“Some issues, but would definitely return!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Mouradi Djerba Menzel

Save Saved
You added El Mouradi Djerba Menzel to your Saves list
El Mouradi Djerba Menzel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   BP 163 - Midoun Djerba, Midoun, Djerba Island 4116, Tunisia   |
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Midoun
Cumbria
“Some issues, but would definitely return!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

4 of us, in 2 rooms came to this hotel in October 2012 for 2 weeks all inclusive. Overall, it was a really good holiday & we definitely want to come back at some point!

PROS
1) The animation team were great, especially Kiki at the Archery!
2) Although most of the other guests were German, French or Italian (the resort has only recently opened to the English), the animation team could speak a English very well & included English in their results (this is specifically for Archery, I can't really speak for much else.)
3) The measures at the bar were quite large, & not watered down!
4) The food was mostly good, although it does get repetitive. The desserts were delicious!
5) The snacks inbetween meals are tasty & readily available.
6) The entertainment at night is great - Mrs & Mr Djerba Menzel is hilarious, & the Cabaret night is very good!
7) Easily accessible market down the road & a museum/tour/crocodile park (a couple of dinar in a taxi from the hotel) are great!
8) Whether you like the pool or the beach, you have both on offer which are clean & look lovely.
9) The other holidaymakers (English or not) were all lovely! Some great friendly competition in the different activities.
10) Beautiful surroundings if you take a walk along the sea front - some great picture opportunities.
11) Lots of animals! I love cats, so I didn't mind there being cats. You're told not to feed the cats at the table (there is a designated cat feeding area out the front of the hotel) but many people do. There's also horses that come onto the hotel grounds before they go off on the rides.
12) The rooms were clean, the cleaners did their job very well & often made shapes/animals from our towels.

CONS
1) Apart from the Animation Team, the rest of the staff didn't speak English very well - it was very hard to communicate with the reception staff - if you have a problem, go to your rep!
2) We had ants in our room for 75% of the holiday - complaining to reception did nothing, even after the hygiene guys came in. We eventually got moved after our rep got involved.
3) Be wary of the trips offered - the all day trip that was around 70 dinar each that went to where Star Wars was filmed & said it went to a market in Douz is AWFUL. an 11 hours trip, & we only spent 1 hour off the coach. The price of a camel ride isn't included in the trip & you're pressured into doing it (we still declined, which meant an hour sat in a cafe doing nothing).
4) I don't believe the horses/equipment are that safe - one horse had a rusty bit in its mouth (all the other were fine) & you didn't get hard hats - as a horse rider, I know the dangers of this & I wouldn't get on my own placid horse without a hat, never mind one I don't know!
5) In October, the bar shuts at midnight & the staff seem very eager to go.
6) Again, in October, the air con was turned off, which was pretty uncomfortable some nights.

We often sat at the same table at night, & we got to know our waiter - he always had our bottles of water waiting for us (these were free) at our usual time! Great service!

You get a bottle of water per room per night to take up with you, just go to the bar at the bottom of the main staircase.

As others have said, don't get a menzel! We had a heavy downpour & many of these flooded. The hotel rooms are worth the extra money.

Have some dinar ready if you want to use the table tennis bats & balls, or the golf clubs - you have to put a deposit on them every time you use them, which you get back at the end. Check the times at the animation box before you plan to do something, as it closes for a hours at lunch time.

Generally it was a lovely stay, Kiki especially made out stay brilliant & we hope to return soon!

Room Tip: Don't get a menzel! They can flood & aren't as well kept as the hotel rooms. If you have...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We went there for 1 week all inclusive from 24 till 31.12.2012 and enjoyed our stay a lot.

The hotel is very big and nice. Several restaurants and bars are available. Variety of food is wonderful, there is definately something that you will like. Tunisian traditional special food is served on Fridays and is great. Kids club is very active and Mini disco at night is very funny and amusing for kids. Several shows are performed at night in addition to live music bands. On Friday also they offer a Tunisian traditional dance show which is very interesting and nice. The beach (sand) is great in addition to several outdoors swimming pools and one indoors swimming pool.

Rooms are OK but not 4 stars according to European standard (I think they would be rated as 3 stars) nevertheless they are OK.
We were lucky to arrive on Xmas Evening where our kids could meet Santa Clause and get presents and we could enjoy a Gala Xmas Dinner.

