“A sailing CM” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Hammamet

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hammamet
Club Med Hammamet
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   BP 26 | Barraket Es Sahel - Hammet, Hammamet 8056 , Tunisia   |
Ranked #34 of 128 hotels in Hammamet
International
“A sailing CM”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

A good place if: A/ You like sailing; Hobby Cat pure delight; great wind! and B/ Like a nice Hamam; watching the sunset - after a sailing session - with a mint tea in your hands. The rooms and property were old and overall nothing near the better CMs we grew to love like Sonora (closed now), Bora Bora (closed now), Phuket, Cherating... but then you pay far less than those other ones; and it shows dramatically. Would we go back despite the nice time? No.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

413 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

In Club Med Hammamet everything was just right. The club resort was very nice and well maintained and the beach was very clean and well set up. The bungalows are perfectly equipped, very large, clean and air conditioned. The club management was great and the staff was always nice and accommodating. Especially the chef de village (Patrick) has taken care of the guests personally at any time.
Also the food at the hotel was very good and there was a large and daily changing fresh offer (always fresh fruit and vegetables, fish, meat, light food, local cuisine but also pizza and pasta, for breakfast freshly squeezed orange juice and homemade shakes). Once a week the dinner was moved to the pool: beautiful (all in white), good atmosphere, nice music and the food was delicious as always.
The sport offer was very extensive and left nothing to be desired, fitness facilities, tennis, flying trapeze, archery, sailing etc. Even the evening shows were very entertaining and varied. All in all it was a great holiday and we will definitely come back again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I went with my friend and our two 18 year old daughters. It was the last week that the resort was open this year (first week of September 2013) and so it was not hugely busy which was lovely for us. I think this resort is exceptionally well run by Patrick, the chef de village and he sets a high standard (as well as being a talented performer in the evening spectacles). We were greeted with a drink and a meal even though we did not arrive until at 1 am. All the staff were very polite and friendly and the GOs went out of their way to make sure we were happy and entertained. You have to remember that it is French so go with it -the "Crazy Signs" dancing (line dancing) is bizarre but huge fun if you enter into the spirit of it and I found myself doing things that I would never have imagined including archery, flying on the trapeze and paragliding. GOs sat with us at meal times, ensured we had a drink in the bar and that we were happy. At the end of our stay we were given a gift as we went on the coach and waved off by the Patrick and the GOs. The food was good, the service was excellent and we had an absolutely fantastic week enjoying the resort, the beach and the friendly fun atmosphere.

The downside was Tunis Airlines - we were delayed going out and coming back and the food and service left a great deal to be desired. Security at Tunis airport involves queuing up in the sun to put your bags through ONE scanning machine where no one was stopped due to the massive queue -this really annoyed me given the extremes that other countries go to but this is obviously beyond the control of Club Med. BTW don!t leave your lights on in the bungalow when you go out for the evening as we came back the first night to a swam of flying ants in our room - yuck!

Room Tip: We were in the bungalows - we were surprised that the main rooms only had a double bed rather than t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
derbyshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Holiday here 25th August for a week with my wife and three children 5,7,10 years. As said before in another review it has positives and a lot of negatives.
This was my 1st time with Club Med and the reason we chose it was because my wife had been to Turkey with her family about twenty years ago and loved it. The one in Turkey must be far superior as I know it does cost a lot more and this is what I would describe as a basic version.
On the good side the overall ambience is friendly and the 'GO's do work in the whole, very hard. The activities are of a very high standard and are carried out regularly. If you like activities and sport then this is great. The tennis centre is great and well looked after, there are too many positives about the activities to mention but overall you will not be disappointed. The beach is great and we as a family had many hours of fun in the waves.
The negatives are too many to mention but here are a few, pick up from the airport was in an old filthy people carrier, not a good first impression. On arrival I expected a well cared for property but the buildings and even the grounds are somewhat lacking, peeling paint is the norm. Don't expect a palace. The check in was poor with no information or pack given to us, we were left to sort ourselves out. The room, although very clean was also lacking, room 212 in the main hotel. I asked to have a look at another room but due to us coming on changeover day they were very busy and would only consider me coming the next day and see what they could do, by this time we were unpacked and the hassle would be to much for us. Food was average although they did put on a good selection but I suspect due to budget requirements the cut of meat etc was poor, beef was pretty much like eating leather. There is only one bar and everything is run around this, when asking for a drink don't expect to be served immediately as the staff always seem to want to move some glasses around before pouring you a drink, it did get tedious at times as getting a drink always seemed too much trouble for the bar staff. Also don't even consider the wine which was a big problem for us as we like a drop with our meal. The wine included was Tunisians finest, the flies would not even entertain it. The wine you could buy was also Tunisian which I doubted would be much better but was not even allowed to taste before I bought so it was water with our meal, very disappointing. The kids club was very French orientated which put our kids off, however it is a mainly French club so what did i expect.
I could go on but overall I would say we had a good holiday but there were a lot of issues and disappointments. There is a reason you are paying less than some other club meds but near four grand for a week for five is not cheap in my book. Definitely would not go back due to the resort and the surrounding area which does not inspire by any means.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MODA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

