“Excellent First impression of Tunisia” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vincci Taj Sultan

You added Vincci Taj Sultan to your Saves list
Vincci Taj Sultan
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   B.P. 253 Yasmine Hammamet, 8050 | Hammamet, Hammamet 8050, Tunisia   |
Ranked #34 of 124 Hotels in Hammamet
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“Excellent First impression of Tunisia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We would like to share this letter we wrote to the hotel, thanking them for excellent service. We feel this will be helpful to travellers to give them an idea of what type of service they can expect here.

Hello,
We would just like you to know that we were dropped off at your hotel in error last Sunday by our transfer coach driver (We were due to go to Sentido le sultan instead)
As we were trying to check in we were advised it was the incorrect hotel and the manner in which this was dealt with was extremely efficient. Having taken the tour operator's phone number from us, Mahdi asked us to sit down whilst he tried to resolve our problem. We were immediately served with 2 most welcoming fruit drinks following our long journey from the UK. Having handled the situation in the way he did, we were collected within 10 minutes to go to the correct hotel. Mahdi's prompt actions showed him not only to be a very effective and efficient member of your staff, but also a good ambassador for your hotel. Please do thank him once again on our behalf.

Having worked for British Airways for 33 years working with the customer service department, this is the sort of service we strive to achieve within our own teams.

We would also like to say that based on this, we were prompted to look at your website and we would definitely stay at your hotel for future trips to Tunisia and will be recommending your hotel to friends and colleagues as we were so impressed with how this situation was dealt with.

With kind regards,

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Amel A, Responsable Image & Qualité at Vincci Taj Sultan, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Amelia,

First of all I want to thank you for your 5 stars comment on TripAdvisor concerning the Vincci Taj Sultan.

What an amazing coincidence that made this beautiful short experience, I will immediately share your word of prise to our team (And specially Mahdi) who work hard every day to have this type of feedback.

We are glad to know that you have appreciated our service and efficiency.

We will be happy to welcome and serving you in our house and to discover more our beautiful city.

Best regards,
Amel Arfaoui

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have to say it's the first time I have been to Tunisia and won't be the last .
The hotel was very clean and the staff where really friendly and helpful.
We had a family room with two bathrooms and a hair dryer we also had a fridge.
The food was very good and a variety every day something for everyone.The entertainment staff MOMO Rico Gigi Kimo Anis FIFI worked really hard not only with the children but also with the performance they put on every night Well done.
We are looking to return next year

Room Tip: Family rooms are very spacious facing the pool low noise close to the beach
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Amel A, Responsable Image & Qualité at Vincci Taj Sultan, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Debbie,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent visit in VINCCI TAJ SULTAN.

We are very delighted to read your positive experience about the food and the entertainment team.

It is always good to read that our guests found our staff friendly and helpful. We have already shared your comment with the members of our team. Thank you again.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

With best regards,
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I strongly recommend this hotel to everyone it was amazing. Me and my sister stayed here for 7 nights, manager very professional and helpful. There was always hotel entertainment every night which was fun all the team were friendly, room were cleaned everyday we couldn't ask for nicer hotel everything was perfect. If you have a wheat intolerance like myself you could ask the chef to prepare you something nice with your own pasta/bread like we did. We will defiantly book here again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Amel A, Responsable Image & Qualité at Vincci Taj Sultan, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Maisha & Ila,

I'm happy to read that we have contribuate to the sucess of your Tunisian Trip. I will share your word of praise to our team who work hard every day to have this type of feedback.

And to be honest, i have to say that you and Maisha, you are amazing and special guest and it will be a pleasure for us to welcome you again in our house.

