“Take no notice!! I had a lovely relaxing holiday!!” 4 of 5 stars

Club Calimera Rosa Rivage
Zone Touristique Dhkila | Skanes, Monastir 5065, Tunisia   |
Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Monastir
Cannock, United Kingdom
“Take no notice!! I had a lovely relaxing holiday!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I've not long come back from a Lovely relaxing holiday at this hotel with my mom.

I was very worried after reading some of these reviews for my holiday but...... I had nothing to worry about!! I think some people on here expect way too much and forget they are traveling to a poorer country then our owns tho in the hotel you would never know this!! Yes it may not be a 5* hotel but you would know this when booking. And if you do not like to try new/different foods then an all inclusive holiday abroad is not for you.... I'd stick to Devon and burger & chips if I was you!!

The hotel was very clean & tidy, people cleaning all day long!! Rooms where cleaned & towels changed daily!! The rooms where very roomy & comfy!! The staff were very friendly and always spoke to you when passing!! They were very helpful & caring (And not just for tips either!!) There was plenty of food & choice (alot more then I've had at an all inclusive before!!) Food freshly cook infront of you at every meal time!! You can eat & drink here 24/7....... you would never go hungry!! Breakfast 7am -10am, Late Breakfast 10am -12.30pm, Lunch 12.30pm - 2.30pm, Afternoon Snacks 2.30pm - 6.30pm, Tea 6.30pm - 9pm, Bar Snacks 9pm - 8am

We were 2 females on our own and we didn't have to worry about any hassle off the men at this hotel or rude comments etc. So I do not know if people on here were actually at the same hotel as us!!

There was entertainment on very night..... May not have been the best every night but we still enjoyed it and we had meet people/friends so would sit & have a drink with them anyway!!

There were activities in the day for adults & kids & a mini (kids) disco every night, which they seem to enjoy!!

The Thompson rep Julie..... She was nice enough but we did not see much of her all week!! And at her Welcome Meeting she wasn't very helpful regarding Tunisia, the area and helpful tips for your stay!! She did like to talk more about herself and where she has been and what she has done!! And the helpful tip about if you have to go in a taxi anywhere look as if you know where you are going otherwise they will take you to there families shops..... How can you do that when you've never been there before!! And her answer to Pick Pockets was put bits of money in different pockets so at least you have your taxi fair home!! But this does not happen in the hotel anyway so.....!! Outside of the hotel may be a different story but trust me you do not have to leave the hotel..... Everything you need is on site i.e a shop that sells everything, market once a week, food, drink, sports, beach, watersports, spa, gym.

The only problem we had.... And it's not the hotels fault!! It was advice given to us by our local Thompson rep when booking our holiday!! She advised us as Tunisia is a closed currency you can not change your money before you so sold us Thompson Travel Cards with GBP Sterling on them and told us we could use these to change money or buy things!! But she failed to mention that the hotel did not have a card machine (and not any do as they get charged for card transactions) and the only ATM machine to draw cash out was a 10 min ride away in a taxi and after Julie's comments me & my mom where not going on our own in a taxi in Tunisia!! So we did not have any spending money which to be honest we didn't need and we lasted the whole week on the £40 cash I had in my purse which we changed at the hotel reception!! And we even had massages in the spa (very nice!!) with this as everything is very cheap!!

So my only tips for you is take cash with you and change it at the hotel & just take £20 in pound coins for tipping!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My holiday had a bad start before I even let the uk so I was unsure about going on own, im pleasd Idid. Julie the thompson rep made me feel very welcome.she spent so much time with making my stay enjoyble.the animation team are friendly, speak so many different llanguages so they can communicate with al guest.yes there guests from all over Europe there, friendly enough.a few who moaned constantly to other brits, u make it what u want it to be.the food was no different to other hotels I have staye in tunisia and egypt.it was my birthday while I was there, was a fantastic time having guests sing to me, a meal and lovely cake.even staff members took time out to wish me happy birthday.met some great people out there who made my holiday worth while going.i wouldnt hesitate about going bck with my children, the room was cleane each day, spacious, comfy bed, large bathroom, julie you made my holiday and I truley thank you.

Room Tip: Rooms arent by pool, short walk and ur there
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Augs one week stay 11th till 19th 2013 if you dont want to read all of my review take from us this place is not fit for purpose it is a fly infested dump. Avoid this place totally.

