“Great 5* hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 124 Hotels in Hammamet
Middlesbrough
“Great 5* hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My girlfriend and i stayed here for a week in late October. You can certainly tell it is a 5* hotel instantly upon entering the hotel lobby. The rooms were cleaned everyday and the bar/restaurant staff were very helpful at all times and gave you anything you needed. However, they did not do late night snacks which we assumed was the norm in many hotels.
The location is fantastic; near many local tourist attractions, by the beach and very close by to super markets. The outdoor pool is very clean and well kept and the pool bar is brilliant, along with the service. The indoor pool isn't upto much, which may explain why it was always empty.

My only major complaint with this hotel would be the lack of entertainment provided by the animation team. We we're entertained on only one night of the seven we spent in this hotel. This led to a lot of people going to bed early and a very quiet bar area every evening after around 10. If you're looking for a quiet place to enjoy good service with beautiful local beer then this is exactly where you should be.
I would definitely reccommend this hotel to anyone and i wouldn't hesitate in going back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We booked this holiday with less than 24 hrs notice before leaving. We were therefore a little nervous about what we would get, having not spent 2 months researching our destination!

First of all, the hotel: We were on our first ever all-inclusive, and I have nothing but praise for the hotel. It really was a beautiful, calm oasis of relaxation and excellent service.

Very nice room: We had a sea-view (room 350, facing both the harbour and the sea), and it was the loveliest hotel room I have ever had. The view took our breath away and we could see the waves breaking on the shore. Everything was spotless, and the bed was comfortable. The aircon (apparently) gets switched off at the end of September, but with the balcony doors open at night and the sound of the sea lulling us to sleep it was all quite lovely. I had a sneaky peaky into other rooms as they were being serviced, and they all looked just as nice as ours. Even if you don't get a sea-view, you'll have a slightly quieter room overlooking the pool and hills beyond.

Hotel staff: They just couldn't do enough for us! I've never been on an all-inclusive before, so it felt a bit like royalty to sit in the gorgeous, marble-floored, high-ceilinged lobby being constantly plied with drinks (soft and otherwise). Be warned: the spirit-measures are generous! The outside terrace is also lovely, although they closed this off in the evening for the second half of our week as it was "too cold" (about 22 degrees). You can still sit outside, and there's a little window by the bar where you can ask for drinks - it was just the door between the main lounge area that was shut.

Do please tip these wonderful staff! Reception is very good about breaking down 20 notes into ones and half dinars. If you go outside the resort and eat there, you will find out just how kind and courteous the hotel staff are by comparison. They earn very low wages, so although it's an all inclusive holiday, please remember to tip as £1 goes a long way in Tunisia.

The food was lovely and very varied, with lots of beautiful fresh salads and vegetables as well as a fabulous combo of Tunisian and European food. Again, eating out of the hotel at greater expense made us appreciate the quality of our hotel: I had a traditional cous-cous both outside and in, and the one from the hotel was far tastier and more authentic.

I'm slightly ashamed to say that the combination of an all-inclusive deal and our need to relax and "do nothing" meant we didn't venture out much. We went into Hammamet town - a 20 minute cab ride away (10 dinar each way), which is worth the trip. I wish I'd done a couple of trips, though..... we were independent bookers, but someone very kind told me we could talk to the Thomas Cook rep and book on their tours, which I wish we'd done. They don't "flog" tours out in the street as on other holidays I've been on, so it was hard to find out how much we should be paying to go to see the ruins and Medinas. In the end it started to feel like work, so I gave up and went to the pool bar instead! The front desk do charge a lot for taxis etc, so be warned and haggle.

We had some lovely walks along the beach in the morning, but found the friendly pool to be much more fun overall.

We used the spa, and I highly recommend this to fast-track your relaxation! We had a traditional Hammam experience with wraps, body-scrub, wonderful massage etc. The staff were extremely kind, polite and skilled. This was a Quality Experience. Don't book your 2 hrs too close to dinner, as you'll want to flop in your room for a while afterwards as you're so relaxed.

You're in a very, very different culture from Europe, and if you can't handle it then don't go! Since their revolution, their economy has slumped even further and they simply don't seem to have the public money to spend on clearing up litter etc, and it makes you appreciate the cleanliness and hassle-free environment of the hotel all the more.

