“Great family trip!” 4 of 5 stars

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
7 attraction reviews
“Great family trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We took the International trip. They asked us to go on the boat that was ready to leave but no room on the top deck. We chose to take the second boat. No problem since they provided free parking. Came back at suggested time but there was already a line. Got the top deck and the trip was awesome. We had a great tour guide and the views were wonderful. Got off at Boldt castle and thoroughly enjoyed the whole trip. Boat was clean and had some snacks. During a break, they invited any kids under 12 to come to the Captains quarters and steer the boat and get a Captains license :). They did a great job!

4 attraction reviews
“Must have had a new guide”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

What a beautiful part of this country! The day was sunny and HOT (unusual for this far north), but we enjoyed every part of this trip. The boat for our tour was clean and the staff friendly. We asked one of the workers which side of the boat to be on for this particular tour (Millionaire Row), and he said 'left', so to the top left we went. The tour guide was kind, but had to read from his notecards about certain places, so we assumed he was new. He was hard to hear as well. We still learned a lot and saw some beautiful homes on the 1,000 islands. We also saw the smallest inter-continental bridge. This is a tour worth taking!

Toronto, Canada
“some tips to save money, time and to have more fun.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Drive 15 minutes further from Gananoque boat line to Alexandria Bay, New York to take Uncle Sam's Boat cruise. First of all, you pass through two bridges while you are driving there and get a scenic aerial view of all the islands. Secondly, you can see the Boldt castle for free from the Sam's cruise dock. Even if you take their cruise, it is only $8 to go to see the Boldt castle. Taxes are included in that cruise while in gananoque cruise you have to pay taxes. Also, the Boldt cruise from Gananoque are 5 hours. You are given only 1.5 hour at the castle. With Uncle Sam, you are at the castle in 15 minutes and enjoy the castle as long as your heart desires and take the shuttle back whenever you are ready to go. We took the one hour gananoque cruise first and then drove to Alexandria Bay, USA to take the Boldt cruise because we wanted to save time and money and enjoy the castle too.

Reedsville, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

A must on your to do list. Great tour ,They tell history facts and legends , great view of the islands ;beautiful homes ;tour Bolts Castle.We did 2 Nations

Visited September 2012
New York City, New York
“Disgusting Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

If you are not thinking to ruin your vacations, don't try to exercise your human right to express your admiration using your voice!

I am a Cuban doctor resident in New York, today I was having a nice summer day with some colleagues and family using one of this boat....Of course motivates for the beauty of 1000 island and places I was having a nice conversation with one of my friends of course using my native language SPANISH. Suddenly we were interrupted by one of the touristic guide, or better said bother by him, which take the attribution to interrupt the tour he was giving to go back in the boat and Exclaim using a derogatory tone. Are you thinking being tanking during all the tour!!! Because I can listen your voice. Do you speak English? Immediately we answered him of course we do, and perfect and clear English start to flow from my mouth to give to this insolent the kind of response he deserve.

You know what dear friends I toke that personal and as a discrimination act, he does not have any right to scold us in front of 100 people and without any reason especially if I am paying a price and not cheaper than other customers, that never happened to me even in my professional life.

This Touristic Guide don't have the minimal idea about customer service or being polite or respectful with the customers and put in risk the image of the prestigious company he is working for... Of course that we reported this to the manager bout I cannot trust because the kind of apologize I saw was trying to justify this guy behavior.

To end this reflection two hours after I read a phrase in Boldt castle said by george Boldt "whatever success I have had was due to my attention to my guest" I think this guide should visit this castle more often to see if in that way he kind memorize this phrase and learn how to deal with people, skills that seems to be he have deficient.

Visited July 2013
RGThomson2012, Owner at Uncle Sam Boat Tours, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
My General Manager spoke to the reviewer after they came back from visiting Boldt Castle on Saturday. He listened to his concerns and apologized if one of our employees had offended him. He went on to explain to the reviewer that he would be meeting with the employee and the Captain of the boat in the morning to review the incident with them. The reviewer was angry and adamant that it was not necessary for us to talk to our employees and that we should rely only on what he told us. He left very unhappy with the fact that we were going to also consider what our employees had to say.

At the beginning of our tours, after we welcome everyone aboard and go over the U.S. Coast Guard safety requirements, we state the following: “For passenger safety and the viewing pleasure of all passengers we ask that everyone please remain seated during the tour unless you are getting up to move to another deck. We also ask that any conversations you have be done in as low a voice as possible.” The reason for this is our customers are on a sightseeing tour and we take great pride in the information we have researched and given to our tour guides to tell everyone over our public address system. Our area is blessed with great beauty and a very rich history.

In speaking with our Captain he told us it had been necessary for our tour guide to ask two different groups of customers (one of which was this reviewer) to please sit down. The customers (with the exception of the reviewers group) complied with no problem. There was the additional problem that the reviewer’s group, while they seemed to be enjoying themselves, were talking much too loudly and interfering with other customers ability to enjoy the tour. Our tour guide went to talk directly with the reviewer and his group and was informed by the reviewer pretty much as his review states:

“This is a free country and I have the right to choose don’t listen any kind of tour if I don’t desire, of course without bother any other customer. I don’t think the tone of voice we used have been so loud to interrupt a tour that was given by 4 high potency speakers in middle of the breeze of the lake.”

While yes you do not have to listen to our tour, the reviewer unfortunately was not willing to believe our tour guide that speaking at the level they were was in fact bothering other customers. After this incident happened a passenger came to the pilot house and gave the Captain his name and telephone number (an unusual event) in case the tour guide got in trouble over what he had witnessed. I spoke with that gentleman on Sunday and he confirmed our Captain’s recollection of what occurred.

As the reviewer quoted: George Boldt "whatever success I have had was due to my attention to my guest" I agree but my company has an obligation to look out for all our guests and we cannot allow a few to ruin the experience for everyone else.

Again, as my General Manager stated, we are sorry the reviewer was offended in the way our tour guide handled the incident and we are reviewing exactly what should be said and how it should be said when this sort of thing happens again.