“Good, but could be better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Hammamet

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hammamet
Club Med Hammamet
You added Club Med Hammamet to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   BP 26 | Barraket Es Sahel - Hammet, Hammamet 8056 , Tunisia   |
Ranked #42 of 126 Hotels in Hammamet
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Good, but could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

All I can say is that I completely agree with the review earlier (good, but certainly not great) On the positive side the sailing was excellent, the GO's there knew their stuff and were very welcoming. (thankyou to George and Zied, they were great!)
Our accommodation for a family of 5 was excellent, and kept very clean. Food was no way near as good as we had at Club Med Beldi in Turkey two years ago, but was still of a good standard, albeit a little repetitive.
The GO's were not very enthusiastic, especially in kids clubs, and some of them spoke little English. To reiterate the comment earlier, we found several things went missing off the sunbeds during the day,and worked this out to be at the weekends. Unfortunately this pointed the finger at the "non club med" guests at the resort, as several of the bungalows were rented out to Tunisian families. We had an uncomfortable moment with some Tunisian teenagers and our blonde 5 year old in the pool and felt we need to move away from this group.
We were there during the quiet week as I believe most guests got diverted to other resorts due to the political situation in Tunisia so we were fortunate to have the opportunity to do archery and the trapeze without queueing, and this was well run.
I thought it needed a bit of a refurb, the pool area especially as tiles were broken (my 5 year old son cut his foot on broken tiles) and the paving to the accommodation needed replacing. However the other areas, especially the accommodation was great.
All in all I would go to Club Med again, but may try another resort.

Room Tip: for a family of 5 or 6, the family bungalows are great.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is a review of Club Med (CM), Hammamet, Tunisia, for 2 weeks starting July 22nd 2013. In summary, we found this holiday a disappointment. It does have the energy and passion you would expect of a CM but there were many issues.
Firstly, you need to aware of the local political situation in Tunisia and specifically Tunis, before making any reservations. We found CM unwilling to rebook us into another resort shortly before we were due to leave despite voicing our concern over the situation there in Tunisia.
Check out the UK Foreign Office (www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/tunisia) as the situation is dynamic and changing. Our recommendation would be if you want to enjoy local culture, sites and restaurants outside of the resort I would recommend a different destination. Local people seemed tense due to outbreaks of violence in and around Tunis.

Now, for the resort. This is a relatively new refurbished resort – approximately 10 weeks although it’s clearly older and has gone through a rapid refurbishment.
The Strengths
The resort has some great swimming pools (3 in total) catering for a range of ages, and offers really great facilities consistent with what you would expect of a CM - sailing and tennis for example. There is a constant range of activities for many different age groups which are well distributed throughout the day. We rented a family bungalow which was very spacious (2 bed & 2 bath) and kept wonderfully clean. The weather was great and you certainly need 30+ sunscreen and great hats for the children. Oh yes, for sailing its well worth taking gloves!
BUT........
The Opportunities
1. The food– both the quality and the ambiance of the evening restaurant was really disappointing. Different dishes were offered but I was expecting better quality, freshly cooked dishes based on our experience of previous CM.
2. Thefts. Yes, sadly and remarkably, many small things disappeared poolside. Whilst we were there phones, sunglasses, caps and even sun block disappeared. Sadly many families lost things. Really, not what you expect at a CM.
3. The kids club. Our 7 year son did not enjoy the club and sadly was put off going (obviously a key reason for choosing CM). I was with him when one occasion a GO, responsible for taking 8 children swimming, took them to a small roped off area of the pool (approx 3x3m) and then duly ignored them preferring to chat to the girls. This was a significant frustration for me and despite reassurances from the kids club managers we still ran into issues that resulted in our children not wanting to go to the club.
4. Poolside cleanliness. I was taking many shards of broken glass that i had found poolside to the bar to encourage a proper cleaning. Cleaners simply didn’t have the passion to clean to a standard that you expect as a parent. I became more and more paranoid during the stay over the prospect of the kids ending up with cut feet. So, be super diligent about your children wearing flip flops or something all the time!
5. GO’s. The majority of GO’s are very good. However, I never really felt the children were greeted. I was expecting the kids to be recognized more as individual people - yes, even at the age of 7 and 9! oh yes, and you will need a reasonable level of French to engage in conversation with the GO’s.
6. The evening entertainment. We struggled with the evening poolside entertainer. For the first few evenings its actually quite amusing but then we had to start to organize our evening to avoid the dreadful, mumbled renditions of your favorite classics.
7. Action to the feedback. Sadly, we felt that when we raised our concerns we often we not heard and the feedback not appreciated (hence why i am writing this!)

