“Better hotels, better locations around” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Amora Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Amora Beach Resort to your Saves list
Amora Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   170,17 -0/1 Thaweewong Rd., Pa Tong, Kathu, Phuket 83150 | Cherngtalay, Talang, Phuket 83110, Thailand   |
Ranked #42 of 52 hotels in Thalang District
Oslo, Norway
“Better hotels, better locations around”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

Deserted location. Slightly old hotel, but with no charm. Strange smell in room. Noisy fridge. Noisy ventilation. Hard matress. Very expensive wifi. Lots of stray dogs around hotel. Almost no shopping or restaurant nearby. The good side: Nice garden. Two large pools. Close to nice beach.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

Like most, I read up all the reviews I could find on the Amora Resort and it concerned me that there were many strong complaints covering the gamut of language issues, state of the room, location, high cost, and more, but on getting here, I loved it from the minute I walked into the lobby! Which reminds me a bit of the Raffles Hotel in Singapore, which is my home. It has a slightly colonial look, just not as vast.

I'm writing this from the hotel right now. Firstly the rate I paid through LateStays.com was great! S$62 per nite inclusive buffet breakfast and tax/service.

They did not give me the same room type I saw when I booked it but it's decent enough with a tiny balcony which I don't really need to use when I can laze by the beautiful, magnificent pool.

The pool was actually what drew me to the hotel as I planned on swimming during this de-stress and de-burn-out holiday, and it doesn't disappoint. It's so large I'm sure it has tides, and you see ripples and waves on it when there's a breeze!

It's off-season now but it doesn't rain continuously and not every day. Service is excellent and the majority speak a little English. Definitely enough to make yourself understood.

Bang Tao Bay is beautiful but at this time of year, no swimming is allowed, and I'd agree as the surf looks a bit rough. I walked from one end of the bay to the other (takes about half an hour and is tiring on soft sand) and there are nice little restaurants and bars close to the Amora as well as further on. I intend sampling a few for dinner and Singha beer while I'm here.

If it's quiet you want, this is it. If you find the hotel prices high and do need to buy stuff like snacks or groceries or toothpaste or batteries, etc.,, there's a Tesco's within a 20 minute walk. It's just at the junction of where the road in to the Amora meets the main road. During my walk, I saw buffalo in fields, which was quite nice.

The breakfast is pretty decent with mostly western food like cold cuts, sausage, toast, pastries, fresh fruit, plus a small selection of local stuff. I've been here 4 days now and haven't tried it all yet! You can also have an omelet or other varieties of egg made specially for you.

I had dinner the first night I was here and had a local dish of fried rice with seafood (shrimp, squid and fish), which was very good. I agree prices are high but it really depends what currency you convert it to. When I convert to Singapore Dollars, the prices aren't too bad for a hotel restaurant.

I bought unlimited wireless Internet access for 1 week for BHT1,200, which isn't high to me. Of course you pay proportionately more if you buy shorter durations.

I hope this review helps you decide. I would definitely recommend this hotel and may come back again with the family.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

Wife and I stayed for 5 nights in July.

Firstly this is in a very quiet area but on a great beach. We travelled in the off-season so was very quiet. We stayed in a deluxe pool view room.

Location - great beach, a number of restaurants on the beach are still open in the off season, giving cheap dining options only a short walk from the hotel. The hotels seafood restaurant was closed when we were there, but others were open. We fell ill for a night and used the room service dinner - this was ok but overpriced locally. You can walk to the shops at a stretch, and a Tesco Lotus supermarket is a 20 min (one way) relatively flat walk.

Facilities - Pools are great until it rains, then there is a stain in the water (possibly from leaf litter) that seems to take a while to clear. Internet hugely expensive and not worth it. Cherng Talay town - 35 min walk - has internet access places for about 10 baht for 15 mins. The catamaran was unavailable when I asked for it, but a decent Hobie canoe/wave ski was available for a paddle up and down the beach. There is also a little shop near reception that keeps a number of groceries for quite reasonable prices. I rented a car from reception too that was reasonably priced with good service. From your enquiry it usually only takes about 10-15min for the car to arrive for you. Can actually be cheaper to do this than take the very expensive taxi's opposite the hotel. We did take on of the Taxi's to the airport on departure. It did have good air conditioned service. Cost 600B one way which seems much better value than 400B return to the close supermarket.

Rooms - couldn't fault. No issue with hot water. TV channels limited compared with other hotels, but still plenty of Thai and English options if you are concerned with such things. Beds in Thailand are hard - this is our preference though. Bathroom clean with plenty of hot water. Balcony was small but usable for 2 people. Rooms well serviced. In room safe did not work, but I did not ask it to be fixed.

The exterior of the hotel is a little rund down as various posts mention, but it is nothing really horrific. Maybe a bit of paint here and there would bring presentation level right up again, but overall I had no problem with it (and can be a bit picky).

Food - decent breakfasts. Chef cooks eggs on demand. Decent variety of items too. Did not eat in the on site restaurants (far too expensive considering very tasty and cheap options on the beach). Did get room service one night, food was ok. A little bland. An ok option if for some reason you just need to stay in and don't mind paying more.

