“maybe 2 stars i.o 4” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #108 of 124 Hotels in Hammamet
rotterdam
“maybe 2 stars i.o 4”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Were to start. When we checked in they tried to charge more than mentioned in the booking. I took a print of the booking so when I showed them they charged the correct prize. The room we had was big but dirty dust clouds everywhere. The only good thing was the fridge which was clean funny enough. The towels where grey and smelled like an old dishcloth. There where other hotel names on these. It seemed that they stole these from another hotel. When you took a shower the floor flooded as there was no shower curtain.
The food was horrible we tried it 2 nights and decided to eat out after that. We did not even bother to have breakfast there. This is a pitty cos Tunesia has got great food.
The receptionist who was working drank water out of a 2 litter bottle and burp loud realy professional behaviour at a 4 * hotel. The manager was smoking in the lobby which means to me that he doesnt care at all about his guests. The staff was not friendly at all. And as mentioned in other reviews the restaurant was a sort of Fawlty Towers with dirty plates, 100 different types of glasses. When you ordered a drink it took ages before you got it. They had to go downstairs to the bar to get it and bring it too your table. The same happenen when you paid they had to go downstairs again for the change and all was banged on the table like it was too much effort.
So my advise is avoid the place if you want to have a nice holiday. There are many better places around to stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Solo
Business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

Due to the extreme rudeness of catering staff, lack of any service and absolutely appalling food – this was the most stressful ‘holiday’ I have ever had. I am well-travelled and have never complained on any holiday before but, from day one, the downright rudeness from staff in the ‘restaurant’ was beyond belief. We were shouted at by the manager of the restaurant on our first morning at breakfast and told it was all finished because we arrived at 9.20am, even though we had been told breakfast finished at 10am. Everything was too much trouble for the catering staff, however they did make a point of hovering far too close, making personal comments and staring to the point of complete embarrassment. I was dressed respectfully but I was constantly harassed by the waiters. They were very sleazy! Filthy table cloths were continually left on tables, hot buffet food was cold because it was left out unheated for 2-3hours, breakfast coffee was always cold for the same reason, fruit juice was something powdery that could remove your tonsils – to be honest there was very little that was actually edible and I can usually eat practically anything. There was also no fruit, no desserts or coffee after dinner. Eventually the rudeness of the waiting staff became unbearable and we had to complain. It was most unpleasant with more shouting from the restaurant manager who made up stories to cover himself. I spoke to others staying in the hotel who were from many different countries and, without knowing my experiences, they all had similar tales to tell. No-one was happy which is a shame because if it was run properly it could be a great place. The rooms are spacious and I would like to say that the cleaning staff were all lovely and worked so hard, we gave them all the dinars we had left. I definitely wouldn’t go back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

My partner & I have just returned from a weeks stay at Villa Noria & I would just like to say how disappointed I am with with this apparently '4 star' hotel.
Upon our arrival we were advised that breakfast was 7-10am however when we arrived in the restaurant at 9.30am the manager rudely told us that we had missed breakfast as if it was an error on our part (our breakfast card actually stated until 10am!) After realising it was their mistake, he arranged for some 'food' to be sent to our room. We receieved 2 cold cups of coffee ( we requested tea), half a pound of butter, some stale bread & croissants. The next day we got up for breakfast in hope of something better- unfortunately the food was just as dire as the previous day. What can I say about the fruit juice? ...radioactive toilet cleaner springs to mind, its a good job I was wearing sunglasses as it appeared to be glowing! We then decided to eat breakfast outside of the hotel for the rest of the holiday, it really was that bad. I mean, the only thing I would eat at breakfast was the french stick, even the cheese was revolting.
Next is the service- it seems as though the young man behind the bar didnt actually want to serve drinks or food. One day I was told 'no food' only to then see another couple at the bar order food. I was then told 'no cocktails' when I tried to order a drink. The bar man was rude and snatched money from my partner whilst he was paying for a drink ( I know this isn't a difference of culture because no other bar/restaurant staff did this)
On one occassion we did manage to get some food ( we had to ask at reception as the bar man blatantly didnt want to do any work) which was recycled breakfast- a piece of french stick with a wedge of butter & the revolting cheese again. Absolutely no effort put in to the food & I had to pay for it this time!
This is most definitely NOT a 4 star hotel, by english standards it was probably a 2 star at best. The food is unclassifiable.
To end on a positive note, the rooms and grounds were fine & the room was cleaned everyday. The pool was also ok but I wouldnt recommend Villa Noria at all.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
stoke-on-trent
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

