“Terrible” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   72, United Nations Street, Hammamet 8050, Tunisia   |
Ranked #31 of 126 Hotels in Hammamet
“Terrible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

It was terrible! We lived in Mahmoud for 10 days and was counting every single day to come back home. Dont go thére, it places very far from thé beach, u have to walk two roads and à lot of garbage! People are rude. Fourati is much better!

• Stayed June 2011

Business
Maribor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Well the rooms are very clean and the people working in the hotel are very nice. Food was not excelent but it was good. Some people are complaining here about the ambient - Well I think:"If you are not traveling in only high class hotels you will find it nice here." I would recommend it to anyone who knows what does it mean to have holiday and not just complaining about those little things that sometimes just don`t count.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Montague, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

Some of the staff was helpful, particularly Fredj, and some could understand a reasonable amount of English. This place caters mostly to Russians/Ukrainians and Germans, with only a few Americans. There is a busy street out front that is difficult to cross. Taxi must be taken to get easily to the Medina in central Hammamet (I also walked it). Do not take the supper meal plan! I also could not sit with my Ukrainian female friends, which was irksome. Breakfast was OK. Pool is fine. A short walk to beach front. Best tours are Carthage Plus, which is in Russian. I took six tours incl Dougga, Carthage, Tunis, El Jem, Sahara, and Zoo, and had one of my friends translate. Couldn't get to Speitlia, though. No laundry in the hotel, but there is an ATM machine in the Sin Bad nearby. If you have the money, would recommend a hotel in South Hammamet or in Jasmine Hammamet. where shopping and restaurants are more common.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

At a wedding reception we all got forced to move to the Hotel Mahmoud from La Paix against our preference. First night I stayed there, a dodgy guy not wearing a lot of clothes stalked me as I was trying to go into my room and came out, not wearing a lot of clothes, asking "How much?" Turned out the hotel staff had already been asked earlier to get him a prostitute. Hotel reception asked him to move out and they ended up in a shouting match where the guy started screaming in french,"This is normal, this is normal here!"
We reported him to the police the next day with the help of my hosts. Mahmoud hotel promised they will only put "respectable couples" and other "wedding guests" on my floor. Next night, 2 guys peeked out of their room while we were trying to get into our room after the wedding party! By that time we had had enough and left the hotel at 4am with the receptionist there pretending to "not understand what the problem is"! :/ Truth was, when we checked into more "respectable" places, we were told by locals that Mahmoud has a bad reputation as a local Love Motel! Not even the police who issued them a warning had much positive things to say about their "types of clienteles there"! If you are females travelling, do not put your safety at risk! STay away from Hotel Mahmoud!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Slovenia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

We stayed in Residence Mahmoud hotel for 1 week in october 2007. If I am completely honest I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. On the outside hotel looks very friendly and nice however once you get in the room it’s completely different story.

When we arrived we got a room which had no balcony and you could hardly breath in it as it was so smoky. The only good thing about the room was probably the view which was towards beautiful neighbour's garden. When we arrived in the room it seemed like it haven’t been cleaned properly. Most of the things in the room didn’t function as well (for example TV and mini bar). The bathroom wasn’t the cleanest as well but to top everything off the toilet didn’t flush so we requested another room with balcony and managed to swap it next morning.

Second room was slightly bigger and had little balcony but unfortunately it wasn’t much cleaner then the first one. TV was working in this one but the hairdryer was broken.

The breakfast was typicaly french and consited of coffee, tea or cocoa, juice, french bread and 2 jams, an egg and sometimes some strange salami which I never tried because it didn’t look very eatable. Dinner was a bit more varied. Hotel also has nice restaurant where we ordered pizza once which was very good and also cheap (only 5 TD).

Hotel also has it’s own pool and fitness. I haven’t seen one single person in either of them during my stay. Take a look at my pictures and you’ll see why. There is also beautiful private hotel beach about 300 m away from the hotel where you can use sunbeds for free.

The staff in the hotel was friendly apart from one guy at the reception who tried to rip us off on our very first day when we arrived and wanted to change money in their local currency.

My tip to anyone who has to stay in this hotel would be to request room in first floor with balcony. The balconies in the first floor are much bigger then the one we had and the rooms are nice size as well.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Residence Mahmoud? Share your experiences!