“Outstanding experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Zarzis
Coventry
“Outstanding experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

Hotel fantastic, staff amazing, food delicious. We were the first English in the hotel and were two of seven English people in the hotel. We thought language would be a barrier - French, Arabic, Dutch & German were the normal languages spoken with very little English, but the staff were brilliant in trying to understand us and even fetching English speaking guests to interpret. The food was amazing - different themes in the restaurant every night. If you are looking for chips chips chips this is not the place for you. The food so lovely it is well worth giving it a go you will surprise yourself. Simon the Rep is brilliant, very informative. We did the trip to the market for 30 dinar a person but it was well worth the time - the market was the smallest part of the trip and the visit to the berber village was brilliant and the trip to the star wars site and set was breathtaking - well worth it. We stopped at the salt lakes which was so lovely - get off the coach and walk around and touch everything - amazed that some paying guests stayed on the coach the whole visit. Ordering the taxi to go into Zarzis was 10 dinar return with a guided walking tour around the place - well worth it. The taxi was booked in reception not the yellow cab and that was an experience in itself but you have to go with the flow. We felt very safe going out on our own and a visit to the barber in the local village as you turn right out of the hotel gates was the best haircut my husband had ever had - even threaded his face and did his eyebrows and nose hair all for the price of £3.50 - Bonus!!!
Give the people and culture a chance and you will hav a fabulous holiday. Buy your gifts at airport on the way back, cheaper and more choice

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
chelmsford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

My colleague thought she heard one of the male check-in staff mutter a word (that sounds like 'itch') about her. There were telephones in the rooms but you could only use the ones in reception. When I checked in I was told there was WiFi. After I had dropped my bags they said the WiFi was not available to me. The ATM machine was not working. The room was clean and was ideal for a late check in and a basic overnight stay. The porter kept hanging around - presumably for a tip. I went to the bar and was given a 1/2 pint of lager which for some reason I was not charged for. I didn't bother with breakfast but I was told I didn't miss much.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Arlon, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

My husband and I first went to the Eden Star hotel in December 2009 and spent the new year there. We enjoyed it so much that we returned with our daughters (20 and 22) for another 10 days in June. As a family we found everything we needed at the hotel - entertainment, fitness, aerobics, sports, as well as the Massage and Relaxation Centre where professional staff provide a wide range of massages, facials, manicures and many other therapeutic treatments for very reasonable prices.

The staff are friendly and the animation team is very dynamic. Our friends who accompanied us have an 8 year old son who went to the mini-club every day as he enjoyed it so much.

We have just returned from spending our second new year at the hotel as a family and the experience was as memorable and enjoyable as the first time. Thanks to all the staff and Happy New Year 2011!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
lugano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

very nice hotel!

many families. mostly french guests, some italians, a few swiss.

plenty of delicious food, lots of meat and fish, which i didn'try as i am vegetarian, but also pizza and pasta are always available. french fries only in the brasserie at the swimming pool. at the swimming pool you can have a small lunch (sandwiches, french fries and pizza), if you don't want to go to the buffet restaurant. if you want ice cream you can help yourself next to the poolbar.

two swimming pools plus one for the very young childern. the water in the sea and in the pools was nicely warm. i liked snorkeling in the sea, 4 different sorts of fishes seen. the beach in front of the hotel was clean except for the seagrass where the fishes lives. if you walk on the beach it is not everywhere clean. by the pool there are three pingpong tables.

in the hotel there is a play room with billiard and some other plays where you need to insert coins.

in the evening good, funny entertainment and minidisco for the children. during the day acquafitness in the swimmingpool, volleyball, boccia and some more activities organised by the "animateurs" of the hotel.
only very few shells on the beach, my children were a little disappointed. in july it was very hot (34 degrees in the shadow: need high sun protection!!!)

there is a little playground, some plays are broken...

staff very friendly!

all in all a very relaxing vacation, one week was perfect, longer it would maybe be a little boring...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Pilsen, Czech republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

We stayed 10 days in this hotel and we really looked forward to our return back home. It's 4 stars hotel and I do believe that it might be one of top hotel in Tunisia when you look around the hotel but anyway we have not spend here a such good time in comparison to other destinations we've already been to.
We had a room where: a) air condition was dripping so we had wet floor all the time, b) water temperature range in a shower 60-90 of degrease every evening so we've found letting opened warm water for an hour as a best solution (when you tell it to hotel staffs they will shut you completely warm water as we'd heard what isn't in my opinion solution at all), c) sometimes I had to use a force on hotel equipment (plug stuck in a bath or water in toilet was passing through), d) forget about plugs - it's not working.