Staff were reasonably helpful with requests.

Probably would not stay again, not so much due to the hotel, but more that there is so much to see in the world that we might not get back there. We did enjoy our stay though.

This is a very quiet area so keep this in mind. There are good beachside dining options, but other facilities do require a decent walk or a car. Rainy day options are limited at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

Comfortable, more or less. But a wonderful beach, absolutely. Off-topic: a number of hilarious she-cats on the territory at breakfast :)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
perth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

We have just spent 4 nights at the Amora Beach Resort in Phuket. The hotel is advertised as a 4 star resort with fabulous pictures on expidia.com.

We were very disappointed with the hotel, it is nothing like the pictures. The hotel itself is very run-down, sheets and towels well worn and shabby. Staff uninterested and only one restaurant open. The worst part was the complete lack of hot water. We had a cold shower every day and when we complained (twice each day) they would restore the water for an hour or so. So if we went out shopping or swimming it would be cold again when we tried to shower.

The hotel staff seemed amused by our need for hot water. We don't know how they got their 4 star rating or how they have managed to retain it as we have stayed in other 4 and 3 star hotels in Bali and KL and all were superior to the Amora.

Overall it almost spoiled the whole holiday and we would never stay at that hotel again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

We had a party of 4 adults and 4 kids aged 11 to 14, and stayed in 2 deluxe pool rooms.
First the good...

The rooms were quite spacious, very new, and sat right at the main pool's edge on the ground floor. The air conditioning was the best of the 3 hotels we used during our Thailand adventure. The pool was always clean and had more than enough room for any guests to lounge around or swim.

The breakfast was fairly standard buffet fare but always fresh and enough variety to get the day started well.

The cleaning staff were pleasant and always had a polite "good morning" to offer if you bothered to acknowledge them.

The not so good....

A few agents had recommended Bang Tao for our trip, commenting that Kata and Karon were too far from anything and Patong was not really suitable for children. Well, I agree about Patong but I would have much preferred Kata or Karon to Bang Tao.... talk about nowhere near anything. It cost a fortune to get a taxi anywhere from the extremely rude taxi guys across from the resort, and the beach restaurants all seem to offer the same reasonably priced but tiny portioned menu.

The resort was quiet, far too quiet for me. There was no kids club organised, and barely any activities available in general. Perfect for the Euro tourists who like to lay in the sun, uninterrupted for 10 hours a day but lousy for all else. We ended up walking down the beach and using the pools in other resorts just to find other people who did more than impressions of beached whales all day!

The sewerage smell mentioned elsewhere was evident walking between rooms but not in the room. It was unpleasant but not overpowering.

The bad....

The front desk had no idea on several occasions and the communication between front desk and maintenance was atrocious! It took us 3 days and 7 visits or calls to the desk to finally get the 2 extra pool towels we were short, 2 days to have the safe opened in our room (where the previous tenant had decided it would be fun to lock it with their code before leaving, and 2 days for the other room to have there aircon adjusted.

The beds were so hard I seriously considered sleeping outside on the grass!

I would like to mention JoJO. He organises the afternoon beach football game every day and runs a tour agency and a clothes shop on the beach. He offered good prices for us on transport and tours and was always keen for a chat. I recommend his services highly for his professionalism and genuine attitude.

Overall the hotel was in good condition and the location on the beach was good. If you want a holiday where you never leave the resort and want quiet time on the beach or round the pool then this would be perfect. However, if you plan on doing anything else during your stay don't expect it to be cheap or east to get around.

Would I stay here again?
No. Bang Tao has other options with better organisation and facilities. But even then I don't think Bang Tao offers anything for my travel preferences. Next time I think about a beach area like Phuket I think I will book in Fiji again or Vanuatu!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Paris
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

This is my 5th time in Phuket. I stayed in Patong at the Duangjitt, Kata in Kata Palm Beach and Karon at the Hilton and wanted to go for a change. I did read the review on Bangtao Beach and it was supposed to be the nicest beach. Well I was disappointed by the beach and the hotel. It is not very clear and we did experience big waves. There were some dirts on the resort front beach and it was not clean until the end of the day. We had a superior room first, it was so old and then changed to a deluxe one. It was better than the superior but still very old. We had some problems with the shower but did not manage to call someone because the staff was not very helpful from the time we arrive to the rest of our stay. We get i think for what we paid for. When we checked in, questions were not answer properly, I am even not so sure if they could speak English, going somewhere by taxi or hotel transportation was a rip off. A lady at the breakfast was very rude to me because my son did not want to eat anything and I was doing him a sandwich to take it with me. You are not allowed to feed birds, to take a sandwich out of the restaurant, to feed the cats... when you ask for an extra towel for your kid the housekeepers are not happy. I was supposed to be on holidays and enjoyed it but I get stressed a lot so never again. The staff should be trained to make customers happy and not to make them angry or stressed.
We however met nice guests and had lovely dinners on the beach watching the sunset.
I was very happy to leave for Bangkok and had a great time at The Novotel Siam Square where everyone was taking care of you. See my review on the Novotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Amora Beach Resort? Share your experiences!