“Good friends make great times together.” 4 of 5 stars

Dar Khayam Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue Omar Kayam, Hammamet 08050, Tunisia   |
Ranked #45 of 124 Hotels in Hammamet
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good friends make great times together.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed at the Dar Khayam for two weeks during December 2012 and I had a brilliant time. The people I met were absolutely amazing and we did nothing but laugh from day one to the very last morning when I had to leave. Being quiet at that time, it was easy to meet and get to know people and there were a substantial number of single travellers of all age groups who made friends easily.

The food is terrible and I generally ate out - but for the price, you have to expect something to give and, to be fair to the kitchen staff, they did try to please. Unfortunately, they put on a huge variety of meal options when they would have been better doing a few dishes well. Panorama Restaurant does an excellent steak dinner for around £12 - you can't beat the value, and it is a good venue to watch live football. If you go to the Friday market in Nabeul, try the chappati street food from the shops just outside the entrance to the market - it is cheap, filling and tasty and is prepared to order. Have a look and see which of them (there are dozens!) the locals are keeping busy - that's always a good sign.

Across the road from the gates of the hotel is a supermarket; next to that you will see a ramp that drops down beneath the supermarket where you will find a shop - if you are a man, go in there with the (male) shopkeeper only if you want him to have a wee feel at your bum. I found out from another two gents staying at the hotel that it wasn't just me he did this to. You have been warned! Perhaps informed, for some of you guys.

Further along the road on the same side of the hotel is a row of shops. One lady bought a very nice looking bottle of perfume from one of the shops at what she believed to be a good price. She brought it back to the hotel and sprayed it on her wrist to let the rest of us smell it - it was something like Cillit Bang. Seriously - it was toilet cleaner that was in the bottle: if you intend to buy perfume or aftershave, INSIST on opening the bottle and testing it. To do otherwise is just stupid.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel if you are travelling alone and want a decent price for your trip; I think you will feel at home as I did. Unusually, I only tipped the housemaid - the rest of the staff gave me very much the impression that they were only looking for tips and I found that quite off-putting. Jamal the barman will supply you with cigarettes - 30TND for a sleeve of 200. We went into the old medina in Hammamet and got them for 15TND per sleeve, and I reckon we could have bartered that down even more if we had persisted and just walked away. Try the kebabs if you are in Hammamet - they are brilliant!

Room Tip: A room overlooking the pool at the time of year I visited would be nice - be noisy in the summer I w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Polish first
doncaster
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I spent in this hotel the last week of August, it was a good time,but do not I go in there a second time.First impression is very good ,good until I saw the horror in the restaurant, we could not sit where we like, but where the waiter showed us,we sat at a table specified but the second waiter come and we had to change the table again and again.All the time staying at this hotel have never seen teaspoon .Breakfast terrible, any cereal, no bacon, very poor choice, lunch and dinner much better,Throughout the hotel doors are made ​​of glass, but unfortunately never cleaned,you can stick to them.Dispensers in bathrooms were filled on the fifth day...... better late then never.Maybe a little too much I wanted for this price......, the staff very greedy (no tips-no service or poor servis )BIG PLUS IS WONDERFUL BEACH.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
cumbria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

l never do reviews but this is a must
l have never been to a country like this in my life and l have travelled extensively (including Afghanistan), the people are so arrogant, outside the hotel. We went to the market and to hear them shout you English butchers and other things (but can't put the words on here), well that was a lovely welcome (and to think if l call them in my country l would be fined or jailed). The country needs a good clean up, our first impressions out of the airport, rubbish everywhere!! The hotel and staff, to be honest, was really nice, always smiling and able to help (except mr moley behind the reception, what a miserable unhelpful git!!). The Tunisian men are very lecherous and openly say that English women are easy, this really doesnt go down well when they are crawling all over our wives/partners. During the weekend, 300 Tunisians turned up at the hotel, i appreciate its their country, but oh my god, they were wild, running about the hotel, knocking things down and smoking wherever they liked despite the no smoking policy in the hotel. Smoking area was right by the only staircase to our rooms, being a non smoker, this destroyed my chest. All in all, this might sound like a whinge, but when you don't feel safe in a country, it doesn't matter how nice a hotel is. this country is a no go area for usa it should be for the uk too

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

a nice very clean hotel with very nice staff and a good spa. the beach is very nice apart from the plastic rubbish everywhere, our room was very clean and looked like it had been painted, that may explain why the plastic socket fell off the wall, i just put it back on and used the other one. the wc seat was cracked and the wardrobe door handle kept coming off but these minor things did not spoil my holiday. it was the bad food and the 1920's music that depressed the life out of me, combined with the half dead oap's and nothing to do. the entertainment was the tv in your room. in all fairness on returning home our bus picked up from four other hotels with more stars, and all 38 people on the bus hated there holiday in Tunisia. the whole place has rubbish every where.

Room Tip: over looking the pool would be the best choice of room, but you will still be able to hear the 1920...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Barrhead
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My family and I went to the Dar Khayam two months ago, the hotel was average, but we must warn you about Prince Jewellers nearby. My mum was told that she had bought a Pandora charm bracelet which was made of real silver. When we returned the bracelet started to turn pink and we found it was only silver coated and fake Pandora. Be warned.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

This gud hotel if u want a quiet hoilday staff very friendly and go out there way to help. I have only 2 problems with this hotel the food very respective day in day out an guests an my self have had to complain that the food only Luke warm. My biggest complaint is the flys u can't sit out side 4 long as u get coved in thn even when u in reception but restaurant is the biggest problem

• Stayed December 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

It was amazing met so many people all the staff is kind the food is lovely and I would go there again the pool &beach is absolutely gorgeous free drink whenever you want got good trips, I would advise not to go on to the beach because people pester you to bye things but the pool is really nice the rooms where comfy and roomie, the view is amazing from where we were.the pudding where tasty:D overall I enjoyed my stay and you shouldnt be put of by the bad commemts it was an amazing holiday and going again next year can't wait!

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Dar Khayam Hotel? Share your experiences!