Overall, I wouldn't necessarily go back to Tunisia, but the holiday and hotel was an amazing deal and we had the R&R I so badly needed, in far nicer surroundings than I could have imagined.

Room Tip: Sea-view rooms also face the road (not busy in October) and get sunrise. Garden views face the pool...
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Arrived following an excellent flight from east midlands airport 17-10-2012 to what we thought was a beautiful hotel all the management were very pleasant and couldn't do enough we were greeted with a warm welcome by all with a refreshing fruit drink whilst checking in we had a fantastic room on the 4th floor (433) that we believe we were upgraded to overlooking the sea we hadnt booked this and was a lovely surprise , we had a beautiful sunrise every morning and couldn't wait to get around the pool,
The pool was lovely it was quiet although that is a reason we booked the holiday for a quiet relaxing break, the pool manager/life guard was great always there with the cushions the animation team were great especially the water aerobics which was really fun (we didn't join in only watched from the pool bar whilst having a beer)
The hotel manager was always on hand and always greeted us with hello/good morning my friends in general all the staff were very pleasant if you interact with them they will do the same to you
The cleaners were brushing sweeping all the time and the hotel was spotless a previous review stated that a lift didn't function it was the weekend perhaps they couldn't get an engineer ? There was another and stairs no problem !!
There was no hassle outside the hotel with the shopkeepers yes they do want you to view there goods however if you say no then they will let you walk on with no hassle
The restaurant experience was always good with lots of choice my fiancee was spoilt for choice I on the other hand am a plain eater and always found something to eat .We didn't expect the usual British food as the restaurant was international quisine and we were in Tunisia after all not Blackpool
The resort itself was quiet however it is late in the season so this was no surprise to us there were little trains running constantly the driver would ring the bell and pick you up on route to the marina or back we even caught a tuk tuk back to the hotel on one day 6 dinar ( funny )
All in all we had a fantastic week and would like to thank all the management,waiters,cleaners for making our stay at the Saphir palace a lovely happy experience
The weather was excellent every day sunshine fantastic for October
We are now home and feel that the Saphir palace hotel was a fantastic relaxing autumn break

Room Tip: Try get a sea view if available
Ayr
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

There seem to be some very differing opinions on this hotel, but as others have said: if you go to Tunisia expecting a Mcdonalds on every corner, 100 British tv channels and a fry up then you will be disappointed. However, we spent 10 days here at the end of September, when we arrived we were upgraded to a sea view suite free of charge which was massive, spotless and had an excellent view.
The staff were very friendly and efficient, we found no problem whatsoever with getting served etc, although we did tip on the first couple of days - a few dinar isn't much but these guys really appreciate it.
No problem with sunbeds, the lifeguard was very friendly and the pool was lovely.
Highly recommend taking a quad biking trip and going scuba diving (this is at the end of the marina) well worth it.
Overall we had a brilliant holiday, the only downside for us was the food. Perhaps it was just not to our taste but it was all just a bit samey and got a bit repetitive after a while. I wouldn't let this put you off though - breakfast was always good and there are some lovely restaurants and bars at the medina and down at the beach.

Lovely holiday, many thanks to the staff, we were sad to leave!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Saphir Palace, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Lucas,

Thank you for describing with so much details our complete services and facilities. We are delighted to read that you felt welcome in our Iberostar Saphir Palace. It is very pleasant to see that with you we have made our goal and offered a really good and relaxing holiday.

Nevertheless, we took good note of the opportunity of improvement that your remarks regarding the gastronomy offer us. We will continue striving to satisfy the many culinary wishes of our guests so that each and every dining experience proves sensational, offering the most delicious international and local dishes.

Further, we feel proud and glad that you have enjoyed all of the Iberostar prime pillars to offer splendid holidays. In Iberostar Saphir Palace we find it important that the clients can delight themselves by discovering the real magic of Tunisia, the fantastic beaches, and the charms of its ancient metropolis where wonders are waiting to be visited. We also wish that you feel comfortable in your room, as also that the accommodation and facilities are attractive and over all that you feel well attended by our staff. Client orientation and satisfaction through a personalized and individual service is for us the clue to surpass guest expectation and it is wonderful to read how much this contributed to your well being whilst staying among us.

