“Outstanding service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 124 Hotels in Hammamet
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Outstanding service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

A few days ago we returned from a fabulous week at The Orangers. We travelled as a couple, this hotel really does cater for everybody as there was a nice mix of younger couples, older couples and families. After reading some great reviews we were really excited to see if it lived up, and it did not disappoint. We arrived early morning and were greeted with an orange juice and our bags took to our room. The room was pretty standard, we paid extra for a sea view room, although it was a bit on the small side, the view was well worth it, got a good sleep each night as the rooms have air conditioning and black out curtains.
Food and drink - wow what a selection. There was something different every night for dinner, there is always food available 24 hours and we especially loved the pool snacks including paninis and hot doughnuts. Tried the Tunisian A La Carte once, but we definitely preferred the dinner buffet! Drinks were nice, i had cocktails every night. There is also someone squeezing oranges into a jug at breakfast which was to die for, only thing i would say is that it would have been devine if the oranges were refrigerated!
Activities wise we were never bored, the animation team really work hard to make sure everyone has fun, we did archery, water polo, water gym and went horse riding 3 times! The equestrian centre is a 2 minute walk away, which was the highlight for me. Went beach riding and also in the school, and had a little canter. Horses are great but the guy who worked there was a bit creepy, and snappy! which put me off, otherwise I would have done it every day!
We loved the evening entertainment, you have just got to enjoy it for what it is. A different show every night with some amazing dancing! Especially loved getting involved with the club dance every night!! The only downside is that is finishes at 10.30pm, there is a disco but the speakers were that bad in there that we couldn't stay in it! There is next to nothing outside the hotel, we went out into Hammamet once and regretted it. Just to a couple of empty bars and getting pestered on the street, didn't feel safe outside the hotel.
Did a day trip through TC to the animal park and on a pirate ship - would definitely recommend! Held a baby lion cub at the zoo and the pirate ship was loads of fun.
The absolute best thing about this hotel is, as everyone says - the staff. They make this place what it is. Make sure you have a few coins for tips because they thoroughly deserve it. They all work massively long shifts and will do whatever it takes to make sure you are happy and comfortable. They bring you drinks all day long in the heat. Special shout out the Monshi the pool attendant, he is the nicest guy! Always brought you a mattress for sunbed in the morning. The animation team are also brilliant, they make time for each and every guest.
We completely enjoyed this holiday and so glad we picked this hotel and we are already planning our next visit later this year!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Myself and my friends holidayed here in April and June this year , for the 7th and 8th time . After a quick transfer we were greeted by staff (who by now we regard as firm friends) with open arms . We didn't see our cases again until they were in our gorgeous seaview rooms ! With paperwork complete our holiday of utter rest and relaxation began . As we are repeat guests (previous visit October 2013) we felt that we had never actually left !! We soon got established on the terrace , which we rarely left , only for food !! We were extremely well looked after as usual by all the waiters. On one occasion my friend left me alone to play tennis and I decided to close my eyes for 5 minutes . An hour later she returned to find me fast asleep and covered with my pashmina ! Don't know who covered me up but thankyou ! We both had lovely rooms which were kept spotlessly clean by the extremely hardworking housekeeping staff . Likewise , the grounds are beautifully maintained by all the gardeners . We didn't go on any of the TC trips , this holiday is really one of r and r for us . Mahar the TC rep is very visible and approachable . The same can be said of our involvement with any activities - Freddie and the team know we aren't up for it !!! But a big thankyou to you all for keeping us entertained , especially to Arwa and Dina who work so hard looking after the children . And so onto the food . I can honestly say I love the food here . I have never had a problem finding anything to eat at lunch or dinner (I am still asleep at breakfast LOL , but the girls always save me some yummy pastries! ) Just ask - the staff will always endeavour to give you what you want !! Also NEVER have I had any doubts regarding food hygiene standards . We holiday as friends , one of whom is a FOOD SCIENTIST . Therefore if we had any concerns we would have reported them . The staff work incredibly hard to please guests of many nationalities . We enjoyed an extremely special meal on the beach in April as a big group of friends , honestly we were all blown away with the amazing 5 course dinner , beautiful wine and even a saxophonist !!! All of this with the sound of the sea in the background !! Truly magical . My birthday dinner in June was super special too , just me and my friend , but equally amazing . Food , wine , cake , singing waiters , everything - even the red roses made it home !!! So .....all in all we cannot wait until our 9th visit in November and our 10th (just booked!) In April 2015 which is testimony itself as to how highly we regard this hotel . We hold Les O in the greatest esteem , and yes we there is a fan club who think the same !! There are many of us who are repeat guests . Key words . Repeat guests . So .. go and let these wonderful people cater for your every whim and desire , and experience 5 star hospitality , service and food . We are seasoned and experienced travellers who until finding this little gem would never return to the same hotel . Rarely can you refer to somewhere as a home from home , but truly here is my 2nd home . Enjoy x

