“Better Than Expected, Fantastic View” 4 of 5 stars

Les Maisons De La Mer
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Port El Kantaoui 4098, Tunisia   |
Ranked #23 of 37 hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Better Than Expected, Fantastic View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I stayed here with my Husband in December 2011 for two weeks. I was very apprehensive after having booked this apartment self catering as I read a few other reviews which weren't great. However I was pleasantly surprised. We arrived at the apartment reception early afternoon. The check-in was average. We did have to pay £40 (or 80TD) deposit (in either currency) for the key (or any damages). I was not aware of this so was not too pleased at having to pull out that money to begin with as obviously we had this money aside for food and meals. We were taken to our apartment on a golf car and it was a few minutes from reception. Our apartment was on 2nd floor (which I had requested for security reasons of being able to leave windows and balcony doors open with peace of mind). There is no lift (which I didn't expect being an apartment).

When we entered it I was shocked at how different it was compared to what people had written and pictures I had seen on the internet. We had booked 1 bedroom apartment for extra space and I didn't fancy sleeping in the same room we cook in. The apartment would accommodate 5 persons (1 separate double bedroom) and 3 single beds in the lounge area. There were petals on all the beds and dining table when we arrived which was a nice welcoming touch. The lounge does not have a sofa however if there are less than 5 persons staying there then you can obviously use the single beds as a sofa as we did. We had selected the option for sea view when booking. We were actually given harbour view which couldn't be better! I just wish i could remember the apartment number as I would without a doubt recommend this particular apartment if you are considering staying here. We had such a beautiful view and best location in PEK! All the apartment windows and the very large balcony (more like terrace) are on the front of the apartment, so each shared the magnificent view across the harbour, bars and restaurants. Below our apartment was a pavement cafe serving a wide variety of ice creams, food (I think for example a pizza was 6TD).
The bathroom was large, however the water from the shower was a bit hit and miss was did become irritating.
The apartment was cleaned everyday, towels changed every 2 days and bedding changed every week.
The apartment is not equipped with a TV, although you can hire one from reception for 5TD per day (we didn't, as we brought laptop to watch movies).
We were given a gift bag with bottle of wine for Christmas which was a lovely gesture.

Kitchenette
Small and basic but not impossible to cook a meal, we managed to! There is an electric hob, extractor fan, a fridge with small freezer compartment, sink and draining board. There is a frying pan, two pans, set of large plates, small plates, cups, saucers, glasses, cutlery, and two sharp knives. The only things it really lacked were chopping board and spatula. There is a arched serving area which is tiled and this is the only space to prepare food.

Out and About
There are a couple of supermarkets each about 3/4 min walk, the prices of food in Tunisia is more expensive than what I had imagined as I have previously just stayed in hotels here. Only one of the supermarkets here sells meat / poultry(Chicken), any other meat you do need to go to a larger supermarket a 7 min taxi ride away, where you will find a selection of meat / poultry and fish. For example we bought 200g mince steak 3.5 TD (£1.40).
There is an Irish bar called 'Puca Irish Bar' in PEK about 6 min walk from our apartment. We drank in here on a couple of occasions is very large so you will always get a seat, however it did not serve Guinness / Murphy's or any type of cider so not too sure what was Irish about it other than the name. Pint of Celtia 6 TD (£3.00).

We would not stay here again, as thought it would be a change from a hotel to have our own space, but in future we will be sticking to All Inclusive hotels, as they do work out to be much cheaper.

If you are looking to stay in self catering I would recommend Les Maison De La Mer and I would suggest the view we had over looking the harbour.

Any questions please contact me.

Room Tip: Request harbour view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011 via mobile

Stayed here as a family of 4 lovely appartmemts our view was looking over the harbour and beach was 2 min walk , shop resturants all close just love it there 4 th time now whatever anyone says you get great value for money enjoy

• Stayed December 2010
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

We stayed for a week in September. We hired two apartments on the complex and after reading some of the reviews on here I was a little worried. I found there was absolutely no need. Although the apartments are a little dated they are clean and perfectly serviceable.
Housekeeping popped by every day and made the beds up and changed the towels every other day. The staff at the front desk where not the warmest but I think thats partly to do with the lanugage issue. All the other staff we met were friendly and very helpful. The pool was being demolished during our stay and there were signs of renovation and redevelopment to some areas of the complex.
The kitchen is very basically equipped and there were a few items missing that would have been useful so dont expect to be able to cook a three course meal in there without some compromise. The bathroom was clean if a little ragged around the edges and the shower gave lots of hot water.

