“Fantastic for Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 61 Hotels in Thalang District
Chicago, Illinois
“Fantastic for Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

The Twinpalms was a perfect hotel for our honeymoon on Phuket. The staff at the hotel could not have been more accomodating to us. They had great suggestions for dinner etc. The concierge in the library helped us plan a ton of day trips (Phi Phi, Elphant Trekking) and they exceeded our expectations. The breakfast at the hotel every morning was great, big American type spread, that kept you full for most of the day.

The Beach Club is fantastic for just lounging and staring at the unbelievably beautiful Surin Beach. The food is very good at Catch, especially the Mango Sticky Rice and Green Papaya Salad (perfect lunch food)! After you have had enough sun for the day, watch the sunset with a cocktail in the sofas on the beach. It is heaven.

I loved that the hotel was far enough away from Patong to be quiet during the day, but you can take a short cab ride in if you want nightlife/sightseeing.

Do indulge in the massages at the spa! They are so reasonable priced compared to American Spas, that you can't help but go. The therapists are wonderful, and the tea in the spa is delish!

Go to Silk down the street for dinner, it is fantastic! The food is unbelievably good.

This is a perfect place for hooneymooners.....

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Herts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

Have just joined tripadvisor and wanted to write a review on the lovely Twinpalms! My husband and I stayed there for 10 nights in November 2007 after staying in Bangkok. We thought the hotel was fantastic. The staff that worked there are a mixture of Europeans (tend to be in mgt positions) and local people. They were all friendly and helpful. My husband left his wedding ring on a sun lounger by the pool and it was only the following morning that we noticed it was missing. We went straight to reception and it had been handed in by a member of staff- we so glad and impressed. We also enjoyed the very cool mac internet room at the hotel.
The standard room was well appointed and I have very high standards!! I loved the bathroom with the view onto greenery outside the glass wall. There were some very pleasant toiletries.
We went to the spa twice and had lovely massages. Ok not as cheap as the beach but then you are getting the 5 * treatment in the pretty spa with refreshing herbal tea and scented facecloths.
We ate at the hotel a number of times as the food was very good and tasty. Not cheap but you are getting it in 5 * style.We had something on the beach one lunch time and while it was cheap- we were both very ill after it!
Breakfast was amazing with great choice for everyone- could not fault it.
All in all a great hotel in a tranquil setting with wonderful staff. I would go back without hesitation.

• Liked — Stylish decor
  • Disliked — The beach
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

We stayed at the Twin Palms for 3 nights from 13 to 16 Dec 2008. If you've read my other review on The Racha, you'd notice I have a blooming love affair with SLH resorts.

The TwinPalms was everything it promised to be: Private, cozy and oh-so-chic. I marveled at the furnishings and lighting design within the entire compound. So much thought and care has been invested in the design of this place, it's a treat for your senses. The resort is located on the Surin bay which suited me very well. It was far enough away from the humdrum and chaos of Patong which represented all that I wanted to get away from. Surin was smaller and more intimate. On Surin, you won't find Macdonalds and Starbucks outlets. There are a few hip cafes and restaurants run by locals and right by the beach front as well as several cheaper and more rustic eateries.

While I love my stay at the TwinPalms, I pay attention to the little details and touches that make each trip special (you could say I'm hard to please). Hence, there were little annoyances that bothered me along the way but fortunately did not ruin the experience that the TwinPalms offered on the whole. Here are some of the things that made my stay great and others that annoyed me on occassions.

Arrival and Check-in:
We've been to phuket before and traveling from the airport is really convenient if you know where you're going. Just take the yellow metered taxi and you're set. That's what we did and we spent no more than 250 baht for the ride to the resort which took around 20 minutes.
Check-in was fuss free. Sure, we went the week after the policital turmoil in Bangkok ceased so things were a tad quieter in Phuket. But the Twin Palms looked like it was still at a rather full occupancy. Despite this, we arrived at 11am and way before the stipulated 2pm check-in, and we were immediately shown to our room. Right before that, along with the usual hot towels and welcome cocktail of honeydew, a member of the staff patiently went through details of perks and offers privy to resort guests and showed us the facilities within the resort.

