“Loved it, great as usual!” 5 of 5 stars

Captain Visger House
2 Church Street, Alexandria Bay, NY 13607   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Batavia, New York
“Loved it, great as usual!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

This was our second stay for my husband and I. We chose to stay here again because our first time was super. It was wonderful as usual. The breakfasts were delicious, and our room was wonderful (we stayed in the Ella room).
Sam, the owner gave us ideas of places to go, restaurants, etc, which really helped us have a great trip. There are so many scenic waterfront areas to visit in the area. The food and the hospitality is simply oustanding! Great stay, we will be back again!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We were in Alexandria Bay for a weekend wedding and we like staying at B and B's.
We immediately felt right at home at Captain Visger with a big friendly "hello",comfortable accommodations, and the next morning with huge (and creative) breakfast.
Sam(antha) , the proprietor, was interesting and fun and genuinely concerned about her guests. She is well traveled, an expert chef and an eclectic music lover. If we return to northern NY we will be back to stay, and in the meantime we look forward to meeting Sam next year in SF.

Room Tip: you can't go wrong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

This is by far the best B&B in Alex Bay! It's a beautifully restored historic home with period furniture, delicious breakfasts (we've stayed here twice) and friendly innkeepers. You can see far up and down the St. Lawrence River from the widow's walk! They will accommodate special needs or diets. We will stay here again!

Room Tip: There is a first floor room if you have trouble with stairs and a large suite for special occasions.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We (2 couples) booked two rooms for our stay: the Harmonious and Ella. My husband and I stayed in Harmonious. Yes, the bed squeeked but that did not keep us from sleeping well after all day walking about and boat touring. The mattress was comfortable and the sheets - wow! The house is absolutely beautifully decorated taking the visitor "back in the day." Great care was taken to find out what our food likes and dislikes were; what alergies there might be and would we want coffee or tea ect. and both mornings were greated with enough food to last the day and tasted delicious. Coffee was excellent - and I love my coffee! ONE of my favorite parts of our stay was the care package of chocolate cookies for the road - YUMMM. We felt pampered and well cared for - thank you! I do hope to return some day!

Pompey, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Located in the heart of Alex Bay which allows you to park your car and walk to the local shops, boat tours and entertainment. You can just sit on the front porch with a glass of wine and relax.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

We stayed in the "Harmonious" bedroom. It was a nicely decorated room, though a bit small. The location is great, 5 minutes from the boat cruises and shops.
The owner was nice and the food was good.

The reason why I gave it 3 stars is because, our bed was very squeaky (every time you shift in the night you end up waking up yourself and your partner) and so we did not get a good night sleep either night. The food was good but not as good as we had in other B&Bs or as much as it was hyped about. Also, the room is too small for its price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
cvisger, Owner at Captain Visger House, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
As the owner of this small business i pay close attention to reviews about the Captain Visger House. This is not a hobby, this is my livelyhood. I appreciate each and every guest that chooses to stay here and I do value the money they spend doing so. I believe a stay here is a great value. The house is beautiful, the food is excellent (obviously subjective) . My eggs are local and farm raised, as is my bacon and the majority of my ingredients are organic. We roast our own coffee. I do not have set menus. Breakfast is designed around the tastes of my guests. When guests arrive I make a direct request to please communicate any problems/issues they may encounter so that I may have an opportunity to resolve them while they are here.
The house was built in 1856. The furniture in Harmonius is original to the period and to this area. It is an a full size oak bed (and set) that has been retrofitted to accommodate a queen mattress that itself is amazingly comfortable. After reading the review I ran upstairs and jumped on the bed there were squeeks, the greater the activity the more the squeek also the larger a person is I believe the more the bed will squeek. I will try silicone to see if that will solve the problem. We may try a structural brace to help the problem. I will not diminish the level of anquish this guest felt at not being able to sleep. I will also say this is the first guest to mention the problem.
What is so upsetting and frustrating is i was given no opportunity to resolve this issue while they were here. Leave unhappy and complain to the world . Thank you to all who stay and enjoy the house there are many. To this person, thank you for your business. I am sorry you felt it was not worth it. Please do not come back!
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

My wife and I just returned from a quick one night trip up to Alex Bay. We were looking for a little get away and I had a hard time finding a decent place to stay in the area until I came across the Captain Visger House. We booked the one night "Autumn Special" which includes a dinner.

The house is gorgeous, the location is great, Sam is a wonderful host and the food is to die for. The room was beautiful and thankfully lacked a TV. My wife and I immediately felt relaxed and settled.

We headed downstairs to talk to Sam about dinner options and let me tell you what a fantastic experience it was. Sam immediately offered us a glass of wine, appetizer and presented us with some fantastic options for dinner. My wife and I have traveled widely and eaten plenty of high dollar meals, this meal ranks right in the top of all our meals.

Oh and did I mention Sam does an excellent job with wine selection and wine availability. I can assure you our glasses weren't empty for long. And to top off the perfect night Sam provided us some delicious chocolate brownies topped with some roasted pears. We brought our glasses of wine and the brownies back to our room. A perfect evening.

Alex Bay off season is pretty dead, so anyone expecting lively nightlife would best look elsewhere. But trust me you wont need or want to leave the house for long.

The value of the Autumn special is amazing. This is a wonderful place with a wonderful host, we are already planning our next trip!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Captain Visger House? Share your experiences!