“Brilliant holiday!!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 124 Hotels in Hammamet
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“Brilliant holiday!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was quiet apprehensive about going away due to some of the bad reviews on here. However I can honestly say that both me and my partner had a fantastic holiday, we would definitley go back without hesitiation and I would recommend the hotel to anyone! The hotel was clean and tidy, the rooms were clean, bedding and towels changed daily and we had no problems with the air conditioning! The hotel staff were amazing and really did make our holiday! Aymon on reception was brilliant, Our waiter Momstar (sorry if ive spelt your name wrong!) - his service was excpetional and really did go above and beyond to make sure we were happy. The bar staff- Gedidi, slim, alexis etc were brilliant and again their service was fantastic. The food was lovely and plentiful- lots of choice even for the fussiest of eaters! Neither me or my partner were ill as per some of the other reviews on here but having said that we made sure that we had good hygiene and washed our hands regulary! I would highly recommend the spa which we took advantage of more than once!- The best massage we have ever had!! you must not miss out- if you stay at this hotel you must see David Moez and visit the spa! The animation team were great and again would go out of their way to make sure you are having a good time. My only gripe with this hotel is the sunbed situation- you have to be up by 5 - 5.30am to reserve your sunbeds and you then have to wait till 6-6.30am for sunbed mats. If you dont go with the crowds at this time you simply wont have a sunbed for the day which isnt great and you shouldnt have to get up at this time when you are on holiday! Other than that I cant fault the hotel, food, rooms or staff.
I honestly cant belive the bad reviews on here- its as though they have stayed at a different hotel as we havent experienced any of the bad issues stated on the other reviews. If they were expecting 5* luxury maybe they should have paid the price! As far as we are concerned it was great value for money and we would definitley stay at Chich Kan again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
H0tel_Chichkhan, Responsable relations publiques at Chich Khan, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Customer,

Thank you so much for sharing your very nice review. It is a satisfaction for us that you spent with us stay at Chich Khan.

The opinion of our clients is always very important. Comments like yours constantly motivate us to continue improving our exclusive and personal service, so that our customer can enjoy a wonderful time in our hotel.

Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was a little sceptic about staying in this hotel, as I like to go shopping and explore the area, but the hotel isn't in a great location, and we did not once leave the hotel. I didn't mind though because there is a little shop in the hotel that sells practically everything youd have found in any of the shops in hammamet, plus the prices were not too bad and you can pay in English money ( which I preffered ) when we got to the hotel we had to fill out this form, so the hotel is very old and not very modern .. When you first get there you will notice the unpleasant smell, but you get used to it. We then went to check out our room, which was very big and it was a great room, our 'balcony' was quite big but because our room was on the ground floor it wasn't really a balcony. ROOMS: 8/10

The pool area is really the heart of the hotel, we spent every single day of the week there and loved it. The animation team are amazing, and purely the reason we want to go back! They work so so hard, from 9am untill 5am! :0 I've added some of them on Facebook aswell and we keep in touch! They make your holiday, by involving you in activities such as archery, water polo ,volleyball etc. however, we did have to get up at 5:30am to get sunbeds, but it was worth it. We mostly got our lunch from the pool bar barbecue , so we didn't have to get dressed and go inside for lunch. The pancakes and waffles they did at tea time were HEAVENLY- thank you hamza! (One of the chefs) POOL AREA : 9/10

The food started off great, I found myself having full meals and it tasted amazing! Sadly, the quality of food deteriorated throughout the week and I began living on pizza and chips (even though the pizza and chips tasted great) I didn't even attempt to try any of the desserts , apart from Ice cream but they were presented beautifully.. I suggest they just didn't taste as beautiful as they looked :( FOOD: 6/10 (pancakes and waffles 10/10)

Entertainment is great, one or two nights were a bit of a let Down but on the whole it is great , especially considering the same animation team work throughout the day and night just to make your holiday amazing, and yes they succeeded !! ANIMATION 10/10
Overall, I would DEFINATELY return to this hotel .. Infanct as soon as I got home I wanted to fly straight back out to Tunisia and Its been a month since I went and I need to go back as soon as possible .. I can't cope without chich khan hotel in my life and the people in it! Because animation team were so amazing , it's made me re-consider my career path and I want to be just like them (lol)

THANK YOU CHICH KHAN HOTEL amazing holiday can not wait to return !!

• Stayed July 2013
H0tel_Chichkhan, Responsable relations publiques at Chich Khan, responded to this review, July 9, 2014

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Best hotel. Animation team were brilliant gave help when needed made me and my family feel very welcome. The food was amazing and our room was very clean and tidy. All the staff were very friendly. Mario looky mido jerry mamado badi were really helpful when we needed help they was always there to help us. Animation team very friendly they made the whole holiday great. Hotel is very nice.