Room:
We stayed in a Deluxe Lagoon Room and the sheer novelty of being able to step into a private (but shared) pool from our room's porch delighted us. The lagoon pool is separated from the main pool and is accessible by all guests staying in the Lagoon Rooms (deluxe and grand deluxe). Again, simple but modern furnishings and fixtures are used in the rooms with mainly dark woods and white-washed walls. There are 2 wash basins but no jacuzzi tub in the deluxe rooms, which is fine since you'll want to be outside most of the time anyway -- so why pay so much more for something you'll probably use just once? If you insist, it's available in the grand deluxe tier of rooms. And while you're at the toilet or in the shower, you'll look into a little green garden of palms behind the back of your room -- all within the air-conditioned coolness of your room, no outdoor baths at this resort, as far as I know.

We noticed there were 2 TwinPalms music CDs on our shelves but these were strictly for sale. I wish the resort would at least play one of these in the rooms hifi at all times. As it were, you could sample the CDs but only at the front desk or at the Library. One of the little things that annoyed me considering we paid premium prices to stay at the twinpalms, and you'd imagine something as trifle as a CD would be free for your enjoyment whilest you're a guest at the resort.

There were also 2 complimentary bottles of mineral water in the room. But these were small and we found that we had to replenish from the local convenient store daily.

Pool and shared resort areas:
It is true what the other reviewers mentioned -- chairs and beds surrounding the main pool get taken up very early. But true to the resort's rule, resort staff would come around to remove towels, books and other personal articles thrown over chairs that were left empty for too long by inconsiderate guests. These items would be kept at the pool bar for the owners to claim when they return. With such a policy, we were able to spend some quality time by the pool without incidence. Someone would come around a few times daily offering complimentary fruits to guests lounging by the pool. There was also wifi access at the pool and several other areas within the resort.

We loved our lagoon pool and swam in it daily. There were some families with children at the main pool and having our own pool offered a moment's respite from the noise although it was never to a point where it became a problem. My only complaint is that the lagoon gets narrow at certain areas and would probably make swimming through it a problem if you are really tall.

The entire compound was kept clean by a team of gardeners and cleaners who truly looked like they enjoy working there. We were greeted by smiles everyday and it made staying there so much more pleasant and personal. Our room was kept spotless and personal articles strewn about were very politely and unobtrusively arranged in an orderly manner.

Catch Beach Bar:
We had lunch at Catch on our first day there. Catch is the resort's beach front bar which is the perfect place to spend the afternoon. Great tunes and good food are the order of the day. We were just a little taken aback that the sun chairs on the beach came at a cost -- even to resort guests. And it weren't cheap either. Each chair cost a hefty 1000 baht. We were given a 50% discount as guests which reduced the rental of the chair for a day to 500 baht. Jolly. If you do your math, it would sound as much as a rip-off to you as it was to us. Surin beach was dotted with other local vendors offering sun chair rentals. While some were kept in poor condition and were downright ugly to behold, there were other beach front cafes and bars who offered well-kept sun chairs at much affordable prices. Again, I was peeved because you would think that one of the few priviledges as the resort guest is to at least enjoy free use of the resort's facilities. This wasn't the case. Did I mention that they also charge you for towel rentals at catch at 200 baht a piece? I thought it was outrageous. If you could offer it free at the pool, you could offer it free at the beach bar.

Breakfast:
The breakfast spread was good but not the best I've had. It was limited in terms of variety and only a few items were on rotation daily. I was getting very bored of it on our third and last day there. Otherwise there were a good selection of breads, cereals and fruits. There were also your standard fry-up selections and egg station. You could also choose to have your breakfast in bed but this is charged separately.

Silk:
Having read about this restaurant from previous reviews we, the self-proclaimed epicureans, thought we had to give it a try. It was possibly the best thai food we've had and we've had many! This warrants its own review but I shan't ramble on here. Take my word for it: it isn't cheap, but it's worth every baht! Have the front desk book a table for you and the Silk van will come and pick you up.

