“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Seabel Rym Beach

Save Saved
You added Seabel Rym Beach to your Saves list
Seabel Rym Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   BP 155, Midoun, Djerba Island 4116, Tunisia   |
Ranked #4 of 43 hotels in Midoun
London
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We spent our holiday, this year, in the Seashell Rym beach hotel in Djerba. The hotel is located about 45 min from the airport by bus and is conveniently built at a seaside lagune. The hotel comes with a private, sandy beach and has a beach bar.
We took an all inclusive package, which meant plenty of food and drinks a day. I can highly recommend their pastis as an appetizer drink. But be careful, it goes to your head in the heat!

Rooms: the room we stayed in was quite plain. On the first day, it wasn't clean! So after a quick word with housekeeping, this matter was solved. Another problem arose, when entering the room for the first time. As I was travelling with a baby, I needed a cotbed (as requested by the travel agent). But unfortunately there was none! We arrived at 3 am and they couldn't get a cotbed out of the housekeeping department, due to not having the keys. This was ofcourse a nuissance, because it meant my baby had to sleep with me that night.
The room lacks certain amenities, such as a safe and a hairdryer. But I was pleasantly surprised by the little terrace we had. It wasn't big, but certainly sufficient to sit with a glass of wine!
There is also a tv in the room. But don't bother watching it, if you don't speak French, Arabic or Italian. They have no satellite!
There is a wifi connection in the hotel. Which is the case for the reception area. But it doesn't extend into the rooms or poolarea. The connection costs about 15 euros for the duration of your stay! But as it doesn't work in the room, it really is a waste of money!

Food and drinks: the all inclusive package means you get breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner, as well as non alcoholic and certain alcoholic drinks for free. Breakfast is really lovely and rather on the continental side. With croissants, pain au chocolat and different kinds of bread and condiments. The coffee is a real hair riser in the morning. One of the chefs also presses fresh orange juice! Very nice to start your day. Lunch and dinner see different dishes every day. But a main complaint, which is heard through the hotel, is the fact everything is rather bland and the same. I also agree with this. You always get fish, meat, potatoes, soup. But from one day to another it really is the same thing. Nothing is spiced up or seasoned. Or even varied! I must admit, I did really enjoyed the grilled sardines for lunch one day. Most of the grilled things are excellent. As well as their potato salad and dessert buffet.

Staff: there is a big difference between staff of reception, waitering, housekeeping and entertainment. The waitering staff lacks what the entertainment staff has too much. Perhaps the waiters are hearing impaired, because when asked a question, they grunt and go about their business. Or perhaps their French is not as good as hoped! The entertainment staff seems a bit high on something or the other. They talk in such a familiar way to you, as if you have been their best friend for all their lives. An attitude I don't care much about. Incredulously, they even come and sit at your table, to have lunch or dinner with you. I wonder if this hotel ever heard of personnel food in their own cafeteria?
The receptionists are kind and slightly hearing impaired when it comes to the English speaking community. Don't try to go into an argument with the night manager (see cotbed incident above), as he is only there to sit behind his desk and look important. He actually doesn't have keys to anything!
The housekeeping staff has really amazed me. They are friendly, helpful and hardworking. Granted, my room was not the cleanest of clean when I first got in. But it was quickly sorted the next day. The staff work with a smile on their face and are eager to do their best. To all accounts a great asset. Perhaps they should put those lovely ladies in the catering department, as it would brighten up the place a lot.
There is also a mini club, for children age 3 to 12. The ladies working there are very nice and gently with the children. They really do an effort to organise activities and let the kids have a good time. Kudos to them!

Hotel facilities: There are two pools in the hotel. A big one and a kiddie one. They are located rather far apart. The main swimming pool is lovely, although slightly on the cold side. I has a shallow end and a deep end. Be careful going into the water on the shallow end. There're stairs with unrounded edges. One lady I encountered actually cut her foot and it wasn't a pretty sight. the poolside area comes with a nice shady place, a bar and bar area and a little shop. Everything is clean and well looked after. There is a lifeguard at certain times, but his job to me is rather unclear. At times there were children playing in the pool and he was facing the opposite direction the entire time.
The hotel comes with its own, private beach and beach bar. From what I have heard, the bar there is also rather nice!
The hotel also provides a lot of entertainment. Like Aquagym, petanque, congadancing, regular dancing, ballroomdancing. The entertainment staff do like to tap out a jig! There are jetskis and one can go horseriding on the beach. In the evenings the music's volume is cranked up for yet again some dancing. However, when travelling with children, one should ask to have a room away from the noise. The music itself is ok, but it is the dj's voice down the mic, which is the real winner in keeping your children up. The music stops around 10 pm though. Which is long enough, as the dj has a direct hotline to the discomusic of the nineties. Think Mr. Alban, Celine Dion and even the entire repetoire of The Backstreet Boys etc....sing Halleluja!

