“Fabulous holiday at the Hotel Kanta” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Kanta

You added Hotel Kanta to your Saves list
Hotel Kanta
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Route touristique BP 23, Port El Kantaoui 4089, Tunisia   |
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
South Milford
“Fabulous holiday at the Hotel Kanta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My friend and I visited Tunisia July 2013. This being my first visit and my friends third. We didnt have a great deal of choice due to late booking and the Kanta was the option we chose. I was a little dubious as have normally chosen 5* hotels. However, this was perfect.
The room was immaculate, bathrobes, fresh towels and bedding daily. The maids made pretty shapes out of our nightwear.
Food was excellent although we did prefer the dining room to the Al a Carte restaurant. The pool and the beach bar provided an excellent choice of food for lunch.
The pool attendants were very helpful and there was always drink waiters around. The pool was clean although rather deep.
The bar staff within the hotel were fabulous and made our holiday. All the staff were very helpful and friendly and gorgeous looking lol and couldn't do enough for us.
The tuk tuk to the beach was an excellent service and runs every 5mins through the day.
Port El Kantaoui is a lovely place with lots of souvenir shops. Copy designer goods are readily available in the shops and most accept sterling.
Before I forget the Haman and seaweed wrap in the spa is fab.

All in all a great hotel which made for a great holiday. Wish i was there now.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main part of the hotel not within the grounds.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

First of all be prepared for a long time at the airport, we arrived with 3 other flights and the queue for the visas to be stamped was horrific, our bags were put on the same conveyor belt as another flight even though there were spare and so the amount of people milling around the belt was huge as you can imagine. It took over 2 and half hours from landing to get to the bus, saying that the airport is nice and air conditioned so better that than sitting on a hot bus for an hour or two. The transfer time was just over half an hour and we were the second stop.
You have to fill another visa style form in again at the hotel but not so bad. We weren't told what was going on and just called over to follow a few other parties and when we asked we were just told "follow me". If you can relax and accept that they will bring your luggage along about ten/fifteen minutes later it helps.
The room was like a 70' style Butlins room, obviously not a newly renovated one but clean enough. Nice and quiet though so managed to sleep with a blanket folded up under the sheet as the beds were rock hard.
I asked about the kids club and was told that it was in progress, however there did not seem to be a kids club room in the hotel anywhere and I'm sure that they do not have one full stop. There was an animation team for volleyball, darts etc but for all ages not just kids. This was a huge disappointment as I really wanted a little bit of relaxation time each day. Main pool had the activities and ear splitting music level, but the top two pools were lovely and quiet.
Evening entertainment was outside in the pool bar, not much to stay up for and the usual aga doo for the kids around 9pm. Did see African dancers and Lady boys gettting ready to go on stage around 10 ish but we never stayed to see what it was like.
The first four days were lovely but after Ramadan finished the hotel could not cope and there were not enough sunbeds (the pool boy even took beds from people he had seen lying on ten mins earlier and who had just popped off for a drink and gave them to the locals). The queues in the restaurant were horrific at this point too and we ended up just getting spag bol each meal time as there no queue at that point. Before Ramadan finished however the queues were very managable.
The food was varied and they did try and cater for fussy children by having pizza, chips and spag bol there every day but that was just for our benefit really. I enjoyed the food but my partner who is a fussy eater had trouble findng something to enjoy. We ate at the pool bar most lunch times as their burgers were gorgeous, they had fresh pizzas and paninis too.
The pool bar was only available for food for All Inc guests when the restuarant stopped serving which was a bit of a pain as we could only have lunch there after 2pm, however paying guests could have food at any time. We both suffered with dodgy stomachs and so drank lots of water which the drinks waiters will give you if you ask for it.
The waiters couldn't do enough for you and were very nice. The pool attending drinks waiters were half and half and you had to sign for every drink that you had if you werer All Inc. One waiter was always giving us receipts for more drinks than we had and whether he was scamming the half boarders or making it easier to remember the drinks order that way we don't know. I did query it once with him but his attitude stank so I didn't query it again.
There are little safe boxes at reception which cost us 17 dinar for the week, which is very reasonable. There are towels to hire but we didn't take this up, as far as I can remember it was a cheap deposit of around 5 dinar.
The supermarket, mariner and fountains are a few minutes walk away. Every time we left the hotel a young boy came up selling flowers but we just said no and walked on and he just turned around without any fuss. The supermarket is very cheap so stock up on snacks for the airport as its expensive there. The duty free was expensive too so if you find something in resort don't wait for the airport.
The other store traders do hassle you and you just have to walk away, the older ones will call you disrespectful which didn't do them any favours if they wanted us to go into their stores. Haggle and walk away and they will still drop the price as your walking out of their door.
The mariner is nice to walk around and not very big, the restaurant owners around the one end really hassle you to go in but you get used to saying no. I smiled far too much and I think they take advantage of that, my partner didn't and they didn't hassle him.
You can change money at the hotel, currently 1 dinar is about 40p. Make sure you change little and often and keep your receipts as you will need to produce them when you change back at the bank at the airport and they only allow you to change 30% of what you originally changed. The duty free and restuarants at the airport don't accept dinar so you need to change it before you go through passport control.
Temp out there at the moment is mid 30's, bearable to sit out in and the evening was not too warm either. Air con in the hotel was great.
I think that if we had a better hotel with a kids club, this was 3 star not a 4 star we would have enjoyed it a lot more. Don't think I can persuade my partner to go back to Tunisia after this, but I would.

