“A bit worn, rather 3*” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 128 hotels in Hammamet
Budapest, Hungary
“A bit worn, rather 3*”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

The hotel must have been nice and modern at the time it was built, but by the time I got there it was a bit dated. The marble is till nice and shiny, but the carpets were a tad worn.
I had a 10 days all inclusive stay, but since I got the food poisoning in another restaurant on the 6th day, I did not eat much.

The biggest drawback is that it is not located on the beach. You either have to wait for the small golf-cart to take you to the beach, or you walk down in a dirty alley yourself. Once on the beach, your all-inclusive bracelet gives you access to the same drinks that are available in the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is not facing the pools, as there is animation twice every day with very loud...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

831 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Kingsville, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

The room we are in is very big like 2 bedrooms in one. The food is excellent, freshly squeezed orange juice for breakfast squeezed whilst you wait. Fresh omelettes and choice of cereal etc. Mini club for kids is excellent. We would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: swimming pool side the view is beautiful
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

not after eating.the food. although we did get to know each other more intimately, just not in the way I had hoped.

Typical day; (instantly assuming the rejection of breakfast for sleep/toilet time after first day)

Woken at 10am by Celeine Dion singing my heart will go on. Look over balcony to see old burnt women doing yoga to Celeine Dion on repeat for an hour.

11am. Awful euro dance/pop kicks in at 1000 decibels as the 'animation team' (see below) get women to bounce their boobs about under the shoddy pretense of excercise. I have never seen moves like it.

12 -4pm. God knows. Kiddie stuff and bangin foreign tunes. Mostly arabic stuff and dark French hip-hop.

6pm. Dinner. Attempt the innevitable again. Settle for bread and wine from a bottle.

8pm. Venture outside hotel to see if any fun stuff's happening round here tonight?
8.15pm Return, hit hotel bar with the alright barman. Drink blue sugary coctails for sustanance. No ice.

9pm. Walk down beach to see the good-hotel's-right-next-door to us awesome fire breathers and shows. People look healthy and content.

9.30pm Sneak into other hotel bars and start ordering drinks. Much nicer orange tastes of orange.

Whenever, am. Trudge down the beach back home and have a long hard think at what you did. Was it really worth saving £100? DEFINITELY NOT!

2 stars for the bar tender! and the comedy stories I now can tell.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We are currently staying here after being moved hotels. The room we are in is very big like 2 bedrooms in one.
The food is excellent, freshly squeezed orange juice for breakfast squeezed whilst you wait. Fresh omelettes and choice of cereal etc. Mini club for kids is excellent. We would recommend this hotel to anyone :)
The free wifi in reception was a bonus as have to pay in Egypt and Spain.
Had plenty of different cocktails. The staff members could not do enough for us.
I really don't know why tyre are so many bad reviews.
It was my daughters birthday out here and the restaurant even made her a birthday cake free of charge

• Stayed August 2013
Stevenage, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Travelled a few years ago to this hotel, went with a large group of a few familes. Stayed in August for 14 nights. Hotel is good for kids, and families maybe for a week but does get a bit boring after that. The only outstanding thing i enjoyed the most about this hotel was the animation staff, he may not be there anymore but Kimo from the kids club was an absolute asset. Its been years and still remembering his name and his funny antics. Funny and super friendly. Beach is a short stroll away but have to cross a road to get to it. Beach is lovely though. Not sure how much the hotel has changed since i was there but overall the hotel was ok, it was a bit outdated but for a budget holiday in the sun for large groups and families, i had a good time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Cumbria UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The rooms are in need of freshening up and the addition of tea and coffee making facilities are needed ..more sockets would be useful as well and electricity that didnt go off every time you removed your key card ...no means of keeping the fridge cool....corridors very dark and the need of extra lighting is obvious as this is a health and safety issue....Having said this the hotel has some of the friendliest staff Ive come across and Im very well travelled..nothing is too much for them and they go the extra mile to help...reception staff are courteous and efficient, housekeeping are friendly and do a good job ..The animation team are to be commended and made my little grandaughters holiday...The food is not awful as some people have suggested but is quite varied and even fussy eaters will not go hungry. The beer is the worst thing about this hotel but the spirits are fine...The 4 star rating is the Tunisian rating and guests should be aware that in North Africa and especially after the recent upheaval in the government the country is still going through austerity. The hotel is in my opinion a 3 star with the potential after some investment in the rooms and general equipment to be a very decent 4 star. The fact that hotels all over North Africa are full of Russian guests is hardly a matter to criticise the hotels..they do not choose their clients and why would they turn away paying guests just to make some fussy Brits feel more comfortable. Intigrating with other nationalities is part of the travel experience if you dont like it stay at home. I enjoyed my week and so did my son and his 4 year old daughter...and just to add all of us were fine with the food no upset tummies ..Thank you to all the staff who made our stay a very pleasant one..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I took this as our first holiday together. We booked with "low cost holidays".

