“Great Lessons” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Horseback Riding Stables
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The ONLY Riding school at Djerba in Tunisia.Agreed by the FFE (the French Federation of equestrian sport)to pass the galops 1 to 7. Professional trainers providing weekly Courses and individual lessons for Initiation and perfection, Horse jumping and Dressage. Horse lodging and Horse training. Affiliated with the Tunisian Federation of equestrian sport.Located in front of the sea and Open ALL YEAR round
Hong Kong, Hong Kong
“Great Lessons”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I took a one week course over the Christmas period. We had a personalised programme consisting of two hours of lessons in the morning and a four hour trail ride in the afternoon. The lessons were taken at The School and the trails were accompanied by a guide at a local partner company.

During the period we were there, there was a visiting instructor called Lucia who taught the majority of our lessons. I've taken lessons from a handful of instructors and I can say that Lucia is hands down the best I've come across. She has a knack for figuring out what is the root cause of whatever difficulty you are experiencing and finding the solution to it. This teaching method is very different to that of most instructors who just bark the same stuff at you, telling you what you are doing wrong without thinking why and how you can fix it.

The horses are very well cared for and are generally well behaved. Manège horses are generally lazier and more sensitive to the signals you give them (you need to make sure you are giving them consistent signals to make them do what you want) than trail horses that tend to be more forward going and take cues from the leader even without your having to tell them what to do every step of the way. It was no different here and the mare I was riding in the manège did not always do what I wanted her to because I sometimes made mistakes by giving her mixed signals or not being firm enough. Lessons in the manège are very important in my view and cannot be replaced by solely doing trail rides for this very reason. Since controlling horses in the manège require a higher degree of accuracy and discipline, to truly learn to ride well, lessons are indispensable (unless you've been born on a horse).

The owners are super friendly and are very concerned that you get the most out of your time at The School. They were constantly asking for feedback when we were there, asked if there was anything we particularly wanted to work on in the lessons or wanted to do on the trail rides. The guide from the partner company who took us on the trails was fine overall but did tend to take us on the same routes every day and at the start of the week went at a very slow pace until we told him we wanted to speed up a bit! Since we loved riding on the beach we didn't really mind going there repeatedly (maybe 4 days out of the 7?) but if you would like to do a different trail every day, you will need to be very clear (and firm) on that request. As for us, we were fine with the beach route and every day the pace did pick up so we were quite satisfied.

Since we were riding with them the whole day, Jacqui gave us the option of eating home cooked meals at the School clubhouse at lunchtime for 10 Euros per head per meal rather than our going off and finding a restaurant to eat every day. If you are also offered this option, I would recommend you take it as Jacqui is a fabulous cook and will cook local dishes or European according to your wishes (she is English but has lived in Djerba for a long time).

All in all, we came back very satisfied with our week programme. Especially given that the whole thing was privately arranged just for the two of us (not combined with any other customers) and given the quality of the teaching, we found it great value for money. I would most definitely go back if the opportunity arises.

Visited December 2012

London, United Kingdom
“The people are lovely but the horses are horrible.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The couple who run the club are really charming. The teaching was excellent and very thorough but the lessons are really tough as the horses are so bad. We had about five lessons here but canceled the other ones we had booked as we found the horses really horrible to ride.

On day one I got bucked off at a canter. The second lesson I rode another horse and it was very lazy and it took a lot of work to get it to canter. My boyfriend had trouble getting it to walk let alone trot. And on the last day they put me on a pony as the mare was being so lazy and the pony wouldn't even go where i was telling it to and kept on trying to bite my feet. Not fun!

I've done a fair bit of riding, I grew up with ponies, play polo and ride in England about once a month so would say I know how to ride, but these horses where impossible. I think it was partly due to the fact that they are kept in isolation and don't mix with each other and the only exercise they get is in the arena. So they are probably frustrated and take it out on there riders.

I would recommend if you've done a bit riding before going on rides on the beach with the men that work on the beach hotels and perhaps going to the school for one or two lessons to brush up on the basics.

Visited October 2012
RoyalCarriageClub, Owner at Royal Carriage Club Riding School, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
First of all thank you for your review, we would like to make the following comments:
On arrival at our club, you explained to us that your partner was a total beginner and you had ridden a lot on promenades but not had a lot of instruction, we therefore provided private lessons to your partner and you joined the instructor during the lessons to benefit from the instruction being given, I hope that you can appreciate that based on your partners lack of experience we provided horses that were suitable for his level of riding.
For your lessons we needed to provide you with horses that advanced easily based on your experience of promenade riding, but not too difficult, to allow you to benefit from good instruction and be able to improve your methods of riding.
The horse you mentioned that you were bucked off in a canter, the instructor explained to you prior to the canter that you must not pull hard on the mouth when returning to a trot, unfortunately you did this and the horse reacted, where you slid off into the sand and the horse remained next to you. Then you returned onto the horse to finish the lesson. After this incident, the instructor explained again to you why this happened and you agreed with him
Concerning the mare she is a very rider adaptable horse and will easily advance when the correct methods of riding are being used, and you actually saw this whilst one of our many riders who adore her came from Germany to ride her 1 hour per day for 2 months and was easily passing through all the paces together with jumping.
As you were unable to advance our mare easily we tried yet another horse which was our pony, I agree he does play from time to time being a stallion and is not for beginners, however with the right methods of riding is good in all paces and can jump over a meter when used for jumping lessons.
To summarise my response, promenade horses and promenade riding should not be compared to riding school horses. Based on your previous experience, instruction in correct methods of riding take time to learn and cannot be achieved in a few lessons, I agree no horse is perfect but we have fully trained horses for all levels that have up till now made a lot of riders very happy.
Lastly I don’t understand your comment that our stallion and mare horses are in isolation, they are all in their individual stables like every riding school and work happily together in group lessons and in addition in the winter when the climate is cooler, we leave them to play together in our open-air arena, so this comment I cannot answer.
We would be very happy to see you both again and suggest a personalized riding course with us where we guarantee your review will be a lot more positive.
Tielt, Belgium
“The best riding school of Djerba”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We were here for our job and we had nothing to do on our day off, so we started horse riding.
We started with the lessons for beginners and the course is verry good.
Every week we look forward to go to the riding school.
The people there are verry friendly and helpful.
And the most important thing is that the horses get the best care.

regards the belgian guides

Visited August 2012
“Strongly advise for horse riding lover”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

Highly recommended with friendly rider instructor, horse and atmosphere. My husband and myself took 10 hrs lesson over a week and at the end of it we both decided to continue the lesson in England with very much enthusiastic to improve riding skill and possibly back here again with ability to ride along the Tunisian beach in Djerba.

RoyalCarriageClub, Owner at Royal Carriage Club Riding School, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. You both progressed extremely well during your beginners riding course. We would be very happy to see you again and with your continuing lessons in England be delighted to arrange a promenade on the Flamingo Island with 5 miles of natural unspoilt beaches.
Khartoum
6 attraction reviews
“Exceeded Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

My week at the Royal Carriage Club really did exceed my expectations. It is clear that the horses are well cared for which is very important to me. As a beginner, I was challenged by the lessons but never beyond my limits. And I made much progress during my week of lessons and feel confident in continuing with lessons at home. I also stayed at the Club with the full board option and was warmly welcomed and felt like I was leaving friends by the end of the week. Accommodations were comfortable and food delicious. I hope to return one day ....

Visited March 2012