“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Kanta

Save Saved
You added Hotel Kanta to your Saves list
Hotel Kanta
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Route touristique BP 23, Port El Kantaoui 4089, Tunisia   |
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed with my other half in Sept '12. Bit skeptical about staying here after reading some of the reviews, but we were very pleasantly surprised. The staff were absolutely lovely, rooms were very clean and the food was great! Do's and Dont's...
Do:
-Check out the excursions, specially the African dream one! Very reasonably priced.
-Leave a tip for the pool waiters. (they are so attentive if you do and they don't make a lot)
-Check out the marina.
-Bring your own pillow if possible, the beds and pillows are soo hard.
Don't:
-Accept ANYTHING from people in the street. Men with bags of nuts will give you some to try then make you pay for them, little kids try to give you flowers then expect payment. Best to just leave it. (the nuts are really nice, but you can buy them in the shops for cheaper)
-Go on the camel ride excursion without enough water, and try to go at a time when you don't mind having a very sore bum and legs! It hurts! and its a loooooong day in the desert.
- Expect to be able to get money changed whenever. First thing in the morning is the best time in the hotel, as when they run out they don't get anymore until the next day.

Will definitely be returning :)

Room Tip: rooms to the right of the lobby are quiet and always sunny :)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Irvine, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed here with my girlfriend in july 2012. Wet all Inclusive with Direct Holidays (Thomas Cook) were so helpful and our Rep Jenna was Great!. Hotel was potless from the minute we walked till the day we walked out! Room was bright and air con was on for us arriving! think it was just newly refurbished as it was all modern etc. 2 pools, we always went to the one hidden at back as it wasnt as busy so easier to chill out. snck bar was good for lunch and all food and drink was good. no small plastic cups for all inclusive , just normal drinks in normal glasses, the way it should be. 2minute walk to the marina and at night is full of tourists shopping.
great hotel and great holiday. booked this year for July 2013 but trying the Marhaba Palace which is across the road. fingers crossed its as good!

Room Tip: We had a room on 3rd floor, 327 i think but all seem to be refurbished and are very nice!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Me and my girlfriend decided on our first xmas outside of the UK and booked the Hotel Kanta through Thomas Cook..

Was very pleasantly surprised with the Hotel Kanta,, we arrived at Enfidha and the weather was beautiful!! I was abit paranoid the weather in December wouldn't be very good, but it was easily in the low 20's!!.. Transfers from the airport were smooth and upon arrival at Kanta we were greeted with refreshing mint drinks, dates, and warm towels in reception.. Went to the room which was absolutely spotless (the cleaners are very good and the room was kept lovely the whole stay),, in the room there was a complimentary bottle of rose wine and water and a basket of fruit..

The room more than met our expectations, we had the pool/sea view which was gorgeous (we were on the 4th floor).. Facilities in the room are great although the television has no english channels other than BBC world news.

Being on a bodybuilder diet I was abit paranoid about losing weight on the holiday as I can be a fussy eater at the best of times but the selection of food was amazing,, massive choice of foods and I was happy to find an endless supply of different meat and plenty of rice so I was sorted :-).. My girlfriend however who isn't a fussy eater claimed that she found the menu to be abit of a challenge to find things she liked... I must say I was hugely dissapointed with the desert selection though, they all tasted really odd :-/

Entertainment wise I didn't think the hotel had a lot to offer,, they had occasional evening entertainment in the reception on evenings but this was all (I attribute this to going out of season though).. The hotel bar was nice and the bar staff very friendly,, as a smoker I was happy to realise I could smoke in the bar!! It's been a few years since I've been able to enjoy a cigarette and a drink without having to go outside in the cold.. This may annoy non smokers though who have gotten used to the smoking ban in the UK.

The outdoor pools looked really good, although we didn't swim as the water was absolutely freezing!! There is a small indoor heated pool however which we swam in most days (unfortunately I think I had a rather severe allergic reaction to that pool as my skin became incredibly dry and my hands broke out in lots of raised red bumps :-/,, upon return to the UK these cleared up in 2 days!!)..

The hotel has it's own gym,, I was abit disapointed that this cost extra to use though, I was under the impression it was free but cost 7 TUD per hour session (around £3).. The gym is well equiped, however the smallest size weight they have is 5kg which affected my workouts as 10kg heavier proved to much and 10kg lighter on the bench was abit to easy,, no happy medium.. The lady who works in the gym was very friendly (very pretty to!) however being the only person working out at any given time I would have liked her to just leave me be and let me work out on my own,, but I guess for health and safety reasons she probably has to stay.

I would imagine the hotel is extremely vibrant in the summer months.. We found in the winter months there are alot of long stayers there,, a healthy community of older british couples,,, being in our young 20's we found we were the youngest people in the hotel.. It was a little bit eiery how quiet the place was at times!

