“Great staff make this Hotel a five star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Kanta

You added Hotel Kanta to your Saves list
Hotel Kanta
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Route touristique BP 23, Port El Kantaoui 4089, Tunisia   |
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
powys
“Great staff make this Hotel a five star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed here during February when the hotel was not full. The rooms are nice and clean with daily housekeeping, and the food, although quite samey was of a good selection with enough choice to suit everyone. The staff make this hotel, not a cross word or sullen face from anyone, always cheerful, polite and attentive. Even the Manager made a special effort to say hello. Facilities are good with two outdoor and one indoor pool, games room and hotel bar. Just a couple of minutes walk away is the Irish Bar, if a change of scene is needed. The Hotel during February provided evening entertainment such as bingo and live singers with keyboard - not my kind of thing but the effort was noted, and on Valentines Day made a very special effort to decorate all the dining tables, provide music and dancers, and a fantastic 7 course evening meal. Additionally, all the ladies were given a fresh red rose. A great effort by the staff, really appreciated.

The bar drinks and food can be paid for straight away or signed for and paid every few days or so, the system seemed to be accurate. The Hotel has a private beach which we did visit briefly because of the cold, but it all looked very nice, and again the beach bar manned by staff. All in all a very nice hotel, and I am sure would have an even better atmosphere during the hotter summer months, as the outside gardens and pool areas are great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Polish first
Potters Bar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just returned from lovely stay at Hotel Kanta... great staff/service, had fun time, smiles from the friendliest staff hotel-wide.

Food was great, 3 course brekkie's and 3 course evening meals - catered for all tastes.

Cannot find a fault with this hotel at all. 35 mins from airport too so transfer simple and also not too far to travel to historical sites Tunis, Catharge, El Jem and other coastal resorts, Nabeul, Hammermet and Sousse.

My only bug bear was it was chilly so didn't get chance to chill on beach or by one of the 3 pools (but - it's February and week's been between 13-16 degrees) - nothing to do with hotel however, just mother nature!

Room Tip: was quiet here as stayed in winter... had six floors and had ramps for wheels.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My partner and I stayed here in September 2012 and had a fantastic time. We went half board with Thomas Cook which meant our breakfast or lunch was included and then dinner in the evening. We had to pay for our drinks but we didnt mind (probably would have taken more advantage of the poolside waiter service if we had chosen all inclusive!)
The hotel itself was lovely, very friendly and welcoming staff upon arrival, our room was clean and comfortable with a balcony and amazing views out to the marina- there was a bottle of rose wine waiting to greet us on arrival too
There was always plenty of choice of food, however we found a lot of the buffet food to be quite bland. Top Tip: always go for whatever they are making fresh on the grill. In the evenings it was often fish or steak. Anything from the grill always tasted amazing, the desserts are to die for too.
The pool area is beautiful with plenty of space and free sunbeds,we always used the little pool tucked away from the main pool as this was quieter and a real suntrap.
The hotel has its own private beach which was always kept clean. The only thing is the beach is about a 10-15 min walk from the hotel. Get there early if you want a sunbed and try the tuktuk bus from the hotel, its fun to ride and just takes 5 minutes to drive to the beach.
Get used to tipping, one Dinar is only about 20p but goes a long way and the Tunisians do rely on tips as part of their income. We found Tunisia to be a lovely country and the people as a whole are very friendly. Dont be put off by some of the reviews saying they got abuse from shopkeepers etc. We found a firm but polite No thankyou worked fine and if you feel hassled just walk away. At the marina there are some 'fixed price' shops so if you dont like haggling then they are your best bet for souveneirs.
Definutely do some of the excursions on offer they are a great way to see the country particularly African Dream and Sahara Explorer, where you see the colosseum and go for a camel trek through the Sahara(take water, wear trousers or longer shorts and dont forget your camera for the unbelievable views!) Its a long journey with an overnight hotel stay but well worth it as you see and do so much in just two days. There are plenty of stops so you never feel cooped up on the coach, it is well air-conditioned and comfortable. The tour guide was excellent aswell, so informative about the country and culture.
Overall this was an amazing holiday and we would definitely come back to Hotel Kanta.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed with my other half in Sept '12. Bit skeptical about staying here after reading some of the reviews, but we were very pleasantly surprised. The staff were absolutely lovely, rooms were very clean and the food was great! Do's and Dont's...
Do:
-Check out the excursions, specially the African dream one! Very reasonably priced.
-Leave a tip for the pool waiters. (they are so attentive if you do and they don't make a lot)
-Check out the marina.
-Bring your own pillow if possible, the beds and pillows are soo hard.
Don't:
-Accept ANYTHING from people in the street. Men with bags of nuts will give you some to try then make you pay for them, little kids try to give you flowers then expect payment. Best to just leave it. (the nuts are really nice, but you can buy them in the shops for cheaper)
-Go on the camel ride excursion without enough water, and try to go at a time when you don't mind having a very sore bum and legs! It hurts! and its a loooooong day in the desert.
- Expect to be able to get money changed whenever. First thing in the morning is the best time in the hotel, as when they run out they don't get anymore until the next day.