We arrived into the hotel and were asked to leave our suitcases in the reception, walk away and sit in the lower bar with a drink. This was uneasy for us to do so. But we almost felt that we had to. The bartender poured the drink and spilled it all over the work station. The drinks were disgusting. Very cheap.
After about 30 minutes we were taken to our room. And left there. That was it. We had no idea of where anything was, what time dinner was available, not even where the toilets were. In all honesty we both cried. We thought our first holiday was a complete waste of money and that we were stuck in this alien place; without a clue of anything.
After discussing our options we thought it would be best if we could talk to the staff behind the reception. We made our unsteady way back and asked where is the pool? And other questions to see if they would get the hint that we were unsure. We even said "we are unsure of where everything is" They answered our questions but we found we had to ask, we were not shown. We gave up in the end and just ventured about ourselves. I was very panicky the whole duration. Not wanting to leave the hotel. We decided to make the best of what we had and took everything as it came. We also noticed that the websites pictures were not recent and made the area look a lot bigger and better than what it actually is.

As the days past we started to notice how dated and uncared for the hotel was. How light fixtures were damaged or broken, or lights not working at all.
The button to the second floor in the lift was missing.
The broken glass that was left on the floor for four days.
The dirty plates and glasses left outside the rooms for days before being cleared.
The unused rooms. Filled with broken furniture.
The air conditioning units in the bedroom that did not work.
The flies that were around you constantly. Not inside the hotel. However when the dinner hall became open they did venture in.
Broken blinds in the lower bar.
One lift that did not work at all.
The "private beach" was not right next to the hotel. It was across the road. There was a golf cart available to drive you. It is filled with litter and the drinks are the same.
Everyone received a cold. Staff and guests.
The broken mirrors in the hallways.

Other issues we encountered.
This was not a problem for myself. But I know others would find it a big one. Cats. If you eat outside they will be around your feet. If you are tempted to feed them the staff will tell you not to. And because they are wild they don't take the offerings calmly. They are very skinny and snatch it out of your hand, not aggressively but desperately. They don't really want to be touched. Especially at eating times. They might be cheeky and jump up on the seat of your chair to steal food from the table if you leave it unattended. That is if the flies don't get there first! The staff do shoo them away. Never harming just a "hissssss." With this noise the cats scatter.

Another problem I personally had was diarrhoea. It could have been many things. However I believe it to be the food. I had severe cramps and did not stop "going" for 2 hours. The pain lasted for 24 hours. If I wasn't carful I would have been very unwell indeed. I could not leave my room because of this. That was the final straw for myself.
The pool was cleaned every other day. Not every day.
The carpet in the hallways of the rooms was NEVER vacuumed.
The cleaners do not put down signage to inform you of a wet floor and I slipped over every day without fail.
Spa is not open the times it is listed to be open. I could list more.

When trying to book our transportation back to the airport that came part of our package, the receptionist told us that we have to leave our rooms by 12:00 midday, even though our flight was not till 06:00am the next day, and our room was paid for until 00:00. We were also asked to use a pay phone to call to get the transportation, when our documentation clearly stated that the hotel would do that for us. The pay phone that was available was unusable. The reason for this is that the person on the other end did not speak English. My partner then informed re receptionist of this issue. She then tried to call and the number was busy. My partner then asked what time will the transport be booked to collect us and she said 05:00am. As you may be thinking this is not early enough. My partner said this to the receptionist and she simply said "i will speak to the people" we left the information with her.

Positives
There were payable options available, day trips, spa sessions. We did a few and found them a good laugh. But that was all outside the hotel.
Staff friendly, but not always genuine. There were some brilliant characters. However all need their standards re looking into. Not 4 star.

You have to take this place as you find it. Understand that the reviews are NOT picky as my partner and myself thought. They are honest.
The staff were polite. Always. Except for the waiter who told me off for feeding the cats. However he was right. But he should have handled the situation with respect.
I think that's something that's lacking standards of people's expectations and respect. From the people, furnishing and maintenance to even how they poor a drink. It was very poor indeed. It seems they are "just there to get paid" rather than make your stay enjoyable. We won't return and wouldn't recommend.
The hammamet hotel garden and spa needs to fix all damaged maintenance, Remove the cat infestation, actually clean and be more aware of guests feelings. The food standard safety needs to be re looked at. I have worked with food and my father was a chef. I know bad food when I see it. I would urge you to go else where. We could not properly relax. This is not a holiday. This is a toleration of problematic agendas with good weather.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Hammamet Garden Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!