Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have attempted to interfere with traveler reviews and/or the Popularity Index for this property. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews.

“Great hotel, great location, great staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chich Khan

You added Chich Khan to your Saves list
Chich Khan
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Rue la Medina, Hammamet 8056, Tunisia   |
Ranked #77 of 126 Hotels in Hammamet
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, great location, great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

We have just returned from a week long stay at this hotel.

We have visited Tunisia before and this was the best hotel out of the 4 that we have stayed in.
The staff are extremely friendly and can't do enough for you. Every member of staff that we passed around the hotel during our stay greeted us with a cheerful 'hello' or 'good morning' and a smile. The waiters around the pool asked us on the first day if we wanted drinks and after that we never had to go to the bar again. They did not expect a tip however we gave them one as they deserved it. The reception staff were always helpful and friendly.
The food was always piping hot and there was plenty of choice for everyone. Each day there were 3 Tunisian specilalities, at least one fish dish, a beef dish, a chicken dish, rice, potatoes, vegetables, a full salad bar, chips, 2 types of fresh pizza, fresh pasta made to order, and 2 ready made pasta dishes. As well as the choice, the food was consistently tasty and not at all bland. There was also a wide selection of deserts from cakes and biscuits to pancakes and ice cream. The breakfast is different to what you would get in a normal European hotel, but for English taste there is plenty of choice - a variety of cereals, yoghurt, a big selection of fresh breads, as well as fried eggs and omlettes made to order.
The general cleanliness of the hotel was very impressive. The hotel was constantly being cleaned. The room was made up daily and fresh towels were provided. The room was clean and spacious with a cold fridge and lots of storage space. The decor of the room (and the hotel in general) is traditional, therefore maybe not to everyones taste, but certainly not shabby, and the full exterior has just been repainted. There was a seperate toilet from the main bathroom, both which were extremely clean - a general theme of this hotel.
The pool area was very impressive. This maybe due to the time of year that we visited but we did not have any trouble getting sunbeds. The pool area is large and there are plenty of sunbeds so I wouldnt imagine getting sunbeds would be a problem even in peak season. There are also lots of grassed areas further back from the pool which offered privacy.
The beach is a 5 minute walk from the hotel and is small for the size of the hotel. The beach only opens on 1st May and during our stay it was being cleaned up ready for the main season. We did not use the beach however we walked past towards the end of our stay and it had been fully cleaned up and looked pleasant. I will say that if you enjoy spending most of your holiday on the beach then this is probably not the right hotel or resort for you.
The hotel is in an ideal location situated between the Marina and the Medina, both in walking distance.
In summary a great value for money hotel, great staff, very high quality food and an overall very nice place to spend your holiday. Lastly, ignore the negative reviews regarding the food and this not being a 4 star hotel, only a naive person would expect UK standard 4 star in Tunisia.

Room Tip: If you like a quite room ask to be away from the main reception area.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
H0tel_Chichkhan, Responsable relations publiques at Chich Khan, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Customer,

Thank you so much for sharing your very nice review. It is a satisfaction for us that you spent with us stay at Chich Khan.

The opinion of our clients is always very important. Comments like yours constantly motivate us to continue improving our exclusive and personal service, so that our customer can enjoy a wonderful time in our hotel.

Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Polish first
Falkirk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