Will definitely be returning :)

Room Tip: rooms to the right of the lobby are quiet and always sunny :)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Irvine, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed here with my girlfriend in july 2012. Wet all Inclusive with Direct Holidays (Thomas Cook) were so helpful and our Rep Jenna was Great!. Hotel was potless from the minute we walked till the day we walked out! Room was bright and air con was on for us arriving! think it was just newly refurbished as it was all modern etc. 2 pools, we always went to the one hidden at back as it wasnt as busy so easier to chill out. snck bar was good for lunch and all food and drink was good. no small plastic cups for all inclusive , just normal drinks in normal glasses, the way it should be. 2minute walk to the marina and at night is full of tourists shopping.
great hotel and great holiday. booked this year for July 2013 but trying the Marhaba Palace which is across the road. fingers crossed its as good!

Room Tip: We had a room on 3rd floor, 327 i think but all seem to be refurbished and are very nice!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Me and my girlfriend decided on our first xmas outside of the UK and booked the Hotel Kanta through Thomas Cook..

Was very pleasantly surprised with the Hotel Kanta,, we arrived at Enfidha and the weather was beautiful!! I was abit paranoid the weather in December wouldn't be very good, but it was easily in the low 20's!!.. Transfers from the airport were smooth and upon arrival at Kanta we were greeted with refreshing mint drinks, dates, and warm towels in reception.. Went to the room which was absolutely spotless (the cleaners are very good and the room was kept lovely the whole stay),, in the room there was a complimentary bottle of rose wine and water and a basket of fruit..

The room more than met our expectations, we had the pool/sea view which was gorgeous (we were on the 4th floor).. Facilities in the room are great although the television has no english channels other than BBC world news.

Being on a bodybuilder diet I was abit paranoid about losing weight on the holiday as I can be a fussy eater at the best of times but the selection of food was amazing,, massive choice of foods and I was happy to find an endless supply of different meat and plenty of rice so I was sorted :-).. My girlfriend however who isn't a fussy eater claimed that she found the menu to be abit of a challenge to find things she liked... I must say I was hugely dissapointed with the desert selection though, they all tasted really odd :-/

Entertainment wise I didn't think the hotel had a lot to offer,, they had occasional evening entertainment in the reception on evenings but this was all (I attribute this to going out of season though).. The hotel bar was nice and the bar staff very friendly,, as a smoker I was happy to realise I could smoke in the bar!! It's been a few years since I've been able to enjoy a cigarette and a drink without having to go outside in the cold.. This may annoy non smokers though who have gotten used to the smoking ban in the UK.

The outdoor pools looked really good, although we didn't swim as the water was absolutely freezing!! There is a small indoor heated pool however which we swam in most days (unfortunately I think I had a rather severe allergic reaction to that pool as my skin became incredibly dry and my hands broke out in lots of raised red bumps :-/,, upon return to the UK these cleared up in 2 days!!)..

The hotel has it's own gym,, I was abit disapointed that this cost extra to use though, I was under the impression it was free but cost 7 TUD per hour session (around £3).. The gym is well equiped, however the smallest size weight they have is 5kg which affected my workouts as 10kg heavier proved to much and 10kg lighter on the bench was abit to easy,, no happy medium.. The lady who works in the gym was very friendly (very pretty to!) however being the only person working out at any given time I would have liked her to just leave me be and let me work out on my own,, but I guess for health and safety reasons she probably has to stay.

I would imagine the hotel is extremely vibrant in the summer months.. We found in the winter months there are alot of long stayers there,, a healthy community of older british couples,,, being in our young 20's we found we were the youngest people in the hotel.. It was a little bit eiery how quiet the place was at times!

The Irish bar next door is very good for entertainment,, pool tables,, karaoke, live music etc.. although the prices aren't cheap,, it's pretty much UK prices for food and drink,, £3+ for alcoholic drinks

This was our first visit to Tunisia, and despite the hotel being very good, we don't think we'll return to this country... We feel abit let down that our travel agent didn't mention this to us,, but the local people are an absolute nightmare,, shopping is a nightmare and we feel this massively let down what could have been a really brilliant holiday.. You cannot walk 6ft down the street without being hassled by local shop keepers to come and buy their products,, I must say they are brilliant salesmen because they simply do not let up,, on a few occasions they were incredibly rude shouting obsenities simply because we refused to go in their shops!!,, After 40 hours or so with no sleep on the first day that was the last thing we wanted/expected, and it actually made my girlfriend very upset.. This was also coupled by the fact local and foreign arabic women were simply staring at her and either laughing or looking her up and down with disgusted looks... There was absolutely nothing wrong with her, she wasn't dressed inapropriately (she was wearing jeans a tee shirt!!), and it made her feel very self concious,, still not sure what that was about to this day, but it continued for the entire 7 day stay..

The beach wasn't very pleasant,, litter and beer bottles all over the place,, weird arabic "chavs" sitting around looking like they were about to mug you, and some weird black algae being washed onto the beach the whole time.. I was told off season it's just left be, but it summer months cleaned so I would imagine its very nice in the summer.

Lovely holiday, brilliant weather,, excellent hotel and facilities,, but the pushy arabic/muslim culture was not what we had hoped to encounter.. It gets abit tedious having to tell a million people "No!" everyday.. I can see why alot of the long stayers were not really leaving the hotel resort

Room Tip: Pool side = sun in morning... Front facing = sun in afternoon.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
leics
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We came to this hotel mid week after walking out of another hotel in sousse, this was much better the staff are really nice and friendly. The rooms are spotless the food is okay although the menu changed significantly when the Tunisians came at the weekend, they tend to take over the hotels, and I have never met such a rude nation. The shopping is a nightmare if you don't buy of the shopkeepers they are extremely rude. We won't be visiting again ever my advise don't go

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Kanta? Share your experiences!