“For the price I expected better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Riveredge Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alexandria Bay
Riveredge Resort
You added Riveredge Resort to your Saves list
17 Holland St, Alexandria Bay, NY 13607   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Alexandria Bay
Tewksbury, Massachusetts, United States
“For the price I expected better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Nothing special bathroom had some cosmetic damage and could use updating. for the price I was shocked when they wanted extra money for a refrigerator. Manager was rude and even stood in the way of the front desk when our hands where full. didn't move dint offer assistance..
Room was clean and the maids where polite, helpful, and all american.
Food in the restaurant was good. Orange juice tasted funny and lemonade was watered down or was simply water with one lemon. Internet was free good thing didn't work the greatest. they do have a in and a outside pool though we did not try them out..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
I am sorry to learn that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We do work, everyday, to improve our facility and services, I invite you to give me a call, I would like to speak with you directly to get more details regarding your room and the comments you made about one our of managers, for which I find hard to believe and unacceptable. Thank you for your comments and do hope you will consider visiting us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I came to A-Bay for Pirates week and to celebrate our anniversary. The moment we walked in the door we were treated like family, and not the type of family you're not happy is staying at your house. During our stay we met the owner who was friendly and a pleasure to meet along with all of the staff we came in contact with. During our stay we ventured downstairs and went into the bar area where we enjoyed a few cocktails and the live music. My husband and I are in our early and late 30s and we enjoyed the atmosphere as well as the bartender. Our room had a beautiful view of Boldt Castle and though it was slightly dated it was more than adequate for our needs. On our final night we ate at the resturant upstairs, Jacques Cartier. We were greeted by a beautiful young woman and a handsome man that could easily be mistaken for Clark Kent or Shooter McGavin. After being seated (at a table with a beyond gorgeous view) our waiter was beyond attentive as well as knowledgeable and equally attractive. The meal is something we keep talking about almost two weeks later. It was phenomenal! The chef made a meal that dreams are made of. If I could I would have taken him home with me. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2013
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for your nice comments and for choosing to stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again.
United States - East Coast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I want to love this hotel. We have stayed here many times over a ten year period. And, being that we have family in the area, we are looking for a wonderful place to stay in Alexandria Bay. The only good thing I can say about this hotel is the view from some of the rooms that have a channel view.

As we were checking in at 3:15, we were told our rooms would not be available until exactly 4pm. They were unable to keep our luggage somewhere for us so we had to lug it back out to our car. No assistance was offered. They said they were expecting a tour bus group and our bags would probably get lost.

The beds are terribly uncomfortable. They have some kind of a rubber sheet underneath the regular sheet and when you move you hear the crunch of rubber, feel the sweat created by this synthetic product so near your entire body. The balcony is not shared with other rooms but it may as well be. Some neighbors were smoking all night and the fumes were coming straight into our rooms unless we shut our windows.. And their conversation floated right into our rooms even with the windows and door shut.

The bathroom was not entirely clean. There was the hair of a previous guest in the tub. Gross.

The restaurant used to be quite good. Now, the food is actually not all that edible. One night I ordered the fish special and received a piece of very dried out fish with some sauce over it that tasted like a very untrained hand had put it together. The chicken parmesian my daughter ordered was a grease ball. The desserts had a whipped cream on them that I believe was cool whip.

I noticed a double billing on a particular charge after arriving home. I called to get this taken off my card. The girl at the front desk put me on hold and then disconnected me.

As much as I want to love this hotel, I now have no desire to stay here. We will stay away until they can find a committed manager that actually spends time in the hotel. And tries to sleep on those rubber mattress covered beds. And listens to the voices of their neighbors coming straight into their room. Someone needs to give this hotel a complete overhaul - as in, tear it down and start over.

Room Tip: channel view but don't even bother - go to another hotel.
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

I sincerely apologize that we did not leave you with a positive experience. Unfortunately, we guests do arrive prior to the check in time (4:00pm) and the room is not available, we do not offer storage for luggage, however, it is totally unacceptable that no one offered any assistance returning your luggage to the car and I am actually completely surprised that this was not offered to you and will make sure it does not happen to another guest.

The rubber sheet you are referring to is actually a mattress protector which has a dual role: to protect the mattress and to protect the guests. I do understand that these can be uncomfortable, for some, and we are working on changing them. We have almost all of our third floor completed.

We do have staff, including security, on premise 24 hours a day and are available to assist with any noise complaints coming from other rooms and/or balconies.

I also apologize that you seemed to have a negative experience in our dining room as well. I hope you asked to speak to the Dining Room Manager, at the time, and your issues were resolved and you were compensated.

