“Stay away. New management is letting the place fall to shambles.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bonnie Castle Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alexandria Bay
Bonnie Castle Resort
You added Bonnie Castle Resort to your Saves list
One Outer Holland Street, Alexandria Bay, NY 13607   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Alexandria Bay
“Stay away. New management is letting the place fall to shambles.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We spent Valentine's Day weekend at Bonnie Castle for a weekend hockey tournament and could not have been more disgusted. It began when we checked in around 3pm and found the room we booked to wreak of smoke. It smelled like someone had been chain smoking in there for months, which turned out to have been the case. We let the room air out with open doors for 6 hours while we went to watch some of the hockey games. Then the fun really began.

We went in to turn all the lights on and check out the room, and when we got to the bathroom, we found the light fixtures had hundreds of dead bugs in them as pictured with this review. I told my girlfriend to stay out of there not wanting to ruin her weekend, and went down to the front desk to get the problem handled. When I got there another couple was in front of us with a ceiling that was leaking and they were given when I was told was the last available alternate room. I was then told the woman at the front desk would get on the phone with the manager and figure out a solution.

An hour later nothing had happened so I took pictures and went down to show them this wasn't a small issue. The woman came up and took pictures herself for the manager, but told us that there was no maintenance staff on call as they went home at 10pm, and that the manager wouldn't be coming back so there was nothing they could do until morning. We ended up simply closing off that room and staying with her parents in another room until morning.

Morning arrived and we waited for management, who never showed up. I went to the desk again and was told once again maintenance was coming. Someone did finally show up and he was as shocked as we were. When he disassembled the lights hundreds of dead honeybees fell into pieces all over the bathroom. We left him to finish and left for 3 hours to go watch another hockey game.

When we got back, we couldn't believe they had simply left the mess in the bathroom. Nobody from housekeeping had come to clean up the debris and pieces of bugs all over the bathtub, shower, and floor. I ended up having to go down to the desk once again, and they seemed shocked we wanted someone to clean the mess. It was now nearly 1pm, and it had taken 16 hours from the time we made them aware of the issue to finally get it resolved.

The manager finally called to apologize for the issue and seemed shocked I was upset and not pleasant with her after she neglected her job. I told her in no uncertain terms that she should have been there last night dealing with the issue when she was called, not waiting until morning. She thought "it was just a couple flies in a light fixture", but when a customer comes to you repeatedly to tell you it's a larger issue, You don't disregard that. The mere fact that there is no one available from maintenance from 10pm till 8am and only 1 staff member for an entire resort on a holiday weekend just shows complete disregard for their customers. We won't be back and we hope for your sake you stay away as well. Absolutely disgusting hotel with even worse staff and service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Christine P, General Manager at Bonnie Castle Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for your recent review on Bonnie Castle. We apologize that are efforts and conversations were not sufficient for you. There is no excuse for the Honey Bees that were found in your room. it could of been handled better and I apologize again that it was not. We are striving everyday to make Bonnie Castle a better place to stay, and although not there yet, we are getting there.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Remsen, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed overnight and I had booked the "all-inclusive" package. I guess it's just as easy to give a pro vs con review as it is to write a story. So here goes.

Pros:
Excellent food. Everything we had was top notch, truly a wonderful taste experience.
Service was good. Both timely and professional
Excellent view from the restaurant area. I think the view from the room would have been alright as well, in the spring/summer. A lot of boats being stored now clutters the view though.

Cons:
When you first pull into the massive complex it's difficult to tell where you're supposed to go to check-in.
Our room was comfortable, but it looks dated. Nothing terrible, just needs a bit of modernization.

Overall I thought the package we booked was a good value. I very much enjoyed our couples getaway. We are already talking about going back in the summer with the kids.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Christine P, General Manager at Bonnie Castle Resort, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for choosing Bonnie Castle for your weekend get-away and our All-Inclusive Package. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed yourselves and will be back. Please know that we are working on updating rooms everyday, so far this Winter we have a stripped, painted and re-carpeted a number of rooms and we are still scheduling more. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.
Waymart, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