Total disappointment was that nobody actually spoke English (even they said so) and even German and even on reception. So Imagine French speaking people from all sides and animation music as well. It was awful. I do not recommend to travel into Tunisia if you aren't French, I think for other nations chapter Tunisia is over. French proved it to me twice that this is their land when they stole us one sunbed even the towel was put on it. They were very rude. Never found such arrogance in my life. What was really strange thing is that someone took my sandals when I was in the Sea. No such idea did cross my mind that it can happened. French animation music is about 5 songs which you can hear every day at same time and I think in same sequence as well.

The hotel is I think more family oriented but animation in foreign language is not I think the best for non French speaking children anyway.

I have to compliment gardeners and charwomen, they did good job. So everything nearby hotel seemed to be clean. Beach nearby hotel is sandy and every day in morning was cleaned but during the day especially on afternoon you can find beach more and more messy by plants, some plastics and I found even some splinters, so you have to be careful. Water was warm but because of mild sand nontransparent. If you're lucky as me you can step on "something" in the water, it's black and sticky and it's hard to remove. I'd been thinking that it's oil spill but one guest told me that he has been informed that it's some kind of sea fruit like kiwi. So who knows because I think there is an offshore platform not so far (I found the photo on gmap).

Around the hotel is no place to go. I found just one market but they had no bonbons and no alcohol. If you want to pass through the beach on both sides from hotel you will find beach uncared and prepare on collection of stinks. The most disgusting is that you will find fast foods nearby this stinks on both sides. On the left side of the beach after cca 100 meters you can also find sewer which ends in water and yellow liquid something, yuck.

Breakfasts was weak for sort of fruits. Eggs were strange and not so tasty. There were many fried kind of meals. It was too oily for me so the only thing I was able to eat on breakfast were croisants which were fresh. What I really liked was fresh orange juice but sometimes it was warm so it was not so refreshing. Of course when they place it in outside where is too hot. For first 3 days we'd been surprised by the dinner but after that we found it's repeating. Many fried meals tasted raw but pizza and grilled chicken was always perfect. Wine is inclusive even for half boards and I think it was tasty.

When you don't have an all inclusive you can pay extra but you will find prices for same sort of food/drink are different with every day. Once you get voucher and once not. Also when you exchange money on reception to dinars same problem with vouchers and as you know you should have a voucher when you want change money back on airport. On the other side it's better to echange small amounts of money and spend all dinars because as I heard you will lose 30% of value on reverse exchange.

I can't recommend this hotel since the place is just only artificial hotel complex (only French speaking) build on garbage in Tunisia.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Brussels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

Been for one week in this hotel. Have spent a wonderful time with family and the animators are simply great! We could have stayed all the time inside the hotel facilities and enjoy our holiday. Aqua gym (thanks Mido!), tir à l'arc, table tennis, fashion parade, pool games, and nice evenings including a Tunisian evening and an original "Notre Dame de Paris" were all offered! I would surely recommend this hotel to my friends. All inclusive seems to be the best option (we had half board).

For internet: outside the hotel, turn right and some 200m away you find a cafe with 3TND/hour (inside hotel it costs 8).

DO NOT book "trips" offered by the guys walking around the pool! They are not serious, and will not reimburse you if you cannot take the trip anymore. And for sure the quad ride (for example) ismuch more enjoyable with Thomas Cook, even if you pay a few dinars more.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Cote d'Azur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

Have just spent one week at the Eden Star with two eleven year old girls. The hotel rooms were fine, a bit on the basic side, but adequate and clean. I would pay the bit extra next time and book a room facing the pool. The pool area was very nice and well kept and we spent our days there. The animation team were excellent, organising sports and kids clubs in the day and doing the evening shows which were great. The guys were great fun and also very helpful. They all speak several languages.
The food was OK, it just gets a bit boring after a few days. The breakfasts were good with lots of variety, lunches we tended to get from the barbecue restaurant by the pool (tuna or chicken sandwiches or pizza and chips) and in the evenings ate at the buffet restaurant.
There are some nice terraces facing the pool and the sea to have a drink in the evening.
Outside the hotel is a good shopping street about 300 yards from the hotel with lots of typical Tunisian tourist shops and restaurants.
All in all a very good holiday destination.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Eden Star Zarzis? Share your experiences!