My mum and I stayed here for a week in the beginning of May. The overall experience was very lovely. Downsides of this hotel included noise coming in from the corridor at night and early in the morning, and the fact that smoking is allowed almost anywhere which as a non-smoker was a bit uncomfortable.
Once we got past these issues, it was all very nice. The hotel has a Moorish style and it was indeed a bit dated. It is due for a refurbishment but it’s really not as noticeable. It is a 4-star hotel but I cannot comment on how realistic this rating is as most star ratings are based on facilities rather than quality. The experience however was 4-star.
There are 4 floors: 2 with guest rooms; ground floor has the reception, bar, main restaurant, a small shop. Here you also have the representatives, a woman who does henna tattoos and the guys who offer activities such as camel rides and quad biking. On the basement level, there are bars, the spa with an indoor pool, and games like air hockey, and pool tables. Outside you have the pool, and hotel activities that include archery, mini-golf and Ping-Pong.
The room was just the right size, quite spacious. Had a balcony overlooking the street, had a bathroom with big mirrors and a very well thought out storage space. There was air-conditioning in the room which was nice as balcony doors are best kept closed at night because of the mosquitos.
I have had doubts about coming to this hotel because some reviews said bad things about the food. I can honestly say that I have no idea what they were on about. I found the selection fantastic although a bit repetitive by the end of the week but still so many dishes to choose from you could eat something else for each meal. Personally, I loved the food, it was very tasty and if you have a sweet tooth…well, I’m sure you’ll find something.
The animation staff was okay, although we did have a problem with a deposit they refused to return but it was fine once they realised that it’s not a fee as it is an all-inclusive hotel. Restaurant staff is very good; for a small tip they will give you a good service. As there is a dine-around option, one can book through the head waiter to dine in one of the other 4 Iberostar hotels. We chose the Italian in Averroes as we thought you can’t go wrong with pasta. Well, that was hardly the case, I personally did not like the food, however the Tunisian restaurant in Saphir Palace was amazing. Can’t recommend it enough, it gives a great idea about Mediterranean cuisine.
I know this is supposed to be a review of the hotel but I cannot leave out the resort, people and culture. Overall it’s a nice resort but outside of the tourist areas, I would not recommend going alone. If you’re a female, verbal harassment will be almost unavoidable. Don’t let this spoil your holiday though, these men are harmless and mostly just want to encourage you to take a look at their products and hopefully make a purchase. They are a bit too pushy for my liking so with sunglasses on, ignoring them worked best for me. If you are like me and want to be left alone to browse, you might want to go to the shop across from the hotel or one of the L’artisan shops (Joy’s, Magic Price). A camel ride was something we really wanted to try but the guy at the hotel reception asked for £20/person; not sure how long the ride would have been but it felt like a rip off. If you just want to try it out, I would go to the beach and make a deal with one of the guys there; they charged £10 for the 2 of us for a 10-minute ride.
Hope you found this review helpful and thanks for reading!

Room Tip: Our room overlooking the street was quite.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
H0tel_Chichkhan, Responsable relations publiques at Chich Khan, responded to this review, July 16, 2014

Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Just arrived back after a somewhat disappointing holiday, whoever rated this as 4 star hotel must have either had a backhander from the management, or did the viewing appraisal at night with sunglasses on, a 4 star this is not.

Overall it is very clean and the staff must be struggling to paper over the cracks , it's tired looking, fraying at the edges, well past it's sell by date.
The food is bland, bordering on tasteless, repetitive, chicken morning noon and night, heaps of it, fried, boiled, braised, stewed, they can even make one dish out of chicken wing tips.
The only other meat was a saute beef which must have been the cheapest cuts cooked to submission, and also fried beef liver.

Being close to the sea one would expect to see at least on type of fish.
Endless pans of hot steaming, what they labelled a Tunisian Speciality, never did find out what was in it.

The hotel is situated in an area that's a cross between a rubbish tip and Beirut, the streets are filthy with buildings in a sad state of repair.
What Thomas Cook also forgets to inform you, if you did not know already that Tunisia is not in the EU, and smoking is permitted inside public areas, including restaurants.

I know it's not the fault of the hotel, but to venture out of the gates can be a nightmare, as soon as your feet hit the pavement the locals are on to you like bees to honey, everyone claims to be a waiter, a chef, from your hotel and has a relation how will give you a very good (rip off ) sorry deal in his shop.
Be warned keep saying !! NO !! don't venture into their establishment on an invite you'll never get out without buying something.
They always say you should read the small print before signing up for anything, I wish I had read all the feedback left by others before booking this holiday.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Chich Khan, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all we want to apologize for all the inconveniences you had during your stay. We are very sorry to hear that we could not fulfill your gastronomy expectations

The head departments involved have been informed about your comments. We will certainly take in our consideration and we will do our utmost to improve these points. Feedback like yours is very important to us, so we know what we can improve to reach an even higher and more exclusive service for our guest.