Arrived at four in the morning and got a welcome drink,, nice, taken to the room tip to the bellboy that was where the enjoyment stopped, the room was a dive, but after seeing other rooms later on it was better than some, toilet seat broken, no towels, no toilet paper, marks whichlooked like phoo turned out to be burn marks from cutting metal postson the floor, oh yes the room was filthy.
The full week was spent fighting to get towels toilet paper and the room cleaned.

The place was full with russians and forgein people very few brits not that was an issue for us but the brit freinds we met had kids and none of the kids parties etc could speak english.
The food was vilie and made infront of you by cooks with overals that car mechanics have worn but with the added sweat of the wearer, ohyes and the cooks use their hands on your food, but thats ok because as you sit and try and eat the flies land all over it.

Staff are either really nice or not but the sweat stained clothes really put you off and our rep was more bothered about her boyfreind the crap dj of the place than her residents, the manager omg this guy couldnt run his nose never mind a hotel but was very good at running his mouth off to the guest forgein and british.

Others lovely things, powercut twice in one week, toilets blocked three times and phoo, yeap phoo running out the ladies toilet, two cockrotchets running out the mens toilet probably tring to get out of the place, jellifish stings screams from the beach, the smell from the sewars is well you canimagine. I could go on but had enough of bad memories.

Best thing about this hotel was leaving it ,,, its the pits,, and shouldnt be on any travel agents list

Nb please note we stayed in HAmmamet earlier this yr and the hotel and the staff and people were brilliant hence the return visit

Room Tip: In this hotel thereis none
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My second day here in this hell hole I want out and no one will help us I really do not want to be here but we are stuck herefood is horrible room was very dirty when we arrive first night baby's dirty nappie in the room toilet seat Broken we havnt felt comfortable here at all since we arrived its really only for the Germans and Russian and all others in that country not for the Brits that's for sure the Brits are really not welcome here. I have asked our rep to get us out of here but she keeps on telling us all hotels are full I will keep on trying though can not spend the rest of our holiday here another 12 days NO WAYany births read this pls pls pls change minds do not come here as I said we are here right at this moment as I write this do not come here go some where else as u will waste ur money it's so horrible here other Brits want out tobut are told the same thing as we are getting told.Can not even have some tea as they said no hot water as it put all the electric of what an excuse if I ever heared one and must give tips if want a reserved table in the dinning room or any where as for that matter so u have paid all this money for ur holiday here for all inclusive so I do take it that u have paid for the staff I really do not mind to paid tips but not when u have to get ur own knife and forks spoons and other thing ur self that's bait much I think anyway so the drink are terrible all watered down but the wine is alright the beer my hubby said u just get a lot of wind with it that's about itso if u come here do not expect to get a buzz from the drinks here and as for the rooms u will get a bad room not the one u have asked for u will have to pay extra for that one it's all robbery so if u come here don't say u have not been well warned pls look for another hotel do not listen to the rep as she told us it was fab huh

Room Tip: No any rooms at or near the pool so do not ask for it and wifi very poor some u have not always
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