The staff are very friendly and helpful and speak several languages.
I didn't like the huge amount of cats which were also allowed to enter the restaurant but in vacation mode I was able to tolerate that. I guess that they keep them to get rid of insects because we didnt see any.
Next city (Midoun) is about 5 minutes by Taxi which costs around 5 TDN (around 2,5 Euros) and Houmet Souk, the capital of Djerba is around 25 minutes and costs by taxi around around 10 TDN (around 5 Euros).
Wifi is available but VERY expensive (1 hour: 4 Euros, 24 hours: 10 Euros). If you are a smartphone user, buy a prepaid card from Tunisie Telekom (I bought from Tunisie Telekom office at Houmet Souk close to the Post office) which costs less than 2 Euros (you need to present your ID or passport) and then you can have 500 MB 3G internet access for 0,5 Euros per day (I charged my card wih 5 TDN and it was sufficient for 5 days).

All in all we liked our vacation a lot and would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for a week at the beginning of June 2012. I stayed with my husband and our 4 children (2,6,11,17) and we all had a really great holiday. The weather was amazing all week we were there so we couldn't complain!
There isn't much around outside of the hotel but it doesn't cost much to get a taxi to the town which we only visited once as we found everything we needed was in the hotel. The hotel was clean and there was always workers keeping on top of everything. Our room was cleaned daily and we were really satisfied.
The food was good. Obviously it wasn't all burger chips as you are in Tunisia but we never struggled for something to eat. There was always something englishy on offer such as chips, chicken, pasta, pizza, potato...
The animation team were amazing, they made our holiday even better! They worked long days from 9am till 12pm and still was friendly and full of energy. They made you feel welcome and encouraged all the family to get up and join in all the games such as: darts, volley ball, dance class, archery, aqua aerobics, shuffle board, aerobics and many more! Not forgetting the disco and evening show which was always a good laugh. So we would like to say a huge thank you to helmi, nino, Kiki, said, houcine, khalil, said and Allah for entertaining us all holiday :)
Overall we had an unforgettable holiday and have already booked again for next year! We made some good friends at the hotel which we look forward to seeing next year :)

• Stayed June 2012
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Went here for two weeks all inclusive July 2012. Had booked a room in the hotel and we were given a 'menzel' or bungalow. Horrified upon opening the door! Stank of damp, wardrobe so mouldy would not have been able to put clothes in it. All the furniture and bathroom fittings were very dated, chipped and dirty. It was claustraphobic and horrible. First thing next morning went to reception and asked to be moved to a room in the hotel which we had booked (couldn't the night before as we arrived late into the early hours). They moved us and it was much better. Highly reccomend that if you stay here, book a hotel room and not a menzel. Also if you have any problems go straight to reception to get them sorted as the Thomas Cook rep Rachid was useless and mostly concerned with getting good feedback above all else. Any information he gave us was wrong.
The temperature in Djerba was lovely, very hot, the grounds and pools are nice, the beach is nice. If you don't like ents (we don't) avoid the main pool as the animation team are very loud, silly and annoying.
The food was ok, breakfast was by far the best meal for us. There is an outdoor pizza stand where they make pizza with your chosen toppings at lunch and in the evening, and it says something when this was by far the most popular option. The choice of food was poor and sometimes we despaired of going in to eat. The waiters in the main restaurant were on the whole extremely rude and we ended up helping ourselves to drinks as they chose to ignore us (and most other people).
By far the worst thing for us (and i suspect anyone who has an animal allergy) was the cats all over the hotel. Hundreds of them, breeding, fighting, sleeping on peoples sunbeds and towels, begging for scraps at mealtimes. We found this appalling and wondered why this was allowed.

Also the 'cleaner' did not clean our room very well, and if I expect anything at all from a hotel, at least it must be clean. Our bedsheets were not changed while we were there, not nice!!!There is plenty more I could write that is negative, but despite all this we managed to have a nice holiday, got good tans, but by 10 days we had had enough.

In general if you like very hot sun, and a cheapish location and are prepared to put up with the cats, rude staff, cattle market atmosphere in the buffet restaurant, there are worse places, but I have stayed in alot better and wouldn't return here.