we went there in july 2013 with my 2,5 year old baby and my husband.first the room was so far away from the center and after 1,5 hours waiting at the reception we got our new closer room and it was good.
after we enterered the room, the luggage guy brought our luggages to our room and we were shocked , all the luggages were damaged and harmed. it was not like this when we arrived at the resort 2 hours ago and we asked him and he sad that he was totally sorry , said that they fell of the luggage carrying car. can you imagine?I beleive he was going fast without locking the back side of the car-truck, otherwise these luggaged would never be harmed like this. so we went back to the reception for the second time for this luggage issue to have the papers for this situation to get money for our harmed luggages from the insurance of club med.after some time, all the papers were filled and we were ready to get our money back from club med insurance service which is Marsch. at this point what they tell to us by GOs is, "now our help ends here, from now on you will solve the issue with the insurance company" sory but club med made this insurance for us and I dont know the company of Marsch at all??? so as a result we are left tou our destiny...
let me tell you this, we are now back from the holiday and 2 months passed and we received nothing. not even one call or email or anything.we sent mails, called them but no solution at all. just think if a bigger issue happened?where is the logic of insurance here?
anyway, we nearly spent all our half day for these two issues at the reception and started the day with no good mood at all.
since we liked the resort, all the pools (1 pool for adultts and 2 for the kids)
the smallest pool for the babies were not clean at all.I asked once for the cleaning guy to clean this pool . and around this pool my husband cut his foot with a broken glass and it bleeded a lot. at other club meds, only plastic glasses are served around the pool.
the food was not the best at the main restaurant and it was so noisy there, so we preferred the one by the beach at lunch time.
we tried the petite club for my little one, we went there a few times and I spent long times there and had to chance to observe the GOs and how things worked with them there.unfortunately my expereince were not nice. first I saw that they forgot one girl in the pool after swimming time.they gathered all the kids and took them back in the room but the little girl was left there all alone by herself and she was inside the pool.and right after, the GOs of the baby club came and asked me who this girl was and I told them that she was from the petite club, and they were shocked also.so they took her and sent her to the petite club and she was crying.another thing is that, there was no tent over the open play ground of the petite club.can you imagine the kids playing there under the Tunisian sun? so their solution is to put all the kids inside a room to play. but I like the idea of my kid to be in the open air, with oxygen, especially when we are on vacation at summer time. and I want her to play freely, not put in a room for hours.
so firstly my daughter didnt want to stay there because she wanted to be outside, she didnt want to stay in the room, and secondly I didnt like the things I explained above, so we didnt choose the petite club.
lastly, one day before our leave, we checked the traffic board and didnt see our names for airport transfer and asked why. they told us that it was not included in our reservation and they asked for extra money for new transpoort request. but our reservation was a total package with VIP transfer. so we called the CM office back home and they solved the issue, but still they wanted to send us with another group bus transfer and we didnot accept this because we paid for VIp transfer. after again some time spent at the reception and with our resistance, they accpted the vip transfer and we came back home safely.
lastly I would like to mention about the chief de village. generally I liked him. he was everywhere, always dealing with the GMs.And also he tried to help us with this luggage issue. but in one of his emails he sent to CM office, he described us as "impatient guests" (his sentence is: Il est plutôt impatient de savoir comment va se passer las suite au niveau des assurances) and I really did not like this. I have spent a lot of money for this vacation and my time is precious. I dont deserve my luggage to be damaged, spent time at reseption or wait for 2 months to get a reply from the insurance company and I dont deserve to be called impatient.
My final words are; keeping in mind the political issues of Tunis, I really liked the country and the people. I liked the village in general.I liked the white sand and the green-blue clear sea of the beach.my kid was happy with the pool and sea and the sand, sharing time with other kids around. we liked the beachside restaurant and evening shows were nice.the village rooms are very nice and clean, good decoration, poolside and bar surroundings needs to be cleaned much more better. kids are running and playing around there near the broken glasses. something very important here; the floor around the polls are very slippery when wet, this is unbeleivable. it needs to be changed. not all of it but one color line.every body and especially the kids fell around.
bar staff needs to learn to be more polite with the guests, I have seen much more crowded villages and bar people there were more polite.
I didnt like to be left alone with a insurance company(insurance made by club med) for my problem caused by club med.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

