which was clean and modern if very 'tourist'. 5/7 dinar taxi ride to Sousse. Just a couple of restaurants and mini marts near by. I would suggest half/full board if you don't want to go to the Marina to eat.
El Han could, so easily, be a really nice hotel. We enjoyed our stay but it could have easily been so much better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to El Hana Palace Caruso Hotel? Share your experiences!