Room Tip: I think the main hotel rooms were better than the studios. We were in 2041
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ayr, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Having spent another great holiday at the Kanta Hotel our 6th! I feel I have to review as I can not understand some of the damming comments in previous reviews.
Firstly you are visiting north Africa a country with a completely different culture surely this is part of traveling abroad to experience something different. If that bothers you don't visit Tunisia.
Also remember how much you paid for your holiday similar in a European hotel would probably be double the amount. So obviously this hotel provides great value.
The hotel over the years keeps evolving and just keeps improving.
The hotel is spotless and is maintained inside and out to a very nigh standard.
When you arrive porters attend to your luggage and deliver to your room. Pool guards bring u sunbeds to your desired spot. Waiting staff bring you food and drink around the pool area. The bar staff in the Piano bar provide excellent waiter service. Waiter in the dining room do an amazing job. All done with a smile. All service provided is first class.
I don't know how anyone can complain about the food provided, it is well cooked and beautifully presented with plenty of choice. (No you won't get a fry up) if that's what you want you're in the wrong country.
The Management are always in attendance in the dining area to ensure the high standard of food and service.
I have enjoyed each visit to this hotel and look forward to visiting again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

15/8/13
There are no words to describe how horrendous our trip to this country was!
would never return and would not recommend this hotel to anyone, though I assume that everyone's standards are different.
1. Hotel smelled
2. Food was awful - chicken was pink, 'boiled' eggs were runny, food was covered in flies
3. Asked for a coke with no ice and waiter returned with coke with ice, i told him that i had asked for a coke without ice and he put his fingers in my drink and removed the ice #disgusting.
4. Witnessed waiter pouring 'used' drinks into new glasses to be sent to other guests who had recently ordered similar drinks.
5. Water from tap was yellow
6. Got harassed from porters demanding notes at the airport

As a result of this trip we only attended this particular hotel for 2 days and got an early flight home.
Cant even begin to compare to any other holiday destination i have attended.
would never return to Tunisia - waste of time, effort and money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

To be honest reading some of the reviews on here after we had booked Hotel Kanta, I felt like we had made the wrong choice. But right from the first afternoon at the hotel, i knew i would love it!