The Irish bar next door is very good for entertainment,, pool tables,, karaoke, live music etc.. although the prices aren't cheap,, it's pretty much UK prices for food and drink,, £3+ for alcoholic drinks

This was our first visit to Tunisia, and despite the hotel being very good, we don't think we'll return to this country... We feel abit let down that our travel agent didn't mention this to us,, but the local people are an absolute nightmare,, shopping is a nightmare and we feel this massively let down what could have been a really brilliant holiday.. You cannot walk 6ft down the street without being hassled by local shop keepers to come and buy their products,, I must say they are brilliant salesmen because they simply do not let up,, on a few occasions they were incredibly rude shouting obsenities simply because we refused to go in their shops!!,, After 40 hours or so with no sleep on the first day that was the last thing we wanted/expected, and it actually made my girlfriend very upset.. This was also coupled by the fact local and foreign arabic women were simply staring at her and either laughing or looking her up and down with disgusted looks... There was absolutely nothing wrong with her, she wasn't dressed inapropriately (she was wearing jeans a tee shirt!!), and it made her feel very self concious,, still not sure what that was about to this day, but it continued for the entire 7 day stay..

The beach wasn't very pleasant,, litter and beer bottles all over the place,, weird arabic "chavs" sitting around looking like they were about to mug you, and some weird black algae being washed onto the beach the whole time.. I was told off season it's just left be, but it summer months cleaned so I would imagine its very nice in the summer.

Lovely holiday, brilliant weather,, excellent hotel and facilities,, but the pushy arabic/muslim culture was not what we had hoped to encounter.. It gets abit tedious having to tell a million people "No!" everyday.. I can see why alot of the long stayers were not really leaving the hotel resort

Room Tip: Pool side = sun in morning... Front facing = sun in afternoon.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
leics
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We came to this hotel mid week after walking out of another hotel in sousse, this was much better the staff are really nice and friendly. The rooms are spotless the food is okay although the menu changed significantly when the Tunisians came at the weekend, they tend to take over the hotels, and I have never met such a rude nation. The shopping is a nightmare if you don't buy of the shopkeepers they are extremely rude. We won't be visiting again ever my advise don't go

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Bit of a delay writing this review, my partner and I are massive Marhaba Palace fans, always had a look around the Kanta but it was always out of our price range, as we were looking for a quick break in Nov, the Kanta was alot cheaper, so we decided to take the plunge, and boy am I glad we did, from the minute we arrived we were greeted in reception by Saroya the receptionist who showed us to seats to fill out the cards, a waiter appeared with a refreshing drink and 2 cool towels, we were shown to our room on the 4th floor overlooking the entrance, as soon as we stepped out of the lift we were greeted with a very pleasant smell of a candle, our room was very spacious excellently clean, with a bottle of water and a basket of fruit and a bottle of Rose, which was nice, the fridge was stocked, 2 very fluffy bathrobes in the bathroom, and a few toiletries, take note MP we do not want dispensers on the wall. After having a quick look round we decided to take lunch at the pool bar which was lovely, not many people about but a few people who had been coming for years, a couple who had been staying at the sister hotel in Hammermet, but was moved down as it was being refurb, but the people we met were just coming to the end of their month/3month holidays, we stayed for 10 days, 7-18 nov, the weather was kind to us, warm during the day, and a bit windy in the evenings but still warm.

The buffet was the best we have had, the chefs very helpful and friendly, 1 night I couldnt make up my mind and they were concerned there wasnt anything for me as I was wandering with a empty plate, but the choice was too great and I thanked them everynight for superb food and choice.

The dining room was lovely a couple of nights they put the main lights down and it was candlelight looked lovely, alot of space between tables, waiters very friendly and unobtrusive, also very smart uniforms.

Pomegrantes were in season I had them every night as part of my dessert, and they were peeled great, we all know how much they cost on the supermarkets over here, as well as other fruit available.

Breakfast was excellent as well coffee machine so cappucinos every morning, and youghurts, loved the coconut flavour, not plain made up in a bowl, but proper pots, eggs every way you want them, cereal, chesses etc, and a toast machine.

Food must be good as the owner, his wife and kids came over in the mornings and breakfasted with us all, very friendly family, always said goodmoring.

Sunbed mattresses free thats a 1st at any Hotel we have stayed in , in PEK, so another bonus.

Went to the beach for a morning but it was really windy so gave up and had a lovely afternoon around the pool, Noticed a reviewer said about the noise around the pool perhaps as we went out of season there wasnt any music being played, but a guy offering boules and darts.

Well done Kanta, we will be back 2013, loved it, we have stayed in a few Hotels now in PEK, but I really enjoyed

Room Tip: Dont know if there are any bad rooms everyone we spoke to didnt have any complaints
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just had 2 weeks at above hotel, the staff were so friendly, the rooms clean and spacious and the selection of food at buffet meals was out of this world. It was my first visit to Tunisia and I was so surprised , complimentary drink on arrival and also Bottle of wine and water in our rooms. I wish I had discovered it years ago instead of the continual inflation I put up with in Majorca. There was a free shuttle bus to beach every day and it was a pleasant stroll to the marina boasting plenty of very reasonable priced refreshments and goodies. Cost of living was amazing low. I hope to make another visit very soon.
My friend and I joined in games of darts and boulles most days,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Port El Kantaoui, Tunisia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

All change at the Kanta. New manager, knows what he is doing, a people person. New chef, what a difference, he is great, the food is very good, there are big things going to happen at this hotel, I have been coming here for years & I am excited by all the new plans. The staff here are even nicer than before, far more relaxed, lots of smiles. If you want a really good holiday come here!, & by the way the sound is back on the t.v.

Room Tip: Sun in the mornings chose odd number rooms Sun in the afternoons chose even number rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Kanta? Share your experiences!