“Perfect family holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Hammamet

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hammamet
Club Med Hammamet
Save Saved
You added Club Med Hammamet to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   BP 26 | Barraket Es Sahel - Hammet, Hammamet 8056 , Tunisia   |
Ranked #32 of 128 hotels in Hammamet
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect family holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We wanted an all-inclusive without any england football shirts, so a friend recommended club med. There's a slight premium which gets rid of any feeling of a bucket holiday, whilst being able to enjoy all of the freedom that an all-inclusive allows. Flew with Tunisair, absolutely brilliant service from Heathrow - unfortunately we were 'that family' as our two daughters (3 and 1) decided to scream the whole way there - sorry! The transfer was seamless, and walking off of the coach to a flag-waving welcome party and a cocktail put straight in your hand really lets you know that you're on holiday, and you're not going to have to do anything for yourself. The resort is huge, tennis courts here, archery there, fabulous beach, 3 main swimming pools, a fitness centre, a spa and an enormous complex for the children. The kids clubs there are absolutely fantastic. The baby club (4-24months) and petit club (2-3) has it's own complex, complete with it's own baby swimming pool and baby restaurant (open for lunch and early dinner so you can feed the little ones at their usual times rather than trying to get a 3 year old to eat with you at 9pm). Both girls loved the clubs and neither of them had a problem with the language. The whole resort is French speaking (partly because of Tunisia and mostly because Club Med is French) - so you're going to need to dig deep into that GCSE memory... as long as you can get by in French you'll be absolutely fine, they do have English speakers but not many. The food is absolutely fantastic, considering how many they are catering for it was just top notch. The bar is great, loads of cocktails and most spirits you could think of - slight premiums if you want premium wines or champagne but everything else is included. At no point at all did the resort feel packed or crowded, there were always sunbeds (though you may have to throw a towel down on one of the shaded ones if you don't want to be in the sun all day) and loads of space. The most incredible thing about this place is the GOs - there are 120 of them living in the hotel amongst the guests, eating and drinking with us. They are all absolutely incredible, will do anything for you and will make sure you are comfortable, accommodated and happy. The 'chef de village' Patrick is legendary, leading his team brilliantly. I can't imagine anyone ever coming here without children and enjoying themselves - this is absolutely a family resort. Worth every penny and we are definitely booking with Club Med again.

Room Tip: if you have young children book a family room in the hotel, not in the village (the village looks mo...

413 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Just returned from 9 nights with my husband, 2 & 5 year old & my dad. This is our 2nd stay here although the 1st was 5 years ago. Our holiday was booked for the 17th June but we were told by aspen travel that the resort wasn't opening until end of June due to refurbishment work overrunning. I was therefore expecting the place to look amazing....it didn't! The old bath in our bungalow had been replaced by a walk in shower which leaked buckets of water & the finish was terrible. The painting that had been done to the exterior of the bungalows was awful with white paint splattered all over the paths & signage. The cleaners were lazy & I often returned to find a cigarette butt on my porch & the paths were strewn with the string they used to hold the packs of loo roll together. We left our pop up beach shelter on the porch overnight & it got stolen. There's lots of glass around the pool area my husband trod on a piece & I picked up 4 bits one day just sitting by the bar. The baby room was small & frequently had no milk or water & a fridge full of natural yoghurt instead!

I spoke to Patrick the chief de village & he said that our june dates were cancelled due to under occupancy NOT refurbishment. I felt conned if I'd known this I wouldn't have rebooked!

