“A bad experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Medina Solaria & Thalasso

You added Medina Solaria & Thalasso to your Saves list
Medina Solaria & Thalasso
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Rue de la Medina | Yasmine Hammamet, Hammamet 8056, Tunisia   |
Ranked #4 of 124 Hotels in Hammamet
Crewe, Cheshire
“A bad experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We went for a late break in November and were unlucky with the weather. That can be forgiven with the quality of the rooms and the amazing view of the sea! The bed was huge and pretty comfy. Food was above average for Tunisia. Most staff that we encountered were lovely, but of course they are going to be when they are expecting tips. You don't give tips and you get basic service. I don't have a problem with tipping, but they way they swarmed around you on your last day just for the tip was uncomfortable. Our waiter was Heshmi, and he was lovely! Never let our glass get empty, remembered what we drank etc. HOWEVER!!! The animation team!!!!! They weren't Thomas Cook, they worked for the hotel. One in particular war called Cada??? I think? Downright rude at times, wanted to make everything about sex!! We all walked out of the bar at one point it was so bad. If I had the chance to return, I would not, and it would be a lot to do with this!! Also, the pestering that you get on the streets from people claiming to be your waiter from your hotel, and getting angry when you didn't go with them. It was frightening, and if Tunisia wants to increase tourism, they need to clamp down on these people. Would not go to Tunisia again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have visited this hotel a couple of times and I have to say how amazing the staff in the hotel are. Kader is great and kept everyone happy always interacting with the guests. This hotel is very central location, it is just past the medina - near the waterpark. If you are looking for a relaxing break away then this is defenitely a good hotel to stay in.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Luton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We had 1 week stay in this hotel from 5th-12th October. The trip was booked via low cost holidays. Flight by Tunis Air was about 1 hour late but a lot of locals on the flight were not much bothered and it turned out that it was a norm with that airline.
Transfer time from airport to the hotel in Yasmine hamammet was about 45 minutes.
We reached hotel at about 1130 pm in the night.
The process of checking in was quick and were given a room. We headed towards the restaurant but diner time was over long time ago. The staff in the restaurant still served us with water and fresh salad. In the night could not see much outside as we had booked a sea view room, though in the morning we noted that our room was not a sea view room. The safe in the room was not working ( safe facility in the room is not free and charged at 3 dinars (about 1.2£) per day).
The reception staff changed our room and gave us a sea view room and also managed to get safe going (safe had same problem in this room as well).
Even in October, it can get quite warm in Tunisia- the air conditioning was struggling to cool the room down, therefore we had to leave our balcony door open to have fresh sea breeze (thankfully our room was on 4th floor, hence no issues with safety)
Food is good with plenty of choice and a different menu every day. As a part of package we had choice to have one diner in one of their international menu ( done in different hotels)- we went for Oriental- was a bit disappointing as it was not buffet and had very small portions.
Pool area was good with a lot of sunbeds available, pool staff was very helpful and polite.
The animation team were energetic and had different things going on every evening.
We booked hamam and massage session as a couple in the hotel. It was a good experience other than that they tried to offer us massage separately rather than a couple but we insisted to have massage together. We had it at the end though had to wait.
Transfer back to the airport was swift and thankfully return flight was on time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We arrived at the chich khan hotel by 12 we were then asked to fill out a form with our details.we then had to wait as our room was being cleaned but no one was giving us answer as to why our room wasent ready.The receptionist then told us that we couldnt go up to our rooms untill 2pm as that was the check in time which was slightly inconvenient as we had a baby and my daughter who is a wheel chair user with us.we then went up to our room which was supposed to have adapted bathroom .the toilet and main bathroom were seperate and the toilet was to high for my daughter to use .we then had to use a standard room untill we had our wellcome meeting.The next morning after meeting our rep she was able to find a different hotel which had better adapted rooms.we then moved to the hotel solaria which was nice and staff were very welcoming .
The hotel says it 5stars but should be given 4stars the rooms had no mini bar facilites and the tv had very limited channels.the restaurant is nice but alot of the dishes and desserts are repeated throughout the week.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

The hotel on the surface looks ok, it is starting to look slightly tired and could do with some up grades. We had two weeks and to be honest we are both looking forward to going home.
We came on a early flight but when we arrived at the hotel we had to sit around waiting for our room for two hours, by this time we had been up for over 24 hours so we just wanted to chill out and get unpacked, this was slightly annoying and considering hotel was
Half empty !