Some of the problems you mentioned are totally under our standards and we have already taken action in order to meet our standards again. Your comment will certainly help us to keep focus on customer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We know how uncomfortable is when you are a not smoker and you have smokers around. Our hotel has separate areas for smokers. The main restaurant is a not smoking area like also the reception area. We have also “No smoker” rooms with a sign in each room. The Shows take place in the bar, where is allowed to smoke. We do our best to make our guest to respect the no smoking areas.

It is very important for us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable within the whole hotel area and we feel sorry to read that didn´t succeeded.

Northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I am currently at this hotel now and I’ve been here twice before. Joe has been here and both times he has treated me with respect, although this is my first time with Teeto he has always treated me with respect also. All this as far as i can see is because of a drunk frustrated women who craved attention and now she’s gone the rest of us have to suffer because the animation team has to curb their words, music and fun which was part of the reason why I came on this holiday.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

The Chich khan and its staff have by far made my holiday to Tunisia one to remember. The hotel itself is beautiful and all its staff were very helpful and kind. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and have done. The entertainment staff made my holiday when I visited. Joe especially put so much effort in to make all the guests happy. This is why a previous comment below would not reflect my opinion and i think it is unfair to speak on behalf of other people by making the accusations of parts of the entertainment team which have obviously not been reported by the effected person or persons. When i visited the Chich Khan all the entertainment staff made you feel comfortable and like they wanted you to be there. Joe especially made extra effort to get people involved in the different activities that were taking place. I’m sure the hotel would lose a lot of customers if the entertainment team were to lose Joe as part of the team, as I’m sure by seeing the comment below will make him think he is doing something wrong. Which I believe is totally out of order. I have recommended this hotel to many of my friends and family as I had such a good holiday, but if Joe and Teeto were not a part of the team I would think twice about if I would want to visit again in summer. I was going to be booking a holiday with friends to this hotel again but will be waiting to see the outcome of the comment below before I make any decisions. I have family who have not long arrived at this hotel and I’m sure they will inform me of what happens. So already the Chich Khan could potentially be losing custom already!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
, Online Reputation Manager at Chich Khan, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear guest,

In first place, Thank you for choose Iberostar for so a important moment like holidays. We are delighted that you enjoyed our hotel so much during your stay.

Make our guest feel welcome, give them an excellent service, improve each day an outstanding cuisine and make our guest delight with our hotel facilities are of prime importance to Iberostar. Your feedback motivates us to continue working with illusion and enthusiasm improving better services and facilities.

We will continue working to improve your next experience with us.

Newport, Gwent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

On arrival to Chich Khan we were greeted with helpful porters who brought our luggage to our room within 5 minutes, were offered a lovely fruit cocktail while we checked in and were given a thorough but concise intro to the aspects of the hotel from the ever helpful reception staff. We had a very large room with two single beds put together, we had plenty of space to sleep so that was fine for us. Room was very clean and had a huge balcony facing out onto the main street. Not pool view but great view of all the hustle and bustle and pretty hotels lit up at night and horse and carriages clip clopping along. Suprisingly quiet to sleep could not hear any noise while sleeping. I hear front facing rooms are best if you do not want to hear the music in the hotel disco at night. First day lifegaurd/pool attendant came straight away with cushions for sunbeds and everday after, we always had the same spot which was great x Waiters came around to take drinks orders and were very prompt. We advise you gvive a little tip of may 2-3 dinar of the first day and trust me you get drinks before you even ask for them - all the waiters and bar staff in Bar Skifa are fantastic - thank you guys you made superb cocktails with plenty of alocohol - all on the al inclusive!! Try the Pina Colada and Amore cocktails! Food in the restaurant is varied and something for everyone, fresh croissants for breakfast and pancakes made to order! Cakes and sandwhiches in Bar Skifa for snacks and lunch at the bbq/pool bar was also very popular.
You must make a visit downstairs to see Ali Baba in the Shisha bar for hi fabulus shisha pipes - he is very welcoming and offers you a nice green tea with honey - with a mixed fruit shisha we felt very chilled in the lay down cushion area. Ali is one funny guy you wil be laughing all night!!