Pros-
Food was very good
Most staff were very nice although 95% spoke little English
The beach although public was very nice & the sea was warm
Cannot fault the welcome & goodbye from the resort
Excellent pools especially for children
The beach restaurant was quieter & had a lovely breeze
Ba flight was on time & staff were courteous
Cons-
Communal areas around the bungalows very untidy & rubbish left around
Glass around the pool left by cleaners who didn't do their jobs properly despite there being lots of children running around
The finish in the new bathrooms is terrible
The flight home with Tunis air miserable staff & half hour delay avoid if possible
Baby rooms were awful with no supplies
Having stayed in 4 trident resorts I would say avoid the 3 trident 1's this one feels more like a 2. Spend the extra and go to club med palmiye instead!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Just got back from 1 week at Club Med Hammamet (Early July) with my wife and our 18 month old daughter Rosie. Flew out and back with Tunisair and their service was pretty poor. 1.5 hour delay on way out and 2.5 hour delay on way back with very little communication on what the issues were. Having discussed with others holiday makers, this seemed to be pretty much the norm. Our pushchair then managed to take 30 mins longer than the rest of our luggare to arrive. (if you can manage at the airport without one, Club Med actually have loads you can use so we wouldnt take one again) Unfortunately this meant that we didnt arrive at the resort until 12:30am. We were greeted by 2 very friendly GOs, who welcomed us and showed us to our room. We immediately noticed that despite booking for an infant, the room wasnt set up and there was no cot for my daughter to sleep in. We asked for one and they scuttled off to find one. We received a call 10 minutes later to say that housekeeping had gone home so they wouldnt be able to provide one till the following day. So at 1am I found myself fashioning a cot from pillows and a couple of sofas that were in the room. Not a great start, but true to their word, first thing the next day, someone turned up with a cot, baby bath, foam changing mat etc.

As has been stated in many reviews, the spoken language on the resort is French, some of the GOs do speak varying amounts of english, but it certainly helps if you can speak a bit of French. All of the food and activities are in both French and English so there is no need to guess what you're eating. The food itself is very good. Its a typical serve yourself buffet affair but there was always a huge variety and we never had the same meal twice. Special notice for the pastry chef as the cakes were always amazing.

We also used the baby club and were quite nervous about it, as our daughter is incredibly shy, however all of the staff were fantsatic and made a real fuss of her, coming over to say hello when ever they saw us out with her. She was looked after by an amazing GO named Haifa who had great english and really set our nerves at ease. We had read reviews of other kids clubs where the children were left alone crying but here, everyone seemed really happy and whenever we came to pick her up, Haifa was there playing with her and keeping her amused.

Even if you dont speak French, you'll soon be blasting out Bonjours at ease as every single person from cleaning staff to maintence men all say hello to the guests whenever they pass you which is a nice touch.

One thing I would say which is not so much a critisism of the resort, but both reception and the bar can occasionally be busy and unlike the British, the French really dont queue, so dont be suprised if you've been waiting 5 minutes only for someone to walk straight up and grab the receptionist or order a drink.

Would also point out that unlike on other resorts that weve been to, far from hiding away in an office somewhere, Patrick the resort manager was always present. So much so that I started to think they had cloned him. Beach, restaurant or bar, he was always around chatting to guests and making sure everyone was having a great time. A point further highlighted when it sadly became time to leave. We were the only people leaving on the Friday morning but despite this, Patrick was stood in reception next to our bags (which had been picked up earlier) with 2 of his staff to furnish us with water and sweets and to wave us off, which was a nice touch.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay at Club Med Hammamet, and as our first Club Med experience, would definately recommend it to others who are looking for a relaxing all inclusive break with family.

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I spent my honeymoon there.I stayed for a week.Nothing much to do in Hammamet, but the resort is a very relaxing place.I loved the room, the beach & the restuarants. The food is amazing, especially the restuarant by the beach. The GOs were extremely friendly. Thank you for making my honeymoon a memorable one.

• Stayed June 2012
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Do go it is very nice, i'm a big fan of CM but the quality in hammemet is so poor that this is like paradise, don't leave the club for anything! beach is nice, gets a little cool in winter, probably not beach weather. games, staff are super, food is surprisingly good for Tunisia. May be more geared to families with kids but hey i had fun with just my other half!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We spent a week at the Hammamet resort in early May for a week.

It was the perfect getaway for doing nothing for a week. The staff were uniformly excellent, as was the food for the duration. Even the cleaning staff were nice to us and tried out their English.

All in all, the effort put in from dusk to dawn was very impressive. The resort itself had great swimming pools, but the beach was not so great.

