“Great place. Nothing to whine about if you aren't spoiled.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Mouradi Skanes

You added El Mouradi Skanes to your Saves list
El Mouradi Skanes
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   | Zone Touristique Skanes, Monastir 5000, Tunisia   |
Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in Monastir
Poland
“Great place. Nothing to whine about if you aren't spoiled.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Just got back from there. I read the reviews before and i must say I was a bit worried. Turned out to be a really nice place, great staff, friendly and helpful, especially the waiters. Rooms are bright and clean. Highly recommend this place if you are not spoiled ignorant.

As for ridiculous claims of some - really, you complain about one soap for 4 people?? Yes, there is one soap for 4 people, you won't use it anyway, can't you share? At the same time you ignore the fact that your bathroom was fully -FULLY, including the tiles on the walls - cleaned each day, as was your room. Each apartment also has shower gel and shampoo in small bottles as you get in.
Yes it happens that juice containers are empty (thank you to people who take 3 glasses per head, gg) but I never waited longer than 5 minutes for replacement. In the meantime i was getting my food. And yes, it also happened that plates with food were empty - what do you expect from freshly prepared food? Empty plates were replaced in no time with new, fresh food.
There was a grill/frying station and yes, there were lines to it sometimes. Because the cook asks you how you want your meal. It is not production line, it is custom meal and tbh I didn't mind waiting since i had my food exactly how i wanted. As for too spicy - no, it wasn't too spicy. unless you chose the spices yourself. And all those whining about it - really? With that many options to choose from, you still didn't find anything? Spoiled much? True, they didn't serve caviar. shesh!
Just to make it clear - the food there was delicious. Lots to choose from, always fresh, simply great. The variety of the food to choose from was stunning. Aslo delicious fruits and cakes. But yeah, you will have a bad time if you wait for caviar and fresh salmon.
Coffee, tea and milk was served from huge thermoses, always warm, always available, and a coffee maniac like me had not only good time drinking their coffee, but I also never got faced with empty thermos.
The satellite has channels from many countries, won't say how many as i didn't go there to watch TV, but I suggest learning languages to those that complain it was only French and German TV available. It was more.
For those whining about the smell of the sand - please look at the map, thank you. The hotel is in a bay. Yes, you will see trash on the beach but it is due to flow of water and laws of physics. The beach is being cleaned each morning. Water is warm and clean. The algae that is supposedly all around is in fact sea grass carried out on the beach with the flow of water. Again, it is a bay. It's not algae. The bottom of the sea is clear, just sand there. water is see-through, i was chasing the fishies there. And I have not seen a single jelly fish there. Trust me, i would love to as a person who works in aquaculture. Plus you really have to look for the smelly sand. The sand on the beach does not stink.
Animation was great, in few languages (yes, English was 2nd - 3rd language used at welcome, but all activities were in English) depending on what groups were in hotel. And the main person responsible for evening animation always addressed EVERY nationality that was in the hotel each evening at the beginning of the show. For those that claim staff was not speaking perfect English - you do realize this is not GB? They speak very good English and making fun of their accents does not help you in being seen as a pain. It's Tunisia, former french territory, they won't speak Cockney! Which doesn't change the fact they do communicate really well. They also speak more than one foreign language (here is my question for whining Brits - how many foreign languages do you know?). they obviously speak Arabic and French plus English but many members of the crew also speak fluent Russian, German and even Polish. Say what you want, but I find it amazing they take the time to learn basic words in my language to say thank you, to welcome me or ask how I am.
To summ it up: staff was great, really friendly and helpful, unless you were an a* to them. I have seen people treating the staff like slaves.
Yes, the hotel did see better years. Furniture in the lobby was damaged in some parts, but I have seen what people do on those furniture and i stopped complaining. If you put a cigarette on a leather armchair, don't complain about holes in it after.
I am definitely coming back. Great staff, really nice accommodation, only minus is the geographical location of the hotel (in a bay) and hence the effect of basic laws of nature as water flows. Great and fresh food. Great variety of drinks. The timetables of what is available when (breakfast, lunch, coffee, etc) left little to no time uncovered. You could always get coffee or juice/water/cola at any time of the day. Everything is clean or cleaned on daily basis and the only real problem for me were some people acting like they own the place. Respect the staff and other people in the hotel and half of your problems will vanish.

Sorry for the tone of this review, but I got pissed after the holidays. I was reading reviews before and I was close to cancelling the trip which would be the biggest mistake of those holidays. I was afraid of going to a place, that turned out to be great. I guess some people would whine in Ritz.

