“Nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 124 Hotels in Hammamet
London, United Kingdom
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

I stayed there for 4 days before 2009 and by that time it was a nice and good hotel to stay, to enjoy the beach and relax with quality. I only stayed there for four days because I did a tour around the country and stayed in other hotels in the desert (3*hotels that were very poor but nice). This is a 4* hotel and provides a service accurate to what it is.
Professional staff, good cleaning, good buffet, good services in general. If you have to wake-up at 4am or 5am they will have breakfast ready for you along with all the attentions you need. If you need to exchange money they can do it for you at the front desk.
The swimming-pool is really nice!

The only but is they gave me a nice room on the first 3 days but no view at all (my view was for a tennis court and some garbage bins) and only on the last day I was changed to a suite with pool and beach view: stunning! shame I had to wake-up at 4 am to catch my flight.

It was a nice stay still some Spanish customers had a problem with their rooms. They putted 2 couples on a suite because they didn't have enough rooms for everybody. Apparently it was a booking problem. Not a pleasant thing I must say. I don't no how I would react in such a situation.

My experience was positive and I would come back!

• Stayed December 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

Me and my 19 year old cousin stayed here for a week at the beginning of july 2010, we arrived after a very early flight, you cant change your money before you go to tunisia so you have to do that when you get to the hotel, however the exchange didnt open till 3.30 and we arrived just after 12. However the staff are extremly welcoming and will put food and drink on a tab for you if you havent got the cash present, they bring everything to you and will not let oyu lift a finger, beware of the creepy photographer guys, some of them come across too friendly and dont like to take no for an answer. The weather was scorching at this time of the year and i would have to consider going a little later in the year if i was to go back, the rooms were nice although there was no clip to hold the shower head, this was trivial. the rooms were kept very clean. It is a very quiet area not a place for couples wanting to have abit of nightlife, lovely marina just a few minutes away and marina palace has its own section of beach which was a very nice touch, nice to walk about at night but be careful of people trying to sell stuff and pull you into shops. very lovely area

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

we had been transfered from bel air hotel, this hotel was gorgeous, food was delicious, nicest staff ever in the few years i have been going abroad, bedroom was fairly large, which was perfect for the 2 of us, maid service everyday(change of towels etc) not much entertainment at night , i think it was 4 out of the 7 nights there was entertainment but would def go there again :)

Surrey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

We got a late cheap deal to this hotel and didn't quite know what to expect of either it or Tunisia. It's a little dated and tired and although my husband found fault with this I found it rather endearing, regardless it's certainly kept clean and tidy, our room was thoroughly cleaned daily by quite possibly the smiliest chambermaid ever. Bed was huge and super comfy- although I did hear some older guests complaining that they were a little hard, fresh towels daily, complimentry toiletries etc. We stayed halfboard and rather liked the food, although we're not fussy eaters however I can imagine that if you were you may not find the offerings quite as appealing. There is a large choice of hot dishes, fresh salads, bread etc many far tastier than they appear, and the most delicious selection of desserts every evening. Pool was lovely, sun loungers rather tired, pool side music a little hit and miss- mostly Enimen and James Blunt whilst we were there and yes if you spend the day by the pool the building work taking place next door is not ideal (get yourself to the beach). Service was good in fact I couldn't fault it, everything appeared to run like clockwork. However avoid the young chap with the camera unless you and your partner are happy to get yourselves in super cheesy cringe-worthy poses that you can then buy copies of to show all your friends(?!), as much as he tried he didn't get us! The resort itself was lovely, beautiful marina surround by lots of restaurants and cafes, beach nice enough although you do get hassled to buy various things, fruit jewellery, day trips etc. The hotel was a very short walk to the centre of the resort however my husband would have liked to have been a little more central and there is lots of impressive looking hotels along the sea front. Overall we had a lovely relaxing time and would recommend both the resort and the hotel for a bargin break however there is one drawback (which I imagine is the same throughout tunisia)- there was absolutely no nightlife beyond our hotel so the evenings were a little dull although the hotel did provide entertainment for a number of evenings- not really our thing though.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

On arrival the hotel seemed ok, nice lobby area, the room was ok, HOWEVER...

1) Staff - shocking! I know there is a train station nearby where can get to Tunis/Sousse and many other places. The reception denied this and said I had to take their own taxis everywhere, I said well I know there is a train station and they promised me there was not. I asked why they were blatantly lying to me, which again they denied. To get to the local wildlife park they quoted me 50 Dinar return in their cab. The train was 10 Dinar return for 2 people. They also said there was a complimentary room to take a shower on our final day as had to check out at 12 and not leaving till 7, this turned out to be a toliet on the 3rd floor with a skanky shower in it. Do not trust a word they say and if you are unfortunate enough to go to Yasmine get a good guide book or do some research about getting to places as it will save you a fortune.

2) Flies/Smoke - Everywhere! you cannot eat outside without being surrounded by dirty flies, landing on your food etc. You cannot eat inside without being surrounded by dirty smokers - You can't win here trust me.