All I can say is that I completely agree with the review earlier (good, but certainly not great) On the positive side the sailing was excellent, the GO's there knew their stuff and were very welcoming. (thankyou to George and Zied, they were great!)
Our accommodation for a family of 5 was excellent, and kept very clean. Food was no way near as good as we had at Club Med Beldi in Turkey two years ago, but was still of a good standard, albeit a little repetitive.
The GO's were not very enthusiastic, especially in kids clubs, and some of them spoke little English. To reiterate the comment earlier, we found several things went missing off the sunbeds during the day,and worked this out to be at the weekends. Unfortunately this pointed the finger at the "non club med" guests at the resort, as several of the bungalows were rented out to Tunisian families. We had an uncomfortable moment with some Tunisian teenagers and our blonde 5 year old in the pool and felt we need to move away from this group.
We were there during the quiet week as I believe most guests got diverted to other resorts due to the political situation in Tunisia so we were fortunate to have the opportunity to do archery and the trapeze without queueing, and this was well run.
I thought it needed a bit of a refurb, the pool area especially as tiles were broken (my 5 year old son cut his foot on broken tiles) and the paving to the accommodation needed replacing. However the other areas, especially the accommodation was great.
All in all I would go to Club Med again, but may try another resort.

Room Tip: for a family of 5 or 6, the family bungalows are great.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is a review of Club Med (CM), Hammamet, Tunisia, for 2 weeks starting July 22nd 2013. In summary, we found this holiday a disappointment. It does have the energy and passion you would expect of a CM but there were many issues.
Firstly, you need to aware of the local political situation in Tunisia and specifically Tunis, before making any reservations. We found CM unwilling to rebook us into another resort shortly before we were due to leave despite voicing our concern over the situation there in Tunisia.
Check out the UK Foreign Office (www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/tunisia) as the situation is dynamic and changing. Our recommendation would be if you want to enjoy local culture, sites and restaurants outside of the resort I would recommend a different destination. Local people seemed tense due to outbreaks of violence in and around Tunis.

Now, for the resort. This is a relatively new refurbished resort – approximately 10 weeks although it’s clearly older and has gone through a rapid refurbishment.
The Strengths
The resort has some great swimming pools (3 in total) catering for a range of ages, and offers really great facilities consistent with what you would expect of a CM - sailing and tennis for example. There is a constant range of activities for many different age groups which are well distributed throughout the day. We rented a family bungalow which was very spacious (2 bed & 2 bath) and kept wonderfully clean. The weather was great and you certainly need 30+ sunscreen and great hats for the children. Oh yes, for sailing its well worth taking gloves!
BUT........
The Opportunities
1. The food– both the quality and the ambiance of the evening restaurant was really disappointing. Different dishes were offered but I was expecting better quality, freshly cooked dishes based on our experience of previous CM.
2. Thefts. Yes, sadly and remarkably, many small things disappeared poolside. Whilst we were there phones, sunglasses, caps and even sun block disappeared. Sadly many families lost things. Really, not what you expect at a CM.
3. The kids club. Our 7 year son did not enjoy the club and sadly was put off going (obviously a key reason for choosing CM). I was with him when one occasion a GO, responsible for taking 8 children swimming, took them to a small roped off area of the pool (approx 3x3m) and then duly ignored them preferring to chat to the girls. This was a significant frustration for me and despite reassurances from the kids club managers we still ran into issues that resulted in our children not wanting to go to the club.
4. Poolside cleanliness. I was taking many shards of broken glass that i had found poolside to the bar to encourage a proper cleaning. Cleaners simply didn’t have the passion to clean to a standard that you expect as a parent. I became more and more paranoid during the stay over the prospect of the kids ending up with cut feet. So, be super diligent about your children wearing flip flops or something all the time!
5. GO’s. The majority of GO’s are very good. However, I never really felt the children were greeted. I was expecting the kids to be recognized more as individual people - yes, even at the age of 7 and 9! oh yes, and you will need a reasonable level of French to engage in conversation with the GO’s.
6. The evening entertainment. We struggled with the evening poolside entertainer. For the first few evenings its actually quite amusing but then we had to start to organize our evening to avoid the dreadful, mumbled renditions of your favorite classics.
7. Action to the feedback. Sadly, we felt that when we raised our concerns we often we not heard and the feedback not appreciated (hence why i am writing this!)

Lastly, it is worth mentioning our stay happened at a time when the club was no more than half full. I really can’t imagine how the club would function if it were at 100% capacity.

As always, I am sure there were other guests who thoroughly enjoyed their stay at CM Hammamet and will feel this report focuses too much on “small problems”. Well, perhaps. But in conclusion, I would say this did not meet our expectations as a family of a CM holiday. Safe travels!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Hammamet? Share your experiences!