having read other reviews i was worried about food and quite rightly it was awful we had been to hammamet twice before staying in four stars both times the food was lovely not here unfortunatley breakfast consisted of congealed fried eggs frankfurter sausages the cheapest bread money could buy yoghurt was only available on four occasions no fruit or overripe toxic juice evening meals were even worse we got ripped off with the wine as there is no prices anywhere so beware we were charged 25 dinar another couple 21 i complained and was told it was 24 but was charged 18 that night i was given half bottle of rose by restaurant manager my husband complained about food it did improve but only i night we were half board but ended up eating out for the last week the rooms are lovely and the pool and grounds beautiful our room was cleaned every day i would say this could be a lovely hotel its position and beach i would recocomend to anyone but standards are definately not 4 star and the food is 2 star also in yasmine hammamet you had to have your wits about you we got fleeced in local shop for water on our first day and the food was hit and miss in the restaurants there .We enjoyed our holiday but only because we decided to see the funny side but please do not go to this hotel expecting four star service becuse you wont get it!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Malmo, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

How can this close to a boutique style hotel, be missing in some of the most vital parts? Buy some decent linen, before it is to late my friends!

Arriving to the hotel area was really promising. The buildings that are neatly built and lovely spread out on the campus, makes you feel warm at heart. The main building made me associate with a french dessert fortress in a romantic way of looking at it.

Little by little the poor standard is unveiling. The room were fantastic, spacious, filled with light and air. But here and there the floor was dirty, the dining table not properly clean. Going to bed, you could scent a foul odeur of nasty chemicals.

Listen, you may call me crazy but I washed the linen in the bathtub. Some how I regret that, experiencing the color of the washing water when it went dirty brown... why?

In the restaurant the servietts and tablecloth where stained and often with holes in it... why?

I could go on complaining about a lot more but I choose to stop. Overall i still think this is a splendid hotel BUT that is mainly the buildings and interior. The daily cleaning and service needs a make over!
And do it now!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We stayed 2 weeks, wife & 2 kids (5 & 8 yrs old), booked via booking.com. There it was advertised as a 4 star hotel, and it also says so right on the hotel. But this is NOT a 4 star hotel. The hotel itself (accommodation) is more like a 3 star, and the food & service a 2 star at best.

Because this is a negative review, I want to explain a bit where I'm coming from (when I read a negative review, I always wonder if it's not written by some poor schmuck who paid his $100 and then expects the royal treatment). The problem is that I paid quite a bit, and I got quite a lot less than what was advertised. I'm a guy who does every year a 2 week motorcycle tour, all over the place, and sleep in whatever hotel I happen to be next to at nightfall (from 4 star hotels in France, Italy, Austria to nights slept in the sleeping bag, on the beach in Italy - highly recommended, btw, although the other people in the group did not quite like it. But I digress).
What I'm trying to say is that I'm not picky, but I do expect to get what was advertised and what I've paid for. That was definitely not the case here; this was a complete rip-off (unfortunately, this can be said about the overall experience in Tunisia, but that's another story).

Our experience is exactly opposite from what I've read in the other reviews (which makes me wonder if they are not fake). My assumption is that either the management/ownership has changed recently, or they have some serious cash flow problems and they scaled down dramatically the food & service quality. I cannot explain the other reviews mentioning "french / Scandinavian style" or "french cuisine" unless they were written by people who don't know what they are talking about.

We liked:
-hotel is small, nicely laid out (small buildings in a complex which give you a quiet time & intimacy)
-the pool is nice, clean and fairly large
-you walk about 500m to the beach, which is small, cozy and intimate, not one of those mass tourism thingies with plastic umbrellas & chairs perfectly aligned for the German tourists. Sand is prefect, very clean, superb texture. Water is very clean, beautiful color, very warm, and it's shallow for at least 50m so you have no problems letting the kids play unsupervised in the water.
-right on the beach there's a small restaurant (the only one unfortunately if you want some variation) called "Jour et Nuit" (="day & night") and the food there is quite excellent, service is excellent, prices very very decent. Highly recommended, although the food selection is small (which is why I mentioned you may want some variation; unfortunately there is none around)