With kind regards,
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Dont let the bad reviews fool you but I supose u cant please every 1
This hotel was great definitely recommend as a family trip out to Tunisia me my wife and 2 kids both under 3 there was plenty to do for the kids and plentey to do for adults too the beach is literally 2 mins walk and the sea view is brilliant wouldnt recommend the garden view cos at night time may have issues with mosquitoes food is great drinks are great its clean and every 1 is very helpful especially the hotels customer relations
Its not far from the airport about 25 mins drive DEFINITELY RECOMMEND

Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mervan,

Many thanks for your nice feedback, it's always a pleasure to have this type of review, and I'm glad to know that you had a nice time at the VINCCI TAJ SULTAN.

We will be happy to see you with all your family very soon in our Sunny city.

Best regards.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Animation team are amazing.they work so hard to entertain and they truly make you feel at home.the service is outstanding.i can't find fault in anything.food is delicious and omelettes for breakfast are divine.nothing is too much trouble for the staff.ideal time for us to come.3 adults and a 4 yr old.beach on doorstep.zoo down the road.noddy train round trip 5 dinar each which is about 1.75.definately be back.kimo.momo.rico.gigi and the rest of the animation teamed thanks for making this a truly memorable holiday.the waiter service is above expectations too.best holiday to date .see you all soon.paula.danielle.caleb and debbie room 2119 x

• Stayed November 2014
Dear Paula,

We are very delighted to read your positive experience about the animation, the breakfast and hotel overall.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

With best regards,
Long Eaton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Maxine and Richard Nottingham; Hotel, location, pool wonderful, food and drink plentiful; Animaion team Rico, Momo, Anis, Kimo, Gigi, Mira, Fifi and Will are such friendly and welcoming people, Staff cannot do enough for you, nothing is too much trouble, Would highly recommend and although this was our first visit to Tunisia we would definately return, Thank you for a wonderful and enjoyable stay,

Room Tip: Room was very spacious, clean and had great view of the pool and beach
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Maxine,

Thanks for your recent stay at the VINCCI TAJ SULTAN, during your last trip in our beautiful country.

I'm glad to know that you enjoyed your stay, and I will immediately share your word of prise to our team who work hard every day to have this type of feedback.

We will be happy to see you again maybe to discover more our beautiful city.

Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2014

Travelers, two. Seasoned. Third 5* holiday of the year (Egypt in Feb and Turkey in May..it's been a good year!...and coming up is Paris for Xmas..woo hoo...! )

So, this hotel portrays itself as a 5* which is the main reason why we booked. Upon arrival the surroundings seemed fair and the general vibes were positive, we were shown our first room on the south wing facing external garden with a sea view, although that particular section of the gardens weren't that pretty and there was also a hotel beyond. The room seemed small, had a child cot present, felt empty and devoid of niceness if you can relate.
We straight away decided that we would like a room change and so the porter called down and by the time we got back to reception we were given another key to room 2265 which ended up being a four person room with two bathrooms, balcony and a most pleasant feel to it. It also had a garden view and sea view and was in the path of the sun nearly all day so we were pleased and then began the process of settling in.

Upon which, we realized that there were a few discrepancies in the room. Now, it being a resort one could expect the following items to be present; a box of tissues, bathrobes, shower caps for ladies, a pen or pad, a stocked minibar, tea & coffee facilities, non bathroom glasses for mineral water, an iron & board (which was provided) and probably a few more items that I can't think of just now. There was also not a single piece of information or literature in the room about anything let alone the following; hotel/room/restaurant/spa/gym/hotel facilities and services, local services, restaurants etc etc, not a scrap.

These things really do make the difference between just being in a nice room and being in a 5* hotel room, in any given holiday resort. So, to make things easy for both sides I decided to write a little list of 8 issues which was passed to reception.
The reception manager and a decent enough fellow, dealt with most of these issues on the evening of our arrival, calling the room later that evening to check if we were happy. I told him problems happen but it's how they are responded to which matters and that he had done very well.

What was the list of 8 I hear you cry, 5 of the above plus a very loose toilet seat, a safe with a dead battery and some coffee stains near the air conditioning unit (which were never dealt with but, hey what can you do)

When I did see reception later they showed me that they had stuck our 'list of 8' into their complaints/improvements/training issues book which was good as it shows they are taking a positive approach to improving. I would rather it was kept as an example and learning tool than it being thrown into the bin and I commend the hotel for that, well done.