• Stayed August 2013

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I honestly can't believe what I am reading on here from people who are staying here at the same time as me! It's all rubbish! I have stayed here before and never had any problems :) Let me explain to you all my experience!
Food - You can't fault the food, there is always a great range to choose from. There is a variety of cultural food, including English so if you are a fussy eater you will not go hungry :) fresh bread, and a variety of breakfast to get you started for the day! There is always food during the day, including paninies and pancakes! All the food is prepared in a clean environment :)
Rooms - Our room is huge. It fits me and my sister along with my mum and dad :) we have 2 bathrooms with showers and 2 toilets so it's easy to get ready for the evening! Also, when we go back to the to room in the evening it's so cool, air con works a treat!
Animation Team - They are so friendly!! Always encouraging you to get up and join in! They care about your well being and they make sure you enjoy your holiday! Mario, Looky, Badi, Mido, Jerry, Etc! They make evenings enjoyable too! Entertainment is always a laugh! :)

Overall, i am having a great time and I have a week left!! :D The waiters are also lovely, always quick to get a drink in your hand!

I would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have just arrived home after a week in the Chich Khan and are thoroughly disappointed and still ill from what ever we caught when we were there! Undergoing hospital tests now!

The rooms and corridors on the ground floor where shabby and smelt of drains, and in our corridor it was constantly infested with mosquitoes ( which are attracted to stagnant water and were not a problem in the hotel down the road!) The drainage pipes had leaked all over the carpet in the corridor and had only been cleaned by mopping up with towels! The rooms were not cleaned thoroughly you only have to see the photographs I have taken of what was under our beds when we arrived! I must say when we were leaving the cleaning did seem to be stepping up a gear as staff were cleaning and scrubbing rooms of the many people who were ill unfortunately too late for all us poor holiday makers who spent 4 out of the 7 days ill and are still ill. The pool side incident summed up events when a child had an accident in the pool, (which can't be helped happens everywhere) it was quickly scooped and play continued until someone complained and then chemicals were thrown in the pool while children still swam, then eventually a manager came out and stopped them and got everyone out the pool for an hour- again too late!!
The toilets hardly ever had soap and were regularly flooded harbouring the germs,there was sick left not cleaned and this hotel wonders why so many of its guests have had sickness and diarrhoea.
I could go on about the state of the rooms, the cleanliness of glasses, the evening meal (broccoli, carrots and cheese) being served up again the next day for breakfast- but I just want to forget about this holiday and try to get well before going back to work.
We spoke to many people by the pool and on the bus on the way home and everyone one of them had, had this illness! Out of the 12 I knew 9 were ill and 4 are still ill now at home!

I understand that a 4 star rating in Tunisia may not be 4 star anywhere else but why are Thomas Cook rating it a 4 star with their ratings?!?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Chich Khan, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
We would like to express our gratitude for choosing our IBEROSTAR Chich Khan hotel for your holidays and for the effort you spent sharing a review on your personal impressions so we can learn from your experience how to improve in our daily services and offer splendid holidays to all our guests.
We are very sorry to hear that you have been sick due to the stomach flu outbreak that affected the entire area of Hammamet half august and sincerely hope that you are fully recovered at this time.
The pool side incident was managed as follows: the pool was closed as soon as the lifeguard was informed and the excrements withdrawn immediately, the pool remained closed during three hours the time to add a chloric shock to the pool’s water and filter it thoroughly before allowing our guests to get into the pool again.
The public toilets cleaning is ensured every 30 minutes as per our hygiene protocols and enforced during the period when many guests were suffering from stomach flu, we are sorry to hear that apparently the housekeeping couldn’t manage the amount of guests entering the toilets in the worst days of the outbreak, nevertheless we thank you for mentioning that they undertook a thorough cleaning of the rooms for the new guests arriving to avoid the propagation of the virus.
Once again, we hope that you are feeling better and hope to have the opportunity of serving you again in our hotels worldwide.
Warmest Regards,
IBEROSTAR Hotels & Resorts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We just arrived back from a holiday at this hotel, we have been to Tunisia a few times now but I don’t think I would like to go back to this hotel again, there are better hotels and it definitely isn't a 4 star hotel, it is looking tired in places and in need of renovation.
The queues at immigration were terrible and on leaving there were people’s names being called for flights and they hadn’t yet got through security, very stressful. I realise that this is a very busy time with the school holidays but not a nice way to start and finish your holiday.
Several of our party had to change rooms as the standard wasn’t very good, equipment not working, leaking A/C unit, noisy generators running 24/7 outside the room, damp bedding.
There are some newer rooms which were fine although mine had a patio door which didn’t lock, safe didn’t work, shower head pointed wrong way and had to be held to shower and the TV didn’t work.
Don’t be misled by the hotel images of the pool, it looks big but is far from it, people were packed around it like sardines with hardly space to walk around them and the usual sun bed reservation problems but I suppose that is the same wherever you go, but there was a delivery of new sun beds and mattresses just as we were leaving. Beach towels are available at 20 Dinars each which is refundable when handing the towels back in when leaving, you can change them as often as you like for fresh ones.
The food wasn’t bad and plenty of choices so something for everyone; the snack bars were ok and a nice change from the hot dining room.
The hotel staff are excellent, the cleaners worked non stop and the waiters very attentive, and a little tipping goes a long way. The animation team were on the go all the time and tried to get people involved but were not pushy if you declined.
The beach is a 5 minute walk across three busy roads and we didn’t find sun beds a problem there.
There was a stomach bug/vomiting going around which a lot of people caught, one of the staff told me there were about 50 known cases reported, probably more as people would treat themselves without reporting it, tests were apparently done on food and water and no cause could be found. A doctor was in attendance regularly at the hotel.
Several of our group had the massage treatment at the spa at a very reasonable cost and sang its praises, haggle for a discount. With its faults I did have a relaxing holiday but would try elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Rooms with a key card are the newer ones.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Chich Khan, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
We want to thank you for your preference in selecting our IBEROSTAR Chich Khan hotel for your summer holidays as well as for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay as this will help us know how to improve our services and offer splendid holiday experiences to all our guests.

