“Great Holiday, but not a 5 star resort” 4 of 5 stars

You added Holiday Village Manar to your Saves list
Holiday Village Manar
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Route Touristique Mrezga, Hammamet 8050, Tunisia   |
Ranked #6 of 124 Hotels in Hammamet
“Great Holiday, but not a 5 star resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have just come back from a lovely week at the Holiday Village with my husband and 13 year old son. The weather was great and all in all the holiday was super. However when we arrived we were so disappointed with our room, it was quite small and dark and to say it was basic was an understatement!!!! It was reasonabley clean but very tired indeed. Having stayed in lots of 4/5 star hotels all over the world I expected better, there are no toileteries in the bathroom, so make sure you take plenty of your own, there was one wall mounted soap dispenser that didnt work. Thankfully weather was great so we were'nt in the room alot.

The food was nice and plenty of it, although it did tend to be the same, lunch and dinner, but there was plenty of choice so nobody would go hungry for sure. We did use the thai and tunisian restaurant and were quite underwhelmed to be honest, think the main buffet style restaurant is much better with more choice.

The beach is great, and the kids clubs and activities were good too. The staff made our holiday, everyone was polite and friendly from the holiday reps to the waiters, sadly the hotel decor doesnt live up to 5 star rating. Quick mention about Chris the swimming instructor, he is great worth every penny!!!

Room Tip: Manar 2 ground floor facing the pool is no good if you have little ones that want a nap during the d...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Polish first
Armadale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We travelled for a week from the 18th-25th September with our 2 young children and grandparents to this lovely holiday village. After reading various reviews on here about the hotel, we were pleasantly surprised upon arrival to find a lovely, clean spacious lobby area and contrary to some reviews quite modern looking. We were greeted with a non-alcoholic cocktail and given room cards etc.

ROOM

I must say that I was slightly worried about what to expect with our room as again a few people had commented on it being very poor and the rooms dated and in need of attention - I couldn't disagree more!! yes it is a bit old in itself and I am quite picky when it comes to where I am staying and we found our room actually really nice, we stayed in a kids den room and my in-laws also had one next to us and both rooms were lovely and spacious. My 4 year old boy loved his bunk beds and own little space and my 4 month old baby had her little cot neatly in the corner in our room. There is no balcony in these rooms but with young children I was more than happy to forfeit this. We were on the 5th floor in Manar 1 and the view was excellent, looking right over the pools and out to the beach. We were right above the lobby bar however never bothered by the noise, the guy that sings every night there finished at 11.30pm and we were out most nights until then anyway. The room was cleaned every day and towels only replaced if you left them in the bath, which we were fine with as don't use a new towel every day at home!

FOOD

The main restaurant was lovely, themed each night, the waiters were all lovely and very friendly, giving lots of attention to our little baby girl! The food was varied I think we only found 1 night to be difficult although still found something nice to eat! The early sitting for children was a great idea with food accessible for little people height and small tables and chairs, our little boy enjoyed the small chicken bites, pasta and chips most nights. The snack bar outside is where we had lunch most of the time until the flies got just too much to cope with and we ate in the restaurant the last couple of days.

POOLS

On our first day we were at the slide pool and then after this discovered the activity pool which was much better, lots going on and the swim up bar available here too. The 'children's pool' was also here (just a shallower area of water - which was v safe for the little ones to play in)
Generally all the pool areas are very well kept with little touches like areas to put dirty cups/dishes. One improvement would be little tables to put your drinks on next to sun loungers. We never has an issue getting 5 loungers although could be due to hotel only being 60% full at this time of year.

ENTERTAINMENT

The first choice entertainment team worked hard day and night, you will never please everyone!
the poolside activities were fun to watch. At night we went to the 'i5LIVE' show as our little boy loved watching Charlie and Nate amongst others, 'family' show at 9.15 was a bit hit or miss!!
In the lobby there is Rob I think? doing an acoustic set most nights, he was very good but gets bit samey each night! We were a bit disappointed that in the week we were there the entertainment was all moved inside to a stuffy theatre instead of being where it should be out in the amphitheatre with its own outside bar... this was apparently because of 'bad weather' .... well it never rained once in this week so didn't see the point in being inside with a poor bar set up and lack of air-con! this would be my only complaint!!

