The transfer from the airport takes two hours despite the brochure saying it takes one hour! However, when you reach the Royal El Mansour it is worthwhile. We did not have great weather first week of November - cold, overcast and some days rain. Our room was excellent, we had a seaview looking out over the pools and beach. The kingsize bed was very comfortable and the room was well-equipped and was so clean. However, the corridors are a bit past their best and are in need of refurbishment with torn carpets, stained walls etc. The lifts were also rather tempermental so we were wary as they often broke down!
The buffet restaurant had a good selection of food and most staff were very helpful but some were very slow to assist - particularly when you ordered a wine or beer at dinner; a few evenings we had finished eating before our drinks arrived! We always tipped but still service was slow.
The grounds were very well-kept and because the hotel was not busy we had no trouble getting a lounger either at the pool or on the beach.
Each day we went for a walk down the beach and the deprivation and poverty are heart-rending. Walking the streets is also quite frightening but we were never troubled by any of the locals.
We had a night flight on our return home and from the begining of our stay we requested that we keep our room on for a late checkout. Despite the hotel being at half occupancy this could not be confirmed until the morning of departure. We were allowed to keep our room on although at £60 I found that to be more expensive than previous experiences.
If you travel with Thomas Cook do attend the Welcome Meeting - the big guy who is the rep is a mine of information and keen to share toiletries, books, suncreams etc.
This hotel has great potential but the service needs to improve!
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Royal El Mansour Hotel Mahdia
- Iberostar Royal El Mansour Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The IBEROSTAR Royal El Mansour Hotel & Thalasso is a 5-star Mahdia resort designed for couples and families with children. Sitting along Mahdia's sandy beaches, our hotel offers all-inclusive accommodation for guests wishing to take advantage of all the luxury services within the resort. The IBEROSTAR Royal El Mansour Hotel's top facilities offer ultimate comfort to satisfy all of your dining, lodging, and entertainment needs. Moreover, the hotel is enveloped by beautiful beaches and lush gardens which further enhance your family's experience in Mahdia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, Otel, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Iberostar Royal El Mansour reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.