“Lovely clean hotel and excellent helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

Omar Khayam Club
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hammamet 8039, Tunisia   |
Ranked #56 of 124 Hotels in Hammamet
Liverpool, UK
“Lovely clean hotel and excellent helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I have just come back from a week in Tunisia with my fiance. We didn't know what to expect of this hotel after reading the reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel was lovely and clean.

We arrived about 11.30 am and our room wasn't ready but this was no major thing as hotel rooms aren't usually ready until after 2 pm anywhere else. We were given our wristband and told that we could go and get a drink. We went back to reception about 12.30 where we were given a card and told to go to the dining room. We were showed to a table by our waiter Mohammed (he was a really good waiter). After reading other reviews we were expecting to share our table with someone else and we did and we made wonderful friends with them.

Bar is definately better inside than the poolside bar, drinks are stronger.

Given that we went at the beginning of May they were just starting to get ready for the summer season ahead, so the bar down the beach was not ready which was a shame as we spent quite a lot of time down there.

Rooms were impecibly clean, maid came in every day and cleaned round/made beds. Clean towels every day.

Beds were single beds pushed together, this was the only downfall. They really do need to invest in some double/kingsize beds.

Food was good, lots of different salads, pasta and meat/fish dishes every day.

Priate ship was a good morning/early afternoons entertainment. The staff on the pirate ship really work hard to make sure you have an enjoyable time.

We were recommended a resturant by our rep Alison which was wonderful. They came and collected you and dropped you off after your meal. I couldn't believe how cheap it was, bottle of wine and 3 courses each was about 90 dinar, and you certainly wouldnt get food as good as that back home.

This is definately a hotel we will return to

Room Tip: We stayed in room 428 which was great. Away from the noise of the bar..
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

I just come back from Tunisia on the 26th December 2010 after spending a week at this hotel over Christmas. You can not fault this hotel, it is a fantastic 3star hotel. The hotel is on the Beach so you roll out of bed and on the white sandy beach and blue sea, it very clean and blissful. If you want a very relaxing holiday this is for you, they is a lot to do if you want to go on excursions also.

I have never stayed 3star before so was a little worried after reading a few reviews, but ignore them as this hotel is much better than a 3star. The staff are all excellent they will do anything for you, they bend over backwards to help you. The hotel has every thing you could want from the Indoor swimming pool, shopping centre, Hairdressers, massage place, games room, English TV room, telephone booth and bank.

The hotel also has a animation team who are all so friendly and make you feel very welcome travailing with a 8 year old little girl they were excellent with her. The animation team would play games during the day like darts volleyball golf and many more and in the evening they would have shows with dancing, music, DJ, and also bingo which was super.

The hotel it self it very clean, the cleaners will come and change your towels and clean your room everyday. The restaurant food is delicious, they variety of food is very good. As a vegetarian and a very picky eater I had no issues I had no troubles from traditional Tunisia food to lovely fresh salads, pizza and chips and cakes and fruit.

The bar staff again were terrific, and would make your drinks to your taste from English tea, coffee, cappuccinos, to cocktails( alcohol and non alcohol) and soft drinks they had something for all.

I would definitely recommend this hotel me and my family are already booking it again for the Christmas and I not a person who normally goes to the same place twice but this Hotel is perfect for all from family travels to travelling as a couple.

A big Thank you to all the staff at the Omar Khayam keep up the good work Mobeen

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

Have just returned from a week at this hotel with my daughter, on arrival receptionist was very pleasant and helpful, room was located in the main hotel and ground flootr which was nice and handy for all facilities, the room had a garden view, was fairly basic but had all that was required for a weeks holiday. Room cleaned every day and towels changed. Restaurant food was of a fairly good standard always plenty to eat and drink. During the day lager, wine, spirits, and coffee freely available until midnight. snacks available late afternoon and late evening at the pool bar. Daily enterrtainment was available if you wanted to join in. darts, golf, aerobics,shuffle board etc. Animation team I must say where very good in what they do always trying to please everyone. As it was the first week or so in November the hotel was very quiet only about seventy guests at any one time mainly French, German and Dutch and about six British. Some reviews said it was all set up for the French and Germans but we never felt this during our stay everone was very friendly. The main water slides were closed for the winter months as was the sea based activities. I would recommend this hotel for a quiet relaxing holiday .
We went to Naebol and Hammamet by taxi both about 5klms away from the hotel each cost 6 dinar (£3) both these towns have Medinas/Souks which are worth a visit but be careful as the shop owners are very aggresive and try to get you into their shop to buy, just be polite and say no and they will leave you alone. Took a day trip out to Carthage and Tunis including lunch 70 dinar (£35) a good value day out we went with A2B Travel .
Down points of the holiday and not hotel related: We arrived at Monistir airport to find that another 5/6 planes had landed within the previous half hour, we had to queue to get into the main terminal building to go through immigration and baggage collection, from landing until we boarded our transfer coach was nearly three hours and it did not end there as we were so long in the terminal our transfer left without us we had to find another transfer coach and wait until that left which was over an hour later and transfer time was 1.5 hours which meant from landing to hotel was nearly six hours I dread to think what it is like at the height of the busy period, the airport was nearly as bad on the return journey