Room Tip: Rooms in main building are closer to restaurant. Rooms with sea view can be loud until 11pm.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Zrenjanin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I do not recommend this hotel ! Accommodation Accommodation is as good pools are clean, excellent animation team provides great entertainment throughout the day and evening, And that's all the good. The staff is half a cultured people, but most are rude or impolite , we experienced the rude waiter pushed us a hand when we pour the juice or beer that they must first fill the glass - rudely, besides container juices on tap will be often empty and must be again wait a long time to make it full . Food is average, is the most Arabic cuisine which is the default (but too spicy ) , the problem is that you with better food always find an empty bowl and wait for it to eat up to 20 minutes in lines that are long and up to 20 meters , then fill a bottom of the pot, that keep only 2 minutes and then again waiting - HORRIBLE . For breakfast we usually have a toaster but no toast bread etc. . There is a snack bar next to the main pool and serves only pizza dough ketchup and cheese , which is not bad but endlessly waiting in line which makes you upset. Coffee and milk in the pool bar poured from thermos which is very bad and often and be cold or mild. The room for the four of us we got a one hotel soap, when we left a tip we got another one and small shampoo but for the one day - what to say. The satellite TV has about 15 channels and they are all in German or French. Sea is ever blurred, and if you take the sand and smell of the sea you will feel the smell of the mud for what is likely cause the discharge of waste power plant into the sea. In addition, the sea is always full of jellyfish that are not too dangerous but they know well lit up and the grass and trash which is near the coast . Four hotels in the area are closed, even the first to the hotel and in front of the beach is a huge pile of garbage you further says that there is not nearly as good and beautiful as it should to be. WE ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT return even close to this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My partner and I (21 and 23) found this hotel through a discount website, and after reading so many negative reviews, we were both a bit nervous beforehand. However, as soon as the coach pulled up to the gates and drove up to the hotel's reception - situated well away from the road - our fears were completely gone! The whole hotel was spotless throughout our week long stay, especially the bedrooms and pool area, and the staff were extremely friendly to us and very welcoming - we didn't feel they were pushing for tips at all!! In fact they were extremely humble when we did tip them, even though it was only around 50p each time! As for people moaning about the bar furniture, there were only a few minor scratches on a few seats, it wasn't exactly the end of the world, plus we both found them very comfortable (and clean). Also, if you want to go on holiday to be surrounded by English people only, how about stay in England, or go to Benidorm?! We both found the food to be very varied, whether it be breakfast, lunch, or dinner; with a selection of cereals, croissants, etc. for breakfast, and a wide range of cooked meals for lunch and dinner (e.g. freshly-made pizza, pasta, Tunisian specialities..). Additionally, the waiters were very friendly and always saved us a table and brought us drinks :) We found that the pool area was never too crowded, especially inside the actual pool itself, and there were loads of sun loungers unused. Even though there is an extra charge for the lounger cushions, we found just laying on our towels perfectly comfortable. The night time entertainment had a mixture of English, French, German and Tunisian events and I personally thought this made it really interesting! There are also people who work for the hotel who sell tickets to such excursions as camel riding, etc. which you can easily haggle with them to get the price down... the excursions were amazing and really unique experiences. In other words, I would DEFINITELY recommend this beautiful hotel, and we are already planning to go back. One thing we learned for next time though, is that the hotel's exchange rate isn't as good as the shopping centre round the corner from the hotel :P

