“Worst stay ever!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 124 Hotels in Hammamet
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
“Worst stay ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Maybe this hotel was a 5 star hotel 20 years ago but now it's not even worth 1 star! The facility is literally falling a part and is very dirty. As proof of it I took some pictures. (Unfortunately it's impossible to report the awful smell throughout the hotel, but believe me, nothing worse than that in my life and I've been traveling A LOT!)
The room was big but there was no king or queen size bed, just 2 single beds one beside the other (with a space in between). The curtains were broken, the mini-bar was empty, the TV must have been 20 years old too, the safe didn't work, everything in the room was old and dirty.
The bathroom was big but the toilet flusher was broken and the brusher must have been 20 years old too. Also the ban was broken. Towels were old as well.
All definitely not a 5 stars quality.
Besides this, the food was disgusting and, as fortunately in Hammamet restaurants are quite cheap we spend the last 3 days eating out despite our all-in. The hotel was supposed to have several restaurants and bars but as a matter of fact, because of low season there was only 1. The travel agency forgot to tell us.
Breakfast til 10am (not really a holiday time) and dinner til 9pm!!!! And in both cases stuff was taken away from the buffet 15min before closure.
Another "surprise" was that there was no free internet in the rooms, the gym and the SPA weren't free as well. Fortunately the crew working at the hotel saved this very sad experience, as they were (almost) all very kind and gentle. So in the end we could use the gym for free...well have a look to the pics of the gym and see yourself if that would be worth paying for!!!!
Then I had a visit to the SPA, must say the people working there are very kind, but the sauna and turkish bath were rather cold!
It's a shame this place is sold as a 5 star.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
IberostarHoteles, Quality Manager at Iberostar Saphir Palace, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

Although we deeply lament reading that your stay at our IBEROSTAR Saphir Palace hotel did not live up to your expectations, we thank you for reaching out to us and notify us of your overall holiday experience among us; please be assured that your comments have been shared with the appropriate managers for further review.

For IBEROSTAR thorough cleaning is an absolute must and we follow strict protocols to guarantee satisfying results regarding hygiene and cleanliness. For future occasions we strongly encourage you to contact our reception in case you find any shortage being to us of prime importance to offer total confidence in this area and we will be enchanted to adjust any situation which is not in accordance with our established standards.

Moreover, we regret not being informed about all the imperfections you describe in the room we accommodated you in as we would have been able to intervene in no time; as per standard all rooms are thoroughly revised by our heads of housekeeping and a member of our management team to ensure that everything is functional and up to standard before assigning a room to new guests; clearly we were not performing to our usual standard on this occasion and send you our sincerest apologies.

The passion for gastronomy being one of the prime pillars of our company, we were saddened to read that we were not able to meet your culinary wishes, our Executive Chefs strive to surprise our guests with a high standard gastronomy and the possibility to savor the best of the local cuisine as well as the finest international delights prepared from ingredients of prime quality.

Related to the internet access, as you can see on our website, a full description of this service is reported; there is an extra charge for the cable internet access in the rooms however the Wi Fi service is free for all guests at any time in our lobby area.

Last but not least, we understand reading your review that apparently your were not properly informed about our hotel’s services upon reservation and encourage you for a future occasion to visit our website or to contact our call center from where we can offer you a personalized booking guidance and give you all the relevant information for you to choose the IBEROSTAR hotel that best meets your holiday needs and wishes.

Please be assured that we took your comments into consideration and that they will help us to improve our services. We really thank you for your time and despite the issues you have raised following your stay, we hope that IBEROSTAR will remain an option for your next holiday and that we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our company in the near future.