On behalf of the staff and myself, I must say we were all enchanted to have you at the Iberostar Saphir Palace. We trust it will not be long before you will be back with us for another visit. We assure you in advance of our utmost care and attention and, we look forward to thank you personally for your encouraging review.

Sunny regards,

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Sometimes 'This Site' (is worth picking a hotel for the quality of the moans.....the more the moans, the better reason to choose it...
So what do we have here - a £500 holiday in Oct, all inclusive from a local airport - flight will cost you £300 alone...which leaves you £200 for transfers and all incl hotel.
Knock off £25 for transfers and that's a whole £25 a day for alcohol, food and a bed...
Try offering that to a hotelier in Blackpool and see how much you get! - won't even get a room lol Knock off a few cocktails and a few 'English Chips' and what's left for plates and air-con...

So - what do you get:
A huge room, that if you need a full minibar, Sky telly, etc - you need a life,..not a holiday.
You do get a sea/pool view - a super powerful shower, a big fast filling bath, a balcony and an attentive maid.
A bar open from AM till 12 midnight
A swim up bar.
The sea if you can be bothered to walk 40m to it, with its own bar,
Two nights of 'have a meal in another part of chain' on the resort..
NO AMERICAN CHAINS - yep - not a single KFC, McDonald's, Hard Rock, Starbucks crepe etc.
(oh dear, that rules out 60% of Brits)

If you're a moaner - plenty of stuff to write home about - if your a 'we make a good holiday' it could just be the 'just the ticket' holiday you want.

Can recommend the wine chugging trip (and to the pottery factory) to wherever it was - 5 points scored for every time the guide says 'ceramics and pottery' in a weird accent , 5 points for every bottle of wine you sink, and ten points for getting away from the tourists 'Medina' (market) where they sell all those charity clothes you gave away earlier this year.

The food - o.k. so Beef Ragout had an outing every time...but there was more that enough of all sorts of stuff on the huge buffet to fill the hungriest belly - have a dabble - that foreign muck won;t kill you - hello (won't let me put it without the 0 - profanity l.o.l.) I even had an 'egg bases snack beginning with O' (Stupid site won't except the O word isn't a 'Profanity' - try it) for the first time in my life while I was there .

Anyway, just do it - or go to Blackpool and shiver and spend twice as much in a weekend.

Room Tip: Pool facing are going to have the entertainment below.
Tunis, Tunisia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Perhaps, my experience was not typical as I have seen some very good reviews about the hotel. Unfortunately, I do not think I shall be coming again to ths hotel.
The begining was uneventful enough, with a reasonably polite staff at the reception- though I could not understand why we had to fill up the forms completely when I had given all information while making the booking through internet. The rooms (we had booked two rooms) were nice and airy, but there was nothing in the minibar. Of the two lifts, one was not working throughout our stay and we did not find anyone trying to repair it. Though the hotel was scarcely occupied, only one lift meant long waits.
I di not find the staff to be very helpful. We asked for some vegetarian stuff and the room service staff promised to get back to us after consulting with the chef. Aftre 2 hours, we were still waiting.
The AC was not functioning and we were told that this was because the summer had ended! We found the evenings quite warm, but in the absence of the air conditioning, we could do nothing. We opened the balcony door, and this helped somewhat.
The breakfast, at least for vegetarians was a dissapointment. We found that some of the tables that we were shown to, had soiled table cloth. We finally found one that was clean, but though we are not fussy, the breakfast was not something we shall remember with fondness.
I asked the reception if we could check out at 1.00 PM as our son wanted to swim a little longer. The hotel was at least 60% empty, but we were told, very clearly and directly that the check out time cannot be relaxed.
I had chosen the hotel as I though the Iberostar name guaranteed a minimum standard of service. I did not find it here. I guess, I shall have to be much more careful in future.
I intend coming to Hammamet many times in future, but there is a hotel I know I shall not be coming to.
And yes, there is no wi-fi, something one has assumed as standard in all modern hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Saphir Palace, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to express our gratitude for your visit and for dedicating your time and effort to write this review. We are glad to may learn from our guest´s experiences in order to take their visions into account and achieve maximum adaption to their needs.