Room Tip: Don't get a menzel!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

This was the worst place I have ever been I am not one who expects all the trimming of home but to have even had a clean room would have been something please listen to me I have nothing good to say about this place. Its dirty they don't like the english when you actually get to see a english speaking person they are few and far between. It is over run with cats and cockroaches the food is horrible and the drinks are warm I ate bread and cheese for two weeks as the food was dangerous raw and not cooked properly I cry ed for 3 days and felt so down I have never missed england so much in all my life we even tried to get a flight back as we booked for 2 week and it was way too long I just have tried to put this holiday out of my head as I am so angry I am complaining at the moment it is so bad I just can't express in word just how bad it was and the rep was rude and he didn't like the english at all I hear now its been down graded to a 3 star but I don't know how they did that I wouldn't let my dog stay there oh and I paid for a 4 star hotel with air con not much to ask we got a slum with no air con I only excpect what I pay for and don't think its to much to ask the livilies thing around djerba was the tumble weed

• Stayed October 2012
Portsmouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We went for a 7 day all inclusive holiday staying at the El Mouardi Djerba and I have to say we were very pleasantly suprised.The Trip advisor rating alone doesnt do this place justice; have a good read and make your own mind up! I try to keep my reviews as fair and honest as possible so I will run through the pro's and cons and then do a more detailed review including hints and tips for those of you thinking of staying here for your next holiday.

Pro's:

Great staff. The barstaff (Anis in particular) and all the pool, restaurant anf reception staff very friendly. they work very long hours and I just cant fault their dedication
Great selection of fresh food each day including pasta, fish, seafood, salads, beautiful pastries and desserts and freshmade bread and pizzas (pictures to follow). You wont get burger and chips here- its not that kind of "English" resort so the reviews I've read moaning about the queue for chips (!!); if you want a "fish and chips" kinda holiday go to coast del sol or benidorm not to North Africa!
Massive pools plus long stretches of sandy beaches
2 markets nearby both of which are very cheap and easy to get to (taxi to Houmt Souk takes approx 25 mins and was £10 dinar which is about £4! Taxi to Midoun Market takes about 15 minutes and was approx 5 dinar- £2!!)
Very few Brits! To some of you this may put you off but to us it was a real breath of fresh air! This place hasnt been properly "discovered" by the British yet which is a good thing. The brits we met were very friendly though, there werent any "louts" or loudmouths, there wasnt the "british culture" you get in Spain; it felt like we were in another country which is the whole point in going abroad!!

Cons:

Rooms dated. They were clean but they could really do with new curtains and bedspreads at least. Didnt really bother us as we dont spend a lot of time in the room plus I am a strong believer in you get what you paid for- we got a cheap all inclusive holiday. If we had paid £100 each more I would've expected it to be more modern. We did notice a few of the apartment blocks had builders in refurbishing them plus the day we arrived our whole block got new mini bars so I think they are in the process of doing this.

Evening entertainment in French. Its a french resort and they cater to their core customers so its not fair too moan too much about it; Its a french speaking country so you should expect this. A lot of the entertainment is dancing though so it didnt matter; it was still fun to watch, the only thing we didnt enjoy was a comedy sketch; despite being able to translate it to my partner (just about) it wasnt funny!! English and french comedy is clearly very different...
Tips and advice!
1. If you're booking all inclusive dont pay the extra for Airport transfers. This cost us around £20 each with Thomas Cook whereas a Taxi from the airport to the hotel should cost you no more than 15 dinars (around £7) and you will get to your resort and checked in much quicker than waiting for the Thomas Cook coaches to get organized!! The taxi's are regulated by the local authorities too; I would still advise you ask them to confirm a price before you get in but because they are regulated they are very good and friendly and wont rip you off!
2. Theres more than 1 bar!!! Everyone crowds downstairs bar (where on busy nights you have to queue) whereas upstairs (across from the Restaurant Oliviers) there is a rooftop terrace bar with tables overlooking the pool/stage. This bar is table service which means no queuing (Anis and the staff are so very helpful- as soon as your drink is low he arrives with a fresh one. he remebered everyones drinks despite there being a good 30 people on the terrace- his service stood out for us and it was a highlight of the holiday). Plus the drinks are bigger and the service much better!

