We had a family holiday with 5 people at The Residence over Christmas and New Years.
The accommodation was very good - as we were looking to move away from the typical hotel model - although perhaps a little "under" what we expected from reading other reviews.
We arrived in the evening and the free shuttle pick up from the airport was seamless. We arrived having booked a 3 bedroom villa 6 months in advance, but were shown to 2 bedroom villa (with a lounge/3 bedroom option). This was a little disappointing but demanded a change and got a 3 bedroom villa immediately, although it was a little older than the first. For example, the promised outdoor PA system was not there, nor the third bathroom. When we questioned this, we never got a response.
It seems some of the villas are older than others and/or used more frequently by their owners and therefore perhaps not maintained as well.
The amenities were overall very good, although small things - like fridges leaking, drains blocking and windows breaking - were an annoyance.
The private pool was lovely and kept clean. The upstairs sala area was also lovely for a BBQ.
Beware, however, of the added charges. We were not aware that short trips on the shuttle (to nearby Surin Beach or the supermarket) were not complimentary (mainly because the room information was not complete). We were then charged these costs when we checked out at 400 baht a trip (quite expensive compared to the taxis out the front).
The gym was great and also the spa centre is excellent. The Tesco Lotus is only a 5 minute walk away so you can stock up. However, bear in mind that the villas are not centrally located, so you should have a car (there is a garage attached to each villa). Local Surin Beach is brilliant.
The staff are wonderful (Mao in particular). Very helpful. Also the breakfasts in the room are lovely, although delivered cold most mornings (but easily heated up).
All in all, a great place to stay (especially for families), but beware of the relatively isolated location and also that some of the villas are older than others and/or better kept.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secluded private villas with the all comforts of home – situated on the stunning beaches of Phuket. The Residence Phuket – A Lantern Residence & Resort, highlights the best of vibrant Thailand, bringing this tropical locale to life with a casual elegance and heartfelt service.With villas ranging from one to three bedrooms, each with a balcony, private pool and lush garden, The Residence is a quiet green haven nestled amidst the traditional farms of Bangtao beside the Andaman Sea. Blending the best of local Thai customs with graceful, modern comfort and unrivaled levels of privacy, The Residence provides a uniquely refreshing holiday experience with the warmth and hospitality of Thailand at its heart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Residence Resort and Spa Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Residence Hotel Thalang
- Residence Hotel Cherngtalay
- The Residence Resort And Spa Retreat Phuket, Thailand