3) Food - 1st day it was ok and then pretty much Same, Same, Same every day, Chicken or Turkey everyday which became drier as the week went on, occasionally there is a treat such as undercooked burgers which please avoid as the stomach pains are not good at all. Breakfast, exactly the same everyday, sometimes if there were potatos left over from last nights dinner you will see them there as well - enjoy :-)

4) Hotel Rules - I was thrown out of a lounging area for drinking a drink i purchased outside of the hotel, a bottle of coke which costs 0.8 Dinar in a shop 1 min from the hotel. The hotel charges 2.7 Dinar for exactly the same drink. I asked what the problem was, the idiot said speak with reception, I said I dont want to speak the reception as I dont have a probelm, you speak with them. The hotel is basically run by fools. You cannot take your own water into the dining area as again they are waiting to rip you off with their prices.

5) Cleanliness - Although our room was ok and fairly clean it was not the same around the other areas of the hotel. My Girlfriend visited the toilets in the lobby area only to be greated by Diarrhoea on the floor which may well have been the results of the burgers (see above) ok not the hotels fault you may be thinking, but to still be there 2 hours later?

6) Yasmine Hammamet - AWFUL!! and very very smelly! absolutley nothing to do, nightlife - there is none. Well one "English bar" which is about as English as Mikel Arteta. Not that i'm a fan of going to English bars when abroad but nothing else to do. Hotel Entertainment! haha, promised but certainly did not deliver the goods. Shopping - there are lots of shops, all selling the same fake goods, the local people are rude when you say no thanks to going inside. They make up prices everywhere, they seem to think we are stupid and will pay anything they ask. In one restaurant I asked for a bottle of water and he made up a price. I said where is that on the menu as it shows no drink at that price you just made up. Also check your change, a few times I was 1 or 2 Dinar down. I travelled to Sousse 1 day on the non existant train service, it took an hour and was a much better place, still full of flies and smoke but has a little bit of life and a nicer beach. also its nearer to the airport for a quick getaway!

All in all I would not recommend this hotel or anywhere in Yasmine Hammamet, if you are thinking to visit Tunisia go to Sousse, which in fairness seemed a lot better. I'm not even a fussy person and sometimes when i read the reviews I think they must have been written by someone a bit stuck up, but this is all the truth. I have backpacked in hostels around the world and Tunisia is by far the worst country I have ever seen, its a week of my life I cannot get back and that upsets me!

I would not recommend Yasmine to an enemy let alone a friend.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

We were changed to this hotel by thomas cook the day before we flew out

We found the hotel to be very good and well situated a short walk to the beach and shops

The staff were really friendly and helpful

The hotel was always clean and tidy

The only gripe would be that light bulbs that were broke were not replaced

All in i would recommend this hotel i liked it that much im looking at booking again for next year

• Stayed October 2010
mid-devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Stayed at Marina Palace after being relocated from Hotel BEL AIR. This hotel was our first time to Tunisia and was set in a very good practical location mins away from the harbour main shopping tourist town center (with ample cashpoints post office chemist supermarket and long street of the usual tourist shops/pubs/resturants and beach), The hotel also had its own private beach free to use to all guests.

Money: Tunisia dinars £1 = 2 dinar so basically ( £100 = 200 td)
You can only get local currency in Tunisia, so take sterling/Travellers cheques to exchange at the hotel or use the cashpoints visa/ matercard etc
The average wage is £6 a day £300 a month for a manual worker so tips are always welcome but dont get ripped off.

As other people have stated, Tunisia dosent have areas for smokers so it takes a bit to get used to eating whilst people smoke openly inside resturants etc, The rooms itself was smoke free (banned) although there was ashtrays supplied in the room!
The food was ok but on the half board basis, served as a buffet style, but as we stayed for two weeks did become very repeatative....

The hotel has not much entertainment of its own so i would say you would struggle if you wants lots to keep kids happy, occassionaly they put on a show in the bar/lounge but was more geared for adults.

We went on a few trips with Thomas cook, Martin the rep was very helpful but was only around at certain times. We used the hotel as a base and ventured out most days.

Trips we did.

Medina ramble: jump in a yellow taxi agree a price (cost arount 6td) and go to the old medina and catch to street train back to the new medina (5td each)

Sahara Explorer : 175td (£87.50) 2 Day trip with a over night stay at a different hotel, a long trip involving a coach plenty cafe/ toilet stops and tourist sites on way, also you do get to ride a camel on the sahara on day one, (camel ride costs extra £12.50 each) Early start the next morning (4am in our case) to get to the salt lakes to watch the sunrise. Working your way back up to our hotel.

Anchors away :35td (£17) half a day with simple lunch on a pirate ship with music and entertainment, lucky enough we spotted couple dolphins.

African dream: 65 td (£32.50) afternoon visit to small zoo and evening meal and African music drums and dancers/entertainment
Alzahara : 80 td (£40) purpose built tourist attraction with small mock examples of african life, a mock wedding and feast afterwards before a laser and history show.

Lots of other trips available for each day. (see martin the rep)

if you want small snacks water etc if you head out the hotel and turn left 100yds there is a small supermarket selling 1.5 ltrs of water for .400 (20p) and on a little more a fixed price shop for tourist shopping most shops are haggling only so use the fixed price for a idea of true costs. At the main roundabout you will see a Supermarket under the Blue ice ice rink selling more choice and beer/wine at fraction of the hotel prices.
Tunisia is totally safe anytime of the day just be prepared to say no to the shop keepers if they try to get you in their shops as you pass....easy to say but they are very good at dragging you in, no hassle in the fixed price shops.

Enjoy your time in Tunisia, its a lovely place, but be aware of your personal belongings cameras, wallets, etc when in built up areas pickpockets sadly work the streets if your not on your guard.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Marina Palace? Share your experiences!