And as for the animation team the heart and soul of the hotel. These guys work so so hard 6 days a week, until the early hours. Starting at 10am they are always full of energy and provide plenty of games and activites to take part in. Darts, Archery, aqua aerobics with Joe!! They make a fuss of you and always stop to say hello and have a laugh and a joke with you. All these guys are there to entertain and make your holiday better and so take everything with a pinch of salt and enjoy the crack! Plenty of club dances to get your teeth into, bingo, tombola and lots of acts on stage at night. We would like to say thank you to all the animation team - Mario, Mimo, Chu Chu, Joe and Tito and all the others - made our holiday fantastic. And especially to Joe and Tito, you are two very cheeky chappies, we absolutely loved your sense of humour and made us feel very welcome and we loved your company for our funny chats around the pool and the bar. Hope to see you all again soon.

Overall an excellent holiday, great value for money and would recommend to anyone looking to enjoy themselves on a holiday and not be boring lol!!

Room Tip: Front facing rooms, although not facing pool are quieter at night as no directly above disco. Room 1...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Chich Khan, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear guest,

In first place, Thank you for choose Iberostar Chich Khan for so a important moment like holidays. We are delighted to hear that you felt welcome.

Thank very much for your positive comments regarding our cuisine and the amiability of our staff both elements are of prime importance to Iberostar. For us is very important that our guest feel welcome.

It will certainly help us to keep focus on customer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards. Your feedback motivates us to continue working with illusion and enthusiasm improving better services and facilities. We will continue working to improve your next experience with us.

Rhyl, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Just got back from a weeks holiday in Chich Khan. Overall had a great holiday. Hotel is in need of modernisation as it doesnt seem to apear a 4*, more like 3* (however, compared to the other hotels in the surrounding area this seams to be the case with many of them by the look of the outside but nothing that a paint brush and new carpets cant correct)
The food in the hotel is good, there is plenty of choice and we could always find something we liked - especially the pankcakes and waffles served in the pool bar at 4pm everyday!!
The staff at the hotel are fantastic, they cant do mre to help. The pool man is good at saving your sunbeds for you with a small tip!! If you dont go down with your towels about 7:30 then you'll struggle to find them.
The animation team are great and there are lots of activities to take part in.
There is a marina with nice restaurants about 5 min walk away (we ate in one one night and it was lovely and 2 courses with 4 drinks was 36 dinars - about £17 so well worth it)
There is also a Medina 5 mins walk in the other direction with bars and restaurants and shops (would recommend the english Steakhouse)
Only negative points were that the airport was far to busy when we landed there as we qued for about 2hrs at passport control (but this is nothing to do with the hotel). Also the beach was 'closed' which we wernt informed of. It doesnt open until May 1st so there was no drinks available there or sunbeds and has not been cleaned all winter so we didnt go there only walked past.
Overall, we had a great time and is well worth the money we paid to go there!
We would return again in the future that time of year as the weather was great!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Chich Khan, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all thank you very much for your stay in Iberostar Chich Khan. We are delighted to read that
you felt welcome and that you have a great holiday.

We certainly will keep on working to maintain our high quality service and keep focus on customer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We assure you that we will continue working to improve your next experience with us.

Iberostar Hotels & Resorts

Been to Chich Khan? Share your experiences!