The airport coming into tunisia was a bit of a ball ache as we had to wait for over an hour to have our visa stamped but it wasnt much fuss.

we arrived at the hotel and had to fill another visa in whilst our bags were taken up to our room. when we got into our rooms, it was lovely, we was on the 4th floor and you could see the whole sea and the marina but not much of the pool but that was okay.

we had complimentary fruit and water in the fridge and our rooms were cleaned daily, we did tip the maid as every day she would place my pjamas in a strange pattern on the bed and the room was always tidy!

the restuarant was amazing, so much variety and we became very close with our waiter who seemed to love the fact that i was pregnant. on your first night your allocated a table which you sit at everynight. whereas breakfast and lunch, you can generally sit anywhere.

the private beach is amazing, so pleasant and quiet and the sea is lovely too. there are little fishes that swim round your feet. the beach bar is great, serves anything from salad - pizza - burgers - fajhitas. This same food is served at the pool bar.

the pools are huge! we stayed by the quieter one most of the time but still got a bit of music which was nice also.

I would suggest going into the marina, but I will warn you, there is a particular guy outside of the hotel that will say he is the chef and it is his night off, he will try to sell you a necklace with a little hand on it, he will charge 90DNR, we manged to get him down to 40DNR. but even that was far too much!

If you are planning on going to Sousse, i do recommend you get the train which is just near the supermarket(taxi rank) which is 3.5 DNR return trip each. it is a pleasant journey and a good sightseeing experience. But you will have to take note of the colour of the train as you will need to get that one back or pay again. I expected the Medina to be a bit of a indoor shopping centre but it was just a lot of stalls selling different tunisia things. I didnt really like this, but i did buy a lovely lilo whilst in sousse which made up for it.

The evening entertainment is a bit poor and to be honest I got more involved in the Snoopy disco for the children than anything. If anyone knows the name of the tunisia song they sing at the beginning of it, please do let me know! :)

Please dont always believe the negative reviews you get on here, I mean how many people would want to go round and take pictures of a little bit of flush on a carpet on holiday? It is 4* but it is tunisian 4*. You have to give them some lee way!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Firstly i don't understand why any1 would give a negative review!! Darren & i went in July for the 1st time in Tunisia and where a little apprehensive. Airport ran smoothly and quickly (avoid porters, a sturn no ty moves them along). Lol. Hotel Kanta was 30 mins & 2nd stop. Wow!! Hat a beautiful, caring welcome with lemon and mint drink . Nice and cooling. We requested a top floor via email and got the "pent house"as they say;-). Room and view was beautiful, cleaned daily, food beautiful, such variety. There was so much to do around this hotel it felt like HOME!! Staff are brilliant loved them very attentive and would do anything to help. We upgraded to All incl for 20pd a day which was great savings. Entertainment is ok and improving we (the wakey wakey club) enjoyed each night and joined in with the animation team (nice guys). Waiters/pool guards were fantastic with or without a tip. We tipped 10 dinar every 2 nites. Newspaper room hmmm beautiful looking and a must try but not (italian nite) cold!! Tai nite is a bit better;-). Felt so welcome here and returning next year and so are our many friends. Thank you Kanta for making our holiday special. Kimberley & Jacko xox

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The staff who work at the hotel are lovely and all very friendly. Daytime entertainment involved water aerobics, darts and water polo and it was a great way to meet new people and take a break from sunbathing! The evening entertainment is very enjoyable with something different every night (but the same weekly) and it gave us something to do in the evenings. They would make an effort to get the kids involved which was lovely.
The beach is private to the hotel so it is kept very clean and it means the sunbeds are free. There were lots of water sports to do and the were so much fun!
The food was decent, and there was a lot on offer. If theres an allergy, you only need to inform them and they will let you know which foods to avoid.
We were in a 'family room' and I was disappointed. The room was very dated and not like any of the photos(but as you don't spend much time in the room its not a big deal). It also seemed quite unclean and at times our new bed linen would have stains/blood on it and that was quite off putting.
Be sure to get a safe and put everything in it, I came back after an excursion and found my purse unzipped and a few english coins taken from it - it isn't the end of the world, but I wanted my stuff to feel secure when the maid came and this wasn't the case.
The local people are friendly, however they are mainly trying to get you to buy something or trying to recommend you visit 'this really great shop' where their friend works.. however this was part of the cultural experience and overall the area felt safe and lively.
Overall its a lovely hotel which meant we had a great holiday!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Kanta? Share your experiences!