We disliked (a lot):
-we were asked to pay for the stay upfront (never ever happened to me, and I've been in a LOT of hotels). Ok, bizarre, but not a biggie.
-the rooms were never cleaned in the 2 weeks we stayed there, nor were the bedsheets changed. Ok, also not a biggie, we are clean and tidy and don't really mind that too much (but it's not what you'd expect from a 4 star)
-the finishes in the rooms & bathroom are quite low scale, more of a 3 star than 4 star hotel
-we got clean towels every day left in front of the door (we actually did not need them changed daily, but ok) but the trouble is that the towels were of the cheapest quality and really old and very used, sometimes with shreds.
-meals (we had breakfast & dinner) were always buffet style, with little variation from one day to the other and very poor selection
-the food was of the cheapest sort, and badly cooked. Breakfast had the cheapest local bologna & the cheapest local cheese (always the same) that you could get from the local supermarket. Croissants were very often under baked. Juices ("orange" and "lemon") were in fact made of the purest chemicals money can buy (tasted awful). Extremely strange for a country were at least oranges grow all over the place (don't know about lemons, but I assume those too). In general in Tunisia when you asked for orange juice or lemonade, they offered Fanta (as a side, we had the same issue last year in the Greek isle of Skyathos, where we had to teach the bartenders in 3 different restaurants to make lemonade by squeezing a real lemon and not by opening a bottle of Fanta; but I digress again).
-I had much better Tunisian olives in Toronto, Canada than in this Tunisian hotel. The black olives were in fact Greek olives from the can, the cheapest sort you get in the supermarket. But they ran out of them in the last 4 days of our stay anyway, so there you go, problem solved (how the hell to you run out of olives in Tunisia, anyway?)
-food was recycled from one meal to the other. At dinner you would recognize the boiled eggs from breakfast, now cut in half with a bit of mayo or ketchup on them. Lunch is not available, there is some pizza available on the pool side. We order such pizza once and it had on it the cheap bologna & cheese and eggs left over from breakfast (ever had pizza with bologna on it? I just had, it sucks, trust me)
-the only choice of beer is a local one (it was not too bad) - but not what you expect from a 4 star
-we asked for white wine - there was none. Only red and rose, and of those only 1 selection, a local one (not too bad, but quite pricey at 7+ euro a small 275cl bottle considering that it's local) - not what you expect from a 4 star except for the price :)
-there was no salt available at the tables. There was only one, so you had to hunt it down among the 20 or so tables. When we asked for some, once they came with salt on a small plate, another time they brought it in an egg holder. Not that I mind too much, but not what you expect from a 4 star
-there were no glasses on the table. They came only if you ordered something to drink; we were 4 people and they came with 3 glasses. We asked for a 4th one, and the waiter had to hunt for another glass on other tables (how do you run out of glasses in a restaurant?). He came back with one and it was cracked. We did not mind that too much, and then noticed that each of the 4 glasses was different. Do you expect that from a 4 star? I don't.
-I've seen the maitre d' at breakfast getting a glass from those for the guests, filling it with the chemical "orange" juice, drinking it, then putting the glass BACK among the clean ones.
-we had issues getting cutlery to the table (fortunately my 8 years old son learned where the waiters were getting them from and started to go get them himself for all of us), but sometimes they ran out of clean cutlery so you had to wait for a knife to be washed.

Overall, in terms of food & service, it felt as if we crashed on some poor bachelor relative, who has to scramble to feed us with whatever he finds in his fridge / pantry. Quite pathetic. We never complained (we are not the types that make a lot of fuss) but we left feeling ripped off. If it wasn't for the beautiful beach & great sea, this vacation would have been a complete depressing flop, and a fairly expensive one too.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

We are just back from ten days at Villa Noria and have to say overall we had a fab time. I will tell you everything. Villa noria is made up of villas mainly round the lovely pool, rooms are spacious, clean and air conditioned. Staff are friendly and lovely to the children, food is buffet style breakfasts and evening meals (not always to everyones taste but always something for everyone) Lunch is available by order and there is pool service for drinks.

The beach is lovely and not too far away.
Villa Noria is the furthest hotel away from all the action but there are taxis, noddy trains and horse and carriage to help with all the walking but even with three children in tow we managed it! The marina is lovely, the medina is fun (although expensive compared to the shops) and there are loads of restaurants around.

You may get a little bit of hassle from people trying to pretend they are your waiter, or in the medina they just try to get you to go in there shops or from the Jasmine sellers... but we found a simple no thank you or maybe later worked well. The Jasmine sellers are children who try and give you beautiful bunches of Jasmine for a lillte money. bless them .. couldn't imagine sending my sons to the streets for money.

There is no evening entertainment at the hotel... some people found this a downside but we made our own entertainment.

The only bad thing i can tell you is that we had money taken out of our room, we arrived late at night and didn't get a safe immediately, we took every except the childrens wallets out with us and when we got back there was £10 missing from one and £20 from another.. so don't leave your valuables out!! We told reception but manager didn't even come to see us, we didn't persue it as we wanted to double check the monet wasn't at home and we couldn't prove anything anyway. I honestly don't think the cleaners would have done it .. they were so nice. so lesson learnt... safe immediately.. it is a poor country at the end of the day. (o and the same five drinks at pool never once cost the same!!) I think i couple of extra cheely dinar here and there for some!!

This area is a tourist area so if but there are loads of trips available if you want to go on them.

Overall all five of us loved it and i would recommend it and thank all the staff for a lovely holiday.. that is except the one who took my childrens spending money!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Residence Villa Noria? Share your experiences!