“Not bad for Udon and the price” 3 of 5 stars

Karin Hotel
37 Wattanuwong Rd, Udon Thani, Thailand   |
Ranked #36 of 45 Hotels in Udon Thani
Shanghai
“Not bad for Udon and the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

I stayed there for 4 nights while visiting a friend marrying a Thai girl.

For the price, it's not bad, the room is quite big and clean, provided you request a room in the NEW building at the back. Also very quiet.

The lobby is infested with mosquitos at night time though, and it's the only place you can get wifi. Annoying and the hotel isn't doing anything about it. You can get out of the hotel and turn right, walk for a while until you reach the GURU coffee shop, which has free internet.

Management is not very accommodating. I had a problem with electricity in my room, and I asked to be moved in order not to wait for them to fix the problem. They flat out refused even though the new building is pretty much empty of customers.

In the end I remembered that this wasn't BKK and this wasn't a 5 star dig, and I gave up and stopped worrying about the inevitable imperfections. For the price and for Udon (which let's face it, is a bit of a god-forsaken place compared to, say, BKK), this place is pretty a-ok.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Thai first
Udon Thani, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

used to be a regular, as live in the are and would use when not wanting to drive home. decent value, though many more available now. scammed by reception on deposit and change, obvious lies and deception, with reciept changed. fellow workers in on scam, and of course, multiple attempts to talk w/manager failed.....stay clear of this place

Room Tip: ruysuk, top mansion, tkc mansion, jan condotel
  • Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

This place is a dump plain and simple. Checked in and went to room to unpack. Noticed mini refrigerator was not plugged in so I followed cord through a large wardrobe only to be greeted by a nest of cockroaches. Bad, but not the worst thing. Pulled the sheets back on the bed to be greeted by a combination of ants and bedbugs. Sheets had multiple blood markings on both twin beds in my rooms. Went to front desk with roach in tissue to show clerk. Seemed completely unsurprised and handed me a can of Raid. Changed rooms and checked out following day. The money you save by staying in this garbage can is outweighed by the extermination costs incurred upon arriving home. Unless you're a peasant from SE Asia, or a poor farang looking for hookers, this place is not for you.

• Stayed November 2010
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

The rooms we stayed in were surprisingly big for such a low cost, and they were furnished with air-conditioners and mini-refridgerators. There were also a very wide selection of television channels available. 2 bottles of water were provided for each room together with 2 glasses, and the bottles will be replaced each room-cleaning session, so you get a constant supply of bottled water.

However there were a lot of mosquitoes in the rooms, so be sure to apply insect repellent and/or wear clothes that leave minimal skin exposed when sleeping. Hot water for bathing will be available only in the morning and evening, while hot water for drinking purposes can be purchased in the restaurant located at the hotel lobby. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant comes at 80 baht and is pretty filling for an average appetite.

The staff there is approachable and honest. We left some money in the room one morning as a tip for the room-cleaning service staff, but the money was still there when we returned in the night. Still, I would recommend that you keep your valuables with you at all times (there are no safeboxes provided in the hotel), just to be safe.

The hotel is located within walking distance from a shopping mall and a huge night market, as well as various small shops and eateries. Overall, this is indeed a value-for-money hotel experience and I would definitely go back to stay the next time I visit Udon Thani.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Oudomxay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

I stayed at Karin three times, a total of 5 nights. My first time I stayed at the cheap rate room which was horrible because I did not know there is a big new building in the back. I chose to stay at Karin the second time because a Tuktuk driver told me that there were very nice and new rooms in the back building. I tried and I liked it. I am going back again in a couple of days. This time I am bringing my husband. Smile. You need to ask for a new room. The cafeteria is nothing to recommend because the food is not good at all, neither breakfast nor lunch. And the waitresses had sour faces and made us wait for a long time. I walked out to the main road and got local breakfast, very cheap and good.
The tuk-tuks are at the drive way waiting to take you anywhere anytime starting at 50-60 baht per person.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

We checked into the Karin after it was suggested when we couldn't find our first choice place. After we had paid up front, we were informed there was currently no electricity in the rooms. A power cut was understandable given the horrible storm of a few hours earlier, but we should have been told before we handde over the money.

This was at 11 at night. They said it would take 20 minutes to fix. When we returned at midnight it was still down. The English speaking receptionist had vanished and we received no help whatsoever. Eventually we were shown up to our room via torchlight. The lack of electricity meant to fan, no air con and also no water either. They asked us if we wanted to check out but made no effort to find us another hotel.

So we stayed as we had to be up for an early flight. When we had tried to book a cab to the airport on arrival at the hotel they told us there was a 24 hour presence outside the hotel. Not so when we got downstairs the following morning. And even then they couldn't book one over the phone as apparently all the lines were busy. Hopeless service.

Other than that the hotel was fine.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

We stayed only one night at the hotel, it was OK for that purpose, but I wouldn't like to stay there any longer.
The room was large - big plus! It was also very quiet - another big plus. Location was good close to the bus station. The rate for the room only was 430 Baht, including breakfast 560 Baht. for 2 people.
I made the booking by phoning them, no language problems.

Big minuses were the breakfast and the bad condition of the room. Breakfast was terrible; oily, luke warm fried egg, a piece of toast and tea/coffee, no juice or fruit etc. The walls of the room were stained with water marks and peeling paint. It really needs a good clean up and fresh coat of paint!

• Liked — Large room
  • Disliked — Bad condition of the walls
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Karin Hotel? Share your experiences!