3. A little tip goes a long way! We tipped 15-20 dinar the first night (£8 max) and approx 10 dinar (£4) every 3-4 drinks everynight after in the rooftop terrace. Its onyl a few quid but it meant so much to Anisand the guys and we wer epsoilt after. On nights the terrace was packed Anis would move tabel around and get us a tabel in a prime spot overlooking the stage below; we were served before everyone and generally "taken care of". we did notice the only people tipping were the English (and odd German). its a few quid- when you see how hard these guys work for such long hours you'll see why its worth it!
4. Market day. If you have something long sleeved that covers your all inclusive "wrist band" then wear it! Word of warning; locals look out for tourists from certain resorts (they know all the diffrent coloured bands!) and then use this as a ploy to try and get you to go on a "guided tour" of the market (take you to friends shops which are massively overpriced). You will see these people hanging around by the taxi rank at Houmt Souk; easiest thing to do is politely decline.
5. Fixed price or haggle? Personally I didnt enjoy Houmt Souk it was so busy and crowded and the market sellers were very pushy. I would recommend going to Midoun Market rather than Houmt Souk. Its closer, it has everything Houmt Souk does but its more relaxed and it has a good selection of fixed price shops (these shops have price tages for those of you not fond of haggling!). If yuo are going to haggel please be advise yuo need to haggle hard! They always start very very high (140 dinars ended up at 20 dinars for 2 x bracelets! so from £60 to £8!). I know us British find it embarassing but you tell them the most you're willing to pay (when I went it was 2.5 dinar to the pound so easy to work out) and if they wont agree walk away; they'll either change their mind or you'll find something almost identifcal further up with a selller who will meet your price. If .
6. After hours drinking! If you want to drink after midnight The "Sunrise Bar" is exactly that; it stays open to sunrise! It is the only part of the resort which isnt included in your all inclusive package so make sure you take some cash. The drinks are similar price to back at home however they are very strong measures and it didnt take long to get a little tipsy. This bar is aimed at the younger couples. There were very few french here but a good mixture of English, Russians and Germans (the Russians and Germans were very friendly) all of whom did mingle (in fact we met some great people despite the language barrier we had a good time "chatting" to them).
7. Explore Djerba. Museum, Crocodile park and "heritage" site. If you're booking a tourist attraction; it has to be this! Its great value for money. Go in the afternoon (get there about 3:30-4pm so you can still sunbathe in morning) because the crocodiles are fed at 5PM every day.
I hope that helps guys!
I would advise that yuo have a good read through on the negative reviews and make your own mind us; some of the reviews are petty and some are just down right insulting to the staff. Its a cheap all inclusive resort. Its much better than all inclusive resorts we've been to in Turkey/Spain etc but as I said; yuo get what yuo pay for! The service is great, the food is great, the weather is great, the drinks flow- what else do you want from an all inclusive. I have to say that some people expect to get a 5 star luxury holiday on a 2 starbudget!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a cheap holiday in a hot climate (particularly outside of school holidays) who is bored with the "Brit" holidays. 7-10 days would be ideal but I wouldnt want to stay 2 weeks; as with any all incluisve there isnt much outisde the grounds so I would start to get bored by the end of the 2 weeks.

If anyone has any questions or would like to know more feel free to message me; take a look at the photo's too!
Enjoy....

Room Tip: We were in Y block ight out the back of the resort which I preferred as much quieter (you cant hear...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Castleford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Please dont start me on this place ....... where to start ???
on our arrival we was greeted by warm pop and dry bread SERIOUSLY
the following day we woke up to find our bathroom was flooded from a leaking pipe under the bath,
the lights was hanging out of bathroom roof and the hairdryer socket was also pulled from the wall showing bare wires.
this was reported at 8am sun morning they finally moved us about 6pm mon night .
my main concern was NO aircon was working anywhere in the hotel. and was told by the rep (who was also as usless as the hotel ) he told me that all of tunisia turns off the aircon at this time of the year, this i know 1st hand was a lie because we have been to tunisia 5 times before,
and never had this problem . this was backed up when i foned 1 of my friends who live in tunisia
and his words was "THE REP IS TALKING OUT OF HIS HOLE", my aircon is on in my hotel on the same island ,and his room was freezing .
as i suffer really bad with asthma i was very uncomfortable at night as i could hardly breath as it was too hot ( about 37*c ) all through the night and even hotter through the day.
overall when i book a holiday that has aircon i expect it to work.

the food was .. well lets just say a man cant live on bread alone .... the food was disgusting ,
and the drinks wasnt much better admitted i was aware of the drinks having been there before,
and cant really be helped as it there only brew over there. as soon as i get chance im going back to the travel agents to sort this problem out and i WILL get a refund and hopefully get this hotel taken out of the book..... in addition to this please dont be put off by tunisia as we will book again for next year but will go back to HOTEL MAHARB in Sousse as this place is 2nd to none, good friendly staff and great food PS when i find my list i will re-post the rest of my complaints thank you x

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to El Mouradi Djerba Menzel? Share your experiences!