Lastly, it is worth mentioning our stay happened at a time when the club was no more than half full. I really can’t imagine how the club would function if it were at 100% capacity.

As always, I am sure there were other guests who thoroughly enjoyed their stay at CM Hammamet and will feel this report focuses too much on “small problems”. Well, perhaps. But in conclusion, I would say this did not meet our expectations as a family of a CM holiday. Safe travels!

surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Just back from 1 week holiday with husband, teenage daughter and brother and his family...didn't want to come home! Lovely weather, food, staff, rooms and facilities. Beach perfect- although resort was full, it felt spacious and relaxing with more than enough sunbeds by pool and on beach. Tennis courts are fantastic and easily available, although I would reccomend bringing your own rackets if you really want to get a good game in as the ones available are in need of re-stringing/replacement. Overall, a fantastic holiday- the real thing was far better than I had imagined from seeing the website!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We wanted an all-inclusive without any england football shirts, so a friend recommended club med. There's a slight premium which gets rid of any feeling of a bucket holiday, whilst being able to enjoy all of the freedom that an all-inclusive allows. Flew with Tunisair, absolutely brilliant service from Heathrow - unfortunately we were 'that family' as our two daughters (3 and 1) decided to scream the whole way there - sorry! The transfer was seamless, and walking off of the coach to a flag-waving welcome party and a cocktail put straight in your hand really lets you know that you're on holiday, and you're not going to have to do anything for yourself. The resort is huge, tennis courts here, archery there, fabulous beach, 3 main swimming pools, a fitness centre, a spa and an enormous complex for the children. The kids clubs there are absolutely fantastic. The baby club (4-24months) and petit club (2-3) has it's own complex, complete with it's own baby swimming pool and baby restaurant (open for lunch and early dinner so you can feed the little ones at their usual times rather than trying to get a 3 year old to eat with you at 9pm). Both girls loved the clubs and neither of them had a problem with the language. The whole resort is French speaking (partly because of Tunisia and mostly because Club Med is French) - so you're going to need to dig deep into that GCSE memory... as long as you can get by in French you'll be absolutely fine, they do have English speakers but not many. The food is absolutely fantastic, considering how many they are catering for it was just top notch. The bar is great, loads of cocktails and most spirits you could think of - slight premiums if you want premium wines or champagne but everything else is included. At no point at all did the resort feel packed or crowded, there were always sunbeds (though you may have to throw a towel down on one of the shaded ones if you don't want to be in the sun all day) and loads of space. The most incredible thing about this place is the GOs - there are 120 of them living in the hotel amongst the guests, eating and drinking with us. They are all absolutely incredible, will do anything for you and will make sure you are comfortable, accommodated and happy. The 'chef de village' Patrick is legendary, leading his team brilliantly. I can't imagine anyone ever coming here without children and enjoying themselves - this is absolutely a family resort. Worth every penny and we are definitely booking with Club Med again.

Room Tip: if you have young children book a family room in the hotel, not in the village (the village looks mo...
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Just returned from 9 nights with my husband, 2 & 5 year old & my dad. This is our 2nd stay here although the 1st was 5 years ago. Our holiday was booked for the 17th June but we were told by aspen travel that the resort wasn't opening until end of June due to refurbishment work overrunning. I was therefore expecting the place to look amazing....it didn't! The old bath in our bungalow had been replaced by a walk in shower which leaked buckets of water & the finish was terrible. The painting that had been done to the exterior of the bungalows was awful with white paint splattered all over the paths & signage. The cleaners were lazy & I often returned to find a cigarette butt on my porch & the paths were strewn with the string they used to hold the packs of loo roll together. We left our pop up beach shelter on the porch overnight & it got stolen. There's lots of glass around the pool area my husband trod on a piece & I picked up 4 bits one day just sitting by the bar. The baby room was small & frequently had no milk or water & a fridge full of natural yoghurt instead!