The only gripe at this point was that for all of the above issues to be resolved entailed about 12 to 15 visits to our room on our first afternoon/evening wether it be safe guy, or toilet seat guy or bathrobe lady or kid with a pen and pad..funny in some ways but we kind of feel that our first night of kicking back and chilling out was, well, wasn't if you understand, moving on.

Room service time, yeay. First time was as you would expect, in this case perfect grilled bass, seafood pasta and some sides, even though there was an hour wait we didn't grumble as they gave us some extras to make up for the delay and also because we are usually humble and patient people anyway.
The problems began on room service number two, again over an hour wait and when the food did turn up the chef had decided to change one main dish and not bother delivering the second!? So after a long wait we receive just one starter and one main. I was a bit annoyed and with the waiter still in our room called reception to find out what the heck, only then to be told pizza is only served until blah blah and they stop doing steak after blah blah. Nobody bothered to call us during our hour plus long wait to tell us this, we could have easily just chosen other dishes from what is available but instead, we get a dish the chef decides we want (consequently the same dish I had eaten on the first evening) and disregards the fact that he is only serving one main..??!! So being slightly cheesed off I said ok fine, take it all back we are going out instead.
Ten seconds later I get a call back from another chap at reception advising me that if I refuse the order then the waiter delivering the food to us will have to pay for it out of his wages..??!! (yes, I thought hummm also).

Anyway, applying some calm and rational to the situation, we decided instantly that the waiter delivering the food to us was innocent in the matter and that there is no way that he should have to pay for a refused room service delivery so we humbly signed for the order.
The advice by reception that the waiter was going to be charged was ridiculous.
We came across this chap various times in the week and he is a good, well spoken and well presented chap and he was only advising me of the 'hotel policy', although being a customer and hearing that an already low paid waiter will have to foot my refused room service order (which was a total shambles) is just not acceptable.

Righty, at this point you may think i'm a grumbling old goat moaning about things unnecessarily however we are B&B for a reason, because we like to go out to restaurants to eat in whichever country we visit. We dined at Barberousse in Hammamet twice for example, and had exceptional food and service. So when it comes to us deciding to give our custom to the hotel we do not expect any less wether dining in the buffet or having room service.

This relates to one of the earlier points about the room having no hotel or restaurant information whatsoever. If this information had been present in the room from the outset we would have never encountered these awkward and unpleasant situations.

I did speak to the reception manager about this but with no disrespect they are very good at rebuffing and basically making excuses for things falling short of the mark. As was the state of the buffet restaurant, chaos at times.
(Either way, reception as an apologetic gesture was kind enough to off us a complimentary dinner in the buffet which we did a few days later. It was a nice dinner and I doff my cap to you)

I say this because making a simple cup of tea at breakfast time was farcical. After our first mornings breakfast I suggested that a jug of milk, sugar and a small bin or container for used teabags and empty sugar sachets, be placed in the 'tea making' area, this never happened.

I really didn't bother with making any suggestions after that, I just watched him struggle every day, the buffet restaurant staff seemed to not realize people going back and forth to three different points within the buffet area, to make a simple cup of tea.
Hot water in one place, milk on the far side, sugar to be grabbed from tables, even getting hold of cups and saucers was difficult at times, although they seemed oblivious to it all. Not good at all. It went on like this throughout the week at every breakfast. What a joke is all I can say.
In addition, the morning service became worse every day, the food choice reduced to the point that on our penultimate morning there weren't even baguettes..!...a mere 7 steamed vegetables to choose from and it only became worse on our last day, come on, steamed vegetables for breakfast most days?
Budgets, cut-backs, low season etc etc who knows, all it did was disappoint us and various other guests as they too expressed themselves, it's a pity really. Food is an important aspect in this industry.

