“The people are lovely but the horses are horrible.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Horseback Riding Stables
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The ONLY Riding school at Djerba in Tunisia.Agreed by the FFE (the French Federation of equestrian sport)to pass the galops 1 to 7. Professional trainers providing weekly Courses and individual lessons for Initiation and perfection, Horse jumping and Dressage. Horse lodging and Horse training. Affiliated with the Tunisian Federation of equestrian sport.Located in front of the sea and Open ALL YEAR round
London, United Kingdom
“The people are lovely but the horses are horrible.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The couple who run the club are really charming. The teaching was excellent and very thorough but the lessons are really tough as the horses are so bad. We had about five lessons here but canceled the other ones we had booked as we found the horses really horrible to ride.

On day one I got bucked off at a canter. The second lesson I rode another horse and it was very lazy and it took a lot of work to get it to canter. My boyfriend had trouble getting it to walk let alone trot. And on the last day they put me on a pony as the mare was being so lazy and the pony wouldn't even go where i was telling it to and kept on trying to bite my feet. Not fun!

I've done a fair bit of riding, I grew up with ponies, play polo and ride in England about once a month so would say I know how to ride, but these horses where impossible. I think it was partly due to the fact that they are kept in isolation and don't mix with each other and the only exercise they get is in the arena. So they are probably frustrated and take it out on there riders.

I would recommend if you've done a bit riding before going on rides on the beach with the men that work on the beach hotels and perhaps going to the school for one or two lessons to brush up on the basics.

Visited October 2012
RoyalCarriageClub, Owner at Royal Carriage Club Riding School, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
First of all thank you for your review, we would like to make the following comments:
On arrival at our club, you explained to us that your partner was a total beginner and you had ridden a lot on promenades but not had a lot of instruction, we therefore provided private lessons to your partner and you joined the instructor during the lessons to benefit from the instruction being given, I hope that you can appreciate that based on your partners lack of experience we provided horses that were suitable for his level of riding.
For your lessons we needed to provide you with horses that advanced easily based on your experience of promenade riding, but not too difficult, to allow you to benefit from good instruction and be able to improve your methods of riding.
The horse you mentioned that you were bucked off in a canter, the instructor explained to you prior to the canter that you must not pull hard on the mouth when returning to a trot, unfortunately you did this and the horse reacted, where you slid off into the sand and the horse remained next to you. Then you returned onto the horse to finish the lesson. After this incident, the instructor explained again to you why this happened and you agreed with him
Concerning the mare she is a very rider adaptable horse and will easily advance when the correct methods of riding are being used, and you actually saw this whilst one of our many riders who adore her came from Germany to ride her 1 hour per day for 2 months and was easily passing through all the paces together with jumping.
As you were unable to advance our mare easily we tried yet another horse which was our pony, I agree he does play from time to time being a stallion and is not for beginners, however with the right methods of riding is good in all paces and can jump over a meter when used for jumping lessons.
To summarise my response, promenade horses and promenade riding should not be compared to riding school horses. Based on your previous experience, instruction in correct methods of riding take time to learn and cannot be achieved in a few lessons, I agree no horse is perfect but we have fully trained horses for all levels that have up till now made a lot of riders very happy.
Lastly I don’t understand your comment that our stallion and mare horses are in isolation, they are all in their individual stables like every riding school and work happily together in group lessons and in addition in the winter when the climate is cooler, we leave them to play together in our open-air arena, so this comment I cannot answer.
We would be very happy to see you both again and suggest a personalized riding course with us where we guarantee your review will be a lot more positive.

Tielt, Belgium
“The best riding school of Djerba”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We were here for our job and we had nothing to do on our day off, so we started horse riding.
We started with the lessons for beginners and the course is verry good.
Every week we look forward to go to the riding school.
The people there are verry friendly and helpful.
And the most important thing is that the horses get the best care.

regards the belgian guides

Visited August 2012
“Strongly advise for horse riding lover”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

Highly recommended with friendly rider instructor, horse and atmosphere. My husband and myself took 10 hrs lesson over a week and at the end of it we both decided to continue the lesson in England with very much enthusiastic to improve riding skill and possibly back here again with ability to ride along the Tunisian beach in Djerba.

RoyalCarriageClub, Owner at Royal Carriage Club Riding School, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. You both progressed extremely well during your beginners riding course. We would be very happy to see you again and with your continuing lessons in England be delighted to arrange a promenade on the Flamingo Island with 5 miles of natural unspoilt beaches.
Khartoum
6 attraction reviews
“Exceeded Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

My week at the Royal Carriage Club really did exceed my expectations. It is clear that the horses are well cared for which is very important to me. As a beginner, I was challenged by the lessons but never beyond my limits. And I made much progress during my week of lessons and feel confident in continuing with lessons at home. I also stayed at the Club with the full board option and was warmly welcomed and felt like I was leaving friends by the end of the week. Accommodations were comfortable and food delicious. I hope to return one day ....

Visited March 2012
“Great for beginners!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011 via mobile

I booked a 1-week beginners course after which I could even gallopp on my own. I was amazed how much I learned that week!!!

The riding club is located a bit outside of Houmet Souk in direction of the hotel resorts. Its easily reachable. The riding stable is in good condition and well equipped. Also the horses are treated propperly: it was fun to see my horse roll herself happily in the sand after the lessons.

Highly recommended for anyone wanting more than just a touristic 1-hour promenade on the beach.