I spoke to Patrick the chief de village & he said that our june dates were cancelled due to under occupancy NOT refurbishment. I felt conned if I'd known this I wouldn't have rebooked!

Pros-
Food was very good
Most staff were very nice although 95% spoke little English
The beach although public was very nice & the sea was warm
Cannot fault the welcome & goodbye from the resort
Excellent pools especially for children
The beach restaurant was quieter & had a lovely breeze
Ba flight was on time & staff were courteous
Cons-
Communal areas around the bungalows very untidy & rubbish left around
Glass around the pool left by cleaners who didn't do their jobs properly despite there being lots of children running around
The finish in the new bathrooms is terrible
The flight home with Tunis air miserable staff & half hour delay avoid if possible
Baby rooms were awful with no supplies
Having stayed in 4 trident resorts I would say avoid the 3 trident 1's this one feels more like a 2. Spend the extra and go to club med palmiye instead!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Just got back from 1 week at Club Med Hammamet (Early July) with my wife and our 18 month old daughter Rosie. Flew out and back with Tunisair and their service was pretty poor. 1.5 hour delay on way out and 2.5 hour delay on way back with very little communication on what the issues were. Having discussed with others holiday makers, this seemed to be pretty much the norm. Our pushchair then managed to take 30 mins longer than the rest of our luggare to arrive. (if you can manage at the airport without one, Club Med actually have loads you can use so we wouldnt take one again) Unfortunately this meant that we didnt arrive at the resort until 12:30am. We were greeted by 2 very friendly GOs, who welcomed us and showed us to our room. We immediately noticed that despite booking for an infant, the room wasnt set up and there was no cot for my daughter to sleep in. We asked for one and they scuttled off to find one. We received a call 10 minutes later to say that housekeeping had gone home so they wouldnt be able to provide one till the following day. So at 1am I found myself fashioning a cot from pillows and a couple of sofas that were in the room. Not a great start, but true to their word, first thing the next day, someone turned up with a cot, baby bath, foam changing mat etc.

As has been stated in many reviews, the spoken language on the resort is French, some of the GOs do speak varying amounts of english, but it certainly helps if you can speak a bit of French. All of the food and activities are in both French and English so there is no need to guess what you're eating. The food itself is very good. Its a typical serve yourself buffet affair but there was always a huge variety and we never had the same meal twice. Special notice for the pastry chef as the cakes were always amazing.

We also used the baby club and were quite nervous about it, as our daughter is incredibly shy, however all of the staff were fantsatic and made a real fuss of her, coming over to say hello when ever they saw us out with her. She was looked after by an amazing GO named Haifa who had great english and really set our nerves at ease. We had read reviews of other kids clubs where the children were left alone crying but here, everyone seemed really happy and whenever we came to pick her up, Haifa was there playing with her and keeping her amused.

Even if you dont speak French, you'll soon be blasting out Bonjours at ease as every single person from cleaning staff to maintence men all say hello to the guests whenever they pass you which is a nice touch.

One thing I would say which is not so much a critisism of the resort, but both reception and the bar can occasionally be busy and unlike the British, the French really dont queue, so dont be suprised if you've been waiting 5 minutes only for someone to walk straight up and grab the receptionist or order a drink.

Would also point out that unlike on other resorts that weve been to, far from hiding away in an office somewhere, Patrick the resort manager was always present. So much so that I started to think they had cloned him. Beach, restaurant or bar, he was always around chatting to guests and making sure everyone was having a great time. A point further highlighted when it sadly became time to leave. We were the only people leaving on the Friday morning but despite this, Patrick was stood in reception next to our bags (which had been picked up earlier) with 2 of his staff to furnish us with water and sweets and to wave us off, which was a nice touch.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay at Club Med Hammamet, and as our first Club Med experience, would definately recommend it to others who are looking for a relaxing all inclusive break with family.

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I spent my honeymoon there.I stayed for a week.Nothing much to do in Hammamet, but the resort is a very relaxing place.I loved the room, the beach & the restuarants. The food is amazing, especially the restuarant by the beach. The GOs were extremely friendly. Thank you for making my honeymoon a memorable one.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Club Med Hammamet? Share your experiences!