What it is not
Sunwing is not a 5-star establishment and it doesn’t pretend to be. If you’re looking for hi-end at Bangtao, stay at the Laguna group of resorts. You get what you pay for here. You don’t get smoked salmon, herbal teas, chunks of honeycombs, egg benedicts nor freshly squeezed juices at breakfast. If you want that, go stay at the Renaissance Mai Khao.
What it is
It is in essence, a family-friendly resort chain. There’s a clinic, kids club, and kids below 12 eat free with paying adults. The rooms come with 2 sofa beds, with enough towels and beddings for 4. The pantry is equipped with cutleries and a microwave. However, there isn’t a bathtub or a hand held shower. Not so easy to shower young kids properly. A baby tub is provided only in the Happy Baby Studio. The TV is CRT, so you can’t plug in your media player. There’s cartoon network, so that helps keep the kids entertained briefly while you jump into the shower.
Where it is
Sunwing Bangtao is located almost in the middle of the 6km stretch of beach. Mostly calm, shallow sea. Just a few jelly fish to watch out for. The hotel has direct beach access, which is great. The wading and kids pools are by the beach too. There are a few easily accessible beachside eateries but beware of high tides in the evening. If you venture farther, chances are you’ll be wading in sea water trying to get back to Sunwing. Just opposite the hotel entrance, there’s quite a nice restaurant. The prices are the same as those casual beach side ones. If you prefer to have more variety, choices, shops and free internet access, stay at hotels nearer the Best Western side. The shops are there.
As we visited during the low season, the breakfast spread wasn’t great – we had better at a cheaper hotel – but hey, it filled us up good. Food quality was fine.
The Spa was a let down. The treatment wasn’t bad. Just overpriced for a place so old and uninteresting. It’s 5 star price for 2 star ambience, amenities and 3.5 star treatment. Definitely had better for the same price. There are much cheaper and better value available nearby.
Like most international branded hotels, in-room internet access is expensive. They do have free access at the lobby though.
No complaints re service staff. Those from The Philippines speak English and the Europeans are multi lingual.
On the whole, we prefer the newer Sunwing at Kamala beach. Sunwing Kamala has bigger pools, better movie area and is better located to amenities. The only downside is the rooms are located far from the beach, unless you get the beach front rooms. OH and no free internet access at Kamala.
We’ve been to Phuket close to 20 times and stayed from Kata Noi to Phang Nga, at US$50/night – US$1000/night hotels. Chances are, we won’t be staying here again even though we had a nice stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sunwing Resort & Spa Bangtao Beach is a fully contained family resort with its own restaurants, entertainment programs and a host of activities for all ages. For those whose ideal vacation consists of sipping colorful concoctions while dipping a toe in the surf or dozing off under swaying casuarinas trees, then Sunwing Resort & Spa fits your bill to the tee. NOTE: Kids stay, play & eat for free! (contact the hotel for more infomation) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda and HostelBookers so you can book your Sunwing Resort & Spa Bangtao Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunwing Resort And Spa
- Sunwing Hotel Thalang
- Sunwing Hotel Cherngtalay
- Sunwing Resort & Spa Bangtao Beach Phuket, Thailand