Regarding our staff, we assure you that we choose and school them to provide the close and personalized service Iberostar is famous for. We understand that good communication and guest orientation are of prime importance to achieve maximum customer satisfaction, and we are sorry that on this occasion their performance did not meet your expectations.

Further, we deeply regret not being able to make you enjoy each and every meal. The gastronomy is for Iberostar a very important aspect of our daily labors. It is our intention to enrich your stay by surprising with culinary highlights of local and international origin.

Concerning the minibar, we are sorry that you got weren´t properly informed about the procedure. If you permit us we´ll explain it: in the rooms you find a letter informing that drinks in the minibar are only included depending on the regime that you have contracted. In case you have not purchased this service at any time you can order them at reception and they will be gladly served.

On the other hand, we are glad to inform you that the technical problem with one of the lifts is repaired by now. We lament not being able to repair it straight away. For our technical department, responsible for the maintenance and care of the installations it is an honor to may solvent any little failure that is produced at our Iberostar Saphir Palace, but sometimes we depend on extern suppliers to become the needed accessories.

Also, we thank you for letting us know, you find your room was nice and airy. It´s wonderful to know that our guests enjoy the accommodation they´re allocated in.

We hope to may take the opportunity to serve you again and cause through our high quality service and the fulfillment of our Iberostar hotel standards, a good and lasting impression.

Sincerely yours,

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Arrived here with my partner early October the lady on reception booked us in quickly and efficiently and she was really helpful throughout our stay. The reception area was fantastic. The room was bright and airy and the cleaning service did an excellent job. The pool area was really nice and clean although some of lounger mats did need replacing, we never had a problem getting a sunbed. The towel service was great for 20 dinah you could have a beach towel that was replaced with a clean one as often as you liked and you got your 20 dinah back at the end of the holiday.I also liked that the safe and fridge were free. The entertainment staff worked really hard at making everyone feel welcome but were'nt to pushy if you just wanted to chill out and Mario in particular was great. The food really let the hotel down it was repetative and the choices available limited, my partner is a fussy eater but i am not and we both really struggled to find something to eat. I think the choices for the english was almost non existant unless you could live on salad and pasta and while i dont go away to eat all english food some would have been nice.Also some of the kitchen staff wore really grubby uniforms it is ok wearing all white if you keep it white. Although we were AI we ate out on a number of occasions, the Steakhouse behind the hotel was fab We also had issues with them running out of drinks. You did get hassled outside the hotel by people trying to seel to you but there is a fixed price shop close by where you could shop in peace..I dont think the Saphir Palace is a 5 star hotel but it could be with a bit more organisation and attention to the needs of all its visitors.

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting the Iberostar Saphir Palace for your vacation, as well as for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. We take in consideration all your constructive comments because we are convinced that listening to our clients is the best way to achieve their complete satisfaction.

We do our best to offer our guests the opportunity to enjoy the rich and traditional recipes from Tunisia in several of our restaurants which are run by chefs of great recognition that only use products of prime quality. It is very unfortunate to read that we couldn´t satisfy your expectations because it is our goal to even surpass them. We passed your concerning remarks as well as your comments regarding the drinks to the head of the department so that they can be taken into consideration. Please rest assured we will continue working to delight the many culinary wishes of our guests and to delight all palates.

Also, we took good note of the opportunity of improvement that your commentary regarding the uniforms of our kitchen staff offers us and we´ll do our utmost to be attentive on the matter.
As it is our deepest desire to offer comfortable accommodation, we enjoyed reading your description of the rooms, reception and pool. Our hotel is designed to make your stay as pleasant as possible and it is lovely that you let us know you enjoyed the comfort.

On the other hand, we would like to thank you for your kind words towards our staff, especially regarding Mario and the lady receptionist. As all of them work very hard, striving to offer a service characterized by its excellence, we will definitely pass on your satisfaction with their services. They will surely celebrate that you wrote that they are efficient, helpful and lovely.

Once more, many thanks for your time and effort sharing your experience; we will certainly take it in consideration. We hope you had a nice journey back home and to may serve you again in the future.

All the best,

Iberostar Hotels & Resorts

Been to Iberostar Saphir Palace? Share your experiences!