KIDS CLUB

Our 4 year old boy loved the club, he only went maybe 5 times in the week, but each time had a ball and the girls/boys were all really good with the kids!, no queing or issues with getting a place but again this was not in school hols when I could imagine it may be a problem.

Overall we had a great weeks holiday here, we had booked the 'baby pack' before we arrived so had a steriliser, bottle warmer, sun tent, changing mat, stroller all waiting in our room on arrival which was a great. If you are travelling with a young baby there is bottled water free from all bars and in the restaurant for making up bottles. My mother-in-law and myself also used the spa which was lovely - good treatments although NOTE - INSIDE POOL V COLD!! but little hot tubs were warm in there and children could go in them. We would definitely return to this resort, the flies were pretty annoying but there were no mosquitos!:)

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

We arrived 15th sept after being picked up at the airport by private transfer. We were welcomed with cocktails and our bags was taken to our rooms. While we were shown through to a late night buffet. We had a den roon very spacious and lots of storage. The food all week was brilliant so much choice lots of show cooking. Pools are varied and very clean. Had lots of fun on the slides. Sea was clear and warm. This holiday was everything we wanted it to be and more. Our children were never bored there is so much going on. My daughter loved the high ropes. We didnt queue for anything all week
My only negative was the flies that arrive for two weeks in september.
Will definitely be back.

Hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We returned on Weds after a wonderful 10 days at the HV Manar. I've never been to a hotel so equipped for children. They have everything from sterilisers and microwaves to being able to request cartons of milk and bottles of water free from the bar as and when you need. The place is spotless and cleanliness is very high. The waiting staff were a bit hit and miss but generally very very good and always cheery. Reception were lovely and helpful.

The resort itself is lovely and exceeded our expectations a lot. The food is very varied and we had chips only once! The early sitting for children is a well thought of plan as my DD would never had lasted until later. The Mai Thai ala Carte was good too and a nice change to the buffet. If someone can't find something they'll eat here, I'll eat my toe. They have something for everyone and it's all hot.

We have a family themed room which was a great layout and DD loved having her bunk beds. However, the room itself was a little basic. No complimentary toilettries, just what you would get at a Premier Inn with soap in a dispenser. For something advertised as 4-5* I'd expect these, plus tea,coffee and water regularly replenished which they weren't, we had to ask a few times which was a shame. Housekeeping was a bit slap dash and the floor was never swept once which was a shame. Towels and beds were made and bins emptied but that was about it. We did have to leave a heavy tip on the last day as DD was sick over our and her beds which needed cleaning properly. Housekeeping were told at 2am what had happened and very quickly dealt with it all very sympathetically. So top scores for that! We tipped waiters etc when we thought necessary and didn't get any royal treatment which we were fine with. We prefered to move about the seating areas anyway.

DD loved the evening entertainment of the The Wotzits and fell in love with Gizmo. We've never really gone for this type of thing but she loved it.

Drinks were out of bottles too so I never had concern about the water.

The quiet pool was superb and MoMo was great. He loved our little 'blondie' and very kindly checked with DH if it was ok for him to talk to me and touch DD which was lovely.

The beach is superb, we're not beach types but went every day!! The sand is pure and the water so warm and clear. Flipping fish did nibble my feet but nothing that was unpleasant. The highlight was watching the camel being walked up and down the beach in the sunset, something out of an advert.

So I would recommend this hotel and it's services but I think that First Choice have over inflated it slightly on the rating. Oh and we were on the 4th floor in Manar 1. The view was amazing but the noise from the lobby wore thin!

Go, enjoy and relax.

Room Tip: We were in 1411 - great view and huge room, bigger than most but noisy. Family were in 1419 which w...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a great holiday at this hotel, I was slightly concerned before going after reading some of the poor reports, but after being there I'm not sure these people stayed at the same hotel.