IBEROSTAR Saphir Palace

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2014

Went here for a week at half term with my husband & 11 yr old daughter. Our room was nice and spacious, food was good but the hotel itself and the staff seemed tired. In 7 days we only had 2 nights of entertainment which was not brilliant. The best night was when the entertainments dressed up for Halloween, the kids loved it. The lifeguard who dishes out the towels was a miserable soul - refusing to give a towel out if you had did not have a card or a dirty towel. The bar staff were awful and only brought you drinks if you tipped them. If you are thinking of visiting Tunisia for the first time and you are looking for a relaxing holiday think again. From the minute you step out of your hotel you will be constantly pestered to buy. On the street, down the beach, at the marina etc they will want you to buy cigarettes, fruit, jewellery, baby turtles (no joke) blankets etc. If you go shopping there will be guys outside who are paid to get you into the shop then once in the shop they pounce on you getting you to spend. This, for me was the worst part of the holiday and was quite intimadating for myself and my daughter. Most of our money was spent in the "fixed price" shops were they don't hassle you. On the whole too many negatives and not enough pluses which is a shame

• Stayed October 2014
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2014 via mobile

First time visitors to Tunisia. Generally area very tired and grubby but hotel very reasonable. Had room upgrade overlooking the sea. Food good. Room clean. Deposit required for pool towels. Shops and marine in easy walking distance. Would go back again. All inclusive 7 nights for less than a weekend in London. Airport had long queues in and out.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
IberostarHoteles, Quality Manager at Iberostar Saphir Palace, responded to this review, November 10, 2014
Dear Eileen,

Thank you very much for choosing our IBEROSTAR Saphir Palace hotel for your first visit to Tunisia and for the time you spent to review your overall experience among us.

We are glad to read your satisfaction with the cleanliness of the room we accommodated you in as well as with the quality of our buffets and our location, facing the beach and with a wide array of dining and leisure options on our doorstep; our guests’ satisfaction is our main goal and we are glad we were able to deliver on this occasion.

Thank you for making us your choice hotel and for the courtesy of your time; we remain at your entire disposal for any request you might have regarding coming vacations and encourage you to contact our call center to help you choose your next IBEROSTAR holiday among a wide range of beautiful destinations worldwide.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2014

Booked a late Oct half term break with my 16yr old daughter. Was very disappointed by the standards of this hotel, this is not a 5*. I appreciate the star system varies country to country, which in its self is off putting to the consumer when wanting to book a higher end hotel! It was the end of the season & the hotel & staff were tired! I am still a full paying guest & shouldn't have to take this into consideration when I book!!! But I will next time!!! I will not return & sadly not to Tunisia either. The hotel was only a quarter full! I was quite put off by the pressures to purchase when just wishing to experience the culture when out site seeing or shopping. I was very put off by the Spa in the hotel & the style they took in trying to get me to book a treatment! Therefore I took my custom to another hotel who did not 'bother' me & let me relax, after all I was on holiday!!
The service in the hotel was intermittent, no consistency at all! Varied from day to day! The dining area was not 5* & neither was the food. How this hotel copes in high season is beyond me! Queues for toast & coffee (warm, served in flasks, water not truly hot!) is ridiculous!!
I understand hotel is due a refurbishment & possibly a management change this winter, it needs it! This is a chain of IBEROSTAR hotels, of which I've stayed in before. I booked, trusting the brand, I was very disappointed! I will be contacting their brand team at HO as this hotel is letting the brand name down. They could learn from the Iberostar Lanzarote Park where nothing is to much trouble! A disappointing holiday!

Room Tip: Rooms are lovely!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

Me and my wife just came back from Hammamet, must admit it does look really good from the outside, and in general from the inside, looks posh and expensive, however the cleanliness of rooms were poor, soon as I went to my room the toilet was pretty dirty and OMG the curtains, as soon as I went to open them I jumped up with disgust it was rank had brown stains everywere god knows what it was, the towels they provide are white however as they are dirty they have turned grey, so me and my wife had to go and buy 1 first thing. There was stains everywere even on the bed sheets.

The bed.... well I booked a double bed, ended up getting 2 single beds stuck together 1 lower than the other with a massive gap in the middle, so if your going with your couples than I say be ready to sleep apart for the duration of your holiday.

The food.... 1 word RANK....

Service.... The staff are very freindly though I would not fault them at all always welcoming, greeting and smiling. However on the 1st day the porter took us to the room I gave him tips he wouldnt accept as he wanted notes??? Beggars.

Be careful of the hustlers in the shops downstairs 2 the hotel.

Hotel entertainment was pretty poor howver I would assume as it was not holiday season for them.

