“Lovely cafe” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Newcastle, England
“Lovely cafe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I was staying a hotel near by the "New Fly" as I have for many years. I would usually just walk past it and not go in, but when I was last in Tunisia in November 2011 I visited new fly and I was thoroughly impressed. It is just as beautiful on the inside as it is on the outside. The staff were all dressed like cabin crew staff and all the seats were like they on an air plane. I only had a can of coke which was very plain of me but I enjoyed sitting in the cafe even still. The staff were polite although not all could speak English, I am due to go back to Port El Kantaoui on March 6th 2013 and I will be visiting New Fly again.

Visited February 2012

Sandwell, West Midlands
“The look outside is great, but the food is awful...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Living here in Tunisia is fantastic for very good restaurants, and unfortunately the New Fly restaurant has to be one of the worst for food quality.

Both myself and a friend decided to go to this restaurant as we had passed it on numerous occasions, and often stopped for photos outside by the aeroplanes. Walking into the restaurant the aviation theme is continued, with the tables set out like the inside of an aeroplane. I thought this was quite novel, but I imagine if you're out here on holiday, the last thing you want to do is go back onto an aeroplane ;)

After moving tables 3 times because they were incredibly uncomfortable, with the tables being too high for the chairs - we moved into "first class". This is a completely separate room to the rest of the restaurant and the two of us were the only people in there. Because of this, the waiters seemed to forget about us, and it took quite a long time for us to get served.

The initial disappointment was that the menu was in French and only French. I asked the waiter for a menu in English, and he said that they didn't have one - surprising for a resort with predominantly Brit holidaymakers. Because of this I felt that I didn't have much of a selection, as I would obviously only order what I knew I wanted. I chanced on the "grillede mixede" being a mixed grill and ordered that, while my friend ordered a "steak poivre" (steak and peppercorn sauce). It's worth noting that they didn't ask how she would like her steak cooked - BIG NO NO LOL!

The food didn't take long to come at all which I thought was great until I saw it. There was just far too much going on for one meal. I had a skillet of sizzling meat and a plate the size of your average driving wheel filled with random bits and bobs of food - there was some pasta (cold, dry boring), rice (desert rice, very much al dente), mixed vegetables (one of which was unidentifiable), tajine (the only thing any good), salad etc. I then set about the meat, all unidentifiable - was it lamb, beef, chicken, turkey, mutton, camel....who knows!!! Either way it was tough and unenjoyable. My friend did enjoy her steak, but it was cooked too well done for her and she couldn't finish it.

Feeling full but thoroughly dis-satisfied, we noticed the look of the fantastic ice-creams. The ice creams are the only reason this is getting 2 stars instead of 1. The ice-creams were all colourful and glamorous and reasonably priced. I had the strawberry spaghetti ice-cream and it was lovely - very light too! My friend ordered the chocolate liegois and she enjoyed that too. Unfortunately, we couldn't finish them because of the sub-standard food we'd asked for before.

So we asked for the bill that he brought over quite quickly, then waited for the change that he didn't bring over at all. This is one thing that really bugged me. If I want to tip a waiter for good service, I will. I have done in restaurants all over Tunisia, but I wasn't tipping the waiter who served us. During the ordering process, he was with 3 of his waiter friends talking to them in arabic and laughing at us. If he wasn't laughing at us - it felt like it. ¬_¬

Overall, if you fancy a coffee go somewhere else. If you fancy going for food - stay well clear. If you want to relive your flight over to Tunisia while being laughed at - come inside and take a seat.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
bristol
“great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

went to the new fly twice once just for a cold drink as they do not sell alcohol, and the second time for lunch very good price nice pizzas very large lovely fresh orange juice always busy with locals always a good sign. very interesting full of aircraft memorabilia even down to some of the seats which are from a real aircraft lots of planes,pictures etc

• Visited October 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Food good
Staff good
Clean
Just mad sitting in an aircraft theme restaurant lots of locals eat there so it must be good

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
hull east yorkshire
“great food big portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

we went here for a treat as seen good reviews on tripadvisor. i had a chicken kebab which came with chips and like a square omelatte which is really nice and my husband had the steak with chips and the square omelatte. it does look like a plane inside which looks really good. good price 20pounds for 2 meals 2 beers and 2 lemonades. had a great night really enjoyed and would defo recommend.

• Visited September 2012