Overall this hotel is good, if you want a lazy holiday and if you are not too fussed about food. You won't find gourmet meals or 5 star service here. But at least you are fed and are met with gorgeous sunshine everyday. My recommendations to the hotel would be the following. Fire your head chef and get someone in with knowledge. And give him a proper budget to work with. Send your reception team on a language course! Receptionist should really speak English! Get your entertainment staff some valium. And replace the waitering staff with people from the housekeeping. Guests are won over by smiling instead of grunting.

Room Tip: Ask a room far away from the bar area
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

1,172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

My fiance and I chose the Seabel hotel because of all the good reviews on trip advisor. However I have to think that the staff is padding Trip advisor reviews.

THIS HOTEL IS HORRIBLE, DO NOT GO HERE!!!!

We were supposed to spend 2 weeks here but ended up spending 40 minutes in total before moving to another hotel. On top of that--- they wanted to charge us 125 Euro for the entire night! The staff here is rude, unproffesional and simply uncaring. The hotel itself is large, extremely noisy, full of children screaming & running wild around the entire hotel, the rooms unimpressive.

We arrived amid the "Volcanic eruption" crisis. Everyone at the hotel was stuck. The staff exploited this situation by just being rude and lowering whatever quality had existed at this hotel.

We were given a room with a view of an empty dirt lot filled with garbage-wow that is what I want to see on my vacation!

Second, our rooms air conditioning system did not work. When we asked to change rooms or have it fixed the staff rudely replied that we didn't need to use the air conditioning. Our room was 30*C with the sun pouring directly into the room. When asking to change the room we told we have 800 guests if you want leave, go ahead and leave, try to get a hotel in Djerba. But imagine one buffet with 800 people!

Let me tell you, we found a great hotel, quiet, nice rooms, ocean view for half the price to the "SeaHell Hotel".

Cons
1) Rooms-hot, dingy, small, noisy, view of a vacant garbage lot for 125 Euro a night in Tunisia,,, I don't think so! -- (children running and screaming, doors slamming, neighbor's sneezing)
2) Staff--OMG!
3) Location-far far away from any activities and facilities---(quad bike tours, supermarket, nice restaurant)
4) Everyone at the hotel was stuck there due to the volcanic eruption. When we arrived everyone asked us what airports were open because they wanted to leave.

I would not recomend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
SeabelHotels, MANAGER at Seabel Rym Beach, responded to this review, April 23, 2010
Hello,

Our hotel was fully booked at that moment. We had 800 clients and so proud to welcome them.
The period reflects the Easter holidays and obviously we accomodate a lot of children. We own and Manage a Club with entertainment and a lot of recreational activities and not a classic hotel !!!
You arrive on Sunday 18th April meanwhile we had a huge number of clients that could not go back home because of flights disruptions due to Iceland's erupted volcano. Our staff and management Team was completely dedicated to our clients that do not know what to do during this exceptionnal circumstances and they were commited to accomodate them till we limp back to normalcy while other customers all around the world have spent nights in Airport...etc
Our staff was panic about that situation and we are happy that we succeed to keep all our clients in the hotel despite we were fully booked.
We were not able to provide you with another room as there was no departure due to Volcanic flight chaos and nor available rooms.
Geneva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2007

Lovely hotel with nice staff...although the waiters and cooks did try and flirt with us, which we graciously ignored and all was fine. No one speaks English, only French!

The Hotel was clean and and really nice as we had a superior room on the ground floor. We were in awe of the "Giant ants". They have long legs...

The sea was warm and absolutely gorgeous and in the morning but quite a bit of seaweed in the afternoon.

Only thing though (makes me laugh) you even have to haggle if you want to buy in the Hotel shop!!! Gets a bit tiring after a while.

The spa is great, the Jasmin Oriental massage a bliss! But carefull of hairdresser! My request for Chocolate Brown became Light Brown Copper and I wont even start on the haircut!!!! You have been warned!

Go its a nice break and the food is delicious and excellent for kids!

Stayed September 2007

Been to Seabel Rym Beach? Share your experiences!