Room Tip: definately has to be a Sea View room, atleast you will wake up to a nice view.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2014

Just got bak ws worried b4 I went by reading some reviews yes true about the furniture in lobby but it's not tht bad received a welcm drink got a sea view room even wen we nva asked for it rooms wr fantastic spacious an anytime I had a problem which ws only once they wer very quik to sort it out and the staff wr amazing very polite an very helpful an for the food tht wr fine too I worried for No reason swimming pool clean even the Indoor pool and wr greeted each time we left hotel and came bk wt ws tht nonsense about it closing thr wr stil people arriving as we left on the 2nd November and if an wen these get it refurbished the thing they should include is tea an coffee making facilities in each rooms something to think about cause 5* hotels should hv tht but lastly thnkz to Al the staff reception cleaners waiters etc thnkzzzzzzzzzzzz if I came bk t tunisia I would stay thr again☺️

• Stayed November 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

Stayed for a week in October 2014, arrived in the middle of the night having booked a junior suite with sea view. Friendly welcome, with food offered in the restaurant, which we declined as we just wanted to go to bed.

Walked around in the morning to see tired furniture, ok pool area but with a slightly grubby feel as a first impression. Went to breakfast, which started at 7.30 but generally, don't expect omelettes or eggs cooking before 8.30 as the chefs weren't ready.

Lunch and dinner ok, good selection but food labelling left a little to be desired. Some of the restaurant staff were rude, unless you tipped them on your first day, then you would be ok. That said, some staff were really friendly and couldn't do enough for you.

Hotel reception was quite plush, the hotel was supposed to have several bars, but in the evening only one was open.

The rooms were poorly maintained. Cupboards that didn't close, balcony doors that barely locked and a safe that wasn't fixed to the shelf. I thought about carrying it down to reception, but instead got them to come and secure it which they did quickly and without complaint. There is an ant problem in the hotel, we were on the 3rd floor and ants came in after the shower had been used.

In the bathroom, water didn't drain away very quickly from the basin, or the shower tray.

That said, the weather was good, in the 30's every day and at daytime you could chill at the pool, where there was a swim up bar with good service. Pool cleaning carried out daily, but let's say the guy cleaning it needed to reach a little further into the pool. Pool attendant provided towels daily with mattresses for your sunbed. If you tip him in advance, he will reserve your sunbed and give you better towels. If, like us, you tip afterwards, you get your own sunbed and not so nice towels. They are all clean, but they are a little threadbare.

Tunisian government had just introduced an exit stamp which we had to buy. No one told us where from, another tourist said we could get it from the hotel next door, which we did. They were rude towards us, amazing given that their economy relies on tourism.

We chilled out, as long as we weren't in the room. Definitely won't be going back.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
IberostarHoteles, Quality Manager at Iberostar Saphir Palace, responded to this review, November 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the IBEROSTAR Saphir Palace hotel during your recent holiday in Tunisia. We were regretful to learn that your perception of our resort did not comply with the image of a five-star hotel. Our entire team put a lot of effort to maintain the highest standards of service, to let our guests feel most valued and genuinely cared for.

Nevertheless we took good note of your comments on the room we accommodate dyou in as well as on the service received at the restaurant and will not fail to share them with our management team for further revision.

Moreover we were surprised to read that our Chefs were not ready at the eggs station at the opening of the restaurant and not being informed immediately; for a future occasion please do not hesitate to point out any imperfection to our Maître present at the restaurant’s entrance to make sure first hand that everything runs to our standards at all times.

On the other hand, the gastronomy being a very important aspect for IBEROSTAR our talented team of Chefs strives to make meals one of the highlights of our guests’ overall experiences; it is indeed a great source of satisfaction and motivation to read we were able to deliver.

Thank you again for your visit and constructive critics; while this was not the perfect fit for your travel party, we hope you will join us at one of the many IBEROSTAR hotels on your next vacation and remain at your entire disposal through our call center to help you choose the destination that best meets your holiday needs and wishes.

IBEROSTAR Saphir Palace

Been to Iberostar Saphir Palace? Share your experiences!