We had a wonderful time in PEK and I'm booked back for a further two weeks at Maison De La Mer in December with my Fiance. Its not a five star hotel but its fantastic for the money. I've got two weeks in a seaview apartment for £200.00 and if budget is key to your travel and you dont mind a little outdated decor then this is the perfect place to stay for you! PEK is a wonderful place to visit and relax and the marina is gorgeous.
The Irish Bar and their adoration for all things karaoke is a must and a cup of coffee and shisha in the evening to relax ,in one of the many coffee bars and restuarants, is key to the enjoyment and soaking up the locals way of life.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

We stayed in a self contained apartment here (on B7B terms) and must say, in 10 visits to Tunisia, this was the best apartment we have ever stayed in PEK - and the best value too. We were given an apartment above the 'Big Supermarket' so were close to most of the facilities that PEK has to offer. Our room was cleaned daily, the electricity and water worked perfectly and we really could not have asked for more for a self catering holiday. We were slightly suprised to have to pay to hire a tv but that was our only criticism at all (and this was very cheap anyway). They had free 24 hour security car parking, friendly staff in the reception and the breakfast at 'Les Glacier' was OK. We were suprised to read afterwards that there were swimming pools here as we never saw these or had it mentioned to us but being so close to the beach, we weren't that bothered. Being an avid football fan, the Irish pub was just around the corner and met most of our recreational requirements too.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
berkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

THE NEGATIVES-We booked les maisons at short notice and on a budget after reading lots of different reviews of which some were good some bad, unfortunately the bad reviews of these apartments seem to be more accurate, the room was dirty and run down, on entering we were greeted by the 2nd matress propped against the wall(see pic) , the kitchen cuboards were bare, there was no kettle and only two saucepans one had no handle. The hob did work but had a family of ants living behind it- and they are big ants! the fridge worked and was clean, there were only two glasses one was on the table with a dead bug under it, we bought them some more! the bathroom again was dirty with mould and rust round the bath, chipped wall tiles and plaster, the bed had dirty sheets but having read previous reviews we took our own.
THE PLUSES- We had a minute stroll to the beach which was lovely , white sand and warm sea, the pool was also nice, the marina and square were also a short stroll and perfect for relaxing having something to eat, a cold beer and watching the world go by.
Port el kantaoiu was great, lovely weather and the people are friendly, but would recommend staying room only/b and b in one of the many hotels for just a little more cleanliness and comfort at a fraction more of the price.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

The hotel was booked with the fact in mind that this was a 3 * self-catering hotel. I am assuming that it was awarded the 3* award in 1988, which they proudly show on display in the reception area. Unfortunately, this hotel is very old, and requires urgent repairs.

On arrival to our hotel, the concierge who registered us greeted us and we were then shown to the apartment. The abrupt porter opened the door put on the light and then left.
After we put our bags down, we looked around the dim apartment. To our horror, the apartment was a disgusting state. The bathroom looked like it had not been cleaned; to the extent that there was grime all over the shredded shower curtains. The bath was dirty too, with stains from previous guests, as well as the drain being blocked with hair. The towels were also stained and dirty.
The bedroom floor was dirty and the beds had grease stains on it. There were numerous stains of squashed insects on the wall. The kitchen area was also dirty and greasy.

As soon as we saw this, we left our room to go back to reception. Once in reception we spoke to the night receptionist who shrugged and asked us what did we want him to do. We asked to be moved and he then shrugged his shoulders again and said simply 'we are fully booked'. At this point we were really distressed and I told him that there was no way I would be able to use that apartment to wash myself, let alone cook there. He then tried to change the subject by telling us if we wanted a TV in the room we would have to pay 35 Dinar for the week. At this point I told him even though the TV was listed as complimentary in the room, it would not make the room any cleaner.
Another receptionist came out and the two started conversing in front of us in Arabic, totally ignoring us for a few minutes whilst we were still at the desk. When I then said 'hello?', they then looked at us and said 'there is nothing we can do' - basically meaning that the conversation was finished and we should get back to our rooms.