The only downside of the whole holiday are was our 5 hour delay at the airport on route home thanks to some airport delay.

All in a very decent holiday

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Don’t go here! First of all, we were robbed at this Club Med. Back to that later…

My wife and two children went to this Club Med at the end of July 2012. While something things were pretty good , like the Kids Club (apart from a local GO who my wife caught shouting furiously at the children in a darkened room while they all cried in fear), White Night (amazing!), and some of the entertainment, many things were not, especially considering that we paid 4000 euros for the week for two adults, a three-year-old, and an infant.

First off, the room was nasty. The toilet was broken and dirty. Our shower was clogged every day, which meant that the last person to shower in our room had to do so in fifty cm of dirty, soapy water.

When we arrived, the cleaner was mopping our floor, but when the floor dried, oddly, it was dirty: it hadn’t been swept. Also, when we arrived, our living room and couch were infested with ants. I mean, like hundreds or thousands. It was quite impressive and had I seen it on the Discovery Channel, I might have found it fascinating. The previous occupants had apparently left food out, evidenced by the crumbs on the floor and on the couch. All in all, the rooms and the surrounding terrain seemed very old. The streets were full of potholes, like you might expect in Sarejevo in 1995, and anything with paint on it was peeling. Again, we could easily look past that -- but for 4000 euros for a week?

My wife and I are not too picky and we don’t expect staff to wait on us hand and foot. However, we could not believe how slow, lethargic, and apathetic the bar staff were --unless, of course, you were a woman with a generous top half. Every time I ordered a drink at the bar, I felt like I’d asked the bartender to massage my feet or run a kilometer backwards or something.

Back to the robbery: the man who was our cleaner seemed, at first, rather pleasant and chatty but soon he became a nuisance. He would knock at our door at all hours, asking us if we were pleased with his work (i.e. asking us for a tip) and one day he even tried to walk past me, while I was standing in the doorway, with my wife undressing inside. He often asked us what day we were leaving, then he asked us many times at what time we were leaving. He wanted a precise time, which we told him, finding his question odd but not suspect. The day before we left, he checked again with us that we were leaving at 5 in the morning. Back to this thread in a moment…

During our week there, another strange thing occurred. Our electronic safe malfunctioned literally every day. One some days our code didn’t work, some days the display was dead, and on two occasions the door to the safe was open when we arrived home. Since we got into the habit of taking most of our valuables with us EVERYTIME we left the room (except for bulkier items, like our digital video camera), we were annoyed but that’s it. Each the safe malfunctioned we called the maintenance desk and someone would come by with a key, reset the safe, and we’d start from scratch. Sometimes he’d claim it was the battery. We regret that we didn’t ask for a room change or a new safe. Well, we did actually, but they said it wasn’t possible.

Our last night at the Club Med, we went out to eat with friends. Our shuttle was due to pick us up at five in the morning, so during our final packing at 4am, we noticed that our digital video camera, which had been in the safe, was gone. This camera had PRECIOUS video from the first six months of our son’s life (we hadn’t made a backup -- very stupid indeed) and it was gone, stolen from our safe the evening before while we were out. We were furious and wanted to report the theft, but the twenty-year-old GO we found said we couldn’t make a report, because they had run out of complaint forms. Then he had the nerve to tell us he’d never heard about a theft occurring there before.

We boarded the shuttle -- what else could we do? Thank God we’d had our other valuables with us, otherwise we’d have been robbed dry.

So, in short, it seems to me the maintenance guy with the safe key and our cleaner were working together.

To add insult to injury: when we got back home, I called the club to ask to speak with the chef de village. Wasn’t possible, they said. All they did was give me his email address: to which I sent emails regarding the theft, in detail, and I didn’t even get a response. My wife spoke at length with the Customer Service reps in Paris, and although they were nice, they said nothing could be done -- because we hadn’t filed a report of the theft at the club when it happened! Madness.
This was all four months ago now and I still haven’t heard back from the chef de village.

This was my third visit to a Club Med, and although the other two were quite decent, we won’t be going back to any of them, every again. What a shame and a joke.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Hammamet? Share your experiences!