Whilst we sat there waiting for our room they have a couple of gentlemen selling the spa packages , well pushing the packages this was not welcomed coming to Tunisia we knew the culture and that they are pushy but didn't expect this in the hotel but they don't ask once they ask at least 4 times a day every day, in the end my husband went on a quad bike tour and I decided to go for a massage ( don't bother !! It was the must unrelaxing massage I have had, when I was in the room another person entered ! Not nice when you hardly have any clothes on , all I could hear was the sales man out side trying to push more packages on people and also the horses going up and down the street. There was no back ground music or candles ect. You also get a cheeper deal up the road which looks a nice establishment
Car

The weather was touch and go so we hired a car again don't book this through the rep we haggled a good price with the rental place which is about 500 meters away on the front. It worked out we saved about £20 a day !!. If you are a confident driver Tunisia is almost fun to drive in as you dodge the vast amount of taxis and pedestrians that just pull out and walk out in front of your car, they are mad drivers but highly recommend El Jem.

Food:
The first week the food was good there were more guest in the hotel so slightly more variety Tunisian night was good but week two was not good, the guests had halved so had the variety we ended up with the same food every day almost we found ourselves filling up on bread as that was lovely and fresh every day.

Pool
When we booked the hotel we were told there was an outside pool which there is but if you go out of season they do not turn the pool on so where the jets should be on and the bubbles there not, we were in the pool a lot but ended up fishing all the dead bugs out ourselves , they did not clear the pool out and there was a lot of leafs and bugs in there. We were also told there was an inside pool which there is but it isn't a swimming pool it is the spa pool which you can only use for free certain times of the day between 1 and 3 lunch times and then 6 and 7 dinner time ! When you are shown around they take you when the pool is on the bubbles are working and the water fall when it is free this is all turned off ! If you want to use the pool any other time it will cost you around £20 !!

Rooms
The rooms are big and cleaned daily with fresh linen and clean towels but we had problems with our water for around 4 days where we didn't have any hot water so Maintenance kept having to come up then we ended up having yellow water which was horrible ! Apart from that we had a clean room and clean towel daily and the cleaners are extremely friendly.

Staff
Over all the staff friendly the first week we had a waiter called Maliek he was lovely and very attentive, also the women on reception are
Friendly and chatty , but the animation staff they are brilliant they are always smiling and helpful and wanting to get you involved with out being to pushy !

Overall
We wouldn't come back to Tunisia as we found the people to be really pushy even sellers on the street and we didn't enjoy that side, the hotel in season I bet is a hive of activity but out of season it is a different matter. Were we knew it was out of season but having the pool on would have been nice as we were still in it and having more variety on the food side would have also been good that is why we have only awarded it 3 stars.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Stourport on Severn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This has to be one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at, from the moment we arrived to the time we left. Staff were always helpful, the food was always very good with a superb selection and the rooms were big and very clean. Bathrooms were lovely, very good shower nice deep bath and plenty of instant HOT water. The sauna package was also worth the visit.
If you get the opportunity you must go on the Sahara trip, it is a long way 700 miles in 2 days and it is hard work. but the rewards are worth every minute. To ride through the dessert on a camel and race over sand dunes in a 4x4 was amazing as was visiting the original set of Star Wars. The stallholders were so funny here, so good natured, we are posting a you tube video called "Half price John" take a look, we laughed so much with them it made our holiday, as unfortunately the weather was not kind to us and it was overcast most of the time. We had room 4002 which was quiet with nice views of the mountains to the left and the sea to the right. Some visitors that has rooms near the lift said they could hear the bell when it arrived on the floor but I think that was the only complaint. I promised I would say a big thank you to Malek who kept the wine flowing and there was another lovely waiter but sadly we did not get his name, but thanks to you also for always finding us a table by the window and attending to our every need with a very cheery smile, but never being intrusive. We will definitely go back again, perhaps a little earlier in the year.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Private
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Misc: I'm just going to give a short summary as I'm sure you don't want a massive tl;dr story.

This is apparently '5 stars' but to be honest I'd say its 4 if anything, I know its in a poor country which I suppose I can see why its rated 5 but like I said, personally I think it's 4 star quality.

There were lots of Russians and Germans at the hotel and I mean a lot... So if you speak either one of those languages then I suppose it'll be more enjoyable for you if you understand what they say.

There are two computers in the lobby for those who need to access a computer whilst there but as said in my Wifi part, the connection is unstable.