• Stayed November 2010
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

We travelled to the hotel in the beginning of September, my mum 58 and me 23. First we were given room by the road which was noisy as there is a coffee just outside hotel with arabic music, but they changed it next day and we were moved to main hotel. Rooms we nice and clean, towels changed every day. We were also gived beach towels in the reception.
Food was very good for 3 star hotel, breakfast was simple, but good, typycal continental ones with pancakes/doughnuts made every other morning. Morning snack was just chocolate croisants by the bar. Lunch was good, always pizza and pasta, about 10 types of salads, 2-3 types of meat, few types of rice and couscous and cooked veg. Part of this selection was given for afternoon snack together with pancakes and kebab. Diner was similar, with slight bigger selection.
I don't recomend wisiting a la carte restaurant - we had one meal included there. but you just get food from the restaurant served on the plate.
Hotel staff was very friendly, typially chatting up girl, which they always do. There were a lot of animation going on whole day - joga, aquaaerobic, darts, dancing, petang, beach volleyball.... In the evening they always played bingo and made shows or played games, which was fun.
You also should try windsurfing and kayaking on the beach - it's free for hotel guests and good fun.
There is not much to do outside the hotel, few shops only. You can go to Hammamet or Nabeul for shopping, but you don't really get more than by the hotel.
In total, we enjoyed this holiday a lot, it was really good service for 3* hotel, highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2010
Bridgend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

My whole idea of a good holiday was in this lovely package at omar khayam,myself my sons were very impressed with the artistic display in the resturaunt, which serves food we looked forward to eating, we were very happy with the clean orderly way which the hotel was run, the rooms are clean and charmingly located in lush garden surrounds which is impressively well nurtured. we loved our balcony room overlookin the lovely pool area which also included the theme park styled water slides, and lots of beds with parasols to finish the pretty holiday look. I was particularly impressed that the bar at this poolside discouraged to much alchohol, only serving light beer with a variety of refreshing pops for the kids,I could relax and sunbath knowing there would be no calamity involved whith my little un going up and down using the water slides, he was landed I was very happy, there are a wide variety of water sports to entertain us for free at the beach which inc wind surfing, this is definately a bonus attraction, there was lots of entertainment for the kids during the evening tooo, I have to say this was a lovely memorable week and will certainly be keeping the hotel as one of my possible options to return again in the future.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

This holiday was in celebration of my husband's 40 th birthday which he celebrated whilst we were in Tunisia and turned out to be worse holiday ever! Transfer times to the hotel were a lot longer than we expected and when we arrived were told to eat lunch first. Which we did, only to find that we could not eat a single thing (admittedly we are all very fussy eaters but there was nothing!) The head waiter was good enough to cook us some chicken and chips. The restaurant staff we could not fault, our waiter was very nice and the head waiter arranged for us to have chips every day for the duration of the holiday, however some of the meats were not cooked properly. The pancake cook at breakfast would limit us to 1 pancake each but the French guy who used to come down at the same time was always allowed 3!!

THIS HOTEL IS DEFINATELY FOR THE FRENCH! The other guests made it quite clear that we were not wanted at this hotel, at meal times they would talk amongst themselves and actually point at us so we knew we were the topic of their conversations!! We were one of two English families at this hotel, everyone else were French. At one point near the end of the holiday we were asked why we were in this hotel as this is a French hotel, the English one is next door, the Dar Khayam.
My children who are 10 and 6 did not participate in any of the activities as all the other children were French and they were never invited! None of the staff even invited the kids along, they only spoke to us a couple of times and that was only to try and get us to buy a t-shirt for £12! other than that they didn't even try and encourage the kids to join in.