We deeply apologize for the imperfections that you encountered in the room and we lament not to have been informed about this during your stay. For our technical department, responsible for the maintenance and care of the installations it is an honor to may solve any little failure that is produced at our hotel.
Regarding the issue with the sunbeds we apologize for the inconvenience. We do our very best to take advantage of the available space without invading our guests’ privacy and leaving optimal distance between one guest and another. We are aware that on exceptional moments when only a small number of guests decide to go to the beach there is a lack of beds to provide one to every guest and that is why we established the policy not to allow occupying them with things when they are not actually used. On the other hand we want all the sun beds to be in perfect conditions, therefore the broken ones are retired and substituted by new ones.

We are glad to hear your positive comments on our staff and will definitely congratulate them on your behalf, their kindness and helpfulness are our hotel’s main strength and they will be enchanted to hear that they contributed to your wellbeing whilst staying among us.
Our Chefs work in accordance with our company’s high quality standards related to food preparation and they do their best to offer a wide choice of Tunisian delights and international cuisine in order to guarantee a variety of dishes and please all palates; further, this hotel participates in the new concept of “Dine Around” in collaboration with our other IBEROSTAR hotels in the Hammamet area, proposing thematic menus ranging from Asian, Italian, Mediterranean and Mexican cuisine to offer an alternative to the buffet meals in our main restaurant, we are glad and proud to hear that you were satisfied with this aspect of your stay.
Once again, thank you for the opportunity that you gave us by choosing our hotel, we hope that you had a nice journey back home and to have the pleasure of serving you again in our hotels worldwide.
Friendly Regards,
IBEROSTAR Hotels & Resorts
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks at this hotel. Very dirty rooms.Had to wait 2 days to get clean linen and towels arrived on 2nd day at 1.45am! We had to change the bed linen and take dirty towels etc to reception. Food awful. Pool bar filthy and very very slow.Entertainment staff made us all very uncomfortable especially with our two 12 year and 13 year old girls. Very uneven paving quite dangerous, a member of our party had very nasty fall. Very shocked that Thomas Cook have rated this a four star, the rep at the hotel did say it was more of a 2!!! The other hotels seemed very clean and well maintaned. Chich Khan is terrible.

Room Tip: do not stay in the hotel the rooms are filthy
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Chich Khan, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Although we deeply lament reading that your stay at our IBEROSTAR Chich Khan hotel was not as enjoyable as it could have been, we would like to thank you for sharing your observations with us because this gives us the opportunity to make improvements and thus offer all our guests a better service, which ultimately is the goal of IBEROSTAR.

Moreover, for IBEROSTAR thorough cleaning is an absolute must and we want to apologize for not fulfilling your expectations. For future occasions we strongly encourage you to contact our reception in case you find any as to us it is of prime importance to offer total confidence in this area and we will be enchanted to adjust any situation which is not in accordance with our established standards.

We also read your comment on our staff with a lot of attention and are sorry that your daughters felt uncomfortable with them, however we would like to point out that we lay importance on our staff being guest oriented and helpful in every way, we can only imagine that they were just trying to be friendly and to get them involved in the many leisure and sports activities organized for our guests throughout the day.

Once again thank you for your feedback, we do appreciate all of your comments as they can help us to improve. We hope to see you again in our hotels in the most beautiful destinations worldwide in the near future and to have the opportunity to offer you a very enjoyable experience with IBEROSTAR.

Kindest Regards
IBEROSTAR Chich Khan

Been to Chich Khan? Share your experiences!