“Home from home...brilliant memories yet again. Thank you!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
england
“Home from home...brilliant memories yet again. Thank you!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I love this hotel!!! This is my 7th time back to this hotel and everyone there is like family now. I cannot express how nice it is to return somewhere and people actually remember you and greet you with such happy smiley faces and go out of their way to make sure that your holiday will be one of the bests you have been on.
Since my last visit to the hotel they have recently put in some water slides which are fantastic fun for children and adults! If you are concerned about swimming of the depth of the water when you come down the slides, you need not worry as it is quite shallow. You must try them, they are a laugh!
I must say that I was a little dissapointed with the gardens of the hotel as usually the grass is a lush green and there is always a gardener tending to the gardens but this time the grounds were patchy, some of the bushes were overgrown and it just looked a little tired. But I am not going to say it ruined my holiday as it didn't, just more of an observation.
The food is still of a good standard from previous times that I have been there and there is always something to eat, even for the most fussier of eaters. Even at busy times there was enough food to go around and the chefs made sure that the dishes were regularly replaced. There is also an Italian and Tunisian restaurant and although I didn't go on this visit on previous visits the food was fantastic and is well worth a visit. Just speak to the reception about how to book into the restaurants.
The rooms are still the same, a little tired and dated but then who goes on holiday to spend their holiday in the room?!! It was comfortable and the maids always did a great job with cleaning the rooms. The air conditioning worked great in the room I had, but I know a few people that problems with theirs but if you just speak to reception they will be more than happy to fix the problem.
So now to the animation team....well what can I say!!! They just make the holiday!!! They work so hard to make sure that everyone is having a good time and to entertain the people. Slim, Smiley, Samuel, Robbie (Ruby), Joe (Christian Grey of Tunisia), Emily and of course Titi, I want to thank you all for making my holiday such fun. Every night there is a show and they work so hard and each time I have seen the show they get better each time and work on how they could make it better. The only thing wrong with the animation team is the manager...Ramsey. For those who have been here before will understand what I am on about. But this man is what spoils the animation team, he is rude, does nothing apart from tell the boys off for having fun and his way of communicating with the guests (unless of course your blonde/brown with a tiny figure and not with a man) is nodding, he never speaks to anyone and almost appears to go out of his way to not speak to people! I did speak to him on this holiday and he told me that all English are the same and hate him...well Ramsey if you are reading this perhaps the reason why you think people hate you is because you make absolutely no effort whatsoever to speak to anyone and just walk around looking like you own the place!!!! When Ramsey first started he was quite nice and did sit and speak to people like the rest of the animation team but not now... however the good thing is if you are planning to go to this hotel he is leaving (and have been told this by Ramsey himself) and hopefully a previous manager will be returning called Sam who was absolutely fantastic, so hopefully the entertainment will be even better and with a few new shows as well.
There is a nightclub in the hotel too which is open until 1am and has quite good music being played by the DJ Bouma. There is a bar there which is also included in the all-inclusive. Now I got quite angry at a few guests whilst in the club, when you have been to the hotel quite a few times you get a red band (otherwise you get a blue band) and quite a few times after closing time people were coming in demanding drinks and when told no they were saying because they have a red band they should be allowed one. I am sorry but this is not on! Rules are rules and if the bar staff are caught serving after closing time they will get sacked...just because you have a red band does not mean your VIP. In future get to the bar before closing time and order a few drinks!
On Friday nights the animation team did a little mini van to the local night club for all those who want to go and it is well worth it. It only cost 1 dinar to go and entry to the club is free. It is quite a good night out and you have are in safe hands with the animation team and will make sure nothing happens to you.
All the people working at the hotel from the receptionists (especially Malek), the bar staff, the chefs, the waitors, the henna guys (Ali and Aymen), the pool guys, the animation team, the maids, the gardeners, the DJ....absolutely everyone in the hotel are fantastic and work so so hard and make the hotel what it is. Thank you everyone for making another fantastic holiday for me and see you all soon! :)

Room Tip: High floor and sea view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Went to the Riveria Hotel in the first two weeks of August with our young children. Absolutely brilliant holiday, children spent all day in the pool, enjoying the sunshine and the water slides. Great food, we were worried about our son as he is a picky eater, needn't have there was so much variety that even he found lots of things he liked. Staff were happy and friendly and were there to help if you needed. Big thank you to Yesin (pool side staff), as he made our holiday. Hoping to go back next year.