We were given an apartment in the hotel which had 1 x double and twin singles. The sections were offset from each other but there were no doors to either of the sleeping areas and the room was extremely basic, in fact all we had was 3 beds and a tv!! No fridge, no safe, you had a bath with shower attachment over but that didn't work so in the hot summer your only option would be to have a bath!
I found the room to be quite dirty, there were splattered blood marks on the walls in the bedroom and bathroom and under the beds were so much dust and fluff that they could not have been brushed in months! The towels could be changed everyday if you wished and beds were normally made daily although on a couple of days only 1 or 2 of the beds were actually made! I never found the reception toilets to be clean, they would have water all over the floor, no toilet paper and one even had loads of excrement over the bottom of one of the door.
The soft drinks from the bar were always flat, in fact the bar staff would fill up bottles of coke from the coke dispenser and leave them on the counter with no lids. The only time I ever had a proper fizzy coke was during lunch or dinner when a brand new bottle would be placed on the table.

We booked this hotel for the water slides which they have and these were closed for another month, in fact there were no water slides open at all. The only source of entertainment for the kids was the one small inside pool which we had to share with their sister hotel the Dar Khayam. We only spent one evening watching the entertainment all other evenings were spent in our room watching the only English channel we could find. The weather was extremely cold which did not help matters, in fact it was warmer back in Britain than it was in Tunisia! To end our worse holiday ever we were then picked up from our hotel 5 3/4 hours before our flight departed!

I personally will never book this hotel again, in fact my whole holiday experience here will definately make me think twice about ever coming to Tunisia again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Lisbon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

I have booked Dar Khayam for the week 31 December 2009 to 7 January 2010. I have booked directly with the Hotel. The payment was to be due by arrival.

As for the transfer, I have chosen transfer4you because the Hotel's transfer was much more expensive and transfer4you worked quite ok.

When we arrived Dar Khayam with our luggage, we were informed that we were not staying there but at Omar Khayam, which belong to the same chain of Hotels and it was side by side with Dar Khayam. So we had to pick our cases with the help of a Dar Khayam's employee and walk to the other Hotel.

After the check in, we were informed about our room which was quite simple (do never forget Khayams are 3 stars so do not wait for many amenities) but clean and the truth is if we are going on holidays, we are not supposed to stay at the room all day long, so it was ok. The problem with that room was that it was placed right in front of building works, which started at 6am and, having a 4yo child, it was awful.

The New Year's Eve was very nice, the Hotel was full, the animation was great, the dinner was a non stop variety of food.

The animation was the best animation I have seen in Tunisia, being this the 4th time and 4th Hotel (all superior). They are really great and Kids Animators were kind and gentle and all kids loved them.

The food was really tasty (1st time I tasted Tunisian food) and although not much variety it was enough.

My husband had an health problem and they have immediately called an ambulance, which was very kind of them. But instead of taking us to the Hospital in Nabeul, they took us to Clinique Les Violettes (near the public Hospital) where we had to pay 76€, which they have charged twice on my Visa card.

The main problem: they have informed me that the payment could be done with my Visa Card. Since we arrived there, we tried to pay but the Visa "machine" never worked. It looked like it had never worked so was the amount of dust on it. We also tried to make the payment at Dar Khayam but they said the connection was not working. So, for a whole week we tried to pay (although we were not bothered by the Hotel itself to do it) and in the end we found out that either Visa "machine" (Omar and Dar Khayam's) have never never worked as they prefer to get the payment in cash. Fortunately there was a Lady from an excursion company who had a place to work inside Dar Khayam's reception to whom we paid with Visa Card and who paid in cash to the Hotel. So, prepare yourselves to withdraw the dinars to pay the Hotel in case you book directly.

1) Staff is polite and friendly;
2) Animation is superb;
3) Meals were good enough;
4) The room would be ok if it wasn't for the building works right in front of our balcony;
5) I had the feeling that they keep Germans and British at Dar Khayam and all other nationalities in Omar;
6) For a 3 Stars Tunisian Hotel, it was a good surprise. (IT IS A 3 STAR - people forget this and they expect a 5 STAR Amenities)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Omar Khayam Club? Share your experiences!