“Great training and very friendly” 5 of 5 stars

+66 88 017 3020
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Sumalee Boxing Gym in Phuket, Thailand, offers traditional Muay Thai training and much more. Sumalee Boxing Gym is the newest Muay Thai training camp in Phuket. It sets a new standard for Muay Thai training facilities on the island and is the only traditional training camp with a swimming pool, mini games pitch and air conditioned weights studio on-site. The Sumalee Ringside Restaurant is the only restaurant in the area that offers both local and international dishes all cooked by our experienced chef. Take a seat and enjoy your meal next to the training rings for a front row view of the action. Offers daily specials and a healthy 'Shake of the Day' to boot The Sumalee Studio offers a plethora of services from basic conditioning and general fitness, all the way up to long term weight loss & strength training programs. The staff have the quality and experience to help you reach your health & fitness goals.
“Great training and very friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have just spent a week at sumalee and had a great time. I found the staff and trainers to be very friendly and more than helpful. The food at the restaurant was lovely and the on site pool was perfect to relax around in between training.. The gym itself was not over crowded so you got 100% from the trainers. I did a one on one session most days with jacky, I found him very good and that he actually wanted to teach me and get the best out of me. Having trained in Thailand before I can say sumalee is the best place I have been too. It caters for all levels, from fitness to fighters. I hope to visit the gym again soon

SumaleeBoxingGym, General Manager at Sumalee Boxing Gym, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
It's a shame you couldn't have stayed longer! Maybe next time. Glad you enjoyed your stay.

Perth
10 attraction reviews
“Great experience. Will visit again !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Friendly knowledgeable trainers. Professional staff and management. Catered to exactly what we wanted. A great experience that we will repeat . ..hopefully again and again and again !!

Thank you and we are happy you enjoyed it!
Melbourne, Australia
7 attraction reviews
“Good Gym With Pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This was my third time back in Thailand to train Muay Thai, I like to try different gyms, and Sumalee had a few fighters there that I had trained with before. I stayed for a week this time.

I won't go into detail about the training, as you should be able to find out more about that on websites etc, but it is pretty standard training as far as I am familiar with, two sessions a day, bag work, pads, 1on1, trainers were skilled, equipment was fine, though I brought my own wraps and gloves and shin pads, but all that is for hire.

Sumalee is a smaller gym with limited onsite accommodation, which at the time meant there was not too many people training (which other gyms can over crowd). The large draw factor for this gym is the pool, it is definitely great to jump in the pool after a session, and to be able to lounge around a pool if you did not want to leave the gym.

The main downside for myself was the location, it was a fair walk in the heat (20 mins) to the closest "main street" which had massage and restaurants and shops, you are in Thai "suburbia", I'm sure more things will or have popped up since I visited as Thai's will see an opportunity to create a business around the gym.

Same with the beach, if you hired a scooter, you could get around of course, but (after having an accident on the last trip) I didn't want to ride, so I ate all meals at the gym, the food was fine, but it's always nice to get out. Lynne the owner did take me and a few other guests out to dinner the first night in her car which was nice and a great way to meet some of the others.

The more isolated location can also be seen as a positive, you are not surrounded by temptation (bars) if you are training for health and fitness.

I wouldn't see this as a deciding factor but something to take into account. The foreign co-owners Lynne and her daughter, along with another English bloke Mike that works there, were all very helpful, Lynne has been in Thailand a long while, at another gym too, speaks Thai so anything you need you can communicate with her and it's no problems.

Room was nice, standard size, double or queen bed, air con, cleaned daily.

When I visited last year the gym was still pretty new, growing and expanding and I know through their Facebook they have added more accommodation and services etc, so I suggest finding some more up to date information.

I like to try different gyms but would happily recommend Sumalee to any friends, giving them the information I have here.

Visited July 2012
Thank you for this positive review! You are correct, we have expanded since your visit and now offer plenty more services as well as added accommodation. Hopefully you will make it back to try them out :)
Bangkok, Thailand
“worth to try”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

i did 1 hour section, it was fun experience, the owner daughter is very nice girl, we got pick up with reasonable price. just the trainer was playing too much, not really concentrate on teaching seriously..

Visited January 2013
Gang G, Owner at Sumalee Boxing Gym, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Hi, many thanks for your review. I am pleased that the ancillary services we offered were to your satisfaction. I am sorry you were not as satisfied as you should have been with the training experience. Sometimes our trainers take a light hearted approach in an attempt to make the experience more enjoyable, especially for beginners. I understand that for some people this is not necessarily the right approach. Nevertheless, your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Singapore, Singapore
3 attraction reviews
“A wonderful time at Sumalee Boxing gym”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We spent a week training with the group at Sumalee, capped by going down to the Bangla Boxing Stadium to watch two fighters from the gym enter the ring.

Training at the gym was amazing exercise, and the rhythm of waking up early and getting a good workout in a really friendly environment totally changed the way we viewed Phuket as a holiday location.

While there are plenty of very serious fighters there, the gym was also very family friendly. We traveled there as a family with a 5 year old daughter, and all 3 of us took part in training. My daughter loved mock-fighting with one of the trainers, and running around the gym. The crowd's a mix of professional fighters, long term (1 month+) visitors, and casual visitors like us that were just looking for a really good workout and learning some Muay Thai.

Run by a British mother and daughter, and with a hilarious and excellent Thai head coach, it's hard to recommend this place enough. We're still trying to work out when we can go back, and if we can stay longer this time :)

Visited September 2012
We are still looking forward to welcoming you back! Oron is still here and hasn't changed one bit :)