Room Tip: Superior and deluxe rooms offer spectacular seaviews !
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I went here with my mom in March. The weather was not great so no time on the beach. I would recommend a room with a seaside view, for they have nice balcony's.
The food was great each day and the service was amazing. We really had the feeling that we did not have to do anything and could just rest and read our books.
The beds were fine, shower was not great but warm enough. Each day the rooms were cleaned very well. Make sure you have some money with you for tips.
Don't expect too much of the themed dinners, such as Italian or Chinese. Choose the Tunisian menu en the restaurant. And ask for Mlewi during lunch time, so jummy!

I would definitely go back, but probably in April, May or September.

Room Tip: Seaside views is great and if you can afford it a bungalow also looks very nice! Then you have your...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We arrived here mid morning on 28th may for an 11 day break, we were allocated our room (107) and a friendly porter carried our bags to the room. As it was early the room had been cleaned and was just waiting for clean bed linen and towels, there was a smell of strong bleach in the air but we thought it will be gone when we return and went off to explore the site. When we returned the bleach smell was gone but there was a slight foul smell coming from either the plugholes or the toilet. We reported this and the next morning they put some stuff down which seemed to cure or mask the smell but by bedtime it was starting to return and by the next morning was stinking again.
We reported it again and they said they would have another go at sorting it and if they couldn't they would change our room. They couldn't fix it and the next morning they moved us to room 148. They took us down to room 148 to deposit our bags as the room still needed cleaning. What the hotel or Thomas Cook don't advertise here is that guests are allowed to smoke in the rooms, it took 2 days of leaving the balcony door open all day to get rid of the smell of smoke. I do not understand the selfish mentality of people who smoke heavily in a hotel room knowing other people have to use it after them when there is a balcony a few feet away.

The Food here is at best average, if you like chicken you'll be ok but as other reviewers have mentioned check to make sure it is fully cooked and check all fish for bones. The choice of food is very repetitive chicken, fish and overcooked spaghetti in a very sweet sauce were on every lunch and dinner for the whole 11 day stay. Salads were good and fresh as was the fruit.
One problem the management should address is the layout of the main dining room. Food is laid out in 5 different places in the room all of them with queues, for example if you got some meat from the show cooking area you then had to take your not very warm food to the other end of the room and wait in line behind people wanting deserts as these were in front of the vegetables and potatoes. There were many other examples of unnecessary waiting due to the disjointed layout of the place. The hotel advertises 3 "A-La-Carte" restaurants, Italian, Tunisian and Asian. We tried the Asian and Italian but they are just a set meal there is no choice for the diner. The Italian was ok the food was pleasant enough but the Asian was a disaster. It started out well enough with a plate of canopes, followed by a salad then a delicious soup. The first of the main course items was sweet and sour chicken, now as most people know the sweet and sour elements are pineapple and vinegar. This dish was small pieces of chicken the size of a fingernail with pieces of APPLE from the fruit bar and no vinegar, it was so sweet we thought it was the desert and jokingly asked the waiter for some custard or ice cream to go with it. The next course was meant to be a lamb curry, we got fingernail size pieces of fatty lamb still with bits of skin on it in a sauce that can best be described as cheap watered down bisto, no spice whatsoever.

Now the good bits. The beach is fantastic, the sea is warmer than the pool but it badly needs a proper beach bar. The sunbathing area around the pool is very good, at the back are some king size flat beds with canopies which are perfect for those who can't stay too long in the sun or those with very young children. Staff are fantastic so make sure you look after them by tipping them a couple of dinar. Entertainment, you'll either love it or hate it, that is if you can see it through the cloud of smoke because this place is a smokers paradise.