Room Tip: All rooms have balconies, however the side of the hotel opposite the sea-view side felt more private...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hartlepool, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Only good thing about this hotel is the pools. The food is awful and not very edabel, its slops most of the time and recycled from lunch to dinner and then for breakfast. One day we came down to cabbage and cauliflower for breakfast. YUK. The hotel is full of eastern Europeans who push in the dining hall and barge you out of the way, the entertainment is hardly ever in English and not worth bothering with, the staff are rude surly and arrogant if your not constantly tipping them, the drinks are only at certain times and you have to pay for the poolside cushions, tv remote, towels for the pool and an extra daily charge aswell for the safety deposit box. I complained several times at reception only to be ignored or the staff pretending they could not understand me. the furniture in the bars is ripped, cracked and filling coming out, like some 1950s
holiday camp........PLEASE DO NOT GO THERE....SAVE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY AND GO ELSEWHERE......ALSO NEXT DOOR TO A POWER STATION!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: don't go there
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We just got back from here on Sunday. We stayed for 1 week and actually went here on. Our honeymoon!
After being delayed 5 hours on our way out from England, we was obviously very agitated and tired once we arrived at 5am in the morning. Upon arrival the hotel looked grand with it being gated and people manning the gates, pulling up to the big marble steps outside, then walking into the large lobby looking onto a upper and lower bar, then onto the pool and sea!
We stood around for a few minutes only to realise that the night receptionist was in fact asleep in the lobby snoring his head off in one of the armchairs, we just laughed and dropped one of our suitcases on the floor a bit louder and he soon stood to attention! He checked us in quickly and gave us a bottle of water and said 'you go sleep, breakfast 6-10' so off we went!
Upon Arriving at our room (108) we was stood in front of a wooden barn like door, old fashioned handles and numbers, as we opened the door we were pleasantly surprised of how big our room was! Firstly the separate toilet just inside the door, then onto the bathroom then the beds and onto the doors into the balcony! The wardrobes were also large, the whole room was dated but yet immaculate!
After a few hours sleep we went down for breakfast we didn't struggle to find anything to eat there was plenty of variety, with eggs, fruit, cereal, bread, toast, pancakes, but not much meat!
We then went out to the pool , we decided the first pool wasn't for us with the music and games constantly playing, we wanted a bit more of a chill so we found the second pool was more for us!
The beds were not too uncomfortable without the pads but at 2 dinar they was cheap, the pool was clean and lovely and warm! The pool bar was slow and sometimes gave you the wrong drinks, I think mainly cause we didn't tip them to bring it to our beds! There was very few if any English when we arrived and this continued over the week. A lot of Germans, Russians, French, Italians none obviously able to say much more than hello if that to us.
We found they was very very rude when it came to the evening meal, all just going it for themselves and pushing in queues, and shoving you out of the way. By the end of our week we was so fed up of this we dreaded going down! Also the food it got progressively worse we got to the point where we was just eating cheese rolls, as it all looked like slop, chicken tasted nothing like chicken and everything was repeated over the week. Our waiter Abdul was amazing. He worked flat out so hard, compared to any others! We actually tipped him 50 dinar throughout our week, which we then found out was not far off his weeks wage! We also spent one evening in the a' la carte restaurant and we didn't know what we was getting but it was fish soup, with some kind of fried omelet to follow, then followed by a full fish, head and eye and everything with a few chips, at this point I decided I would give that a miss, but my partner ate it and said it was the best meal of the week!
And for currency we changed £50 up on arrival and that got us 124 dinar, so it shows how poor their currency is! I would recommend changing only what you need daily as its hard to get it changed back, and you couldn't use it anywhere in Tunis airport or on the plane!
Then finally onto the evening entertainment, it was aimed more a families until 9pm then the 'adult' entertainment started, it was basic, we had children guests from the hotel dancing one night, karaoke, a guy walking on nails and knifes, and the best night was our last, the Russian dancers they rely did out on a show and it was the busiest I had seen the pool area in the evening!
The drinks were limited only a certain selection were included in your all inclusive deal, hardly any spirits, just beer, wine, and a few cocktails they had made into a slush puppy like machine!
Overall the weather was amazing, the hotel itself was also good and very very clean, the food to us was below average and the staff apart from Abdul were actually quite rude and abrupt to us! I personally would not go back, and I would go as at to say I would t go back to tunisia as it wasn't for us !

• Stayed August 2013
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed between the 6th-13th of July 2013 & booked with sunshine Holidays. The hotel is huge but dated. Rooms are old fashioned with lots of chintz and old carpets but cleaned impeccably every day by the lovely maids. Rooms are very big also so u won't be tripping over each other. We had an incident with the rooms involving air-con not working, cockroach and my party of 6 split up when we asked for rooms together. But after talking to the rep from sunshine holidays we were given a fruit basket and wine to all the new rooms!
Food is basic and boring and certain 'patrons' don't know how to queue or take only what's needed! I was sick of seeing plates left on the tables full of wasted food!!! The pool bar which serves snacks from 2-4 served pizza & chips but they only cooked 1 pizza at a time which sometimes meant queuing for 30 mins. After three days the 'chip' chef wasn't working & for some reason they stopped doing them... Like no one else could cook them?!?
You don't have a hope in hell of getting a lounger by the main pool unless u get up at 5am! We always got beds by the 2nd pool but you will need lounger mattresses as the are hard metal beds. You can rent them for 2dinars a day.
Entertainment is typical AI stuff nothing to write home about. The entertainment manager and Malik are stars and took us into sousse to the clubs. We went to Living / Banana / vanilla combo which are bars in one big club. Bora bora was shut. We also went to safari disco/bar which is 5 mins up the road from the hotel but it was the 1st night of Ramadan so they didn't serve alcohol and it was v.quiet.
Wifi in the lobby takes ages to connect we literally walked around the lobby to find the strongest signal which still took ages to connect.
If you get a bargain then u can't complain but certainly wouldn't pay over £400 for a week AI here!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ljubljana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

THe hotel is OK, nothing special, basic rooms, wi-fi in the main lobby (but you really need to wait for an hour or so to get connected, because there are so many people in the main season. The food is quite repetitive, and tastes more or less the same. After a week, you have enough of that food. The beach is sandy, but there is not much room to swim, because everywhere around are ropes, and after that ropes there are already water scooters. The water is really low...just few meters near the ropes is a little deeper, so you can actually swim. The pool is OK. Drinks are All included in small cups, but you have to pay for 1,5liter of water in a bottle. The location of hotel is near SOUSSE and MONASTIR,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to El Mouradi Skanes? Share your experiences!