Room Tip: All standard rooms were large enough to sleep 2 adults and 2 children
Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

this was my second visit to the hotel. and have to say loved it as much as the first time. the boys are lovely slim, smiley, samwel, joe aka christin gray of tunisia, robbie, and who could forget Titi, they all work very hard and make you feel so welcome they are the reason i returned a second time and they will be the reason i go back for a third visit. just a shame about there manager.
the food was ok always found something to eat every night, my only problem this time round was that they run out of diet coke in the last week and i had to buy my own. but all in all a great holiday...

Room Tip: great family room 454
worcester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Riviera for 2 weeks with my husband & daughters 5 & 7 years. Overall we had a fantastic holiday.

Our room was kept very clean & the bath had an excellent shower over it with unlimited hot water & a very strong pressure. Temperature did fluctuate a bit. Lovely flat screen tv & plenty of wardrobe space.

Food was excellent, a good variety. I particularly loved the evening salad selection & the big tray of patisserie items. Even my fussy 5 year old could always find something to eat even it it was mainly bread, grated carrot, cucumber & potatoes.
At lunchtime we mainly stayed at the pool bar & kids had chicken or hotdog & chips.
We did try the beach bar but is was packed out & the staff were struggling to cope. There was always lots of fruit especially melon at all of the restaurants.
There were short waits most mornings for water or glasses but it was never very long. Most food was replenished before it ran out.
We had a table in the middle of the upper level & always went to the same area where we would be ushered towards a set-up table by one of the 2 waiting staff that covered this area. We tipped every 3 days or so & were very well looked after.
We particularly liked the white wine in the evenings & our glasses would be regularly topped up.
I went down to the pool every morning about 7.30 & would reserve a few sunbeds on the grass by the slides which is the pool our girls preferred as the large pool is very deep for kids. We never tipped to reserve beds.
Our girls went to the kids club every day where they made friends & really enjoyed it. There didn't seem a lot of games/equipment in there but the most popular thing was a pack of UNO cards!
Each evening they would go the kids disco where they loved Mr Momo. Samuel also made a fuss of the girls.
The Animation team members were fantastic & worked very hard day & night.
We all enjoyed the shows although some more than others (my girls still quote "if I was not an entertainer....). We also loved Slims Riverdancing.
Even in their busiest couple of weeks of the season the queues at the bars were not too bad considering.
Overall a fantastic holiday. We had worried a bit after reading some reviews but hey this is Africa, just slow down, engage with the staff, relax & enjoy.

• Stayed August 2012
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

After reading many of the reviews on here over the last few months before our holiday to the Riviera, my boyfriend and I went with an open mind so we could make our own minds up. On arriving we were met by a very friendly bell boy who took care of our cases and showed us to our room. Overall impression of hotel clean, friendly, home from home!!!

The room - 131 - balcony looking over the path down to the pool.
The room was clean, bright and spacious!!!! Even a bottle of water in the fridge for us. As the cleaners were cleaning the rooms on the floor and changing towels and bedding we didn't have any towels in our rooms but the cleaners were extremely helpful and said they were waiting for clean towels to arrive as they were being cleaned. This I felt was fair enough and didn't bother us as we were heading down to the pool anyway.
On our return to our room the towels were there for us.

The pool
Clean and plenty of space, awesome slides!!!! If you want a certain spot you will need to tip the pool guys but they will keep your spot for you each morning until you leave. Daily activities for you to take part in and I would encourage you to do so as it gets you off your sunbed and interacting with other guests and the staff which really makes your holiday miles more fun!