You'll need to wear a wrist band whilst at the hotel to show that you're a legit guest. However, when going out of the hotel be sure to hide the wrist band as some people may pose as someone from the hotel that supposedly knows you...

GOOD: The food was very good, it was something that I was kind of worried about as I imagined that some of it would be undercooked and so on. But I was very wrong. The food that they serve in the main part of the hotel is very nice. It's well cooked and fresh.

They serve things like ham, chicken, cheese pizza (in square shapes), as well as pancakes at breakfast, big doughnut rings which are delicious, salads, fruit, fresh bread, and so on... They also serve small cakes and ice cream at lunch and dinner time.

As for drinks, at breakfast they serve orange juice which I think had quite a chemical taste and look to it, there's also coke, diet coke, lemonade, beer, vodka, whiskey etc...

Swimming Pools: They are clean and fairly spacious. They also have a slide there which isn't really that special but I will say be careful going down on the slide as there isn't really much of a slope at the beginning of it of which can hurt you a bit. There are plenty of sunbeds too, some parts also have a umbrella for a shade. There are lifeguards that keep an eye on people here and there if they're doing things that they're not supposed to.

There are three swimming pools, one for kids, a large one, and a smaller sized pool.

They also do this exercise+dance thing or whatever, which reminds me of the music that they play out in the swimming pool area. It was typical club/caribbean styled songs. They weren't too bad, but they were rather repetitive as some of them played every day...

Maid service: They have maids which will give you new towels, as well as sorting your bed out. They do a pretty good job. But they also put down rose pettles in the bathroom or do a swan out of towels which is pretty nice. I'm guessing it's something part of the hotel or a tradition?

The activities I did with my family were quad biking and going out on a pirate ship which is something that the hotel can offer you to go to so be sure to check out that.

The staff were also very nice and also helpful, they just about know English properly. Enough to understand your enquiries. They also speak Russian and German as well from what I noticed however I don't know how well they speak it in those languages.

Security: You need to have keycards in order to access rooms. They also have a small safe of which requires a physical key and a keycode to unlock. You do however need to pay for it. I forgot how much it was but I think it was 20 dinar per day?

Bathroom: Well... If anyone is interested the shower is good, its a bit hard to adjust temperature wise but surprisingly it was good so the shower is fine if anyone is worried about it being too hot or too cold or whatever but its not recommended for anyone over 6ft 2 as it's in a bathtub and it only goes up to a certain height.

FLAWS: The Wifi is unstable as it doesn't work most of the time and can be extremely slow loading webpages. Sometimes it doesn't even work... Sometimes it just stops and then works whenever it wants to. The only thing I'd say its good for is checking things like Facebook and basically apps not webpages and it is ONLY available in the lobby and outside in the middle. It's unfortunately not available in the rooms.

Now some of you may be thinking 'oh come on, it's hotel wifi of course its going to be slow!' well, no... It was unbelievably slow. Samsung phones also have a bit of a problem connecting to it as well, so beware of that...

But I can confirm that the Wifi is thankfully free so you don't have to pay for it!

The pool table, air hockey, pinball and the rest of the entertainment machines sometimes do not work and can take your money and not work after putting your money in so beware of that. The pinball can also get stuck and is impossible to get unstuck. So multiple times I had to ask the reception to call up the people who can repair them to make them work...

There's also a lack of things to do. Now of course when on holiday you generally want to do nothing and just chill out in the sun all day but when it becomes night time you can either go and have a drink, or go watch TV in your room of which has around 10 channels on a CRT TV, Fox Movies, BBC, some german channels and some other things, or watch a bunch of people dance on a stage outside in the middle...

BEWARE: The alcohol that they serve MAY give you a bad stomach.

The water is also undrinkable from taps (if you drink it you're going to have a bad day...) so be sure to get water bottles from the bar!

They have special restaurants as well of which you need to book for, I only went to one of them and I cant remember which one it was but it wasn't really worth it and the food was disappointing. It was downstairs out from the entertainment machines.

There are also two stores on the first floor that sell items and sweets, however I believe most of the stuff in there were fakes so be sure not to be ripped off.

Smoking is prohibited, however people seem to walk through the lobby with a cigarette anyway... But don't worry the lobby doesn't stink of cigarettes.

Due to some stupid law aircon is not allowed on past September so it was difficult to sleep at night as it was quite humid I suppose...

I think I've covered everything, I probably forgot to put some things in there but overall it's a nice hotel and is worth staying there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Medina Solaria & Thalasso? Share your experiences!