Service:
The staff at the TwinPalms were truly well-trained and unlike many other resorts, they were actually not under-staffed. Everyone was attentive and felt geniunely driven to want to make your stay the best one possible. In this, I really commend the resort's management.

Overall, I found my stay to be very relaxing. Having stayed at the TwinPalms, I realized the feeling of skipping a heartbeat when I'm greeted by the sea every morning is what makes me tick. Therefore, while the Twinpalms is very pretty with its lagoon and manicured gardens, I felt a little trapped. If you're like me, I would recommend a resort offering rooms with a sea view.

• Liked — The lagoon and their great service.
  • Disliked — Extra charges on sun chairs and beach towels. It's not as if we haven't already paid premium prices!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

Having looked at Twin Palms website when booking our honeymoon, I happily can say we were not disappointed. This place is fantastic and we would love to go back! We started out in a lagoon access room which was perfect and meant we didn't have to fight for the pool chairs (which do get claimed very quickly in the mornings). Privacy also wasn't an issue, despite a walkway on the other side of the lagoon. The whole resort has a lovely relaxed feel which is perfect for unwinding and relaxing. Surin beach is just a short walk across the road and it is much quieter than Patong, which is just too touristy. Breakfast at the Oriental Spoon is great, with a nice range of options including a different juice each day. There are plenty of cheaper options for meals down at the beach and we were never disappointed by them. The spa, although more expensive than the beach massages, is heaven.

The BBQ at Catch beach club is great if you are a seafood lover. However, if you don't or can't eat seafood there really aren't many options and therefore not worth the money. As a non-seafood eater I was very disappointed at the marketing of the BBQ. If we had known that it was more of a seafood buffet we wouldn't have gone to it.

The resort does provide internet access, with two computers in the library and a further two in the business centre (above the Oriental Spoon). We were there during the airport closures in Bangkok so it was impossible to get onto the two computers in the library. However, most people didn't seem to know about the two in the business centre so they were much easier to get onto. A previous review mentioned that the staff didn't help out during this time, which is true, however I must add that this was probably due to the fact that no-one knew what was going on and there was very little information coming from Thai Airways. However, we found that the staff were extremely helpful when our booking had run out and let us stay in the same room at the same rate, despite the rate changing at that time. When that room was no longer available, they happily moved us to a grand deluxe palm room, a level up from the room we were in, again at the same rate.

As other reviews have said, you can get the same spa products as those at Twin Palms just down the road at Lemongrass House. Their products are beautiful and we're now addicted.

All of our day trips were booked through Twin Palms as they are cheaper than if you book direct with the company, and we weren't disappointed with any of them.

All in all, this is a fantastic resort. It was the perfect start to our honeymoon and I'd highly recommend Twin Palms to anyone. We can't wait to go back!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2008

My girlfriend and i spent, from the 3th untill the 8th of november, 5 days at the Twinpalms in Phuket and i wanted to let you know that we had a great time and some unforgettable moments at the hotel, Catch one and the beachclub Catch.
From the day we arrived we felt at home and from the chauffeurs to the reception staff, everybody was equally friendly and everything we asked for was provided to us with a smile! This was especiallythe case when we went on a private daytour with 'catch one' (the hotel boat) to the Phang Nga islands, 'Kail' as we named him, was of excellent service to us and provided us with all the information we needed. And he was good for some laughs on to boat as well and made the daytour an unforgettable trip.
After 5 days when we had to leave the Twinpalms, because the hotel was fully booked after the 8th, so i booked the Banyan Tree for 10 more days, in advance, which was also a very beautiful resort with excellent service, but the feeling there was just not the same as Twin Palms.

We have been to Phuket twice now and we will definetly return and stay at the Twinpalms again (if possible...!) as it feels like a far away home from home.

Thank you very much for a unforgettable holiday.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008
marklaurenpdx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2008

After three nights at Banyan Tree, we moved to TwinPalms. Upon arrival, we were very exciting as the lobby is very modern. Had a great feel. Check in was smooth and we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite.