When we got back to our room we slept in our clothes we had arrived in and resolved to go down early in the morning to see if people were departing, in the hope that we could get a decent room.
We awoke at 8am, without a wash in that sub standard room to go the reception area where the person working in reservations. The person that was supposed to start at 9.30 did not get there until 10.30 and again was just as unhelpful.
The hotel later on tried to move us to a room that was even more disgusting than the first and tried to sell it to us with the fact that it was a 'port view' room. In all honesty, a view of the port or sea does not make a room any cleaner; I would have rather had a view of a brick wall and a clean room. Because of this, we were forced to shower in our bathing suits at the pool showers, which as you can imagine was very embarrassing.
The hotel managed to move us to a third substandard room to another, with again the same issues, a dirty apartment that lacked any type of cleaning. We decided that we would have to eat out and use only the fridge for drinks, due to the dirty kitchen area and cockroaches in the apartment. The fridge stopped working and we had to use another phone to call reception - as the phone in the room was not working. We called reception and they said someone would deal with it. 30 minutes later someone came and saw to the fridge. He then went out and did not say when he would be returning. We left the apartment to go and get something to eat. By the time we had come back the fridge was in working order, which we were grateful for.
The following morning, we went out for breakfast and came back to find that a new fridge had been left in the apartment unplugged, whilst the old one that had been repaired was still working and still in the apartment. Also, things had been moved about in the bathroom and bedroom, which we found very strange, as no room service had been done. After checking our belongings, we discovered that someone had opened a bag and taken £20 and 20 Dinar. We immediately went to reception to report this and the receptionist asked how much was stolen. When we told him the amount, he shrugged his shoulders and said 'this is a small amount', I responded that it was not about the amount, but about the principle that someone had seen fit to go into a bag and steal. He said that maintenance had gone into the room to put the new fridge in and I asked him why a new fridge was put in when the old one had been repaired the night before. This did not make any sense and lacked any logical type of understanding. The receptionist did not care that money had been stolen and did nothing to try and sort out this problem.
On the Tuesday we were there, after dinner, we went to the reception to book a taxi to take us to Carthage Airport. This was agreed and we were told the price would be 120 Dinars.
Later on in the evening, we received a phone call from reception demanding that the price would be 150 Dinars and that we should come and leave a deposit. We found this very strange and confusing and asked why would we cancel a taxi, as we would be leaving to catch a flight. In the end the receptionist agreed that a deposit was not required and that the taxi will be ready on Friday at 9.30am.
We confirmed this on Thursday night and the receptionist looked in the book and said it was booked and will be arriving at 9.30am.
On Friday morning, we called reception to pick up our luggage (still from another phone as the apartment one was still not working). The porter came and collected the bags, whilst we walked to reception. We got to reception at 9.20 and waited 15 minutes before we asked the receptionist what time we could expect the taxi, as we really did not want to get to the airport later than we had planned. The receptionist told us that it would arrive in 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes we went up to the receptionist and asked him about the taxi and he got on the phone and started making phone calls. 5 minutes later he asked us if we still wanted a taxi!!
By this time we were fuming, as it was very clear that a taxi had not been booked at all, I was so disgusted I decided to try and find a taxi on the main road. After unsuccessfully trying, we returned to the hotel and were told that a cab was on its way. I then saw a complaints book and decided to write in the book. By the time I had reached into my bag to get a pen, the complaints book had been removed from the front desk!
When I asked for it a female receptionist told me that I could not have it. I asked her why and she moved to her colleague and started to speak to him in Arabic. When she returned and I asked her again, she said that I should speak to the manager. I then asked him and he gave me excuses about somebody in the back office looking and it. I continued to ask for it and was told 'no' more than once. I continued to ask him until the taxi arrived and he then proceeded to tell me to get in my taxi and continued to be reluctant to get the complaints book.
This holiday was my worst ever and I would not recommend this hotel to anybody at all!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dirty rooms, rude thieving staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Les Maisons De La Mer? Share your experiences!