As you indicated, you have stayed with us many times over a ten year period, for which we are thankful, so I hope you will not allow this one bad experince to outweigh all of those positive experiences that you had with us.
Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I called to make a reservation and the very young girl I got on the phone - was extremely slow when she spoke and I could barely hear her. I asked her for a email confirmation and said it would take over 24 hours - not good. I decided not to book. Thank God -then I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and I think that I made a great choice - the place sounds like a disaster.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
I do apologize if you were mislead, we usually send confirmations within a 24 hour period after management's reivew of the reservation, however, if a guest is arriving the next day or requests a confirmation sooner, we certainly can and do accommodate. Yes, we do have some negative reviews as well as many positive review. It is disappointing to learn that potential guests allow reviews, posted by others, to influenece whether or not to visit our hotel without experiencing it first hand. When I see a negative review that contains completely FALSE statements, one must wonder the motive behind it. We do try our best to provide excellent customer service, however, we are not flawless but try to improve every day.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Not sure where to begin.... Let me first say read these reviews thoroughly before booking at this hotel. I wish I would have before staying here. My family and I have been visiting A-Bay for nearly 40 years. Back in the day, the River Edge was the place to be; even before the new location was built! Years after the new location was built, this place was still a hot spot!!

Recently booked for a honeymoon, basically bragging to my wife about how amazing it is up here! Upon check in, I literally received no acknowlegement after i had been standing there for close to 5 mins! I felt like telling the girl talking on the phone at the front desk she needed to shower. Overhearing the conversations between other guests arriving at the front desk and staff were a joke! The condescending tone and attitude was literally sickening! I thought to myself, who the hell do these people even think they are?!!

Making my way to my room at 4p, the housekeeping staff appeared to just be getting started on cleaning rooms. As my wife and I walked down the hallway with our luggage, we were almost blocked from passing by from a laundry cart on one side of the hallway and dirty trays of room service food on the other.

The hotel has literally no sign of updates since the mid-90's mauve-themed paint job and wallpaper, and it completely wreaked like the musty smell of a nursing home!

Upon entering our room, I walked out onto the balcony only to find a wrought iron fence in between balconies. Not only does this give you zero privacy, how about absolutely no level of security!!!! I could literally step over the fence flat-footed!!!

So, as I lay on the bed looking at the reviews of the River Edge hotel on my phone, I realize that the occasional responses from the hotel manager, Tina are completely canned and nearly the same from review to review!!! Statements such as how they're trying to fix it up and how much they're putting back into the hotel are not a reality!!

I assure you that I am not one to just randomly bash a business or product, but in this case I feel so overwhelmingly compelled to provide this review to save anyone I can the effort or expense of coming up here.

In the future, you could literally not pay me to stay here. If I could, I would check out early and not stay the second night, but I'm sure the chances of getting a refund would be an utter fiasco.

• Stayed August 2013
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
I sincerly apologize that your experience with us obviously did not meet your exprectations, however, I must disagree with some of your comments and feel impelled to set the record straight.
Disgusted? I had that same feeling when I read that you felt that it was approriate to insult a staff member on a personal level, how professional are your actions? I do agree that upon your arrival the staff member could have made some sort of acknowledgement, even though she was with another customer on the phone. I have expressed to the staff how important it is to at least make eye contact with customers approacing the front desk. I do not believe her intention was to ignore or to upset you.

Making your way to your room at 4:00 pm, Housekeeping is just finishing their work, not just getting started, I can see how the maids cart could have narrowed your path if they had not yet been able to put it away properly. I will make sure they are more aware of the carts location.

By some of your comments, it sounds like you are familiar with the hotel for several years now, so, to make a statement that there is "literally no sign of updates" and that it "wreaked like the musty smell of a nursing home" are just simply not true! We have done many things to improve our facility, which include, painting of the public areas (excluding the hallways), as well as 65% of our guest rooms, 90% of our rooms have new flat screen televisions, 85% of our rooms have new heating/air units, 40% of our rooms are equipped with refrigerators. And we are continuing our efforts to increase our percentages to 100% in all of the above areas. All of the above improvements are "Reality".

The wrought iron fences, on the balconies, came with the building (1989), for which I would assume you would know since you seem to be so familiar with the hotel. We do not advertise "private" balconies and the doors are equipped with dead bolts, for security.

Your comments regarding my responses may sometimes seem repetative, however, when someone makes false statements I need to make sure the truth is told.

There always two sides to every story and it seems that you left out some facts, such as your actions after you were told we would not give you free boat dockage, and would not allow your boat and trailer to block our parking lot, and the fact you were asked to leave the hotel, FREE of charge, due to your continued disruptive outbursts, for which other guests complained of, and the fact that you made it clear to our staff that you had every intention of posting on Trip Advisor to degrade us.

We do appreciate all Honest reviews, good or bad, because these reviews do help us grow and improve every day.
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had a wonderful stay in a double bed room on a nice August day. The location is great, right on the harbour near the marina.
The place was clean and nice, great view of the marina and nice indoor pool.

Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
I am pleased to hear that you did enjoy your time with us. Thank You for your comments and hope to see you in the future.
Sodus, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

From the minute we got there, the customer service was terrible. Came by boat and the dock master was not educated as to where my boat should be docked based on what power I needed. They cater to the seasonal dock renters and not the weekenders. Dock hands embarrassed me in front of other guests at the hotel by telling me that my credit card was declined and I had to leave when the truth was the front desk never asked to swipe my card at check in so they never had a card on file, nothing was declined. Outdoor pool was empty and caution taped off. Will never use this hotel again and will tell all my boating friends the same.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Riveredge Resort? Share your experiences!