The room is ultra modern. Had all the bells and whistles that we'd expect. Beautiful art which is custom made for each room. Great outdoor sitting area with lounge beds and overhead fans.

The pool was nice. Nothing over the top but nice. During our stay, they were building double beds which will be a nice touch.

Breakfast I thought was real disappointing. It's nice, but not what one would expect from a top hotel in Thailand or Asia.

The beach area was nice. Catch I thought was a very classy place to spend a lazy day. I was disappointed that there was a cost of around $25 USD for two lounge chairs. We had lunch twice and I thought the food was quite tasty and somewhat reasonably priced for an upscale beach hangout. There were more affordable options, but this I thought was priced fairly.

What was disappointing was the overall service. Individually, the folks tried to help. But with trying to get out of Phuket with the airports closing, the hotel staff was ABSOLUTELY NO HELP. Granted, most travelers won't have to deal with this sort of situation, but one would hope this would have been a time the hotel "stepped up to help" their guests. The positive is that they plenty of computers the guests could use at no charge. However, Each guest was left on their own to figure things out. The hotel didn't even know what time the airport opened or where travel agencies were locating. VERY FRUSTRATING, which made a great hotel I thought a very good hotel, but not that of other hotels in the area I'm afraid.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

We arrived at the hotel for our 8 night stay with great hopes it would be as beautiful as we had read and seen on thier fantastic web site, we were not disapointed at all! We were upgraded from a deluxe Palm room to a 1bed Apartment when we arrived. It was twice the size with a four post King size bed and full size lounge room with 42' inch LCD and surround sound DVD machine. Our room was set up for a honeymoon arrivial which was great, this included a rose petal filled bath and Champagne and 2 dozen roses! The pools outside and garden when fantastic and the gardeners and cleaners were always friendly and smiling. The sun loungers were hard to get if you did'nt go to the pool before 10am, we noticed people were waking up and puting thier towels and books on them to save a spot then going and having breakfast and going back to the sun loungers hours later which was disapointing (one couple even got dressed and went out, leaving thier books and wet swimers on the sun beds!) Breakfast was great we thought, and we made the most of it! always trying different things each day to keep it enjoyable.
We had read in our rooms the cost of using the Beach loungers and it seemed over priced even thou we had a half price discount card! We live near the beach in Australia so I only went in the water on the last day plus the weather had been raining and over cast most of the stay (still about 32' most days!)
We stayed in Surin for 3 days before getting a taxi to Patong for some night shopping, WOW I can see why you pay more to stay at Surin, Patong is very busy, smelly and every 3 shop wants to sell you a suit! We were quite happy to leave that night back to our quite luxury hotel. (when getting a taxi from Patong to Surin dont mention Twinpalms, it will cost you MORE!)
After 5 days we were in need of washing some clothes, Twinpalms rates are very expensive. They charge per item for example 85Bt for a T-shirt, 40Bt for socks, 120Bt for a button up shirt and so on. We put all our clothes in to a bag and walked around the corner near 7/11 and got our washing done for us for 80Bt for a KG of clothes!
The service everywhere in the resort was great, we recommend you book Friday night for the BBQ at Catch.
Taste Resturant on the beach had the best food for $, and cocktales after 4pm were only 99Bt (no service tax also!) and tasted and looked great :)
For a romantic silver service dinner you cant go past Weaves Resturant next door in Manathai, The food was some of the best we have ever eaten. There arent many words to discribe it you just have to go there and try it!
We found the markets full of preety poor quility goods (like you would expect!) Lemongrass House a few doors down do some great local fragrances and oils and made excelent gifts to take back home.
Overall this resort caters very well to the couples who want great service in a quite and friendly resort. It's more expensive than most other places in Phuket but thats the cost you pay for personalised 5 star service and accomdation.

• Liked — Person service
  • Disliked — Basic things are expensive, and you still have to pay 10% service charge on top of everything
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Twinpalms Phuket? Share your experiences!