The Tunisian and First Choice staff were great and nothing was to much trouble, tipped the waiter on the first night we were there with 3dnr (£1.20) and after that, whenever we walked into the restaurant a high chair was taken to a table for our daughter and drinks were refilled before we had finished the ones we had.
The cleaning staff never seemed to stop in the public areas of the hotel and the main toilet near the sports bar was probably the cleanest toilet I have ever been in.

The food was good and although there were some dishes the same each day, there were lots that were changed and tasted very nice, it was a pleasure to eat there, and believe me I am not someone who makes a comment like that unless I mean it.

The snackbar for lunch had a good selection of food, the wraps they make when you ask for them are spot on, bottled water was also available from any of the bars and at breakfast for you to take away. We only went to the restaurant once for lunch as we prefered the snack bar where you could go without having to change out of your swimming shorts etc.

The bars were ok, and there were branded drinks available in the sports bar which you have to pay extra for, this was clearly stated before you walked in, so it shouldn't come as a surprise if you order a drink there. I thought the local beer was ok and my wife drank the cocktails with no issues.

We had a double family room in Manar 2 and it was big, with separate living area and bedroom, the double bed was 6' across, although it did seem shorter than normal beds, I am just over 6' and if I laid straight out my feet hung over the edge, but then how often do you sleep like that. The mattress was hard, I liked it that way, my wife not so much.
The room was clean, the towels weren't changed everyday which might annoy some people, for me I don't change my towels every day at home so didn't bother me. The Tv had Cbebbies which pleased my daughter in the morning.

The pool areas were really good, the activity pool always had something going on with the others slightly quieter. They were cold initially but warmed up during the day, the same as every other holiday I have been on, my only slight issue was that the small childrens slide pools remained quite cold all day, possibly due to their locations which were a bit shaded. The big slides were good with no real wait to go on them, and the life guards did a good job.

Other reviews have mentioned the flies, there were flies and lots of them when you were near the trees, but we hardly saw any in the lobby or restaurant. I would suggest you sit round the back of the snack bar if you eat there, we found there to be hardly any, and we could sit and eat without looking like we were waving at each other across our food.
My opinion about the flies is, yes there were flies but you are in North Africa so what do you expect if you are outside.

We went armed with mosquito sprays and wrist bands but we didn't need them as we didn't see or hear a single one and no one got bitten.

We put our daughter in they creche on a couple of days and Sam, Alistair etc were great, she wasn't old enough for the kids club, but after hearing kids asking their parents to go, I would suggest it was good.

The evening entertainment was good and lots of people went to it, our daughter was only interested in the Widgets due to her age, but the older children there seemed to enjoy it all and they were kept involved by the entertainment team.

In conclusion this is a hotel for families so if you are looking for a quiet holiday with no noise and no children running around, this isn't the place for you. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and we will certainly be going back at some point.

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Have just returned from a week at Holiday Village Manar. What a lovely place, lovely staff and excellent choice of food.
The Entertainments Team were superb, especially Helen who is so very talented and has a beautiful voice. I would definitely recommend this holiday village. Only down side was the relentless buzz of flies.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our week at HV manar. We took our 2 year old son and found plenty to do for the 3 of us. Entertainment team were fantastic, the kids evening entertainment was brilliant our son loved going. We often went along to the quiz in the sports bar with James who was also fantastic. The food was very good with lots of choice. The bar staff and restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful. Felt well looked after by all staff all week. We had 3 days of not so good weather and anywhere else I think this would have spoilt our holiday but it didn't here, we were kept entertained and were then lucky our last 4 days were glorious. The only thing to moan about were the amount of flies, they really got on our nerves, they were everywhere but the last couple of days they seemed to die down so not sure if it's just the time of year that they get bad. Overall a really fantastic holiday would highly recommend for any families. I have noticed a few people complain about there not being enough for adults, it clearly advertises to be a family resort, I wouldn't recommend it for couples really.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Holiday Village Manar? Share your experiences!