In finishing this place could have a lot going for it if the management address a few matters such as the dining room layout and the smoking in the rooms but until they do I shan't be returning

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the first week of May 2014.

On arrival we were greated with cold orange juice and chocolate. We were then shown to our rooms. We had a basic room with a garden view which was clean and suited our needs. Hairdryer, robes and slippers were provided along with the usual mini toiletries. The mini bar was empty so we filled it with bottles of water available around the hotel.

The beach was lovely and the staff helped you find a sunlounger. There's lots of shade spots to hide from the sun. We walked quite far passed other hotels without problems. Camel rides and water sports were available. The only downside to the beach was that the sea was far too cold to swim in in early May.

We spent quite a bit of time around the pool area. Waiters fetch you drinks without any hassle for tips. There's a large shady area as well as parasols. The pool was cold but very refreshing on the hottest days. I imagine it will warm up over the weeks

There are 2 buffet restaurants, 2 snack bars and 3 al la cartes. Food is available 24/7 so you won't go hungry. I'm a fussy eater but managed to find something to eat without problems. The desserts are too die for, very yummy. I found the alcoholic drinks were a bit too strong at times, not often a problem in all inclusive hotels.

The hotel was well presented and clean The smell from the oil burners in the reception area was divine. The area outside the hotel looks a little shabby but you have to remember the country is recovering from a revolution. We took a taxi into old Hammamet to experience the medina. Yes you get hassled to buy things but we really enjoyed bartering with the locals, smile and turn it into a bit of fun. It's all light hearted banter. We got some lovely pottery and mosaics.

The staff are brilliant, especially the entertainment team. We really enjoyed the archery with Brian and my partner went horse riding along the beach twice which he loved. It was 60 dinars for 2 hours. There are plenty of other activities throughout the day. The evening entertainment was fun but a little silly at times. The disco opens late, we enjoyed having a bit of a dance in there.

We went on the 2 day Sahara trip which I recommend if you want to see Tunisia. It's a lovely country with very friendly people.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We have just returned after 7 nights in Les O, and i have to say i was very pleased wuth the hotel.
The grounds are beautiful, filled with colourful plants and flowers. We stayed in a deluxe sea view room which was very spacious, and had a huge bed. Fabulous view of the beach. Rooms were clean and in good condition. And cleaned daily.

My two girls, aged 3 and 20 months thoroughly enjoyed the beach, the security guys on the beach were always very helpful and would set up a lounger as soon as they see you arrive. My husband had a fab parachute ride and we manages to haggle a cheap camel ride too.

The food was good, i have to agree with others that it was a bit repetitive but we still ate well every day and especially enjoyed the pancakes and waffles. I have heard that since we left the food has change a bit as the hotel took note of some precious holiday makers suggestions which is great.

Last but not least.... the staff. I have never been to a hotel where the staff have been so helpful and the service was outstanding. They really do work hard and such long hours!

My family had a brilliant holiday and would definately return.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Wishaw, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel 8 times since 2010 and have booked my 9th visit for July 2014.

Prior to visiting this hotel, I would always have tried different places/hotels, however I feel at home here (I wouldn't think twice of visiting on my own).

The hotel is like a tardis, when you arrive it looks unimpressive, however you won't be disappointed.

The rooms are comfortable and clean (slippers and dressing gowns are an added bonus). The maids make your room nice, making shapes from towels and flowers, if you need extra towels, etc. there is no problem, the maids are very helpful.

In the restaurants the food is fine, plenty choices even for my very fussy friends, we have never gone hungry, actually I get fed up eating. Personally I am happy with the buffet restaurant at night and I enjoy the noodles at lunchtime. I don't have a sweet tooth, but the cakes are excellent!!

Bar staff are good fun always smiling, how do they remember every round of drinks (especially when there is 12 of us!!!!).

The animation team work had all day every day, at times I feel sorry for them when people won't join in the fun (including me! That old chestnut, maybe tomorrow!)

Every member of staff are very friendly, welcoming and cannot do enough for you.

All in all I cannot fault this hotel, ignore peoples moans and try for yourself, a holiday is as good as you make it.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Orangers Beach Resort & Bungalows? Share your experiences!