My fiancé and I stayed there for our anniversary and were not impressed at all for the price! His parents dock their boat at their marina so we were figuring good service. First we showed up and didn't receive the waterview room we had paid for and were promised, instead we got a view of the parking lot. We also had to call about a few different problems - toilet not flushing, jacuzzi not working and light bulbs out. We're getting ready to book our vacation up there for this summer and definitely not considering Bonnie Castle! Too expensive for the service received.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for trying Bonnie Castle, I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations and are service wasn`t up to the standards that we are striving for. We are a work in progress and although we have accomplished much, we know we still have more to do. Please know that I have contacted those department heads and they are working on making our guest services a better experience. Feel free to contact me so we can talk about rectifying your stay.
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed two WEEKEND nights and maintenance chose this particular weekend to drain the one and only ice machine in our building. Why the staff would pick a weekend day rather than a mid-week day when there would be few, if any, guests is very puzzling. Accommodations, in general, were adequate.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Christine P, General Manager at Bonnie Castle Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at Bonnie Castle, we apologize that we did not meet all of your needs during your stay. We are under some pretty exciting renovations and we are trying to accomodate all of our guests to the best of our ability. Please excuse the weekend ice machine and know that we are working for improvements. Feel free to call me and discuss any of your concerns.
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I and my family attended the New Years Eve celebrations at the Bonnie Castle. The rooms were amazing, the food was outstanding and the whole experience was better than we could have imagined. The service was great and the check-in was fast and pleasant. The package we were on included a wonderful breakfast the next day. We were unsure what to expect when we booked based on a number of the reviews out there on this resort. Those that are critical must not have stayed at the same resort my family did. The rooms are clean, functional and the beds are second to none. The service was attentive but not overbearing. The food at this resort is excellent. Everything was cooked to perfection and the bacon/potato soup was perhaps the best we have ever had. I really cannot recommend this hotel enough. Its location is perhaps the best in the area and everything the resort promised, they delivered. Well Done Bonnie Castle Resort. Our family will be back!

Room Tip: If you are travelling with pets, like we were, ask for rooms 125/126 as these are located perfectly...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Happy New Year to you and your family and thank you for your recent stay at Bonnie Castle. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed yourselves at our New Years Celebration. We are striving everyday to be better and better and when we see that our efforts are working it is good to know. We look forward to more improvements over the winter months and are eager to show them off. Look forward to seeing you again.
Spencerport, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

One of the best views of Boldt Castle on the River. We needed to come up to the Bay for the weekend and happened upon their every room is $70 special for the month of November. We were lucky enough to be given a riverview room. The furniture is dated, so what, it was clean! Also, our mattress and the high count sheets they use are so comfortable. Really nice to have a extra minibar counter and mini fridge in the room. The balconies are small (picture not wide), but adequate. The rooms around us were all full with other guest yet we didn't notice any noise. We ate dinner at the Sports Bar right at the resort, the bartenders were very nice and fun to hang with. Take a walk around the resort and marina, so much to see.

Room Tip: Choose room 347, 348, or 349 to get the best views of Boldt Castle.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine P, General Manager at Bonnie Castle Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
We are so glad that you were able to take advantage of our Discounted Rooms for November. Thank you for noticing that we are improving the Resort and we will continue to take steps to being better. The Riverside Sports Pub has a great atmosphere and great food as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I arrived to video a wedding, which went well and my wife and I at first were not impressed at the front desk. But the room was very nice. However, after we got back to our room in the morning after taking a shower I stepped on the marble part of the floor before the carpet and slipped on the marble and as my foot slid off the marble on to the carpet, my foot was cut several times. Under the carpet was a tack strip hid below the carpet with all the pins sticking up. I showed the manager and she said she was sorry and that the owners would give me a call and that was the last I heard from anyone, I sorry to say. I was thinking of taking my family back to them but not now! Very uncaring owners and they live in the same city as I do, Rochester,NY.

Room Tip: Check the carpet at the point you walk into the bathroom and it becomes a tile floor. To see if you...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Christine P, General Manager at Bonnie Castle Resort, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
First I must apologize for the confusion. This concern is severe, and I must assure you that the Owners did not know that you were informed that they would call you. They go above and beyond caring here for the guests and employees. I will be looking into this to see where we went wrong. Please know that customer service is something we take very seriously, and we are striving to re-build Bonnie Castle and all employees here are working for those goals.

Been to Bonnie Castle Resort? Share your experiences!