first day we had a tropical storm and oh my thought it was turning into a hurricane but it lasted about a hour and then it brought an amazing light show of lighting in the evening.the bars were excellent allinclusive drinks were abit watered down but stick with the wine and you wont go far wrong.the food was very good especially the freshly hung and cooked tuna (fiencee thought it was a mackrel as tuna doesnt look that big on the tins in england hehehe bless)after explaining its just a picture and reminding her of the size of the mackrel back home she tried it and loved it!i would say keep an eye on your young girls out there as they will prey on them like vultures from ages of about 10 upwards!an awsome tip i could give is always haggle the silver bangles they try and sell in the hotel are about 5 dinar in the markets in souse(good guideline) they have local lads that offer to take you around souse for a price (10 dinar) to get a bargain they dont they rush you through and take you to their friends shops and then rip you off with the price (theyre on commission) a swedish couple foolishly paid 125 dinar for 3 scarves and an extra 100 dinar for a real"golden" bracelet golden being the primary word it was plastic luckily they saw me haggle for the shisha pipe i wanted and saw me knock the price down from 355 dinar to 55 dinar with free coals tongs and tobacco or the tour guide would of ripped them off with that aswell (shisha pipes around souse town can be brought from around 15 dinar just plastic ones metal from around 30-60dinar).we were there in oct 2012 and missed the festival of the lamb by a week which was abit gutting as theyre very religious people.the hotel yes sorry alot of germans when we were there some very very rude and ignorant some very friendly the brits were well behaved for a change and one german was trying to get other germans to go against me and antagonise me into a fight (i wasnt interested i was on holiday) they followed suit untill he left mid week after that they were all smiles and here have a drink my friend have a drink.the bar staff were very friendly and some could speak 7 languages which is amazing.the chefs were brilliant nothing was to much effort we made good friends with mario a chef and anus the bar man and still have kept in contact till sept 2013.a let down was the spa i felt more like i was being raped then preparing to relax ... oh unless thats what they do to get people relaxing when washing your bits?and for 110 dinar a little pricey as there were cheaper better options outside the hotel.outside the holiday complex ewww it was like a cargo plane exploded and the bags were dropped ... everywhere litter everywhere they just dont care where they dump it too.the entertainment was aimed for the kids ...hey that was fine just hope they understand german the adults entertainment was mtv from 10-12 they did do 2 nights which was the tunisian nights and the fire breathing guys worth staying around for.like pretty much any holiday dont go with the reps they rip you off go independantly we done the pirate boat thing and saw the dolphins we done the camel trek and horse riding and that all came to 60 dinar each thats meal included veryvery good value as it works out to about £20.oh and if you tip the waiter of the evening say 2 dinar they are very very attentive as through the winter there is no tourism and they only survive on around 20 dinar a week.dont just visit souse visit the other places there is a nice town across from the salt lakes and things are valued for the locals see the price difference before going to souse

Room Tip: take bug spray the ants are mooohoosive
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
cheshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from this hotel this morning having spent a week here 1st -8th sept. In general hotel is good however after having to ask reception several times to fix air con room 417 (not good in 28+ degree heat) they NEVER fixed it...neither did they fix our hot water well it was lukewarm all the time during our stay, Bit disappointed about the night time entertainment if you can call it that !!! They had none on Tuesdays but might as well not of bothered any other time as some days they just had a screen showing rubbish they did have one nights good show which was a young lad doing stuff with bed of nails...Kids Disco didnt start till 8.30 till 9pm i thought this to be a bit late !
Reception manager a bit rude on our last day to my daughter when we asked if they had somewhere for us to shower as we had to leave our room at 12 midday they offered us late check out till 5pm for 60 dinars no good really when we weren't being picked up till 11pm.
In the end he just handed us a room key 227 which we were able to shower in it took us a good 20 mins to find room in the heat ohh that room had HOT water so this was the 1st hot shower I had all week didn't check air-con in there as couldn't find the remote lol
Food was nice and edible plenty of choice from chips pizza rice chickens lovely tunisian flat bread :)
However I am aware this is in Africa they did have many flies around restaurant area, a few fly sappers wouldn't go a miss in this area, to be totally honest I found this to be a bad problem as did other guests..
I went with my 21 year old daughter & 2 yr old grandson each time she went to the bar she was asked many many times to meet waiters/ bar staff even during meals they approached her asking to meet on beach, one man in the shop said he thought she was aged about 14 she don't look that young so it goes to show they just wanted to chat up young women....
I would go back to Tunisia but probably not to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed at Rosa Rivage for the last week with my family (all girls) and it has been the most stressful trip to date.
My room had no air con and the staff did nothing to help this, the cooking staff's overalls are filthy and look as though they have never been washed. The staff behave totally inappropriately towards all women. The beach was not great and the advertised watersports don't exist.
The food wasn't bad, but the evening entertainment was awful as were all of the drinks served at the hotel.
The hotel is in an area with nothing going on so we had to travel an hour everyday to Port El Kantoui.
The spa smells of dampness, the products are cheap and one particular staff member was very unprofessional and was getting cheap thrills out of massaging girls.
On our last day we had pay 20DT for a late check-out room, when we moved to the new room it hadn't been prepared - no bedding, no towels and the toilet and bathroom hadn't been cleaned since the last person had stayed there. When I complained it took them an hour to send a cleaner who only put sheets on the bed, after complaining for 2 hours I ended up having to get a cleaner out of another room myself to come and clean the room we had paid for.
When leaving, our coach to the airport was an hour late, as we began to worry we asked reception to call Thompson to find out where it was... They wouldn't even let us use the phone for this as "it cost money".
The men of Tunisia have no respect for women let alone tourists, I will never be returning to this country and would never in a million years recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Club Calimera Rosa Rivage? Share your experiences!