The food
All this talk about there not being enough variety of food and it being the same each day is rubbish!!!!! Yes there were some foods which were the same but there were many varied options of salads, soup, bread and vegetables. Each night there were different main courses and we always found something to eat, in fact think we have both come back a stone heavier than when we went!!!! if something you want runs out then wait.... It will be refreshed very quickly!

Things to do outside the hotel
Do venture out to the local beach and harbour, lovely place! Perhaps would be best to go when it's quieter then you can have a good look around. Do be prepared to haggle, we were told to half the original price and half it again then that should be about right! The boat trips are great fun and a good way to see a bit of Sousse as well. Although be aware of street sellers as they are very pushy!!!!

And finally The Animation Team!
Well what can I say, as it has already been said by many people, these guys work every hour of the day and totally make your holiday if your willing to get involved. They are always happy and pleased to see you. They speak many languages and make you feel totally comfortable. They will ask if you want to get involved in games but I never felt pushed into doing so. A word of warning watch out for cheeky Titi, who will pour water over you if your caught sleeping when he's around, but it's all good fun!

I would say that this is a good 3 star hotel with many positives but it does need updating here and there but if your expecting the Ritz then go to the Ritz!!!!!!!

A measure of how good this place is whether you will go back again and I'm sure we will!

Some tips for if you choose to go on this lovely holiday at the Hotel Riviera.

1. The hotel staff are not paid much to look after you. Interact with them, make friends and if you want special treatment then tip them for it. I made friends with the cocktail bar guy and he looked after us every night after ;-)

2. Don't follow the crowd for meals. This hotel caters for 500-1000 people. There is no way they can feed that many at once. Stay in the bar and enjoy the music until the restaurant empties a bit. We never had a problem finding a table. This is good advice for the evening though in the morning we never had trouble finding what we wanted.

3. Go with an open mind and don't ignore the staff as they help you, feed you or entertain you. Get involved and I promise you you'll have a holiday you will always remember for the RIGHT reasons.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
northwales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Well arrived back yesterday from a fantastic 2wk holiday in the Riviera- The hotel was recommended so thank you Debra. The hotel staff were fabulous as was the animation team probably the friendliest and hardest working team we have ever met.
The rooms were big, clean and air conditioned. The food was great something for everyone, a small down side was the queing in the dinning roon at peak times which we tried to avoid.
Our girls who are 19 and 16 made so many friends and had the best time ever thanks to Slim, Sam, Joe, Smiley, TT and Emily.
We went back to Tunisia for a total chill and on returning back from the Riviera we felt very recharged.
The beach is a small walk way from the hotel- go an see the sun rise was amazing.
Port el Kantaoui can be chaois so be prepared its not the first time we have ventured into the harbour but can be draining. Dont be ripped off by the locals go to your welcome meeting for advice and guidence.
Would definatly recommend the riviera to families even couples of all ages, we are hoping to return next year

Room Tip: recommend a pool and sea view
Antwerp, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at the riviera hotel from the 17th until the 24th of august. I went there with my three kids (15,13 and 12), my friend an her daughter (12)The rooms were basic but clean. There was no individual airconditioning like they said. In public areas the airconditioning was switched off so it was too hot. The staff was very friendly and willing to help if possible. But they were understaffed and they also had too warm... Every morning we had to wait for cups, every day it was a struggle to find a table with no dirty dishes...Food was the same every day. There were too many tourists for the material they had available : not enough cups, not enough plates, and so on. Drinks were hot. There are no refridgerators to make sure drinks are served cold : coca cola, fanta, water all hot...Not very refreshing when you're hot and thirsty...Animation team was very friendly. We will never go back to this hotel. The management of the hotel is lousy nevertheless most of the employees were friendly and helpfull. Public areas were not very clean...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Dessole Riviera? Share your experiences!