“The best in Alexandria Bay -- but that isn't saying much!” 2 of 5 stars

You added Captain Visger House to your Saves list
Captain Visger House
2 Church Street, Alexandria Bay, NY 13607   |
Rochester, New York
“The best in Alexandria Bay -- but that isn't saying much!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Found this b&b onTripadvisor and thought it would be okay.

Well, it wasn't.

First off, DO NOT GO IF YOU HAVE A CAT ALLERGY!!! The proprietor does not mention on her website that she owns two cats that wander the property and "generally avoid" the rooms! I am deathly allergic to cats and had to cut my trip short as a result. Not cool.

Secondly, the b&b doesn't have normal tv, but internet tv. While this may not be a huge issue, don't think that you'll be able to watch anything in real time -- or any sports games.

And, finally, I wouldn't mark the food very highly. Yes, there was a lot of it, but it wasn't anywhere near the best I've ever had.

All that said, the location is excellent.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if your bathroom has a DOOR.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
cvisger, Owner at Captain Visger House, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
I never seem to respond to the positive reviews. Thanks to all who offer kind words. To all who read these reviews all I can say is that I value each and every guest who walks through my door and I try to make this a great experience!
The negative ones do get my attention. I am always sorry when someone is unhappy. The first thing I will say is that the website does mention cats. I find that often when looking at websites it is easy to overlook information. The cats do not roam the house! Florence and Clementine live in the Kitchen, basement and pantry. They are gainfully employed as mousers. Yes we do get an occasional mouse. Where ever there is food there will be mice! Occasionally Clementine sneaks into the main part of the house. She likes people but is never allowed to stay. I do not know which guest this was but recently had 2 and I told each of them that I would refund their money so they could seek accommodations else where, neither took my offer. No one has cut their stay short! If someone really had a deadly allergy (deadly is a serious allergy) and the cats were allowed to roam they would have never made it past the front door. I used to have a serious allergy to cats and know what it feels like ( as I have gotten older I seem to have developed a resistance). I still do not allow them in my room nor do I touch my eyes.
As for television. I am always surprised when people visit such a beautiful area and stay in such a beautiful house and want to watch tv, but some do (especially sports enthusiasts). I am not a big tv watcher so this is adequate for me (I have the same in my room) If you stay in Ella currently the television is Roku only. There is a common room that has Roku and Antenna; Hulu Plus, Netflicks, Amazon Prime, ABC, CBS, FOX, CKWS, 3 PBS stations (sports channels). Obviously not enough. Sorry.
As for food, I say it often, it is subjective. I try my best. When guests arrive I will ask many questions about what you like and what you don't. I ask about allergies, medications etc... I also try to cook nutritious and delicious breakfasts. I know that not everyone is going to love everything. All I can say is I try and I care. My food is local, organic, fresh (out of the garden). Probably best for this guest to have the continental at Holiday Inn Express.

I am sorry for this guests unhappiness. I always wish that the communication be done before departing so I have an opportunity to rectify the situation whenever possible. In this day and age it is so easy to criticize (anonymously). Hopefully this person has feels better!

If you are a potential visitor to this area please do not be deterred by this review. The Thousand Islands are a spectacular place to visit . If you choose to stay at the Captain Visger House please note there are cats on premises and the television is basic. What I want readers of this review to know is that I care about your time at the house and work hard at making your time in the 1000 Island memorable. Thank You Sam

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lake Orion, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed two nights and had a wonderful time. Great food, great service, great conversations. Sam (the innkeeper/owner) was a joy and gave us recommendations for dinners and a history of the area. The room was very clean and comfortable. The breakfasts were exceptional.

Jamesville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is our favorite B & B. We try to visit a couple times a year, knowing the the service and food will be delightful. It's like our home away from home. It's located in the heart of Alex Bay and gives you the ability to walk into town and shop, eat and enjoy local entertainment. It is also a short drive to a variety of other attractions whether it be Clayton, Boldt Castle, Canada or a boat tour of the Thousand Islands.

Scotts Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

What a pleasant surprise. My fiancé surprised me with a 3 day stay at Captain Visger House. We were at the end of a 2 week vacation through New York State. Tim and Sam did a great job of renovating the house. Modern features yet they kept it true to the period. Sam was a delightful hostess, very welcoming. The food was so good and so creative. I loved the fact that Sam used organic, farm fresh, healthy ingredients to create delicious meals. I would defiantly return to this B and B.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

We had a "ladies retreat" weekend at the Captain Visger and it was awesome. The house is beautifully restored and spotless. Sam is a phenomenal cook and created gourmet spreads each morning for breakfast, paying attention to every detail. On Saturday afternoon we returned to a delicious chocolate cake on the dining room table just for us. One look at her kitchen and you know she has a passion for food. Sam goes out of her way to accommodate her guests in every way. She let us have the run of the house and we truly felt like we were home. We walked to the shops and boats in Alex Bay during the day and sat around the comfy living room at night enjoying wine and each others company. If you're traveling to Alex Bay I highly recommend the Captain Visger. Worth every penny. See you again soon Sam.

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

This was the first time I stayed in a bed and breakfast and I had a great experience! Everything was so clean and the breakfast was delicious. The location in Alex Bay couldn't have been better. Our host Sam gave us ideas on what to do and even booked a reservation for us. The house is so pretty and the decorations so unique. We are looking forward to going back next year.

• Stayed August 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We are so thrilled we found this gem! Stunning decor and so much care taken on every detail. We were greeted so warmly and enjoyed a killer breakfast daily! Seriously unreal! We booked the Captains Suite and Harmonius rooms and couldn't have been happier. We had our own wing of the house and private entry. Sam even let us borrow the deck to host some family who boated in. You must must must stay here! Special shout out to my new buddy Clementine!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Captain Visger House? Share your experiences!