A few more negative points to highlight and i'm done, customer interaction skills are poor at reception at the best of times, seemed very rude and standoffish and just plain ignored us on occasion, one seemed to give off the impression that we were doing her a favor by staying there....who knows...they seemed more interested in talking with the conference that had taken over the lobby. We seemed to be invisible at times, an attitude problem for sure from some did not even try to hide it, training issues indeed. You do not make your guests feel like they are an inconvenience!!
Emmelle on the other hand was most professional and polite and exactly what one would expect from a guest relations professional, so well done to you Emmelle. Keep up the good work.

Spa, put simply before taking our money for a massage package deal we clearly stated that we had options for Thai massage or Shiatsu etc etc but after our first massage which was really not that good at all, they stated that to get a Thai style massage, it's extra. Typical sales full of sales talk, once they have your money everything changes. I just could not be bothered to make a big thing of it, although I did express that I am disappointed in my first two massages nothing was done.
We have both been to Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore so we know what a good massage is and these are novices even in their Basic Relax Massage AND Deep Tissue Massage. Both were regretfully a waste of time. They have much to improve on.
When agreeing any package deals with the Spa, my advice would be to get it in writing on your appointment card exactly what type of massage you will be getting.
We feel a little cheated with this due to the Hamman/Turkish Bath also being a big disappointment. I shall relent soon I promise...not much more to go! ha ha

And just for the record, we tipped very generously throughout the hotel, in all circumstances even with the Spa which was lax in the execution of massage and Turkish bath.

Good Things: Lobby and surrounding area are nice, spacious and a few nice places to chill out with a cup of tea, acceptable terraced area too. The Show Bar is more like a Wetherspoons Pub but is fine to sit in for short periods. The Italian restaurant hummm.
Outside pool and garden area are again fine, cleaned everyday by the maintenance guys, they are hard workers ensuring a clean environment including the beach area. Well done you guys. I'm sure they are little appreciated.
Heated indoor pool is nice.

Animation team are a fuzzy bunch, good all round. A big well done to GIGI, MIMI, MIMO, MOMI, MOMO, BOBO, RICO and the Team Leader ANIS. A good bunch of people, funny and committed to making guests feel comfortable.

The Chicha/Shisha guy was humble and made a good smoke for us every time! Thanks Salem!!

Either way, given these various minor errors we had a pleasant and happy stay, if the hotel can stay on top of the things I have mentioned above then it is on it's way to becoming a 5 star, if and when it ever achieves this I think we would possibly go back at some point, otherwise I doubt we would see this place again.

I hope my comments don't seem over the top or harsh but it's for the benefit of the hotel and future guests. It's just that when you know what's good and what you should get for a 5 star, taking into consideration the respective destination, you come to expect a certain standard, North Africa is no exception. We have stayed at luxury 5 star hotels in Morocco and Egypt also, Tunisia should be able to deliver the same level.

Overall the food is good, hotel is adequate. Just need to improve on internal communications. Improve quality of reception staff interaction and delivery. Get every room to the standard ours was after the dreaded 'list of 8' was ticked off and they'll be on their way!

As the saying goes...'...The Devils in the Details'...

p.s. yes this is finally it....in the supermarket outside the hotel, check your change especially on your last day.

Ok enough already.

Faisal Younis.

Room Tip: Room 2265 is perfect..
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Younis,

First of all, allow me to thank you for this long and detailed review on TripAdvisor, and thank you for your recent stay at the VINCCI TAJ SULTAN.

We are happy that you enjoyed many facility and some aspects of our house.

For the inconvenience please allow us to express our sincerest apologies.Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

We would like to assure you that we lay emphasis on training the staff of our different department to avoid similar situations in the future and deliver quality services for our guests’ satisfaction.

Thank you once again for having given us information on your experience in VINCCI TAJ SULTAN. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back and show you the best side of our establishment!!

Sincerely yours,
Amel Arfaoui

Been to Vincci Taj Sultan? Share your experiences!